Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

overdesigned posted:

Yay, new thread!

So, normally Expose is a crap upgrade, because you're statistically better off just focusing your regular attack dice as your action. But now Experimental Interface changes the game!

Rear Admiral Chiraneau (Decimator)
+Expose
+Experimental Interface
+Ysanne Isard
+Moff Jerjerrod
+Intelligence Agent

Now I can focus as my primary action, then use Experimental Interface to Expose. I don't lose agility since I'm already at zero, and now I roll four focused dice every turn (five at range 1). Downside is I'm stressed to do it, but since I have a turret I can do soft-2 greens all day and usually be okay. Ish. Ysanne gives free evades, the Moff lets me cancel particularly nasty crit effects (by first spacing the Intel Agent, then himself).

40 points left over to do whatever with. I'm thinking 2x Black Squadron TIEs + Predator + Hull Upgrade.

Given that it's an obvious target, would using a Rebel Captive make sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

overdesigned posted:

I considered it, but Rebel Captive only works once a turn and I think I'd rather take the evade from Ysanne and live longer.

It's a ton of points, but I'm wondering how the combination of Isard, Tactician, and Rebel Captive would do. Now you can really concentrate the stress on targets, which seems really valuable.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

The Gate posted:

Tactician isn't so great on the Decimator. It's reasonably maneuverable for a large ship, but Tac only works in firing arc.

Ah, that's what I was confused about. So "firing arc" always refers to the forward 90 degrees, even on a turreted ship. Got it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What's the best way to store everything? My current solution is running out of room.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Ville Valo posted:

gently caress setup and tear-down, I just want to play.

Cat-Proof Carrying Case

Rebel Transport's en route from CoolStuffInc and I didn't punch out all the extra tokens okay?!

One of everything, plus one of those pluck-foam ones below this with extra Slave I, Defender (oddly shaped), etc.

Upside: Looks great, holds everything.

Downside: Funding an rear end in a top hat.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chill la Chill posted:

Higher buy-in cost just attracts spergs if we look at war hams' clientele. X-wing attracts people who like pew pew noises and the movies so it's a bunch of cool dudes. Fly casual is the motto for the nova squadron. It helps that the rules and balance is tight so there are no grognard arguments. In my experience the playerbase is older and many have kids. They're the cool dad types.

Are you in the NOVA area? I live in Waldorf and would love to find a group of people to pew pew spaceships with.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would only be cool with brownie points if they led to receiving literal brownies and had nothing to do with the tournament.

Actually gently caress it, I would call them beer points for the after party.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Otisburg posted:

Top 4 elimination rounds start in 20.
Brobots
Thug life
Vader zeta ace and whisper
Roark Garnett with TLT and 3 blue squadron t70s with r5 and IA

For someone who hasn't really paid attention since the Decimator came out, what do these things mean?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thespaceinvader posted:

Brobots: IG88s in Aggressors, two of them, with Heavy Laser Cannons and... other stuff. They share each other's pilot abilities, and are shockingly agile for big ships.

Thug Life: 4x Twin Laser Turret Scum Syndicate Thug y-wings with Unhinged Astromechs.

Vader in a TIE Advanced, Zeta Ace is a low PS TIE f/o pilot who acts as a PS12 until damaged, Whisper is the PS7 Phantom pilot.

Roark Garnet is a HWK pilot who makes an ally PS12, R5 astromech flips a crit facedown once per round. Seems like R2 would be better on that build, and overall seems like a build that I'm shocked made it to top 4 in a tournament, HWKs pretty much universally suck and die.

Cool, thanks.

Wow, TLT is pretty crazy.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Does the R3-A2 ability work twice with TLT?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I was loving around and came up with this list. Let me know what you think. It's all pretty standard stuff but it seems like a pretty powerful combination:

Wedge Antilles (36)
R2-D2 (4)
Predator (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (39)
R5-P9 (3)
Predator (3)
Autothrusters (2)

Gold Squadron Pilot (25)
BTL-A4 Y-Wing (0)
R3-A2 (2)
Ion Cannon Turret (5)

Predator and regeneration in offensive players seems like a pretty logical counter for concentrated fire against swarms with TLT, while the stress hog has all the obvious benefits. Thoughts?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chill la Chill posted:

Lol WOP won the games 'n stuff store champs this morning at 3am. Likely to be yet again the impromptu regional for the nova area as they once again pass it over for some place 3-4 hours away.

