Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

General Battuta posted:

Please link the source, I want to read the responses

https://www.facebook.com/groups/novasquadron2014/permalink/1158479770861011/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Tractor Beams: so overpowered they need a significant nerf.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

Speaking of.....

Just picked up my Veterans today, and in it I received my first copy of the Tractor Beam. I had a question about it though.
According to the reference card text, it says, "The first time a small ship receives a tractor beam token each ROUND (emphasis mine), the opposing player may choose one of the following effects:"
So, my question is this - If I tag a ship with the Tractor Beam, I know I get to apply the effect. During the end phase, all tractor beam tokens are removed. On the NEXT turn, I tag the same ship again. Can I apply one of the effects again? (Barrel roll or boost?) I know wording in this game is everything, and can be tricky at times. The way I read it is a ROUND is essentially a MATCH, so I could only cause a ship to barrel roll/boost once, and if I were to tag it in multiple consecutive turns, I would only apply the -1 agility, and not the effect. If this is the case, the tractor beam is far less attractive to me as a cannon upgrade.
Please advise.

I always assumed a round is a planning/activation, action/combat/resolve and matches make up multiple rounds.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

lazerus06 posted:

I always assumed a round is a planning/activation, action/combat/resolve and matches make up multiple rounds.

This is 100% how I've interpreted it and literally never heard it said otherwise. Is there something somewhere that defines round other than being once every PS has been worked through and every ship has completed their maneuver/action if possible?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Why do nerds just make up rules for this game? How does anyone think a round is a match? Jesus christ.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

alg posted:

Why do nerds just make up rules for this game? How does anyone think a round is a match? Jesus christ.

Because in tournaments, a match is a round.

As in, "this tournament is 4 rounds long."

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

But no rules language on cards ever references tournament language.

In fact, Round is literally defined in the rules reference.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

We have all been using Tractor Beams incorrectly this whole time! It all makes so much sense now! Of course FFG wouldn't design a mechanic like that and let you move an enemy ship all willy nilly every game turn on a successful hit. It's once a game only! I hope they add this to the next FAQ!

loving hell.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I guess once Corran Horn does his double tap, he's not allowed to attack for the ENTIRE NEXT GAME

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

overdesigned posted:

I guess once Corran Horn does his double tap, he's not allowed to attack for the ENTIRE NEXT GAME

Explains why he isn't seen in the top tables. :smug:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

alg posted:

Absolutely this.

lazerus06 posted:

I've always considered activation, combat, etc. to be "phases", with a round being comprised of one of each of the phases. Not sure if that's what they're called in the rules, though.

overdesigned posted:

Chill la Chill posted:

Explains why he isn't seen in the top tables. :smug:

Just :lol:, brilliant

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
I consider a round one real-time day.

My games take a really long time to play.

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.
By the same logic focus and evade tokens don't get removed in between turns and the Comm Relay let's you carry evades between games.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

KongGeorgeVII posted:

By the same logic focus and evade tokens don't get removed in between turns and the Comm Relay let's you carry evades between games.

Imagine the amount of stress tokens Tycho would accumulate over the gamesrounds!

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

alg posted:

Well, Tomax Bren references flipping a discarded upgrade card faceup, which is a reference to the tournament rule that said you flip cards over instead of discarding them, which isn't even a tournament rule anymore.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Once Per Round:

Miranda Doni
Red Ace
Tomax Bren
IG-88B
Dengar

Jan Ors
Sabine Wren
C-3P0
Kanan

Gunner/Luke - If you ever use them, you cannot attack again this round at all.

Guidance Chips
Experimental Interface
Automated Protocols
Optimized Generators
Agent Kallus
Rebel Captive (presumeably the shot kills them)
Palpatine
Greedo
Rage (Reroll up to 3 dice every single time you attack during the "round")
Marksmanship (One Action to get a Super Focus for the rest of the "round")
Push The Limit
Expose (+1 Attack, -1 Agility the rest of the "round")

Hmm yes this sounds like a ruling I can get behind.

EDIT: OK actually Tomax gets to use an upgrade card twice so technically his ability isn't useless

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Jun 30, 2016

lazerus06
May 19, 2004
On the FF website:

The Game Round
X-Wing is played over a series of game rounds.
During each game round, players perform the
following four phases in order:
1. Planning Phase: Each player secretly chooses
one maneuver for each of his ships by using its
maneuver dial.
2. Activation Phase: Each ship moves and
performs one action. In ascending order of
pilot skill, reveal each ship’s maneuver dial, and
execute the chosen maneuver. Then each ship
may perform one action.
3. Combat Phase: Each ship may perform one
attack. In descending order of pilot skill,
each ship can attack one enemy ship that is
inside its firing arc and within range.
4. End Phase: Players remove unused action
tokens from their ships (except target locks) and
resolve any “End Phase” abilities on cards.
After resolving the End Phase, a new game round
begins starting with the Planning phase. This continues
until one player destroys all of his opponent’s ships.
Each of these phases is discussed in greater detail
over the next few pages

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Someone tell me how stupid it is to put R3-A2 on Wes and what I should do with him instead

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Improbable Lobster posted:

Someone tell me how stupid it is to put R3-A2 on Wes and what I should do with him instead

It's not stupid at all, Stress Jansen is amazing. Needs either VI or Adaptability, though, so he can gently caress with Omega Leader, Vader, and Soontir before they shoot. For a while there I ran him with R3-A2, VI, and Flechette Torpedo so that even if you blanked out you'd still double-stress and strip a token.

Stress Jansen is like Ant-Man. He doesn't care if he actually hits anything, he's just happy to be there.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Speaking of.....

