Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
If I just want to play this game for a day with my brother, is there anything reasonably cheap I can grab that'll still be fun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
Okay I want to try this game out so I bought a core set, an E-Wing, and a Defender. Hope that's enough for a few good games!

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

The Sisko is of Bajor should be playing Attack Wing

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Nobody should actually be playing Attack Wing

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Finally got to play! Flew three TIE Fighters and a Defender against two A-Wings, a really squirrely B-Wing with Advanced Sensors and Push the Limit, and a Z-95. A lot of fun once we got the hang of the rules. Do I have the collision/flythrough mechanics down right?

If you fly through another ship, nothing happens.
If you finish your movement with your base overlapping another ship, you lose your action and you can't attack that ship.

If you fly through an obstacle, you risk damage and lose your action.
If you finish your movement with your base overlapping an obstacle, you lose your action and you can't attack, and you risk a damage.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Poopy Palpy posted:

Only if your template overlaps with the obstacle again as you're moving off. I've only played X-Wing with like a half dozen people and I've had to explain this like 20 times.

Not quite sure I follow. You mean if your template still overlaps with the obstacle at the end of your movement?

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Jan 26, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Strobe posted:

EDIT: B-Wings with PTL and Adv Sensors are hilarious, because you can PTL and then do a green maneuver for a stress-free PTL. :allears:

It's true! ZachAttack's B-wing existed in this crazy probability haze, I couldn't figure out where the hell it would end up or which direction it would be pointing.

This was my first game flying anything in X-wing, so I managed to:

Slam all three of my TIE fighters into each other on their first turn, then crash my Defender into them.
Run the lead TIE into an asteroid, and its two wingmen into its rear end
Run the Defender into three asteroids over the course of the match
Sharp turn a TIE with a stunned pilot into my Defender, causing the TIE to explode :lol:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I have been playing this game on my apartment floor with my partner and she's shellacking me. Wedge with Outmaneuver is really good at killing TIEs!

A rules clarification:

Expert Handling. It gives you a free Barrel Roll, but this is part of the Expert Handling action, which isn't free. So you can't use Expert Handling on, say, an E-Wing to barrel roll for free, then Target Lock/Focus/Evade. You use Expert Handling and that's it — it's a way to give Barrel Rolls to ship without it, and a way to enhance Barrel Roll so it can shed target locks, correct?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I ran into a Phantom for the first time today (Echo echo echo) and holy poo poo, that thing is EVERYWHERE :stare:

I ended up running around the table with Corran as my only survivor. Am I far off in thinking that Advanced Sensors + R7T1 is a pretty cool combo? It seems pretty hard to keep Corran in front of you when he generally gets to move last and he can respond to any threat by saying 'boost, sharp 3'.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

That reminds me, I love the E-wing on paper but it's a shame the actual model can't hold up to the iconic trilogy ships. I was pretty active in the FreeSpace Open community and they had a great-looking Star Wars mod in the works. One of their modelers touched up the E-wing just a bit, elongating the nose and cranking the wings to give it a more aggressive profile. I kinda wish FFG had done something similar:

I still have no idea how you're supposed to get out of that cockpit, the laser really should go on the nose.

e: versus the original, pretty much what we've got:

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Feb 2, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I've been playing casually with some locals and we've decided not to fly any Phantoms, Falcons, or Decimators, just on the theory that everyone seems to find their presence a bit constricting.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

quote:

Ya know... the more I think about it, the whole union dock fiasco and it's affect on the miniature gaming world would make a great plot for a Big Bang Theory episode...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Strobe posted:

How does this thread feel about posting hypothetical/homebrew pilots and upgrades for discussion? I've got a few that I really, really wish FFG would do but know they never ever will and I want to see if I'm crazy or not.

Go for it, at worst people can tell you why it's good they won't be printed.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Go full ludicrous EU and print a StealthX title for the Xwing that adds a cloak action.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Yeah, that's why Expert Handling is a lot worse than it looks. It eats up an action, and the action basically says 'do a barrel roll, lose target locks', which isn't wildly impressive.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Jesus. :catstare: It really is plastic smack.

A friend flew an XXXXZ list against me, testing out Engine Upgrade on all the X-wings. It...doesn't seem to be the solution to whatever ails the X-Wing.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Important video on the new meta, lot of insight

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I hope we get some E-Wing/Defender love.

e: and also X-Wing love of course.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Mar 20, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

ProfessorCurly posted:

As someone interested in getting into this game, how are TIE Interceptors? They've always been my favorite Star Wars design.

They're good, but you need to buy a lot of stuff to fly them at their full capability. An Interceptor pack, an Imperial Aces pack, and a StarViper if you're planning to fly against ships with turrets.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I think this is probably going to be my last Fantasy Flight collectible product. I'm tired of their print-a-silver-bullet approach to metagame problems, constantly overcorrecting back and forth. The Netrunner metagame went through some interesting developments and ended up (I think?) in an interesting place, but because they refuse to fix their early mistakes directly, a lot of optimal strategies from the core set remain viable. For X-Wing the problem feels a bit the opposite.

Of course, having said this I'll probably end up in Armada :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Tekopo posted:

This is never going to be fixed without them going back and recosting stuff based on new meta and allowing people to buy card-only bundles. And that's never gonna happen.

