Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

The dune lizard was the only ship I could afford to own in Star Wars galaxies. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I do too but it took my computer like 5-10 minutes to load naboo spaceport again after every mission. I forgot why I chose that one instead of a less populated one

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I like how the new scum faction "rewards" players like me who collect both factions anyway so I can have a sweet third one for almost-free.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm considering repainting my Firespray for kicks and so it stands out better. Has anyone who's repainted stuff had issues with just undercoating straight onto the mini and painting over?

Yes. I prefer painting straight on top of the factory paint. Undercoating is fine but I feel it is easy to make the coating too thick and obscure the paneling grooves.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So what I'm hearing is that lord vader desperately needs a systems slot so he can keep barrel rolling and passing out candy to his friends.

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Thanks, it's stuff like this I wanted to know. It'd be easier for me to spray on the basecoat though, since I plan on painting it white - have you had any experience using an airbrush?

I've had some but never with primer. I prefer brushing on the primer and I feel even the Vallejo brush-on primer had to be watered down to make it thin enough to not obscure anything. I used black primer - I don't know the white primer's characteristics.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Just saw the news report about scum on FFG. It's really annoying that the y-wing has extra cards to cover at least one extra model but the z-95s do not. Might have to do a bit of trading with people who buy the scum set and don't have the original z-95 cards.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

I'd gladly split the purchase, paying 15 for the xwing and xwing-related cards, and the other guy can keep all the transport stuff, but do you think anyone would actually go for that?

I settled on a 20/40 split with a friend for the transport (remember that you're getting exclusive cards so paying a bit more for your portion is expected) and a 25/65 split for the blockade runner for C3po/Han/Leia/r2. Luckily the blockade runner is online for $50 and had store credit for the transport so I was able to get the x-wing and cards for a decent price.

I don't see what the problem is unless you're planning to go to regionals/nationals and it's the nature of the beast. Magic has it's exclusive commander cards too and that's how they make their money.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

signalnoise posted:

So the option is either enjoy the fact that further cards can be gained through card packs, or say "you should get suckered too because I got suckered." I never understood this point of view.

No. That is not what I wanted to get across. It was merely that that's the only choice if you want to play in tournaments. I troll and argue about reprinting heavily in the magic thread all the time even though it would cause my ~cardboard investments~ to deflate in value.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh ok. I figure it could across that way with the words I used: "I don't see the problem..."

As for scum tricks and tips, I don't know if it'll be that much different than what we already have. We have stress as a resource management factor now. Rebel captive, r3-a2, tactician, etc. We have howl runner-like buffs for friendly ships and I can imagine enemy debuffs will be inevitable. I hope that maybe we can get an ion bomb to go with the torpedo.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm still disappointed that Paul lost his match. We were cheering him on and hoped he would take another win home to nova squadron.

KO Derf posted:

I recommend watching that short interview with the new designers. They specifically mention that titles are a way to bring things up to date. They also talk about keeping the classic movie ships relevant.
It's easy to imagine them making Rogue or Wraith Squadron titles to give X-Wings access to things like the s-loop, or a system upgrade slot, or whatever the new hotness is.

Ya I imagine they could use titles to upgrade the x-wing into the c-e series. It'd be similar to the super falcon and hornet designs in their attempts to keep them viable. RIP tomcat.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

He's been playing with a falcon for a couple months and the meta around nova has been anti-anti-phantom for a while now. The double and triple lambda lists have been the mainstay for a while and I assume he, like I, has been able to maneuver around those so he took the list anyway.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You can see the effects of tournament/convention-exclusive products in YGO vs. magic attitudes. People of all sorts play both games of course but in my experience people were bigger jerks in YGO due to the drive to with exclusive playmats and cards.

There are convention-only magic promos but they host enough of them that they are actually cheaper than the normal copy for at least a year.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

SageNytell posted:

Fixed that for you. It is my dream.

