Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
My mom plays wow so I'll ask her if this is worth buying for you, op.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Penguins
Feb 18, 2006

by Cowcaster
Grimey Drawer

Buschmaki posted:

My mom plays wow so I'll ask her if this is worth buying for you, op.

who is hotter, your mom or her toon?

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

The Taint Reaper posted:

MMos as a whole are dying. Being top MMO is like being king of poo poo mountain. The fact that they're adding more grind poo poo in is showing just how bad it's become. They're not all that big into the fun aspect anymore. And it's really telling when the devs who left come out and say it.

Gotta pad that hours played for subscription money.

LaTex Fetish posted:

what video games does qnqnx like??!

Certainly not MMOs.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Liquid Penguins posted:

who is hotter, your mom or her toon?

Neither of them are an anime or cortana from halo so who cares??

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I gave up on wow but I hope warlords makes it fun again for the people who are still playing.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Silver Alicorn posted:

I gave up on wow but I hope warlords makes it fun again for the people who are still playing.

this was very impish of you :)

Grakdesh
Jul 21, 2005

High-functioning otaku.
I want it to make WoW fun again but I've wanted that for a long time.

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

The Taint Reaper posted:

MMos as a whole are dying. Being top MMO is like being king of poo poo mountain. The fact that they're adding more grind poo poo in is showing just how bad it's become. They're not all that big into the fun aspect anymore. And it's really telling when the devs who left come out and say it.

*billions of dollars and millions of players* yup that's poo poo mountain deffos

Crewmine
Apr 26, 2012
"there's no integrity in these mountains of money i'm rolling around on" - sobbing blizzard exec, 2014

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I'm just glad ghost crawler has moved on to ruin lol like he did wow.

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

i wish I was ghost crawler because I can't think of anyone else who has literally hosed video games

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Mr. Pumroy posted:

*billions of dollars and millions of players* yup that's poo poo mountain deffos

They can't make a fun videogame out of all of those billions, that's sufficient reason for concern.

I mean StarCraft 2 is screwed beyond all means, Heroes of the Storm sucks big fat balls, Diablo 3 was ruined and then fixed and now it's slowly falling back into ruined category.

Honestly I feel Blizzard has burned out all their good will that they built up.

Biggie Shorty
Oct 8, 2008
Gonna buy it and play for about 3 months then unsub. Beats going outside and being murdered by a cop.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

The Taint Reaper posted:

They can't make a fun videogame out of all of those billions, that's sufficient reason for concern.

I mean StarCraft 2 is screwed beyond all means, Heroes of the Storm sucks big fat balls, Diablo 3 was ruined and then fixed and now it's slowly falling back into ruined category.

Honestly I feel Blizzard has burned out all their good will that they built up.

Diablo 3 owns after that big change they did. How are they ruining D3?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Diablo 3 owns after that big change they did. How are they ruining D3?

They're now making seasons or whatever where you can only get specific legendaries for participating in seasons, much like how wow did their PVP thing except this is for PVE.

So you have to level up a fresh guy under the specific conditions and after the season is over you get ranked, you can't use a preexisting character. It's not that bad yet, but considering that slippery slopes have ruined their other games it's not out of the realms of possibilities.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 16, 2014

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

The Taint Reaper posted:

They're now making seasons or whatever where you can only get specific legendaries for participating in seasons, much like how wow did their PVP thing except this is for PVE.

So you have to level up a fresh guy under the specific conditions and after the season is over you get ranked, you can't use a preexisting character.

god drat blizzard went full korean

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

thuly posted:

god drat blizzard went full korean

They're still operating under the premises that the prestige of digital items really really really matter. Which was why they added all those grinds to WoW so those players who sunk nearly a decade into the game could feel some sense of self worth. Which in turn have become worse than Everquest grinds which was what WoW was about eliminating.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Im pretty sure the cloak thing was so you had to stay subbed if you wanted to raid instead of just clearing the patch and quitting for three months until there were new assholes to murder since there were a giant pile of rare bafmodads you needed to make the grey ? turn yellow and the rewards were mandatory for relevant content

yeah you're right about everquest level horse poo poo

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

The Taint Reaper posted:

So you have to level up a fresh guy under the specific conditions and after the season is over you get ranked, you can't use a preexisting character. It's not that bad yet, but considering that slippery slopes have ruined their other games it's not out of the realms of possibilities.

is the season thing like the ladder from d2?

