Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Tekopo posted:

It's a combination of unhinged astromechs, R4 Agromechs and a really good elite pilot with native EPT. Unhingeds make the Y-Wings really zippy, the agromechs allow you to use blaster turrets really efficiently and Kavil just has a really good pilot skill and has access to EPT. Rebel Y-Wings have much worse astromech choices and you are very limited because none of their elite pilots have a native EPT.

I just started playing and was wondering.

If I get the Most Wanted can I use some of the Y-wing upgrades on my rebel Y-wings? Like the astromechs and stuff. Wondering before I drop the $30.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

There's also autoblaster turret but I don't know if that's worth it outside of Kavil the scum pilot. Most Wanted is probably worth it just for the models and the non-scum cards though, and if you want to roll with just Y-wings Scum can't be beat.

I'm guessing Scum Y-wing aren't sold outside of the Most Wanted box though.

I know you can use rebel Y-wings in Scum as long as they have the correct inserts and cards. The question is, how many Y-wings could I fly using just the contents of a single Most Wanted box?

(I have had an unhealthy love of Y-wings since I was a child. If I could fly a squad of mostly Y-wings I would be in love)

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Archenteron posted:

If we're pipe-dreaming, call me when FFG hits the heavy poo poo and the Yuuzhan Vong show up.

Aren't the Yuuzhan Vong non-canon now?

I doubt Disney would give the go-ahead on that since it would make them canon again.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

BottleKnight posted:

I'm pretty sure a majority of the pilots in X-Wing are now non-canon.

Oh I'm sure. But I heard that anything new that gets printed from the canon-wipe on becomes canon again. Or something like that.

Though the person that told may have been ill-informed.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

My FLGS is starting a casual play league and I'm brand new to the game. Rules are a different list for each week and you can't change your list during said week.

First week I'm going to try out this one. Unless it's a terrible idea.

Kavil (24)
-Blaster Turret (4)
-R4 Agromech (2)
-Bomb Loadout
- -Seismic Charges (2)

Syndicate Thug (18)
-Ion Cannon Turret (5)
-Unhinged Astromech (1)
-BTL-A4

Kaa'to Leeachos (15)

Palob Godalhi (20)
-Ion Cannon Turret (5)
-Moldy Crow (3)

I'm welcome to any and all criticisms, all I have under my belt is some kitchen table play.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

My immediate feedback is that Kaa'to probably isn't going to wind up worth the points, using his ability means taking stuff away from your other units to boost what's basically still a vanilla Headhunter with average Pilot Skill. Also that BTL-A4 title is going to frustrate the poo poo out of you every time someone loiters near your Syndicate Thug out of its firing arc.

It's a pretty solid foundation otherwise, my suggestions would be:

1). Ditch Kaa'to, the A4 title, and the Bomb Loadout/Seismic Charges.

2). Trade the Ion Turret on Palob for a Blaster Turret.

3). Then with the points you should now have remaining, take N'dru Suhlak with the Lone Wolf elite pilot talent.

100 points on the nose.

Are Ion Turrets generally not worth it? I've had great luck using them to lock stuff like Interceptors down, but then again, I only have kitchen table play under my belt.

I also don't have a Lone Wolf talent card, and don't really have plans to pick up a YT-2400, so that's kind of out of the picture.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I don't get the hardcore comparison of the Kihraxz and the X-wing. I mean, I know they fulfill similar roles and all that, but Kihraxz is Scum only and X wing is Rebel only. It's not like you'll have to choose between one or the other when building a squadron.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Exact name of said case? My stuff is piled into a toolbox right now, I'm looking for something handier.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Scum is it's own faction.

Empire can take Boba Fett, but not because he's scum. When you buy the Slave 1 expansion you get Empire pilot cards for it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Does anyone know if Fantasy Flight does anything for PAX? It's the only con I can make it to and it would be sweet if I could get in on something fun.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

It would still be entertaining as hell to run for a casual game.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What's the best turret to throw on Kavil?

I've been using a blaster turret, but I'm thinking there has to be a better option than needing a focus to shoot it and getting screwed by Dark Curse.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Ion bombs will still only make one turn of predictive movement. After doing their 1-forward they remove all ion tokens.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I'm debating on picking up another Most Wanted set solely for the Y-wing. Running 4 Y-wings with TLT sounds like a ton of fun.

I really don't need the Z-95's though. I already have 3. I really wish they'd sell Scum Y-wings separately.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So I really want to run Poe with the following setup.

Poe Dameron (31)
-BB-8 (2)
-Autothrusters (2)
-Push the Limit (3)

I have another 62 points to play with. I'm debating on putting a K-wing in, just because it's a new toy and I'd like to use it. But I also really have no idea what a good setup for the K-wing is.

I'm pretty new to the game and mostly play Scum, so I don't know exactly what's best for Rebels. Especially so since my local meta is basically all Empire or Scum players.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

So the "Dutch Courage" list looks fun.

Only bad thing is that I'm missing is Wes Janson. I can't really justify getting a Rebel transport since my local play group only plays at 100 points. Also, a quick search seems that finding a single of just Wes' pilot card is drat hard.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Is there an active BST thread or forum for X wing stuff?

I'm trying to find just the Y-wing stuff out of the Most Wanted expansion. I really don't need the rest of the stuff out of it so I'd like to not buy stuff I don't need.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Icon Of Sin posted:

Do you have any rebel Y-Wing cards/equipment? I have 2 scum starter sets so I've probably got some extra scum Y-Wing cards.

My end goal is 2 more Scum Y-wings, so I was hoping to essentially get the Y-wing model itself, the two dials, pilot cards, and astromechs. Then I'd get a rebel Y-wing expansion and be set.

