Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

The X-Wing Miniatures game from Fantasy Flight Games puts you in the role of a squadron commander, leading a collection of Rebel/Resistance or Imperial/First Order (or Scum & Villainy, starting with Wave 6) ships against an opponent in a tactical tabletop dogfight.

The image above is the game's original starter set, which contains one Rebel X-Wing, two Imperial TIE Fighters, and all the movement templates, tokens, cards, and dice that two players will need to enjoy a simple game.

As part of the September 4th 2015 "Force Friday" marketing push for merchandise tied into Star Wars Episode VII, Fantasy Flight released a new core set for X-wing, using Resistance X-Wings and First Order TIE Fighters instead of the Galactic Civil War versions from the original core set. This also introduced new sub-factions. Resistance ships can be intermixed with Rebel/New Republic ships freely, and the same goes for First Order ships and the Empire. Also as part of this new core set is a new and improved Damage Deck.

How to Play
Players secretly set maneuvers for each of the ships under their command using maneuver dials:
Once all maneuvers are set, they are revealed and played out in order of each ship's pilot skill.
After moving, ships can take one of various actions, including Evading incoming attack, Focusing to improve offense or defense, Barrel Rolling out of the target sights of enemies, or a number of other actions granted from crew, droids, weapons, etc.
Then comes combat, where ships can each make a single attack on an enemy ship in the path of their weaponry.

Damage is tracked using a special deck of cards which can function as either simple damage indicators or flipped over to have special critical hit effects.

Expanding the Fleet

Expansion ships for X-Wing are primarily sold individually, with waves of 2-4 ships coming out semi-regularly. There are also a selection of two-packs and Huge ships for Epic level play taking the fight beyond snubfighters. Every expansion includes all the tokens, bases, and cards needed to field the included ship(s).

Wave 1: X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Y-Wing, TIE Advanced

Wave 2: Millennium Falcon (YT-1300), Slave 1 (Firespray Patrol Craft), A-Wing, TIE Interceptor

Wave 3: HWK-290, Lambda Shuttle, B-Wing, TIE Bomber

Wave 4: Z-95 Headhunter, TIE Defender, E-Wing, TIE Phantom

Wave 5: YT-2400, VT-49 Decimator

Wave 6: Scum and Villainy Faction; StarViper-class attack platform, M3-A Scyk fighter, IG-2000 (Aggressor assault fighter), Most Wanted pack (A Y-Wing with a new S&V paint scheme, 2 Z-95 headhunters with a new S&V paint scheme, and conversion bits to make Slave 1 and HWK-290 S&V faction)

Wave 7: K-Wing, TIE Punisher, Kihraxz Fighter, Hound's Tooth (Modified YV-666)

Wave 8: [The Phantom (Attack Shuttle), The Ghost (VCX-100)], TIE Advanced Prototype, Mist Hunter (G-1A Starfighter), Punishing One (JumpMaster 5000), T-70 X-Wing (The Force Awakens X-Wing), TIE/fo Fighter (The Force Awakens First Order TIE Fighter)

Wave 9: ARC-170, TIE/sf (The Force Awakens Special Forces TIE), Protectorate Starfighter, Shadow Caster (Lander-class Pursuit Craft)

Wave 10: Quadjumper, Sabine's TIE Fighter, Upsilon-Class Attack Shuttle, U-Wing, TIE Striker

Wave 11: Auzituck Gunship, Scurrg H-6 Bomber, TIE Aggressor

Wave 12: Alpha-class Star Wing (Assault Gunboat), M12-L Kimogila fighter, Phantom II (modified Sheathipede-class Transport Shuttle)

Wave 13: TIE Silencer, B/SF-17 Heavy Bomber (Resistance Bomber)

Wave 14: TIE Reaper, Saw’s Renegades (An X-Wing and a U-Wing with unique paint schemes)

Aces Packs: Imperial Aces (Two TIE Interceptors, each with a unique paint scheme), Rebel Aces (An A-Wing and a B-Wing with unique paint schemes), Imperial Veterans (TIE Bomber and TIE Defender, with unique paint schemes), Heroes of the Resistance (a YT-1300 and a T-70 X-Wing, updated with The Force Awakens sculpts), Guns for Hire (a StarViper and a Kihraxz fighter, with unique paint schemes)

