Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yay, new thread!

So, normally Expose is a crap upgrade, because you're statistically better off just focusing your regular attack dice as your action. But now Experimental Interface changes the game!

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (Decimator)
+Expose
+Experimental Interface
+Ysanne Isard
+Moff Jerjerrod
+Intelligence Agent

Now I can focus as my primary action, then use Experimental Interface to Expose. I don't lose agility since I'm already at zero, and now I roll four focused dice every turn (five at range 1). Downside is I'm stressed to do it, but since I have a turret I can do soft-2 greens all day and usually be okay. Ish. Ysanne gives free evades, the Moff lets me cancel particularly nasty crit effects (by first spacing the Intel Agent, then himself).

40 points left over to do whatever with. I'm thinking 2x Black Squadron TIEs + Predator + Hull Upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

signalnoise posted:

So I know that the game is balanced around 100 points, but how do higher point games play out? Is there a reason to avoid them? Cause otherwise my friend and I are looking at much larger fights. We haven't played yet but the idea of having 5-10 ships on either side appeals to us.

I've played a few Epic Play games at the 300-point mark. The trend seems to be towards more, higher pilot skill ships, with more upgrades, and more opportunities for synergy and use of secondary weapons/ordnance. I took a flight of low-PS Z-95s along with a flight of E-wings, and the Z-95s got wasted before they could get missile shots off. I think low-PS ships really suffer in the Epic format. There's nothing wrong with it, but the matches do get longer in duration.

Basically, go crazy with it! It's fun if you have the time for a longer game.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Given that it's an obvious target, would using a Rebel Captive make sense?

I considered it, but Rebel Captive only works once a turn and I think I'd rather take the evade from Ysanne and live longer.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Caddrel posted:

Does anyone know the points costs of the generic outrider and decimator pilots? Those were missing from the official FFG posts but it should be known now that the product is out.

30 (PS2) and 40 (PS3) respectively, I believe.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I want the Mangler Cannon to eliminate the unique pilot talent/EPT of any pilot it deals a damage card to.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
It looks like their general archetype for Scum is lower-PS or slightly weaker ships with stronger debuff abilities to even the score. It's a new way of playing the game and after some initial dismay I'm getting more excited to see how it plays out.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My first competitive play was Imdaar Alpha with 2 Gold Y's + Ion Turret, Wedge + R2D2, and...some other X-wing. I took second out of like 20, and got a Phantom. XXYY will forever have a place in my heart.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Got my Wave 5/RebAces today. The Decimator is baller. As. gently caress.

The YT-2400 model is kinda underwhelming. The YT-1300 is so much more detailed, it's sort of a letdown.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The owner of my FLGS went up to GenCon, he had Very Important Gamer badges for him and a friend so was able to come back with 4x of each, and sold 3 of them on first-come-first-serve basis.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, he bought 'em at retail and sold 'em at $10 over retail, mostly to help cover going up there, extra luggage fees home, etc. The fourth set is going to be given away as prize support for the next couple months' tournaments. He also got a half-dozen TIE Interceptors at retail, and is selling them at retail, just so there's some on the shelf.

(It's The Game Space in Pensacola, FL if anyone's in that area and is curious. Spreading the word is the least I can do.)

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Right now the only ship that, per rules, you can only field one of is the Tantive IV/CR-90 Corvette, since Epic Tournament rules allow for five "epic points" per side, and the CR-90 is worth 3 of them.

Buuuut nobody really plays epic tournament so yeah.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Caddrel posted:

Nice!

How do the rules for the new obstacle tokens work? In competitive play are you allowed to substitute them in 1:1, or do opponents have to agree to use them?

The rules in the expansions are very vague on their use in competitive play. By which I mean they don't address the issue at all. I guess they'll have to issue updated tournament rules or a new FAQ. The core rules say players "can agree to use obstacles" which I take to mean either asteroids or debris, while the tournament rules say that "the six unique asteroid tokens" shall be used.

