Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."
That brings up another question. I've been playing for months, yet haven't touched any of the scenarios in the rule book. I pretty much convinced a friend to start collecting after playing him in an evenly matched 60 vs. 60 demo game, but after trouncing him in a 100 vs. 100 game I think he might need more practice before going on a pay-to-win shopping spree. Are any of them worth the time or are they just filler?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"You know I always had trouble really chewing the fat with my pops. Just listen to him..."

Azran posted:

Okay, here's a question - if I have a big group of people to play with (ranging from 4 to 8 depending on the day), and I get a ship for every player at least, trying to keep things varied by buying different ones and just playing the game like some kind of weird pseudo-board game, how terrible would you say this idea is.

Also man I want that E-Wing.

It's not too terrible. I've done the same with 4 friends playing 60 pt. squads against each other. One flying an X-Wing, another a B-Wing versus one flying a TIE-Defender and another flying two TIE-Fighters. I just made sure to pick the ships for them and only make available the upgrades that came with their respective ship.

Game turned out pretty close, but it ran longer than a usual 100 vs. 100 game. I also had to hover around to answer questions that might come up. My only regret is not making them play with asteroids on the board to facilitate combat (and accidental damage).

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

The red maneuver would be illegal and your opponent gets to choose a non-red maneuver for that ship.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

poo poo, really? I thought whoever has initiative moves second and shoots first, as if that pilot has a higher pilot skill. I've only played casually with a couple friends, never in a competitive setting. More often than not I show up at their house bearing bad news starting with "Remeber last game when we did such and such? Yeeeeeeeah, so…"

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Also, I've ordered that double-sided Plano case/box, but now I've got to wait weeks for it to get here from the US. Does anyone who has this case (or a similar compartmentalized case too, I suppose) have any photos of how you've set up the interior of it? Since I certainly wouldn't mind getting some ideas about how I should be laying mine out like, while I wait for it to arrive!

My collection is by no means "large," but there's certainly plenty of room for expansion. One thing I've done is line some of the compartments with 2mm thick foam and some double-sided tape. It's a pain in the rear end and not the most elegant but the best I could think of.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

It's a tight seal. All the tokens stay in their respective compartments.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Also anything with a 3 Attack and Expose EPT, again at range 1.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

I only ever throw it on the Decimator where the agility penalty doesn't matter.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

They're scenario-specific tokens that come with larger expansions (e.g. Imperial Aces, IG-2000).

Nice layout. Looks pretty much like how I've got things organized. All my cards are in a binder so it's not much of a concern, plus my proximity mine token just floats around in whatever compartment I have available.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah. With how expensive some of the acrylic templates and tokens are online, there's no shame in using the ones in the box.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

You're right. The Rebel Aces box comes with an A & B-Wing. The A-Wing is more of an analogue to the TIE-Interceptor rather than a Fighter, if that's what what you mean by "Tie." Z-95 Headhunters are more like the TIE-Fighter in that they're cheap, disposable ships.

I'm a selfish human being so I'm not sure about getting the Rebel Aces box. It has a ton of Rebel Only, A-Wing, and B-Wing specific cards. While they'll give your opponent a ton of options and good pilots, it won't really pad your Imperial fleet. If you get the standalone A-Wing and B-Wing expansions you'll have a few more weapon and elite pilot upgrades to throw on your own ships. You'll need a second (or third, or even fourth) opinion on this one.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Instead of decloaking right before the Phantom's dial is revealed, they decloak at the very beginning of the activation phase before any ships move.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"Dengar, you mummy gently caress!"

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

yellowjournalism posted:

Have you guys seen this? Seems neat. It even animates movement (with collision) and has sounds.
http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/

Came across something... interesting while noodling around with it.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Yeah, it's a glitch. It's pretty wonky whenever you try modifying dice. I also had to close the tab because after dropping a proximity around no one it refused to progress to the combat phase.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Question: When using FCS with a Cluster missile, do you re-acquire the target lock after the first volley? Also, how would that combination work with Redline's ability?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

In your example, could FCS allow Redline to gain another TL on top of the one he has leftover after the second shot? From my interpretation of his card, Redline not only gets a second free TL when targeting an enemy without one, but he also can spend an action or use FCS to constantly maintain a maximum of 2 on a ship.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Foolster41 posted:

So, Anti-biggs? What happens if he's in 1 range with Biggs?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Gonna be playing a friend tonight and want to fly a TIE/x1-centric list.

Darth Vader (29)
Predator (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Juno Eclipse (28)
Ruthlessness (3)
Advanced Targeting Computer (1)
TIE/x1 (0)

Soontir Fel (27)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Total: 100

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

I'd like to throw Lone Wolf on Juno, but I don't have it and I'm already proxying autothrusters on Soontir. Thoughts?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

http://imgur.com/a/2gLdf

This gallery compares the old and new TIEs, X-Wing, and Asteroids.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

canyoneer posted:

I want the new Stars Wars movie ships to move like the Battlestar Galactica Vipers do complete with sick drifts, thank you very much.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLNvUsTBGyE

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

FFG posted:

Dauntless

If a ship equipped with the Dauntless title executes
a red maneuver and overlaps another ship, it cannot
perform a free action. If it executes a green maneuver,
overlaps another ship, and uses Dauntless to perform
a free action, the stress it receives is not removed by
the green maneuver

Did they just fuckin' nerf the Dauntless ability? Motherfucker.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

http://xws-bench.github.io/bench/

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

I'd like to know how that list works out. I'll be playing tomorrow night at a friend's and might borrow his Punisher to try it out.