I didn't realize a lot of you guys were in the Maryland area. I need friends who play X-Wang. Is there anything closer than G&S, or do any of you get together regularly? I live in Waldorf.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Chill la Chill posted:

Join nova squadron on Facebook and post about it. I only really go to DW and GNS in MD because anything else is pretty far. I stick to VA stores most of the time.

Yeah I'm a member there and I just posted in it. Hopefully I can find a way to get out of the house and finally get some nerd time.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
If I take Tycho Celchu + A-Wing Test Pilot + Push the Limit + Experimental Interface do I get three actions per turn? Would that combined with Squad Leader be a viable idea for action economy?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Also does Esege Tuketu's ability count as "having" a focus token for Poe Dameron?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

bunnyofdoom posted:

No because EI works on cards taht say action, and you have none equipped on Tycho (example: Marksmanship, or squad leader)

Right, but if I did have Squad Leader it would work?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

thespaceinvader posted:

Yes, you'd get to do 3 actions per turn, as long as your other EPT is an Action: one. No, it's probably not worth it, because XI costs you Autothrusters. Combining it with Squad Leader is iffy for me.

Tycho probably wants something like Daredevil that gives him stress, or Wired that gives him bennies for being stressed.

Thanks, good points all around.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I've always been partial to the Skipray Blastboast.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Raging Keyan Farlander could be fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kai Tave posted:

The problem is you can only spend one stress per attack so if you get saddled with double stress the problem is you come out of the fight with stress still on you, which limits a lot of Keyan's options. The traditional way to use him is gaining a stress via a red maneuver or something like Stay on Target and then shedding it with the attack, allowing you to pull the same maneuvers/tricks every round without pause, getting saddled with excess stress interrupts that. It's actually less good for him.

Yes there's a limit there but it's still viable. A buddy with Wingman or E2 + Kanaan Jarrus are all pretty viable options.

Keyan Farlander (29)
Rage (1)
B-Wing / E2 (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)

Total: 34

Now every turn you can rage and still dump both stress with a white maneuver, plus be a stress relief for all your friends.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
This could be fun:

ANGRY PILOTS

Keyan Farlander (34)
B-Wing (29)
Rage (1)
B-Wing / E2 (1)
Kanan Jarrus (3)

Tycho Celchu (28)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Chardaan Refit (-2)
Wired (1)
Rage (1)
Autothrusters (2)

62 points total. Who would go with it?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Weirdneal posted:

Why would you want Wired on Tycho? Rage gives a free focus token. Give him PTL and Prockets.

Good point. I was thinking about how Wired would be useful for both attack and defense. I guess between Rage and PTL you're just assuming he never does a k-turn ever again?

Are Prockets worth the net 5 points it would cost over Chardaan refit? That's a pretty steep price IMO.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What is IA?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I played my first game of X-Wing in years against my wife. She has never played. We did the tutorial mission, her playing Resistance and me playing First Order.

I won with one hull point left on my remaining TIE.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tekopo posted:

I had about 4 hours to spare and I really wanted the TIE/D to fit with my FOs so here we go:

I need to neaten the wings but I'm pretty happy considering I hardly ever paint.

Hit it with a light wash, like a super deep blue to really bring out the blacks. It'll help with your lines a bit and the shading will really add a new level.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I'm putting together a list based on the models I have (Original Core, Force Unleashed Core, YT-1300, Lambda, Slave I, 2x B-Wing, 2x Y-Wing, X-Wing, 2x A-Wing, 2x Rebel Aces, 2x Imperial Aces, HWK-290, 2x E-Wing, 2x Interceptor, 2x TIE Bomber, 2x TIE Fighter, 2x Z-95, 1x TIE Advanced, 2x TIE Defender, 2x TIE Phantom) and this is what I came up with for playing around today. Thoughts?