On the cool side, the debris tokens in the Decimator pack are all destroyed rebel ships, and the ones in the YT-2400 are all destroyed imperial ships.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The stealth device is not that great on lower-agility ships, because it's more likely to get shot off in the first turn that ship's attacked. You're probably better off going with a Hull Upgrade. (1 extra defense die is only 3/8ths of an evade per roll, but Hull Upgrade guarantees one extra HP). Or you could put it on the A-Wing.

The "more lower-skill pilots" vs "fewer higher-skill pilots" is something that the whole game is kinda transitioning through right now. FFG's made a fairly big effort towards pushing the game in the latter direction, but swarms are still really viable.

In any event, play what's fun to you; that list is totally workable.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

The Gate posted:

I think I'd rather take Outmaneuver instead, honestly. Doesn't eat an action and you should generally not be in arcs with PtL A-Wings I'd imagine. TL + Focus and -1 Agility to the target is probably better than +1 dice and only TL or Focus, but someone should check on that.

Two focused dice is better than three unfocused dice, before you even take into account anything else.

Odds of two hits with two focused dice is about 56%
Odds of two or more hits on three unfocused dice is exactly 50%

Edit for more numbers:

Odds of two hits with two focused, TL'ed dice is about 95%
Odds of two or more hits with 3 focused dice is about 84%
Odds of two or more hits with 3 target locked dice is about 89%

Edit-edit: I may be handling target locks incorrectly in the inputs to my binomial probability calculator, I might be wrong.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Aug 22, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Ville Valo posted:

I don't think B&N tracks their individual expansion stock online.

All their stores have telephones, though.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I won a store tournament today! Only 6 players, but I went 3-0 and blanked my third-round opponent 100-0.

I flew:
Han Solo + Predator + C-3P0 + Engine Upgrade + Millennium Falcon
Tarn Mison + R7 Astromech + Flechette Torpedo
Bandit Squadron + Ion Pulse Missile

First round was up against
Whisper + Vet Instinct + Adv. Cloaking
Omicron Group Pilot + Engine Upgrade + Fire Control System
Black Squadron + Predator
Black Squadron + Predator

I got Han bumped nose-to-nose with Whisper on the first turn of combat, and Whisper stayed stuck there for three full turns until he went down. OGP kept hammering at Han who died the turn after Whisper, but not after putting some hurt on said OGP. It came down to shieldless OGP and one Black Squadron vs a full-health Tarn Mison, who got his time to shine late-game and took them both out.

Second round was up against a near mirror-match:
Han Solo + Luke Skywalker + Navigator + Millennium Falcon
Tarn Mison + R7 Astromech
Tala Squadron Pilot + Ion Pulse Missile

My X and Z got their munitions off on enemy Han, and got him put on the run before his X and Z could really get in the game. He focused fire on my smaller ships while I worked on his Han, who went down almost simultaneously with my X and Z, and I was able to mop up his smaller ships with my mostly-undamaged Han.

Third round was up against:
Wedge Antilles
Airen Cracken + Outmaneuver
Dagger Squadron
Dagger Squadron

I was able to isolate his X and Z somewhat thanks to asteroids, and also managed to boost my Falcon behind and around said X and Z such that only Wedge was able to get a single range-3 shot on him, and immediately started laying waste with range-1 Han shots. That was pretty killer. Wedge put up a hell of a fight, even after getting double-stressed by flechettes and a crit, but I got him killed and Airen followed shortly thereafter. At that point my Z was at 1HP so I just got him out of the combat zone and took down the B's with Tarn and Han.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Aug 23, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
The TIE Advanced is going to suck a little less once Rebel Aces hits and you can put Proton Rockets on it.

But only a little.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I flew the Rear Admiral Chiraneau Decimator with Experimental Interface, Expose, and Mara Jade today. Getting into range one with that thing is terrifying. Some lucky pilot gets to be the recipient of five target-locked dice, with partial focus, and a stress. Ruins just about anybody's day.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I'll give it a whirl today, going to get some play in this afternoon.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Merauder posted:

I'd rather have 2x Focus to potentially float for defending than 1x Stress to spend attacking and 1x Focus for defending. It often will come out the same way, except in the cases where you don't end up having to use Focus / don't roll any eyes when attacking.