How does the fanbase for X-Wing at local stores seem to be? I understand every store is different, but some friends are encouraging me to try the local X-Wing nights. I'm concerned by the fanbase I've seen for a lot of other games at my FLGS - I would never do a Magic night with strangers after the poo poo I've seen, for example. Does X-Wing tend to attract a more mature audience due to the slightly higher buy-in cost?

edit: yub yub motherfuckers

Higher buy-in cost just attracts spergs if we look at war hams' clientele. X-wing attracts people who like pew pew noises and the movies so it's a bunch of cool dudes. Fly casual is the motto for the nova squadron. It helps that the rules and balance is tight so there are no grognard arguments. In my experience the playerbase is older and many have kids. They're the cool dad types.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Are you in the NOVA area? I live in Waldorf and would love to find a group of people to pew pew spaceships with.

Yep but I'm in school now so I'll be back during winter break. Ask to join the nova squad Facebook group and ask around or look for events.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

overdesigned posted:

The owner of my FLGS went up to GenCon, he had Very Important Gamer badges for him and a friend so was able to come back with 4x of each, and sold 3 of them on first-come-first-serve basis.

That's pretty cool of him. Sounds like he bought them at retail and brought them back for his loyal customers or did he get his typical wholesale prices ?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TarDolphinorShark posted:

I have never played in a tourney and only ever really played fun games with friends but I am seriously considering entering one on Saturday. Will I survive any length of time by taking my usual lists of "This looks cool I want to take it because I liked this ship in the movies" I usually play Rebels and I have;

Core set
X wing expansion
A wing Expansion
B wing Expansion
E Wing Expansion
Millenium falcon Expansion
The huge transport

What do I need to do to play fun but still not get trampled?

Assuming the huge transport is the Tantive 4, you can run a tricked out falcon with a tricked out corran horn or wedge. If you had a Z95 you could run fat Han (C3PO, falcon, veteran instincts, Luke, engine upgrade), Biggs, and Talon squad pilot. The problem is filling out points with rebels and the Z95 fills that role.

If it's the rebel transport, you can run Tarn Mison with the astromech that lets you spend target locks to force rerolls. Tarn + Biggs + Wedge + filler A-wing might do alright. Or independent fighters like Tarn + wedge + ibtisam/ten numb or Wes Janson and try to shoot the opponent first.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 14:46 on Aug 21, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Ya predator is better because of attaching focus. I don't think his comment was about that. Predator only has a bonus against PS2, meaning the dagger isn't affected.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Pro-tips for newbies:

Measure your ranges and learn distance between straights vs. rulers. 5 straight = range 2. 1 straight = base, 2 straight = large base. You can abuse this when you measure for target locks too.
Rule of 11: assuming both ships are at the edge of their deployment zone, the range between them is 11 forward for range 1 shooting.
Turns line up to your ship's 40 degree firing line. Banks almost line up to this line as well but includes your ship. Use the above to help maneuver through asteroids.
Pinwheel formations where ships are offset vertically and horizontally allow for incredibly tight formations that don't need a 1-base room between them - lol assault missiles. Practice your formations so you know what can be achieved. Harder with larger bases but the general rule of thumb is inside turns longer, outside turns shorter.
In general, focus is better for 3 dice, target lock and evade is better for 2. Barrel rolling is best - :mad: Baron Fel!
Asteroids should be placed in large squares with 1.9 range between them (so they can't place an asteroid inside) if you have lower maneuvering than the opponent. This includes swarms. Opposite for agile, low-ship count builds.
Focus fire. A ship continues to fire at full effect unless it's been dealt a critical hit. It will still continue to block and fire until it's downed.

Last: using a low skill large (or small, but harder) ship to create train crashes and sweet no-shooting zone is totally rad.

Hope this big effort post I wrote up cuz I'm bored in class helps.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Sep 1, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Thank you for the correction. Trying to visualize things in class without models is tough.