Tycho Celchu (36)
A-Wing (26)
A-Wing Test Pilot (0)
Proton Rockets (3)
Push the Limit (3)
Stealth Device (3)
Wired (1)

Wedge Antilles (38)
X-Wing (29)
BB-8 (2)
Proton Torpedoes (4)
Predator (3)

Blue Squadron Pilot (25)
B-Wing (22)
B-Wing/E2 (1)
Jan Ors (2)

Thoughts?

Tekopo posted:

Thanks, I'll give it a try. Will need to get the wash though, any recommendations? I'll probably try to use some masking tape to make the lines straighter.

You can make your own wash by adding water to acrylic paint. Future Floor Polish is also a good medium to experiment with (it's clear acrylic), although you'll want to hit the model with a matte varnish afterwards unless you like your models super shiny. Otherwise most game stores will sell it, or you can check it out online. It's been years since I really got into painting but Vallejo is one of my go-to companies for good products. There's a really awesome thread here on miniature painting you should check out.

Masking tape won't really help you much because of how small the models are. Your best bet is just a lot of practice. Thin your paints with water, go slow, and keep your brushes clean.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tekopo posted:

Yeah, my main problem is my shaky hand and bad eyesight, but I'm improving. I've tried the wash but I have to be careful: the surface of the white panels picks up the ink and makes it shaded, so I've been brushing the wash mostly on the black struts and fixing the white if it becomes shaded.

I would embrace shading the white. Hit it with a very light blue and you'll see some awesome results. Washes are your friend, especially if you have problems keeping your hands steady.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Tried out the following list:

Tycho / A-Wing Test Pilot / Proton Rockets / Rage / Autothrusters / Push the Limit (35)

Keyan Farlander / Sensor Jammer / Rage / B-Wing/E2 / Kanan Jarrus (38)

Blue Squadron PIlot / Fire-Control System / B-Wing/E2 / Jan Ors (27)

Played against a mixed bag scum list my buddy came up with. It was definitely a viable list, particularly the combination of Kanan/Rage/Keyan. We both made a bunch of hilarious mistakes (like learning how asteroids work) but we had fun.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brunas posted:

Don't do this, it was bad.

I agree, it doesn't seem to do enough for the points. Raging Tycho OTOH seems viable, especially when you fire proton rockets.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
[ANAL PROCKETING]

96 points

PILOTS

Green Squadron Pilot (24) x 4
A-Wing (19), A-Wing Test Pilot (0), Proton Rockets (3), Rage (1), Guidance Chips (0), Crack Shot (1)

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Panzeh posted:

So, Han ain't dead, kids. The key is patience. Very few lists benefit from bum rushing from the start.

I also think that for lists like mine setup is just a way to manipulate the opponent more than anything. Both Han and Miranda have a ton of movement options and I can split them up in all kinds of ways. Things like brobots have intricate game plans but I just do things that troll my opponent.

Can you type that list out? I can't read the cards.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How many of us are in the DC/MD/VA area?

Also what does PWT mean?

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Feb 14, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Why do folks pefer YASB and not this one?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
How does Predator and Han's ability work together? You can't reroll a die that's already been rerolled once, so how does having two reroll abilities work?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tekopo posted:

I actually spent quite a bit of Sunday taking my time, repainting the white areas, shading it, then retouching any of the black areas that I messed up, and now the paint job is much neater and the lines are much clearer. I bought some blue wash and diluted it to wash the white areas and it really added a lot more definition to those areas.I'm still having trouble keeping the white from not looking streaky but it looks a lot better and neater than it was before :)

Thanks for the advice!

Post it! Streaky washes can be fixed by adding a drop or two of future floor wax or by painting the wash inside the crevices and intentionally leaving the high spots exposed. You can also experiment with drybrushing a bit; I get a lot of mileage out of painting hard surfaces by combining drybrushing, washing, and manual highlighting.

