Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

LowellDND posted:

I've played the first few levels of Dawn of War, but haven't done it extensively. Just know the lore a bit from 1d4chan.

Do you mean DoW 1 or 2? You probably know already, but DoW 1 is about Space Marines fighting Chaos while being distracted by Orks and Eldar. Winter Assault is about Orks, Eldar, Chaos and the Imperial Guard racing to capture a Titan. Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are more free for all insanity, but each faction does have their own neat little story.

DoW 2 is about Space Marines fighting Tyranids (very relevant in this campaign) while being distracted by Orks and Eldar, as usual. Chaos Rising is about fighting Chaos, naturally. Retribution is about all the factions (featuring the Imperial Guard and Inquisition!) getting to decide who gets to save/destroy/loot the subsector. Or maybe just finish their quest for a very nice hat.

All of the games feature gratuitous, incredible overacting and entire planets being destroyed. If you don't have the time or inclination to play through, good people have uploaded the conversations, quotes and cinematics to YouTube. Oh, and Space Marine is nice in that it has a cool Ultramarine hero punching and shooting his way through tons of Orks and Daemons. A bit limited in scope, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Remind me what Rite of Awe does.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
D even though C is winning by lots. What if there is loot behind those panels, hmm?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kegslayer posted:

C + E

Scan the ship for lifeforms or movement and talk to any Machine Spirits we can find before touching the body or the hold. We know that people have already been here before us so it feels like a trap but there's free loot here!

I vote this

I also keep posting too soon.

Can we take the skull too for processing as a servoskull? Or does it still have meat on it?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Jeanstealers

It was disappointing that your servoskulls couldn’t carry a body. The three that you had equipped with little gripper claws were currently being used to knit, and they lacked the engine power to lift anything serious. Briefly, you considered fitting all of them with gripper claws to act as some strange locust swarm, but decided against it. It would take too long, and it would take away from your surveillance capabilities.

Instead, you decided to investigate the wreck yourself.

You listened to the air, the water. All your weapons were at full charge and in easy reach, and you felt the tingling clarity that came before a likely combat. You weren’t sure, not a hundred percent, but your organics were preparing just in case. A low flood of adrenaline, endorphins, all the combat drugs of the natural human form, widened your eyes and strengthen your muscles. You breathed deep, oxygenated blood filling your veins.

You walked along the frame of the ship with light steps, careful to maintain your balance, careful to listen for any sudden shifts. No Machine-Spirits roused themselves, nothing stirred on the infrared. Now that you knew Tyranids were on the planet, you couldn’t be too cautious. Your servoskull hadn’t revealed anything, but you could never be fully certain. Slowly, slowly, you swung into the cabin, looking about you. Weapon hand raised, breathing slow, focused fully on listening.

The water. The shift of the boat. Possibly something else. . .?

Making your way to the cockpit, always keeping an eye about you, you approached the skeleton in his throne. The video feed didn’t do it justice - the brutality of his death was actually quite impressive. And in the room, a feeling of a presence. . . ? You moved the to the shadows, gun hand ready, listening. You could feel something there, but saw nothing.

Carefully, carefully, you reached for the necklace, pulled it to you.

It had the warmth of a living thing. There were a few minerals that were warm at room temperture, but they shared few characteristics with this gem. You had a hunch, but to confirm it. . . You reached for the pistol, pulling it with two fingertips. It wasn’t trapped, and slid out easily. An Eldar pistol - a Shuriken. It was easily worth more than Megabite, and that made the necklace a spiritstone.

You breathed out. You had to think about what to do with this. Inside, if it was still contained, was a literal Eldar soul. They’d be wanting it back. And there were any number of unsavory types who might want it even more. Even your own Inquisitor, who had shown such hatred of that xeno. Carefully, you pocketed it, wrapped in its own silk. The pistol you hung at your belt, along with its two clips.

Breathing easier, you walked down the length of the ship, approached the water. It had filled the back end of the ship, leaking in through a dozen chasms in the hull, and much of the cargo was soaked and useless. Still, there were a few chests that seemed to still have secure seals. You double checked your gas mask, checked for any defenses, and then opened the chest, facing away from you.

Nothing happened.

You frowned, and turned it to face you. Rows and rows of denim - a rare or fashionable material on some worlds. It seemed like this was one of them. Maybe useful for a microtransaction, but nothing compared to the Eldar items you had collected thus far. Still, it was disappointing that the cargo-bay had been full of jean-stealers. You chuckled at your own joke.

That’s when the screaming started.