Caddrel posted:

I hadn't heard this before, what's the reasoning?

I know that focus and target lock have the same probability for rolling a given number of hits (counting a critical hit as a hit).
Given a probability is the same, focus is more flexible. Usually a pilot will only ever have 3 of either stay but that's where you get into skill #, hp left on target, etc. It's a decent general rule.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Any word on wave 5 release dates? I checked the GTM mag and it said October for the 2 big ships but nothin about rebel aces.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Oh boy is this leading to another falcon whine? Reminder that you need to use 60+ points to even make a competitive falcon that only puts out 3-4 shots/turn.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

There would be if they made ordnance for large ships only. Maybe cheaper variants of current missiles offset by the large ship's price.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I don't think a falcon build without a gunner is all that great since you're looking for the almost-guaranteed hits because that's all you have going for you on the falcon. Of course, if it's a support falcon in a 2-ship list or using stronger ships than 3xZ-95, feel free not to include it.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Yeah, I can probably drop it now that the must-kill predator is on the decline. I think the nova area has been ready and prepared for the next step in the meta change which is large ships. I still do well with the 64-point han + 3 z-95s against double/triple large ship + phantom or baron fel builds but I've had trouble against the 3-4 phantom lists due to higher PS. I might move to my friend paul's list and start using tala + biggs. With a Luke-gunner drop you can probably fit a chardaan refit a-wing in there.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lunatic Pathos posted:

I haven't run a Falcon, but I think the idea is that all hits still isn't enough. You might end up just stripping the opposing evade or focus. Then you need gunner + predator and grab three more hits.

Right. Whisper and baron Fel usually have a protective focus and evade that must be stripped first. However, if the larger meta switches to big ships with 2 evade at most, I think it'll be safe to drop gunner from Han.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

How prevalent are Phantoms in your meta? That would almost be a non starter here for me with the National Champ playing exclusively Whisper + VI at my store.

I'm hoping Paul wins world champ again so we can once again lord it over everyone else. :smug:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

As much as I miss the squint swarm, I think it's effectively been replaced by the phantom swarm. That extra die is really good and they more or less fly like x-wings after decloaking so it's not too bad.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Indolent Bastard posted:

Case in point.
I picked it up from the x-wing books but I could've sworn it was referred to that on one of the cards. Maybe an LCG card?

e: \/ \/ We can always hope they'll show up in scum and villainy. They did dress up as a misfit band of pirates, after all.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Sep 8, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So my store found a bunch of misplaced shield token bags from way back. They're using it for prizes for the next few months. I needed some and holy cow they are going for big bux on eBay! Guess what I'm using to pay for the next several waves. :D

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Looks like my store started running a lot of falcons cuz of how much I dominated with it for two months. Weekly tournament is tonight and I want more shield tokens or a nicely painted ship.

I'm unfamiliar with a falcon-heavy meta but I'm assuming that 3 Z's is worse than a higher PS z with a Biggs or tarn Mison? I've only ever played against a falcon list once and I've noticed that it's better to try and shoot the falcon first instead of the support ships because of the point weight and the survivability of the falcon in the first place.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Han, C3PO, engine upgrade, falcon title, gunner or Luke skywalker, predator or veteran instinct. It is specifically designed as a counter against phantoms.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

He can be used as a support ship (fat bait) for Han.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Nope. It's the "next-generation X-wing" which is based on the concept art which the Headhunter is itself based on. :v:

Yeah I'm hoping we get nice T-65c or d on top of the T-65b we currently have in the game as a result. Don't think it had anything better aside from performance upgrades the same way the US upgrades legacy fighters but maybe we can get cheaper x-wings in our board game as a result.