Kyle gives you the second focus whether you remove stress with a green or by removing it with Farlander's ability on an attack, so why do a green maneuver? Do a white, use the first focus for defense against a higher PS attack if you need it, then attack, use stress to activate Farlander, and get your second focus with Kyle for later defenses.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
So, trip report.

Round one:

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit + B-Wing E2 + Kyle Katarn + Ion Torpedo + Flechette Torpedo
Dash Rendar + Outrider + Autoblaster + Push the Limit + Engine Upgrade

Flown against:
Black Squadron + Ruthlessness
Black Squadron + Rutlessnesss
Black Squadron
Howlrunner

I'm not above stealing a great looking B-wing build when I see one. :colbert: So after about six turns of maneuvering, I dropped Dash into range 1 of the whole swarm of TIEs, with one corner right where Howlrunner was "supposed" to be, causing a bump. Then I 1-shotted Howlrunner with with the Autoblaster. Then I dropped the Ion Torpedo on the swarm with Keyan from range 3. Dash got caught in the blast but he didn't care. Dash also survived the return fire from the swarm with 3 hull left, and all the Ruthlessness-es meant almost everybody in the swarm came out of things with one damage. Next turn I dropped two more TIEs, (one with the Flechette Torpedo) and the turn after that Dash went down, but Keyan was able to easily drop the remaining two TIEs.

Being able to spend a stress as a focus makes the B-Wing COMPLETELY RIDICULOUS and I love it. Had I not managed that ridiculous placement of Dash into the swarm, things would have gone a lot differently. It's a very high-risk high-reward setup, and overall I like the Heavy Laser Cannon better.

On that note, round two was:

Keyan Farlander + Advanced Sensors + Push the Limit + B-Wing E2 + Kyle Katarn
Dash Rendar + Outrider + Heavy Laser Cannon + Predator + Engine Upgrade

Against:
Commander Kenkirk + Ysanne Isard + Rebel Captive + Moff Jerjerrod
Saber Squadron + Push the Limit
Saber Squadron + Push the Limit

(which is apparently 101 points, but neither of us noticed)

First turn I 4-forwarded followed by a soft-1 boost with Dash and tagged one of the Sabers with a range-3 HLC shot, landing a crit. I think he was kind of offended. Next turn I dropped the B-Wing into range 1 of the Decimator, hit it for four damage, then did four more with the HLC. Keyan took 6 damage in return from the TIEs and the Decimator--next turn he got one more shot off and then went down. We danced around a bit more, I HLC'ed both Interceptors down and then managed to chip away at the Decimator until he went all-or-nothing and flew off the board with 1hp left.

The HLC gives you way more flexibility and is less dangerous (for Dash) vs. swarms, and lets you be able to take advantage of being at range 3. Also, Dash's ability to land on asteroids and then barrel roll or boost off of them is super, super handy. Basically I think the Dash/HLC/Outrider and the Keyan/Katarn combos are really great.

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Aug 27, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

nahanahs posted:

This is only 94 points (or I'm bad at math). Did you leave something out?

Also, for clarification, does Dash's ability make asteroids/debris totally irrelevant for him, or am I missing something?

Oops, Farlander had Ion Torpedoes on there to bring it all up to 99.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Caddrel posted:

Haven't heard it confirmed by anyone who got one at Gencon, but their promo page for it certainly shows two.

The one I got (from GenCon) came with three.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

Are Decimators an okay choice in larger games?

My limited play experience of like six games with it (assuming you mean the 100-point standard as "larger games") has been "usually." They're going to get focused on by most opponents but it's beefy enough to handle it for a while and put out respectable damage until it goes down. If you fit it for maximum "gently caress you, red dice" it hits pretty drat hard, and if you fit it for maximum survivability it will hang out lobbing three dice a turn for a reasonably long time.

Plus it looks cool.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Another common usage is actioning before doing a red maneuver (since the B-Wing has so much red on the dial).