I'm thinking someone out there may have created a bugzapper list with the Z-95's and not needed the Y-wing parts of the expansion.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I am disappointed they didn't make pink ones. :( I've tried making my own with permanent markers but even the really good ones come with some unevenness that bugs me.

You could probably just get some Rit dye and color them that way.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

I was just at a charity shop and bought a whole load of those old Micro Machine ships for a quid. The scales are all over the shop but the Y-Wing, B-Wing and TIE Advanced are a very similar scale, and with an ink wash would look alright, just a bit 'stubbier'. I'm tempted to get a few extra stands and use them.

If you were playing against someone, not at a tournament but you aren't like, friends, would that piss you off?

As long as you have the right dials, tiles, and cards (or close enough proxies) I wouldn't care.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

canyoneer posted:

I just realized that I have been measuring range all wrong. I was measuring from the post on the ship's base rather than the edge of the base (within the arc). :saddowns:

While wrong, if that's how your local group does it and it was measured that way for everything. No harm, no foul. But now you know better so you can do it right.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a escalation event coming up locally that starts at 60 pts that I'd like to join in on. I'm not the best at list building so I'd like to see if this is decent or if I should try something else

So far I'm thinking for my start:
Trandoshan Slaver (29)
-Bossk (2)
-Tactician (2)
-Gunner (5)

Cartel Marauder (20)

Which leaves me with 2 more points, but I'm thinking of just leaving it as is since my next add-in for the 90 point round is 31 points. I also can't really think of a one-point fill that I really need.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I run this competitively:

Trandoshan Slaver [Tactician, Gunner, Bossk, Inertial Dampeners] (39)

Binayre Pirate (12) x 5

You've got enough jousting power to beat TLTs, and the right play can get you past arcdodgers. I've beaten pretty much every kind of opposing list with this, but I don't know how it would do against Worlds-level competition.

What's the reasoning behind the Inertial Dampeners? The YV-666 already has a red 0 maneuver, and the PS 2 of the Slaver means you're probably going to be moving first anyway.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

That binder looks like a tight fit.

I wonder if one would be able to fit sleeved cards in it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

The new dials look cool as hell, but at $10 for 3 I think I'm going to pass. That's either a ton of money in new dials or a ton of effort in changing them out every time you change ships for simply a cosmetic change.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

zVxTeflon posted:

He didnt paint bb8 :mad:

Why would BB-8 change colors when placed in an X-wing?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I need to try that 3K list, seems like fun.

Looked like TLT and Tactician on each K-wing, with two Wardens and Miranda.

Floppychop fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Nov 5, 2015

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

bunnyofdoom posted:

Yup. 2k, shoot stress away at tie in swarm, rinse, repeat.

Can you remove the stress to change focus rolls to hits even if you don't have any focus results rolled?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

"Genius" always cracks me up becuase any time you use it, you're guaranteed to be hit by the bomb. Not very smart!

That's the joke.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Aramoro posted:

Is there any firm word on what the Jump Master 5000 will be like yet, and the other pilots. Other than the fact it's got a white S-Loop.

As far as I know, this is all we have.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/7/31/xwing-out-of-hiding/

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Are there any plans for a huge Scum ship?

If so, what would it even be? Pirates aren't known for their capital ships.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Endman posted:

MWG suck; don't watch them. There are better batreps on the youtubes.

Moving along...

What do you guys think about Talonbane Cobra? I'm putting together an escalation list for a tournament on Saturday and I've got 40 points that could either fit him with room to spare or Guri. At the moment I'm leaning towards Guri because those Kihraxzes last night that I faced sank so quickly it was ridiculous. And it was against Banana Pirates and a HWK.

I've had good luck with Talonbane with just glitterstim.

If you target lock the turn you plan on using glitterstim his 5 dice can hit like a truck.

If I have a spare point I'll put lightning reflexes him if only just to cheese an extra 5 dice shot.

Take this with a grain of salt as my meta and myself aren't exactly cutthroat.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Cobbsprite posted:

but I'm weaning him off of checking range after moving and stuff like that.

Just to clarify, when is the proper time you can measure range?

During activation I've been playing as you can only measure range when you're trying to target lock, and only towards the ship you're trying to lock.

But I'm hazy on when during combat you can measure range. Any time? Only when you're actively "shooting" and only from that ship?

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What works for stripping the factory paint to repaint x-wing minis?

Internet says Dettol, but that's isn't readily available in the US.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Found this on a facebook trade group.

I was waiting to see someone take a stab at Sabine's TIE. Looks pretty drat good. This is going to make me attempt to paint it.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

I still think it's bullshit that you can't buy a damage deck by itself.

Templates are easy to get via people that sell acrylic sets, but the damage deck is the one thing that stops someone from starting as only Scum.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

alg posted:

Maybe it was just an error on the website :smith:

Blue Ace is already released and doesn't have an EPT.

But Red Squadron Veteran has an EPT, but is 1 PS less and doesn't have a pilot ability.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

On Poe I've found Autothrusters is almost an auto-include.

When out of arc or at range 3 he almost always gets two evades due to autothrusters and his ability. Only rolls that burn him are double blanks.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What would be even funnier is putting Tactical Jammer on the Shuttles "guarding" Epsilon Pilot to make it harder to scalpel out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

There's a small, more casual tournament coming up and I'm thinking of running this. I'm just at a debate on if I should fill the last 2 points with something or if I should just leave it at 98 for the initiative bid.

I tried putting an Ion Bomb on Miranda in a few games I've tried with this, I'm just terrible at using and planning for bombs.

98/100
Poe Dameron (37)
T-70 X-Wing (31), R5-P9 (3), Veteran Instincts (1), Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (26)
Y-Wing (18), BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0), R3-A2 (2), Twin Laser Turret (6)

Miranda Doni (35)
K-Wing (29), Twin Laser Turret (6)

• Locked thread