Imagine if they actually made an Ewok pilot in the movie :allears:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's funny that people accept these leaks as real leaks when most of the time you see leaks they are blurry poo poo that shouldn't happen with HD camera phones in TYOOL 2014. Like I would believe that you'd have this quality of leaked pics taken from a plane or heli flying by lol

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

But...the ability to choose either is what makes focus even a choice. If you had to choose either, target lock and evade would just be the default choices. Target lock gives you a whole .5 reroll instead of .25 on a focus and evade just straight up gives you a free 1.0 die.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That's really good. One of the stores I play at recently found a collection of previous year's gear they haven't used yet. It is a good way to catch up with nice promos that are often used. Wedge, oversized Han, and old tokens are nice even though we're getting new focus variants this winter. I'm up to 5 shield bags which I'll be selling for the next several waves. :3:

In other news, I'm almost done painting my destruction of Alderaan mural on top of my falcon. What should I paint on the bottom just as a sweet Easter egg/ falcon destroyed bonus? I'm not that great at freehand but should be able to make simple designs.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

alg posted:

arghh we started doing "casual" leagues (raffle tickets based on games played/won) at my store. shields are the only thing I don't have, I played a ton of games and got raffle tickets in there, 4 bags of shield tokens went out to new players when they did the drawing.

I'm glad they at least went to a good cause. I know of some scummy LGSs that would've pocketed the better promos to sell on eBay but thankfully I don't think they've caught on to x-wing popularity and stick to doing that to magic cards until wizards stops sanctioning them. I think I will end up keeping 2 bags cuz that should be enough for anybody. BBBB only uses 20 shields but who knows if there will be a way to pack even more.

E: this also reminds me of when I remember whining about stores charging too much for tournaments and here we are finding old promos all over the place. I'm just glad the stores here are now charging only $5 entry instead of $10 when it wasn't as popular. Same prizes, albeit tougher matches, and more interesting builds.

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 25, 2014

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Did you play against any swarms or Baron, whisper /echo, and lambda? If so how did they do? I might try this on Tuesday but I'm worried about quadruple b-wings and phantoms as that is the latest flavor of the month in this store.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

pbpancho posted:

Played two Phantom lists. One was Whisper, one wsa Echo. Echo had 2 PTL Sabres and an Obsidian along, Whisper had VI Kath and Dark Curse.

Also played Wedge/Luke/Biggs, a really creative Hobbie/Garven/Biggs/Blount list and Etan/Biggs/Tala/Tala. Nobody around here is running 4B since they're easy lunch for well flown Phantoms. If you expect to see a lot of Soontir/high PS interceptors and the like, I'd put VI on Keyan too, and go for the initiative bid to make them move first, than use AdvSensors and Engine/barrel roll to arc dodge them. I plan to test a build like that as well as swapping in a Bandit or Tala for the HLC and APT.

Sweet. I'll do some testing tonight for tomorrow's weekly tournament (lol shield bag #6 if I win). I'd like to try a new list cuz I haven't played with my b-wings in a while. Do you typically deploy them on opposite flanks or together? What does your asteroid clumping look like? I'm thinking with that list your opponents will try to spread them apart so the best thing you can do is form a crescent and barrel roll out of the way whiling hoping your opponents crash.

The other list I was going to try was:

Han - falcon, C3PO, VI, EU, gunner
Blue with sensors
Prototype A with refit
Way more HP and survivability than previous Han support ships. I might try it if there isn't a 4-sigma list tomorrow because good god those things wreck Han in one turn if I make a mistake. I think I'm retiring my Han list after the decimator arrives because while I'm decent with him now it's a bit tiring.

I'm just glad that with the new decimators coming out we won't see rampant phantoms much longer.

E: if I remove all the munitions from your list you can squeeze an a-wing with refit in there. Sure you could go for a Z instead for the initiative bid but a-wing! It's been a long time!

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Needed more practice with the ABE list so I just used biggs, fat han, and A wing. Lost first by 11 points but still got to pick from the same pool as the first place guy. Got a small box of shields now. :D

I don't know how Paul does it but I manage to lose Biggs frequently. Those 25 points add up when it comes to tiebreakers.

• Locked thread