Yeah, that's pretty much my feeling on the topic.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

soulfulspinster posted:

On the subject of finding a game. Is it okay to ask if any goons itt are local? I have a small group of players and we're looking to expand.

I think you have forgotten something important :v:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I had a pretty great teaching game last night with my brother. He flew 3x Interceptors with Push the Limit against my AAB. I ran the B-wing out as bait and flew the A-wings offset, then managed to sweep in and pick off Baron Fel while he was trying to swarm the B.

I felt pretty cocky after that. But my board situation fell apart fast when my A-Wings merged in too hard and started bumping asteroids, Interceptors, and each other. I got lazy with the B-Wing, assuming it was safely out of range, and he sniped it from behind with a Range 3 shot - and then, to my utter horror, Turr Phennir went head to head with Jake, vaporized him, then used his free post-attack barrel roll to dodge Jake's return fire, which would've killed him (we made the rolls, just so we'd know).

Things swung back my way when Tycho killed Turr in revenge and the game ended with Carnor Jax and Tycho spiraling around each other in a classic dogfight. Carnor finally K-turned back at Tycho, and I went head to head confident that a target lock, focus, and evade would let me win the pass. Unfortunately :smugdog: Carnor was in range 1, blocking any use of focus or evade with his Force bullshit or whatever it is. Tycho blew up and his return fire left Carnor at 1 health.

I love it when games play out like moderately-unshitty EU stories.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I'm still working on my 'X-Wing as board game' limited setup. If we wanted to nudge a few point costs or rules to make B-Wings a little less optimal, X-Wings a little more, ordnance worth taking, and Defenders/E-Wings more viable, what do you think the best way would be?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I guess we'll be seeing the T-70 X-Wing as a new model in an upcoming wave. There's no way it'll be a title card when they could make more plastic. I wonder how long FFG has had the specs and if they've already designed a mini.

I hope this doesn't stop them from fixing the classic T-65.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Tekopo posted:

Nope, I saw up-close pics of the K-Wing and it does indeed have a new action bar icon, so you are correct. The only thing I couldn't see in the pics is the attack rating of the Hound's Tooth.

As far as I can see, the new Black Sun fighter has attack rating 3, the TIE Punisher has attack rating 2 and is the only TIE without a barrel roll but with boost (which means that it can take autos) and the K-Wing has a 360 arc but with only 2 attack rating.

I'm hoping for some kind of combo target lock/focus to improve action economy on munitions, and a card to retrofit that action onto past ships. Not gonna happen quite like that, I know.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

alg posted:

Hopefully the munitions fix is a 2 parter that also includes a fix for the action economy around Target Locks.

Yeah, this is what I want.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

I'm admittedly a little disappointed that Ozzel doesn't come with some sort of ability that requires you to sacrifice him to use. Like discard him to give all your ships out to range three a focus or something.

Yeah, I was disappointed to see he could never fail me for the last time.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

You should play the game and make sure you like it before you buy a bunch. Do you have friends whose ships you can try?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Let's go on a flight to fantasy game land! How would you design a card like Swarm Tactics with a viral clause in a way that would be interesting? Something that started with text like:

quote:

At the start of the Combat phase, choose 1 friendly ship at Range 1.

Until the end of this phase, treat the chosen ship as if its pilot skill were equal to your pilot skill.

Until the end of this phase, the chosen ship gains a copy of this card.

I don't know if PS is actually a good mechanic to pair with this kind of effect. Maybe you could use something similar to fix ordnance...

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

:getin:

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Worth noting that Zertik Strom's ability explicitly applies to everyone in your squad and not just himself. As long as you have him in your list and he's alive, your opponents' ships don't get range 1 combat bonuses, period.

No, this is wrong. As long as he's in your list, he's alive, and he's within range 1 of a given opponent ship, that given ship can't get range 1 combat bonuses.

e: although the wording on the card DOES support your reading, I think past FAQs have always defined 'at range 1' as including an implicit 'from this ship'.

General Battuta fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 4, 2015

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I might be crazy but from the tournament reports it sounds like the meta's looking a lot more fun than two months ago.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

It's thematic too. One of your ships is forcing the enemy to spend its time and focus breaking off to avoid the hit.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

A-Wings are overcosted, so they had to fix that with an upgrade called Chaardan Refit (which takes away their missiles but makes them cost fewer points).

Y-Wings have turrets, but they weren't competitively viable until the Scum expansion came out and they got a bunch of new upgrades. Scum Y-Wings are apparently pretty strong.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Could you, in theory, just chop the two-sided Plano in half? It's a little unwieldy.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

An interesting combo I noted for Corran Horn is Fire Control System and an R7 Astromech. Attack someone, put a target lock on them, then when they attack you in return you can spend that lock to force them to reroll whatever dice you want.

Or keep the lock for your second attack.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

leongzanfa posted:

Defender

viable

I'm sorry

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

zVxTeflon posted:

Someone took a 2 ship Vess + Rexler list to regionals and went 7-1

That's loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

jivjov posted:

And so would hypothetical Vong ships.

They look like spiky asteroids that shoot lava, they look nothing like anything that could've been in one of the films.

• Locked thread