Huge Ships: Rebel Transport (GR-75; includes a pack-in X-Wing with a unique paint scheme), Tantive IV (CR-90), Imperial Raider (original ship designed by FFG, includes a pack-in TIE Advanced with a unique paint scheme), Gonzati class Imperial Assault Carrier (includes two pack-in TIE Fighters with unique paint schemes), C-ROC Cruiser (Scum faction, includes a pack in M3-A Scyk fighter with a unique paint scheme)

Accessories: Dice Set, Playmats (Comes in Starfield, Yavin, Bespin, and Endor designs), Replacement Bases and Pegs (Comes in a variety of fun colors), Maneuver Dial Upgrade Kits

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I need 2 core sets?
Maybe. Getting a second core set provides you with a second set of movement templates and dice, and is a cost effective way of getting 2 more TIE Fighters and an X-Wing. If you're going to be playing a lot at home or with people who don't have their own gear, then having the extra bits and bobs on hand will prove very handy.
-In tournament play, both players are required to have their own damage deck, so if you're fielding fleets for yourself and a friend, you'll need 2 core sets' worth of damage decks.

Do I need the X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions, since those ships are in the core set?
The X-Wing and TIE Fighter expansions have completely unique pilot cards (with their own attendant effects) compared to the core set. If you want to use Wedge Antillies or Howlrunner, yes you'll need to grab those expansions.

The same goes for the Force Awakens core set and the Wave 8 Resistance X-Wing and First Order TIE Fighter. The individual upgrades contain cards not found in the core set.

Is it true that certain upgrade cards are 'exclusive' pack-ins with certain ships
Yes. Each expansion pack comes with its own assortment of pilots, ship upgrades, etc. Some cards have only been present in one expansion thus far. In casual play, it is not uncommon to proxy cards that you need more of or simply don't have at all, but in tournament play, a physical copy of a card is required in order to field it.

What ship scales exist?
Currently there are 3 basic sizes of ships, Small (X-Wings, TIE Interceptors, etc), Large (the Falcon, Slave 1, Lambda Shuttle, the upcoming Wave 5 ships), and Huge (Transport and Tantive IV). The small and large ships are all in scale with each other (1/270 scale), but the huge ships had to be made at a smaller scale to keep them reasonably sized for table play.

What's the best way to store all these ships and cards?
Many goons use some manner of Plano case. This particular model has room for most currently released ships (I personally have 2 of everything except the large ships) other than the Huge ships as well as all of the tokens and cards.

What ships should I get?
Pretty much anything that looks cool to you. The game has proven to be pretty well balanced thus far, so there really aren't any Must Have ships. That said, the Falcon has been very prevalent in the current meta, so if you're planning on getting into tournament level play as Rebels, grabbing one of those early on won't hurt.

Is there any good place to theorycraft before buying lots of ships?
Yes, here's a goon recommended squad builder. There is also an official online tool-set, that features a collection tracker and mission creator.

Which of the two core sets should I buy?
Thread opinion incoming
My personal opinion is just go with whichever one has the ships you think look cooler. At its heart, the game is completely the same.

More Information

Fantasy Flight Games' X-Wing homepage

X-Wing Mission Control - FFG's mission creator and collection tracker

FFG's video tutorial (This is good. Watch it)

Thread for Fantasy Flight's other Star Wars games (Including the fleet-level miniatures game, Armada; and the tabletop boardgame, Imperial Assault)

jivjov fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Feb 14, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Commonly Used Acronyms and Nicknames

