Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lonesomedwarf posted:

what i would say to isis

take a pull at the hellhorn, an you get there before me! *leaps into battle*

good luck on your quest!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

lonesomedwarf posted:

who maliki

ths educate on this poo poo i know you got nothing better to do actually i dont know im just guessing

hes no rafiki thats for sure

he was iraq's leader, but very bad at his job. everyone wanted em to resign, and he's really dragging his butt to do so.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

the kurds are strange to me because it seems that everyone Ive ever spoken to or read about thinks they're good guys aside from the Turks.

What did they do to obtain such all-reaching approval? Just minding their own business?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

monkey models change a ton though on a case-by-case basis

money model jets often are fine, but without a few features that can the Soviets didnt want to share (datalink in the MiG32MLD IIRC) and ammo being of older generations rather than new. I dont think monkey model helicopters exist as they crash on their own whether monkey modeled or not.

monkey models arent innately poo poo, they're just based off older generations of tanks from the get-go. So they arent upgraded "properly" and poo poo ammo wise and composite armor wise etc. Automotive poo poo is generally the same.

wonder if they monkey model ships? Like their missile-frigates etc

Dandywalken fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Aug 16, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TheIllestVillain posted:

i don't think he was actually actual targeted, these green on blue attacks are almost always committed by some disgruntled pleb who ends up emptying his weapon into nearby foreigners

Yep, pretty much. It doesnt seem to have been a big planned "TRAIN GUY IN AAF TO ASSASSINATE GENERAL" thing so much as a guy getting pissed and capping a dude.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Zippy the Bummer posted:

i've said this before but i unironically enjoy the fact that my tax dollars in some small way aid the instadeath of isis the genocidal psychopathic cartoon bad guys, and in entertaining movie fashion no less

ty to the DoD for posting vids of bombs blowing up isis men (and equipment), and also to the kurds for posting vids gloating about isis death

but are the kurds winning or able to hold their own? Is US air support helping them really, or just allowing ISIS a chance to rest and fortify its towns/upgrade its watch towers to guard towers?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

obelisk of light? more like obelisk of FRIGHT!

When I heard em "UmmMMMMMMM" I knew someone was about to get zippity-zapped!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

US Navy fighters were dropping bombs on moms too from manned jets

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

THS posted:

lol yeah the more and more our military becomes remotely operated - the less likely it becomes that anyone at all will be harmed on our side - the easier its going to get to sell any fuckoff intervention. whats the cost to us, really? bomb the evil fucks. send vice in to make a spooky documentary. itt we are liberal humanitarians advocating war

i have the feeling this is gonna be more and more common with Our Robot Troops

yeah pretty much sadly

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

THS posted:

the consolidation of incompatible sects, the abolition of colonial borders - all of this is bloody, hosed up, and probably better for everyone in the long run

everytime we go in to stop this horrific bullshit its just delaying it for a later date

just let it happen. waving our dick in the middle east is always a bad idea. and when the next terrorist attack happens it will just be our chickens... coming home.. to roost.

Does your stance include being against the evacuation operations that took place? Or primarily just "Dont bomb poo poo"?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

THS posted:

im not ideologically opposed to stuff like evacuating the yazidis and im overselling what i actually think because its gbs

what im trying to get at is that 1) the united states doesnt do stuff like this for actual humanitarian reasons, if we cared about that we wouldnt be supplying arms to the israelis and saudis. 2) there is so much precedent for cynically using real tragedies like the yazidis as a cover for attempting to consolidate further political control over the middle east

i just think its dumb to be taken in by scary youtube videos of legitimately awful people doing horrible poo poo, and then tugged at by the tragedy of the people impacted - and then basing foreign policy on those Feelings in a really complicated region when youre an imperial power with a terrible loving track record of massacres and war crimes

I agree entirely with your opinion. You're a good mensch.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

1gnoirents posted:

also its one thing to do this stuff, which by all accounts actually happens pretty often all over the world at some point or another. its really kind of weird and retarded to post stuff like this on youtube though, like its not good for your cause or self preservation of your "movement"

Yeah, thats a big part of what makes this so weird to me. The active use of social media and poo poo makes it seem like its a parody of a hypothetical whack-assed future, except its actually happening.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The Brown Menace posted:

the question is will they pay the debts

:eyepop:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Davincie posted:

no seriously, send in the anime helicopters

It is time.