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
"Overloaded Launcher - Modification, Large Ship Only: On [torpedo] or [missile] attacks, you may treat all uncanceled [hit] and [crit] results as two [hit] and [crit] results instead."

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I like flying the both the YT's around--keeping ships where I want them range-wise and dodging asteroids is fun and also pretty important when every shot counts. I also really like having Engine Upgrade on 'em.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My current favored Falcon build is Han + Predator + C3PO + Engine Upgrade + Millennium Falcon which comes out to 57 points. Leaves enough left over for a couple other ships.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I ran a Falcon/Corran at ATL regionals. It's a bit dangerous and unforgiving of mistakes but when it works it's fun as hell.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Dropping gunner changed my personal mathematics on when or when not to Han Solo an attack roll but I haven't noticed it's missing, especially with Predator to just reroll that one die. A non-Han Solo falcon though really does need it.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Sigma-X posted:

What is the Falcon offering to fight Whisper that the Outrider doesn't have? It seems like an HLC turret plus the ability to barrel roll (or boost with Leebo) should allow me to maintain appropriate range against a Phantom, and it's my understanding that an HLC isn't affected by the bonus dice from cloak or range 3? I'm very new so I could be wrong about this.

Also, on the note of being new - I just went through and popped about $200 worth of XWing mini's tokens/pieces/etc that I had set aside due to playing mostly with an online squadron builder and my friend's tokens. I have 4 that I can't identify - small blue circles cut into 3 pieces on one side, with the other side either being space or some blue cargo container/spaceship thing? They're smaller than focus/evade tokens.

HLC negates range dice but not the cloak dice. Those tokens are for one of the scenario missions that came with a ship, but hell if I know which one.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Just saw a friend from my store beat the French national champ at worlds round 1: thanks twitch.tv!

Edit: stream link is here-- http://www.twitch.tv/ffglive

overdesigned fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 6, 2014

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
My buddy from my local store was the imp player. He was really, really pissed, and I would be too. That's decidedly not how the game is intended to be played.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Imperial Aces isn't that great, but the rest is a solid start. Consider grabbing an Interceptor booster and a B-wing booster at some point, too.

Royal Guard TIE is solid.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
With 3 factions now I can see them getting away with 3-ship waves, 1 per faction.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Gammatron 64 posted:

Instead of painting the Falcon as a wizard van, I think I would want to just put a small miniature van on the flight stand and have a van flying around in space like the buick from Rogue Squadron.

I really want to have a tiny little Bluesmobile on a stand flying through space now.

http://www.shapeways.com/model/1577774/eagle-5-starbago.html?li=shop-results&materialId=60

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
And now that there's an Imperial huge ship on the way, maybe epic play will finally be a thing!

Right guys?

guys?

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I completely understand the scum vs rebel divide, but I would really like to see some kind of allowance for scum ships to be used with rebel or imperial squads, with some kind of point cost involved. FFG will never make it official, but hopefully I can convince a store in my local area to do an event or store tourney with that kind of rule in place. Like a +5 squad point penalty for using any scum ships in your squad.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

Veritek83 posted:

So last night I ran:

Rear Admiral Chrianeau w/ Expose
2x Royal Guard Pilots w/ PtL

Ended up that of the 5 players who showed up, 4 of us were running Decimators, and the 5th was running Chewie, so the RGPs weren't hugely successful.

Has anyone run Chrianeau with Expose and Experimental Interface? Thinking about it last night, getting that extra action would be huge between Expose and his ability.

I ran a Decimator with Expose/EI for a few matches. It's very hard-hitting and you can soft-2 your way around the map hitting people for 4-5 focused dice every turn, which is super fun to me.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

zVxTeflon posted:

Finally get to use some non scrub focus tokens

Jealous. I'm probably going to make the 3-hour drive down to Pensacola next weekend just so I can play a couple games of X-Wing. Mississippi does not have a bustling gaming scene that I've been able to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
Gonna play Scum Epic with all four Aggressors.

• Locked thread