PTL = Push The Limit, an Elite Pilot Talent
EPT = Elite Pilot Talent, a possible upgrade for pilots
EI = Experimental Interface, a unique Modification upgrade
Prockets = Proton Rockets, a Missile upgrade
ACD = Advanced Cloaking Device, a TIE Phantom-specific Modification
ATC = Advanced Targeting Computer, a Sensor upgrade
VI = Veteran Instincts, an Elite Pilot Talent
CM = Countermeasures, a Large ship-specific Modification
EU = Engine Upgrade, a Modification (Could also mean Expanded Universe based on context)
HLC = Heavy Laser Cannon, a Cannon upgrade
FFG = A company that will hypnotize you into giving them all of your monies in return for little plastic spaceships

jivjov fucked around with this message at 13:23 on May 18, 2015

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
As your new thread overlord OP, feel free to post or PM me if you think anything should be added in to the post.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Carteret posted:

I hope you got that edit key primed for after the In Flight Report tomorrow. I can't wait to see what's going in that empty spot in the display case :getin:

Also, are we going to make this the X-Wing/Armada megathread?

With how big X-Wing is, I wasn't gonna put Armada stuff in the OP. If someone makes a thread for it, I'll totally put a link to it in the OP though.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

And to continue the old joke, add a handful of months to whatever date they set. I love FFG, but they like the wooshing noise that deadlines make as they soar by.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I wish I got to play more than I currently get to. I can never seem to make it to my FLGS's game nights or tournaments(I work evening shifts a lot), and my housemates are only rarely up for a game.

I bought one of each Wave 4 ship the week they were available and today was the first time any of them saw any play.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

pbpancho posted:

Played in flight 1 at Nationals today. Ran dual Falcons with Predator, went 5-2 and qualified for Saturday! The Decimator, Outrider, and Rebel Aces look fantastic!

I don't even know what cards are in Rebel Aces...I just NEEEEEED that repainted B-Wing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah, I buy the majority of my X-Wing (and other FFG stuff) from my FLGS, but every now and then I find a deal that's too good to pass up. My 2 Star Wars RPG core books are from amazon, but I've purchased every supplant at full MSRP from the shop.

They let me prepay my transport and Tantive GameStop style though, which was super handy.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

X-Wing is their number one selling game, they are making an online toolset

edit: new faction :/

Apparently this can convert the HWK-290 and Slave 1 to Scum and Villainy. Pretty disappointed, I wanted a Rebel Aces 2 for Y-Wings :/

Holy poo poo those new ships are cool.

EDIT: What's the pictured ship on the first slide? It doesn't match the Wookiepedia pics of either the Star Viper and the M3-A, and I can't quite make out the name of the 3rd one.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Aug 15, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

IG-2000, IG-88's ship.

Didn't catch the I, thanks much!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, Wave 6 ships added to the OP. Someone ping me if/when good pics go up!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Caddrel posted:

My god.

Also, so glad they are going into more crazy EU than making the ugly Episode 1-3 stuff.

I'm surprised that we're getting a new faction this late..I would have thought that would be something added in like Wave 2 or 3 or something.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Yep; there goes all my money.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Caddrel posted:

I'm guessing it's because they still had lots of iconic ships from the films to release through wave 3. They probably didn't plan on another faction until last year or so when it was clear the game was a huge success and they would run out of ships that fit either Rebel or Imperial.

I hope they get the rules and feel right, but they've done so well so far that I trust them to do that. What I'm most excited about is that they may come up with new rules for 3 player games!

Oooh, I didn't even think of that; I'd be down for a 3-player match.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

oh my goodness
http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4994

just drain my bank account dry, FFG

Oh my god this looks amazing.

Okay, do we want a thread for "Other FFG Star Wars stuff" with the Empire vs Rebellion card game, Armada, and Imperial Assault? Or do we want to roll in Armada to here, Empire vs Rebellion in the LCG thread, and just keep Imperial Assault in the Board Game thread?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

LumberingTroll posted:

Until its actually out, there isnt even much to talk about. same with Imperial Assault. a single FFG Starwars thread is probably fine for now.

Yeah, X-Wing, the LCG, and the RPG are all big established games in their own right. I'll whip up a FFG Star Wars general thread for discussion of the smaller stuff. If Armada or whatever becomes as huge as X-Wing, it can spin off into its own thread later.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Tippis posted:

It was pretty much inevitable, wasn't it? I seem to recall it being discussed a while back in the old thread and that's pretty much where they have to go to keep spitting out ships.