Just picked up my Veterans today, and in it I received my first copy of the Tractor Beam. I had a question about it though.
According to the reference card text, it says, "The first time a small ship receives a tractor beam token each ROUND (emphasis mine), the opposing player may choose one of the following effects:"
So, my question is this - If I tag a ship with the Tractor Beam, I know I get to apply the effect. During the end phase, all tractor beam tokens are removed. On the NEXT turn, I tag the same ship again. Can I apply one of the effects again? (Barrel roll or boost?) I know wording in this game is everything, and can be tricky at times. The way I read it is a ROUND is essentially a MATCH, so I could only cause a ship to barrel roll/boost once, and if I were to tag it in multiple consecutive turns, I would only apply the -1 agility, and not the effect. If this is the case, the tractor beam is far less attractive to me as a cannon upgrade.
Please advise.

No a round is a turn

quote:

ROUND
A single game round consists of four phases resolved
in the following order: Planning phase, Activation
phase, Combat phase, End phase. The first round
begins after setup is completed.

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

So, I got into this game around 4 or so months ago. I've been slowly getting better but lately my green dice had decided to completely poo poo themselves.
Seriously, on the first shot fired at me last night by a Phantom against my Vessery, he modified into 4 hits at range 3 through a rock and I roll 5 blanks. This set the tone for the rest of the night.
Afterwards, in my despair, I came to an epiphany. What if I didn't have to roll green dice? What if I threw so many red dice at a high enough PS that my agility didn't matter?
This is the list I came up with:

http://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=...amed%20Squadron

When you have a gimmick you go all in. Line up and joust. Fly into range 1 as fast a possible and get those sweet sweet 5 reds. Zuckuss also has a tractor just in case you need to pull someone a bit closer. Man I hope the Protectorate Fighter has a decent dial.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I don't know what list you meant to link, but that's a triple Defender list.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Looks like Fenn Rau, Zuckuss and Talonbane to me.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!
So with the new Vets stuff, how do people feel about a Ruthless Vessery with the tractor beam? Being able to shuffle a ship song before dealing the ping damage sounds neat, and could potentially save you from hitting your own ships. Only issue I see is getting him to shoot first.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

The Gate posted:

So with the new Vets stuff, how do people feel about a Ruthless Vessery with the tractor beam? Being able to shuffle a ship song before dealing the ping damage sounds neat, and could potentially save you from hitting your own ships. Only issue I see is getting him to shoot first.

Well, I just don't know if it will be that good considering TIE/D is only going to give you the two-fer once per game.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Gate posted:

This sounds pretty good really if you give him the Tie/D title. Drag someone into range, Target lock, then shoot them. I'm not sure you even need the Ruthlessness though so you could go for VI.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Ruthlessness is funny for using the reactor beam to drag someone into range one of Soontir/Whisper/Unhittable Ace and do damage they can't roll dice against. Twice per turn.

I suddenly have a mighyty need to run two Glaives like that plus OL (or something 28 points)

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Strobe posted:

Ruthlessness is funny for using the reactor beam to drag someone into range one of Soontir/Whisper/Unhittable Ace and do damage they can't roll dice against. Twice per turn.

I suddenly have a mighyty need to run two Glaives like that plus OL (or something 28 points)

Yeah it does make blockers a bit more of a liability if they're shipping damage as well. It gets round the Tractors usual problem of wanting to be high in the PS order as you get to do the shooting as well.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Kinda flightpath-related: is the Crimson Skies minis game any good? A game store I just walked into has EVERYTHING for $1 each...

Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Some Numbers posted:

I don't know what list you meant to link, but that's a triple Defender list.

Yeah, sorry about that. Messed up the original link. Changed it out fast though, didn't think anyone caught that one.

lazerus06
May 19, 2004

Finster Dexter posted:

Well, I just don't know if it will be that good considering TIE/D is only going to give you the two-fer once per game.

Once per round, not game. A round is not a game.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Stop getting trolled you nerds, it was a copy-paste from the Nova Squadron facebook page. Nobody here thinks rounds are games!

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!

General Battuta posted:

Stop getting trolled you nerds, it was a copy-paste from the Nova Squadron facebook page. Nobody here thinks rounds are games!

But to know that, we would have had to go to the Nova Squadron Facebook page, and no one wants to do that.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

enigmahfc posted:

But to know that, we would have had to go to the Nova Squadron Facebook page, and no one wants to do that.

Then we could see graphs about how great the members are at playing X Wing

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You guys post on SA but get easily trolled by the likes of Duncan and Derek? :stare:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

I've seen a ton of guys who only play at home, not an FLGS, who make up rules in their head. At regionals it was that Phantom has to have its dial set before it leaves the Ghost or I can't release it.

I don't know who Duncan or Derek are.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

alg posted:

I've seen a ton of guys who only play at home, not an FLGS, who make up rules in their head. At regionals it was that Phantom has to have its dial set before it leaves the Ghost or I can't release it.

I don't know who Duncan or Derek are.

I can't get off without setting a Phantom dial either.

Wait what are we talking about

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006
I ran Calen Wong's Ghost and Biggs list from the Evergreen Tabletop Expo last night at FFG's Imperial Vets release, finished 3-1, and got a Biggs alt-art card for finishing 11th. X-Wing is a cool game.

What's everyone's strategy with the new colored bases? Manaroo gets blue, Wedge gets orange, but after that I'm at a loss. These seem like really good $8 investments.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I need to figure out a way to attach ball bearings to those stands without cutting the top off before I buy any. I really want some though. How many do you get in a pack, four?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I need to figure out a way to attach ball bearings to those stands without cutting the top off before I buy any. I really want some though. How many do you get in a pack, four?

I think 4 small, 1 large.

• Locked thread