What do you do?
A. Run out. You need to support your squad.
B. Wait, listen. You can’t rush into an ambush.
C. Check the radio, see if people are communicating.
D. Hide. Maybe underwater.
E. Something else.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A.

Better to assess and sneak back in then hide not knowing what is out there

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Shadeoses posted:

Do you mean DoW 1 or 2? You probably know already, but DoW 1 is about Space Marines fighting Chaos while being distracted by Orks and Eldar. Winter Assault is about Orks, Eldar, Chaos and the Imperial Guard racing to capture a Titan. Dark Crusade and Soulstorm are more free for all insanity, but each faction does have their own neat little story.

Im unsure. I fought some Orks in a prologue.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Remind me what Rite of Awe does.

50m radius, –10 to all Tests due to Fear.

RandomPauI posted:

Can we take the skull too for processing as a servoskull? Or does it still have meat on it?

Yes, you can grab it.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
B

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
A
Let's do this

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

A Go put that new fancy gun to work! Also hope it doesn't blow up in our hand.

RandomPauI posted:

We really shouldn't use just any old skulls for servo skulling :( it's supposed to be a thing you do to pious people or dead adeptus mechanicus. This xeno loving scum was clearly not a pious dude! Plus we've just made a bunch of gross criminals and guardsmen into skulls it just isn't right :cry:.

The machine spirit thrives in the skulls of the holy minded!

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Feb 14, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A , there's 'nids need shootin'. :clint:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Leave the skull then

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
C

Talk to me people!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A get the gently caress outside, if there's screaming we want to be in an armored vehicle.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LowellDND posted:

Im unsure. I fought some Orks in a prologue.

You should really pick up DOW2: Retribution, if only for the Ork campaign. The writing in that and the IG campaign is hilarious.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im considering it ever since i saw the Krieg reskin.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
The Ork Freebootaz.

I loved that campaign.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
A - better get out there know.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
C, intel, THEN action.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
C + E

Let's not expose ourselves to danger when we have meat to do it for us.

As for the denim, can we take a couple of rolls back if we have room? It might come in handy for trading with the locals when we get to Gamma.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kegslayer posted:

As for the denim, can we take a couple of rolls back if we have room? It might come in handy for trading with the locals when we get to Gamma.

Sure. Your convoy has eaten ~3 days of food, so there is a little space.

A x x x x x, x
B x
C x x
D
E
C/E x

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dark Wu return of the Fu

A good plan now was better than a perfect plan later. You shifted your weight, moving from a standing start to a sprint. The pinnace past you in a flash, even as you loaded a clip into the Shuriken pistol. By the time you got to the break in the hull, both hands were armed and ready. Your eyes flicked everywhere, vehicles, turrets, the river bank, the industrial ruins.

There was a body on the radio tower, hung by his intestines.

Your skin went cold, even as you sprinted to the vehicles. Standing on the hull with no cover was a way to die quickly. The rest of your troops were already hunkering down, in turrets or next to the hardened vehicle sides. On the ground, scraps of food and scattered card games were thrown haphazardly. You accessed your radio at a shout. “What happened? Where are they?”

Matthais was an angry growl. “We don’t know. Marcellus went off on his own to piss.”
“You are supposed to have someone guard you!”
“I know. I know! Can’t fix it now. We heard a scream, and then saw him up there. No one has seen anything.”
You clicked the safety off, furious. Where was the xeno? It had to come out sometime.

What do you do?

A. Send people out as bait and shoot when they get attacked
B. Get the convoy moving, leave the radio tower behind.
C. Adjust the servo skulls in some way. (how?) Infrared and standard hasn’t seen anything.
D. Do a deathblossom and see if anything gets hit.
E. Something else.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
A is a terrible idea, as we're working with a skeleton crew as it is anyways. C is something we don't have time for, and D is a waste of resources and time, again. Tear down the essentials of the radio tower, and B, get moving.

Also, love the new OP layout! Links are good.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

B

a cat irl
Feb 13, 2010
Let's Bounce. They're here, no sense in staying in danger longer than is needed.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
C. Adjust the Skulls to scan for Tyrannid pheremones.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
We're probably fighting a genestealer, but it might actually be a Lictor, and Lowell is leading us down a false trail. I am going to assume the worst and assume it's a Lictor. If I'm wrong, most of these suggestions are still a good precautionary measure.