Complicated question regarding consecutive ramming with the new Dauntless rules. How it used to work when performing a green maneuver was you'd Reveal Dial and hit a ship -> Dauntless triggers -> Perform free action and receive a stress token -> immediately remove stress token during Check Pilot Stress step since you had just performed a green maneuver. Next turn you could perform another green maneuver, hit another ship, Dauntless, wash, rinse, repeat. Now the FAQ says, "If a ship equipped with the Dauntless title executes a red maneuver and overlaps another ship, it cannot perform a free action. If it executes a green maneuver, overlaps another ship, and uses Dauntless to perform a free action, the stress it receives is not removed by the green maneuver."

What I'm wondering is have they changed the order of operation? Is it now Reveal Dial and hit ship -> Check Pilot Stress -> Dauntless triggers -> Perform free action and recieve a stress token, which still allows you to ram someone next turn with a green maneuvering and activate Dauntless again? Or is it something else entirely that I'm too dim to suss out?

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Team Covenant has a bunch of battle reports with commentary. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmHifZPFC_JvNld3Lp9Mly89a2ZEV7cNY
While light on insight, I find the commentators relatively entertaining.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

I'm going to paint a line of minis in a classic '80s anime/comic book style. I saw a bunch of gundam kits that have been done in the 2d cel shaded style. Meanwhile, I've been getting burned out by the tediousness of blending and want something much faster and sharper for a few minis and think this might be a great compromise (there's some blends for the shadow effects but not as much). I'll probably use the tie fighter anime short film as inspirations for drawing shadow lines.

I think this is probably gonna look better overall anyway since the ships are really tiny and the sharp contrasts will be visually distinctive. Most of the blending I tend to do can't even be seen unless you look closely. I think the comic book look suits star wars better.

E: if anyone here knows where I can find images of ships from any of the new comics series, I'd appreciate it.

I'd actually be interested in a line of ships painted in the Moebius style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYuqfy2IkAg

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Chill la Chill posted:

That's it. I'm painting SLAM SECTOR graffiti on my 2400. However, I don't know how to style graffiti. Also where should I place it? Thinking front middle section?

Having it look tagged all over like a NYC subway train during the '80s would be badass.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Additionally, shooting secondary weapons through obstacles (asteroids and debris clouds) still gives the defender an extra defense die.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

I use one of these bad boys: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Pro-PRO-Binder-4-Pocket-Black/dp/B0094J1PJ8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1443255242&sr=8-1&keywords=pro-binder

The elastic strap keeps things snug.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Carbonite paint job with chrome trim.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Supposedly it started as trolling from 4chan and blew up on twitter. http://mashable.com/2015/10/20/boycott-star-wars-hashtag-trolling/?utm_cid=mash-com-Tw-main-link#P24DQZHwiPqp

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

I think people have been using tea kettles to get that jet of steam coming out the spout directly on the joint. I hear another method is using a hair dryer.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

The horizontal wings towards the back are one piece. With some heat the whole part should pop off. https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/188383-hounds-tooth-wing-removal-pics/

Keep in mind this is something I haven't done myself but observed from posts in this thread.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Deviant posted:

Some dude who found out i played invited me over to a casual game at his house, and then was like "Yeah, we don't use proxies."

"But...it's a casual game."
"We use tournament rules."
"Hmm..maybe I'll pass, thanks."

*Delete Contact*

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

"There's also a $5 entry fee to play at my house."

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

As a personal challenge I was flying this build for a handful of games against my friends:

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

Royal Guard Pilot (22)
Push the Limit (3)
Autothrusters (2)
Stealth Device (3)
Royal Guard TIE (0)

"Whisper" (32)
Veteran Instincts (1)
Fire-Control System (2)
Advanced Cloaking Device (4)

Total: 99

View in Yet Another Squad Builder

They won each game, but my god. Flying with a total squadron health of 10 makes for a very tense match.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

^^^^The Attacker can't reroll those dice before Sensor Jammer. That single modified hit is basically forcing the attacker to use a focus to get it back.

It goes Attacker rolls dice -> Defender modifies attack dice -> Attacker modifies dice in any order they wish.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 28, 2015

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

jeeves posted:

However the whole miniatures thing is too much of "turbo nerd" for her. She does love Star Wars though...

I... I don't understand.

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

I've flown a similar list a few times but with Whisper instead of Echo and no Intel Agent. It's super fun, but super tough. A single bad defense roll can mean doom for each of your ships, and once one of them dies you lose coverage and you end up with a cascade effect of dead pilots.

BOGO LOAD fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BOGO LOAD
Jul 1, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there, does anyone still have the photos someone posted a while back that shows how/where the rear maneuvering fins on the Satan Wagon detach? Since I was given a 666 for my birthday yesterday (on the day the movie came out too - excellent timing Disney :woop:), and I want to try that 'hold over boiling water' trick that was posted a while back, so that it'll actually fit in my Plano case.
Thanks

https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/188383-hounds-tooth-wing-removal-pics/

• Locked thread