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

i really am thinking about resubbing and playing the gently caress out of WoD. i mean, back when it was introduced at blizzcon '13 i was mildly interested. I was like, "okay cool, back to outland but uncorrupted by demon influence. i really liked burning cursade and all the zones and i liked the enemies there as well. i felt it refreshing and finally we don't have to stay put in bloody azeroth once again; we can finally go out and explore a new world (yes i know draenor = outland, but new but who cares?). i really want to see what is going on in draenor regarding the mok'nathal, the draenei itself, and the various lands and zones that are significantly altered with regards to the whole storyline. i like the new character models (male dwarfs especially) and it finally looks like a game that didn't come out in the 2000s. i am a big sucker for anything orc related so this entices my interest beyond any other expansion I guess. plus the cinamatic really was good. a big applause once again to Blizzards cinematic department, it was really good, and assured me that cgi character do have the ability to display emotion or have a soul. i was really captivated by gul'dan fear of, "what is happening, this cannot be." to grom basically saying, "we shall not be slaves to no one." At the end of the cinematic you see the Iron Horde building the dark portal and you just know that trouble is coming and bam, there is the expansion, the story, the purpose. i guess what really bums me out about the whole thing though is grom is looked as a hero to the original horde. with this expansion he comes off as the main villain and it just tarnishes his image, which I think is a shame.

am I going to get WoD? Yes. will I enjoy it? probably. will the story/progression be good? I hope so.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

tranime scholar posted:

is the season thing like the ladder from d2?

it's supposed to invoke the feeling of the ladder from d2 with greater rift leaderboards

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
I won't because WoW is an awful game but I gotta say that trailer was pretty cool.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I'm waiting for WoW forum OPs to see what all's changed before deciding.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
D2 ladder resets always brought new ladder only items. Also was basically a silent way of cleaning out the massive Amount of duped items and giving normal items value again

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Anime Device posted:

i really am thinking about resubbing and playing the gently caress out of WoD. i mean, back when it was introduced at blizzcon '13 i was mildly interested. I was like, "okay cool, back to outland but uncorrupted by demon influence. i really liked burning cursade and all the zones and i liked the enemies there as well. i felt it refreshing and finally we don't have to stay put in bloody azeroth once again; we can finally go out and explore a new world (yes i know draenor = outland, but new but who cares?). i really want to see what is going on in draenor regarding the mok'nathal, the draenei itself, and the various lands and zones that are significantly altered with regards to the whole storyline. i like the new character models (male dwarfs especially) and it finally looks like a game that didn't come out in the 2000s. i am a big sucker for anything orc related so this entices my interest beyond any other expansion I guess. plus the cinamatic really was good. a big applause once again to Blizzards cinematic department, it was really good, and assured me that cgi character do have the ability to display emotion or have a soul. i was really captivated by gul'dan fear of, "what is happening, this cannot be." to grom basically saying, "we shall not be slaves to no one." At the end of the cinematic you see the Iron Horde building the dark portal and you just know that trouble is coming and bam, there is the expansion, the story, the purpose. i guess what really bums me out about the whole thing though is grom is looked as a hero to the original horde. with this expansion he comes off as the main villain and it just tarnishes his image, which I think is a shame.

am I going to get WoD? Yes. will I enjoy it? probably. will the story/progression be good? I hope so.

Here, here.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Yeah gonna play wod and hope its buggy as gently caress

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Also keeps you from twinking the poo poo out of your chars.