Let them soar.

And let ISIS know fear.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RevSyd posted:

Japan and Germany missed out big when it came time to draw cartoons on weapons. They were taught to embellish their vehicles with proud totems and historical symbols, while we'd draw slutty woman and drunken mascots.

I expect Japan to tear out all stops as to crew humorously decorating equipment if they transition to an offensive army. They'd look like something out of 4chan, and probably cause many of their foes to avert their eyes,

That versus ISIS's weird internet-culture references would be amazing to see tbh

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

couldve bought so many boxes of swisher sweets instead. drat.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

THS posted:

american weapons and armored vehicles are all far better than their soviet equivalents, unironically

:eyepop:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

I dunno if them using it is a sort of discredit to the whole "M16's cant work for poo poo in the desert you IDIOTS!!!" talk, or if they're just out of AK's.

But I dont think you can run out of AK's in the Middle East.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Speaking of russian stuff, what happened to the TOS-1's and Frogfoots that the Russians sold them? Have they seen any action yet?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

IMO ISIS could fly the Blackhawks, but they'd have no reason to (even if they had trained pilots, which isnt outside of the realm of possibility). And if they flew them, then maintenance would be a huge issue that I dont think could be overcome easily. Without all the support infrastructure its just a waste of time and resources.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

RevSyd posted:

Pentagon had some sneaky project in Vietnam where they gave some people booby trapped explosive soviet 7x62 rounds they they were supposed to plant in enemy pouches and magazines to convince the enemy that the M-16 was superior because AK-47s blew up a lot.

Yeah, but read up on how that project turned out.

There's no need to funnel them anything tbh. Things are at a kind of stalemate for now. I imagine the threat of US air hitting moving groups limits the chance for any real action since ISIS is just hunkering down in villages etc where airstrikes wont hit.

Everyone is just sort of chilling while the Kurds get their breath back, and try to figure out where to go from here.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Frostwerks posted:

what was the name of the project

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Eldest_Son

Honestly didnt know til I googled "CIA fake ammo vietnam" or some such :(

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

and thats why you always send 2 guys long a on dust 2

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Egypt did ok in the 2nd war I think? I had a hundred-page thesis/examination someone did on their performance in that compared to earlier and later ones. It was the one with the Suez crossing, and the proliferation of anti-tank missiles. They actually had made some very sound plans, and pulled it off drat well to boot. The writeup kind of blamed Syria for the loss more or less, but idk how much of that is true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Vernii posted:

They did well but it was an operation with very limited aims and literally scripted out to an obsessive level of detail. They built a full size replica of the canal, and had every unit rehearse its particular role in the operation every day for two years. That meant if you're some enlisted grunt who's only job is to hook up a hose to wash away a sand berm, you repeated that process over seven hundred times before the actual launch of the offensive.

Yes, Arab armies can come up with some decent plans (the Iraqi invasion of Kuwait was well executed and rapid), but the problem is that their campaigns are all scripted and no one deviates from it, which means that the instant an enemy army gets inside their command loop and Command is no longer running a proactive campaign but is now reactive, it all goes to hell because that's the point where tactical leadership is helpless.

Like the Egyptians during Desert Storm conducted hours long shellings on abandoned Iraqi positions because that was the plan and no one bothered to change the orders to account for the Iraqi army not actually being there.

Yeah, that makes sense. I wonder if this was a thing inherited from Soviet doctrine or what. Alot of Russians claim that the demand to "stick to the plan" is way overstated, but I dunno.

I'd totally forgotten about the berm-blasters though. Didnt they covertly buy 'em from Italy or some-such just for that purpose? As you said, it really was a well rehearsed operation. But once the guy who's line is ahead of yours gets shot, it all goes to hell :P

• Locked thread