I was honestly expecting them to go prequel first, give us GAR and CIS factions with ships from the films. I'm surprised that the now-Legends EU is getting so much love from FFG still.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arrgytehpirate posted:

Despite many, many awful things the EU has wrought, dumb ships are not one them. Except the Sunkiller.

Please give us uglies FFG

If ships weren't $15 each, I'd be kitbashing my own uglies...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, here's a thread for Fantasy Flight's other Star Wars stuff

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

Just got my first ships in the mail. Pretty cool little figures I have to say, and way more little fiddly bits than I expected!

Yeah, FFG is known for their fiddly bits. Honestly I wish they (or someone) would make an Action Dial that worked just like a maneuver dial but let you select Focus, Evade, whatever to cut down on the number of tokens.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Leo Showers posted:

Gladiator-class Star Destroyers are cool, but not as cool as the VSD. The plain old scum ships don't really interest me at all, I don't really know how they'll be different from Rebel ships we already have.

The repainted Z95s and Y-Wings probably won't have different stats from the regular ships, but we'll probably see different pilot abilities.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

What's the best way to store everything? My current solution is running out of room.

Oh hey, that's in the FAQ.

I personally use a Plano 3952 (http://smile.amazon.com/Plano-Double-Cover-Tackle-Organizer/dp/B001ECQPVQ/ref=sr_1_28?ie=UTF8&qid=1408066020&sr=8-28&keywords=plano) for my stuff, with all the Pilot and Upgrade cards in a standard binder. That holds at least 2x of every ship except the 3 big ones.

That said, once Wave 5 hits, I dunno what I'm gonna do. Probably drop some serious cash on some of that custom cut foam poo poo.

EDIT: Speaking of...I really wish I could get custom cut foam trays...Everything I see doesn't have quite the distribution of slots I need for my collection.

jivjov fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 16, 2014

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

zVxTeflon posted:

The battlefoam site has a thing that lets you customize it.

edit: here http://tray.battlefoam.com/tray.html

I love you.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Indolent Bastard posted:

Friends don't let friends buy battlefoam.

Do they have a bad reputation or something? Or too expensive?

I just need something I can keep all these plastic ships in, especially when Waves 5 and 6 hit.

Which means I really need to wait to order this stuff until Wave 5 hits and I can have a slot for the YT-2400 on there.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lungboy posted:

In a similar vein, do people generally buy card protectors for their pilot cards? Do standard CCG protectors fit?

All my cards are in appropriately sized Fantasy Flight sleeves and then placed in a binder full of 9-pocket pages. The upgrade cards fit two-each to a slot sideways (and I just double up identical cards so nothing unique is buried behind anything).

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FuSchnick posted:

Is there really a need to sleeve cards in this game? It's not like you shuffle/handle them constantly.

Given that there's no way to replace a card without buying a $15 (or $30 or $100) ship, the cost of a few packs of sleeves is really easy to swallow.

I still need to just go buy several cases of sleeves and get my LCG collection taken care of though...

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Is there a nicer shot of the wave 1 ships I can use for the OP? The one we've got is fine...but it really stands out compared to the fun formation-over-space-feature pics of the other waves.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

So it's great they're coming out with so much stuff for this great game, but maybe they ought to come out with Rebel Aces first and do one thing at a time.

I just want Rebel Aces to come out already :(

It's not like wave 5 and 6 have delayed Rebel Aces at all. If I recall, RA is on the boat already. It's done, developed, manufactured, and is being shipped back to the states.

This is the stuff coming out after RA, not preempting it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Shipping hell, they've already been released at GenCon. Sold out quick too, but not before I was able to grab one. :D

Any surprises? Or do we already know everything in there?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Devlan Mud posted:

Man, I hope we get Hound's Tooth and Punishing One in the next wave after these ones.

I'd put money on one or both being in Wave 7. Makes me think though..,with 3 factions now, think we'll get more ships per wave in the future? Or still 4 ships with an asymmetrical distribution between the factions?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

signalnoise posted:

I really like the idea that they can include new content without having to add models to buy.