You'd be Lvl 13 like drat a full sigons set would own right now but I just have this random poo poo I found just like everyone else

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose

BrettRobb posted:

D2 ladder resets always brought new ladder only items. Also was basically a silent way of cleaning out the massive Amount of duped items and giving normal items value again

d2's economy was hilarious. blizz kept adding poo poo that no one would ever be able to make even if they played for 1000 hours w/out dupes or botting. then they'd do poo poo like ruststorms and mass botting bans. then they finally gave up and made a legit game feature that required people to sell duped items. never did it dawn on them to just up droprates or w/e

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Silver Striker posted:

the normal boxed edition costs 50, which is more than the previous ones did iirc

45€ for the standard digital version, holy crap.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Falsum posted:

I won't because WoW is an awful game but I gotta say that trailer was pretty cool.

Yeah the trailer is really cool but you know playing an MMO w/o friends is an exercise in frustration. So I kinda wish they could have made a better game. Because Outside of completing quests(which they really have not changed to make them more interesting) you're pretty much up poo poo's creek late into the expansion with nothing to do. I kind of have the same issue with IOS games, where they have a bunch of amazing stuff but it's beneath layers upon layers of bullshit that's not really fun.

Like yeah they can make really great areas to explore and some raids had really good aesthetics, but then they make the quests a chore to do, add a bunch of different currencies that are only able to get a certain amount each day, and just limit what you can do. D3 did poo poo right, where you can go wherever you want solo or a full party and just smash things. The Skills for D3 are really easy to understand how they work and there's no need for meters or poo poo or extra mods. WoW should have become more like Diablo in the end, but they're too busy making sure that it's filled with archaic gameplay features. Like even Monster Hunter 3U and 4 threw out a ton of these features and they were better games for it.

But Devs were saying that this was either the last or next to last expansion since it's level 100. Dunno if they're holding to that now.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Aug 16, 2014

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

They said they were working on the expansion after warlords before they even announced warlords

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

thuly posted:

They said they were working on the expansion after warlords before they even announced warlords

There was something I heard too about expansions being released every 6 months, but that was before the buyout. But considering EQ is still going I doubt they're going to pull out anytime soon unless it's posing a threat to whatever their Titan thing is going to be.

Then again 800,000 people left the game last quarter
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/08/13/gamescom-2014-world-of-warcraft-admits-need-for-more-regular-expansions

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

IIRC the titan thing turned out to not be anything I thought.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wormskull posted:

Ah ok. I wonder if they're going to make another Diablo 3 expansion. I know StarCraft 2's is coming but after Heart of the Swarm, I dunno if I can get excited about it.

I mean I want to like Blizzard's stuff again I really do. But other than D3:ROS, everything recent they've done has left a bad taste in my mouth.

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Lipstick Apathy
Activision

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

thuly posted:

i dont see whats so crazy about this. people generally complain that the expansions last too long so now they will be shorter.

honestly taint reaper is just bellyaching about a wow. i didnt really enjoy mists at all but its still a cool game and a lot of people still enjoy it and it would have to lose an insane number of people to not be profitable as hell. for reference, ff11, a game which i dont think ever broke 400k subs, is the most profitable ff game to date

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
People complained about expansions being too long? Lol oh no I'm getting too much lovely game for my money!!

Dec 26, 2012

Wormskull posted:

they were making something but ended up scrapping it entirely i think

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

People complained about expansions being too long? Lol oh no I'm getting too much lovely game for my money!!

well the complaint is that each expansion is basically broken up into 3 or 4 major patches (and 3 tiers of raid content)

so the complaint with mists of pandaria was that the initial raid tier and the second one lasted about 5 months each, the last one will have lasted for about a year by the time warlords comes out

i dont raid anymore so it doesnt bother me either way but thats what the complaint is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

i don't think i can play a tab targeted mmo anymore :\

• Locked thread