Imagine me being Ohone's Forbidden Lore: Xenos :rolldice:

Imagine the Alien from the first Alien film and a Predator had a baby. That's what we're fighting against if this thing is a Lictor. Lictors are specialized vanguards/scouts/assassins/terror weapons/ohshitohshitohshit of the Tyranids. Those things like lurking in ambush. In addition, it produces a pheromone that can attract more Tyranids to the area. Also, if it eats someone's brain, it can get their most recent memories, like the disposition of our forces. Ohone is probably its primary target, but those things love to play with their prey first.

C/B - Visual ain't gonna do poo poo if it's a Lictor, those things are like chameleons. But their pheromone trail might give it away, so any chemical sensors on our servo skulls should be tuned up to max sensitivity. If they don't detect anything extraordinary, then it's (probably) not a Lictor, and should switch to motion sensors to help us deal with the far more mundane threat of genestealers. Cover every flank, and do not allow soldiers to split off from the group. If it's genestealers, they'll attack, we'll suffer some casualties, but should easily win. If it's a Lictor, we should try to get a quick kill, and if we can't, get the hell outta dodge, screw the tower.

If we can confirm that it's really a Lictor, we should activate the disco tank (we did bring the disco tank, right?). It'll probably attract a small swarm our way, but it'll disorient the Lictor. IF we're lucky, it might try to adapt it skin to the lightshow, in which case it will be visible for a short time, and easy to kill with focused fire.

my dad fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Feb 14, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

If we can confirm that it's really a Lictor, we should activate the disco tank (we did bring the disco tank, right?). It'll probably attract a small swarm our way, but it'll disorient the Lictor. IF we're lucky, it might try to adapt it skin to the lightshow, in which case it will be visible for a short time, and easy to kill with focused fire.

Sadly, the disco tank is with Third Regiment back at base. Your group is small fast footprint

Headquarters Company (Your retinue)

HQ Platoon:
1 Salamander (Command, 3 servoskulls - Clothos, Lachesis, Atropos)
1 Hellhound (Has Tania, 3 servoskulls)
2 Chimeras (6 fire teams of Death Krieg, 6 servoskulls)

1st Platoon
4 Chimeras (12 fireteams of psider killers, 12 servo skulls)
Lead by Sgt Mathais

2nd Platoon
4 Centaurs (12 fireteams of subsixers, 12 servo skulls) (-1 casualty)
They have the Rough Terrain modifications.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
B

Order all the men to board their transports straight away.

Genestealers would have attacked us straight on in a pack so I think we're definitely dealing with a Lictor. The body on the radio tower is just a trap to draw us in and while we could stay and flush it out, we don't have the men, the time or the resources to spare. The presence of a Lictor indicates more Tyranids are going to be coming so let's just get out of there and hope it doesn't track us all the way to Gamma.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

my dad posted:

C/B - Visual ain't gonna do poo poo if it's a Lictor, those things are like chameleons. But their pheromone trail might give it away, so any chemical sensors on our servo skulls should be tuned up to max sensitivity. If they don't detect anything extraordinary, then it's (probably) not a Lictor, and should switch to motion sensors to help us deal with the far more mundane threat of genestealers. Cover every flank, and do not allow soldiers to split off from the group. If it's genestealers, they'll attack, we'll suffer some casualties, but should easily win. If it's a Lictor, we should try to get a quick kill, and if we can't, get the hell outta dodge, screw the tower.

This guy seems to know what he's talking about.

The only thing I really know about Tyrannids beyond general osmosis is that bolters jam every single time you really need to shoot them.

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
I only realized that we are basically playing defense contractors with influence screwing up the war effort for more influence, money and power. Thanks LowellDND, you are running an awesome game!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

AmyL posted:

I only realized that we are basically playing defense contractors with influence screwing up the war effort for more influence, money and power. Thanks LowellDND, you are running an awesome game!

Thank you :D I take a perverse pleasure in the idea of screwing over the IG (and our own existence) for the bottom line.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

my dad posted:

Voting for this

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
D

It's the only way to win when you're the last.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
my dad's c/b combo seems good.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
plan my dad but conserve ammo, don't deathblossom

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

plan my dad but conserve ammo, don't deathblossom

Fortunately, Deathblossom isn't part of the plan. Either we figure out where the thing is and shoot it, or we don't and we RUUUUUUN for our lives. :derp: Well, drive, but you get the point

e: Also, hey, Last Starfighter reference.

my dad fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Feb 14, 2015

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I like my dad's plan.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Plan My Dad sounds good to me. My first thought in an ambush is "Drive!" but let's make sure to know what we're driving into. Tyranids are clever bugs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Plan mydad