Yeah; plus it makes sense thematically that the S&V faction repurposes other ships for their cause.

I still think FFG should just sell a POD card pack of things like Ship Upgrade and maybe even pilots. It'd be a good way to address complaints that certain upgrades only come with certain ships. Or they could just make a whole pack of brand new stuff.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
And pilot cards would require the cardboard chits for the ship bases too. Didn't think of that when I first suggested it.

I do like that the most wanted pack is more or less a S&V starter kit. Probably the best (and least money-grabby) way to introduce a new faction.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

alg posted:

I can't see them selling a pack of cards that releases content that people have already paid money for like that. I could see them releasing new material under a cards pack but I doubt they will do it. The price point isn't terrible for a minis game.

I'm not suggesting they just give away previously paid cards or anything; just have it be a POD pack like The Lord of the Rings LCG nightmare packs. It's not like they've ever had a policy of "this new upgrade card will remain exclusive to only this one ship expansion". It's more a matter of time before things get packed in with a different wave later on.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Honestly the only thing I'm worried about is that the more options they add to new ships, the worse older ones will look by comparison. Like, if a whole bunch of new ships end up with that new banked K-Turn, how will that stack up with older ships that just didn't have that as an option?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
That was just an example. So far we've seen 2 and a half new moves introduced to the game, 0 speed, banked k-turns, and white K-turns (that's the half haha). And then there's new types of upgrades or pilot actions on too of that.

As the game evolves, they can either just keep giving us new configurations of all the same moves, or gradually introduce new ones. If the game keeps growing to a 12th or 15th or whatever wave, will X-Wings or TIE interceptors still have a place in lists? Or will new ships with new maneuvers be the only viable ships for the new meta? I'm sure in casual play there will always be a home for "lower tier" ships, but what about tourney play? It'll get seriously boring if all anyone can play is some combination of the latest and greatest.

I'm not trying to doom-&-gloom. I just have way too much time to think about moving little plastic squares around haha.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lungboy posted:

Speaking as a complete newbie, are there any "I wish I'd been told this when I started" tips and tricks?

Always remember order of operations when rolling attack and defense.

Attacker Rolls
Attacker Modifies (spends Focus, uses re-rolls, whatever)
Defender Rolls
Defender Modifies

Makes things a hair more of a gamble for the attacker. Spend the focus now? Save it for a defensive roll? whatever. My first couple games we were rolling at the same time and it made it a bit too easy for the attacker to rack up damage.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I had a brilliant idea for promos that were technically unique but wouldn't lock people out of content.

Unique pilot cards that either don't have a pilot ability, or duplicate an existing one. Like give us a Lt. Kettch TIE pilot card, but give it the same pilot skill, upgrade slots, ability and point cost of an existing TIE pilot.

Just have unique art and flavor text.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Corbeau posted:

Only if Thrawn's in charge. :v:

(Are we not getting a separate Armada thread until next year?)

I have a thread up for Other FFG Star Wars games covering Armada, Imperial Assault, and Empire vs Rebellion. Since none of those are out yet, I figure we can keep them all in one thread until such time as discussion for one starts overwhelming the other 2 or something.

EDIT: Plus when I made this thread, I kinda had the feeling that X-Wing is a "big" enough thing to sustain a full thread without having Armada-chat inflating it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Crackbone posted:

Pretty sure wave 5 is Decimator/Mini-Falcon/Rebel Aces.

As a point of pedantic concern; Rebel Aces is not technically part of Wave 5. It just happens to be coming out at the same time.

But yeah, unless FFG has been pulling some kind of crazy long con and two mystery ships are forthcoming, Wave 5 is just the YT-2400 and the Decimator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Yeah, that was my point. I was under the impression we'd get Wave 5 being four ships (like the other previous waves), the Aces boxes not actually being part of the wave.

I'm kinda happy Wave 5 is just the 2 big ships...Buying 2 bigs costs the same as 4 smalls, so my pocketbook won't feel the sting of Wave 5 as hard.

• Locked thread