Now I feel compelled to paint something.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Brunas posted:

That seems... frustrating to play. Every game would end in one player pissed that their opponent brought something less poo poo, even if it isn't min/maxed... Do you just assemble your army and hope your opponent is playing something that is the same level of nonoptimal as you? What a mess. How did (competitive) warhammer ever end get popular.

Just a caveat, but I quit playing 40K a few years ago. Likely my perception is skewed.

Competitive 40K became popular around the time 3rd edition came out. 3rd edition was the first time GW really attempted to clean up their rules set, tightening things down and making it less about pure random chance and more about predictable play. Personally I argue 3rd edition was one of the best rulesets GW ever came out with, and everything they've done since then has been a steady decline back to 2nd edition and chance dictating everything. Originally GW would run tournaments, but then they discovered that doing so would mean they would have to actually support their lovely rules and so instead they dropped all of the community stuff and doubled down on shoving out models and rules/systems/lists designed to encourage you to buy more models. Competitive 40K is not fun (at least in my experience). The rules are far too sloppy to make it work and unless you bring a top tier list specifically designed to exploit the metagame then you're pretty much hosed. Beer and pretzels 40K is less about actually playing the game and more about hanging out with your friends and having a good time. Frankly I'm not a huge fan of it either at this point, mostly because the rules are far too tedious and in the time since 3rd edition came out game design has vastly improved. There are far better games out there that are not only more engaging but also more fun. I consider X-Wing to be one such game, and Infinity to be another.

Unfortunately the problem of competitive versus casual lists is prevalent in any game. X-Wing is unique in that the game itself is heavily skill based due to how maneuvering works, so bringing a top tier list is not as sure-fire as it was for 40K back when I played. And different players view the game differently, even in this thread. One player might consider Thug Life to be lovely and not fun to play against, another player might see that list as a challenge to beat. It all depends on your local group, the nature of the venue, and a variety of other things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

guts and bolts posted:

Yeah, that was my general understanding - that Warhammer is so fundamentally broken that you cannot field a competitive army or the community will turn against you. This seems to be a by-product of buy-in cost and the amount of effort it takes just to construct a single army. If you painstakingly paint an army of bads, you still spent $500 on them, they still look cool, but they're poo poo - so it feels bad having them get wrecked by some guy with bare plastic running Good Stuff Du Jour. You're on point about X-Wing not having a need for that kind of attitude - there's plenty of viable top-flight lists, and if you think "Well poo poo, Brobots is OP as hell" you can buy in to Brobots for certainly less than $500.

This is another big part of the difference between X-Wing and 40K. The far lower barrier to entry (both in terms of money and time) makes it far easier to be flexible with respect to a list. That said "community" is a misnomer. If you bring a poo poo list to the NOVA Open 40K tournament you will get murdered. On the other hand they specifically have narrative matches because competitive 40K can be unfun.

Also anyone here going to NOVA? I'm tempted to get a pass and show up. I used to run the 40K scoring stuff but got burned out.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kilo147 posted:

So, bought my first of three Defenders, and as soon as I start to put it together, the goddamn stand snaps off inside the TIE. I suppose it kinda helps, since I'll be repainting it in white, but how do I fix it, besides drilling and replacing with a brass rod?

If it was a defect in the item itself then I would contact FFG and have them send you a replacement. Their customer service has been pretty good, at least in my experience.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Endman posted:

I just like painting little plastic dudes and having them fight other little plastic dudes :negative:

We all do, and it's a good thing that's awesome and fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

alg posted:

"Forging the narrative" in Warhammer is always manchild bullshit. 40k has the worst fluff in the world. Like brave knights massacring armies of good lady warriors and bathing in their blood to ward off evil

If that was intentional then I applaud you.

40K's lore is as hit or miss as any other massive fictional universe. Personally I love how over the top and thematic it is. Naturally I also love the Ork fluff.

• Locked thread