Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

C/D Wait until the storm passes, in case comms are down due to interference. If there is still silence, GTFO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A x x
B x x x
C
D x
C/D x
E

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Time to bug out.

Esper
Nov 23, 2004
Killed a baboon, once.
Vote is nearly split A/B .... C seems like a good compromise to me.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Voting C, to give us some time to try and reestablish communications and rest up while we're at it. Might as well put that Medicae skill to good use.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Outrail posted:

This. So close voting D. I think we're driving into a dead hive.

Well, the humans will be dead. I'm sure we'll have someone to greet us though!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
C It's probably just the storm.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Wentley posted:

Well, the humans will be dead. I'm sure we'll have someone to greet us though!

Its important to show hospitality to guests :)

A x x
B x x x x
C x x x
D x
C/D x
E

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

nothing to seehere posted:

C/D Wait until the storm passes, in case comms are down due to interference. If there is still silence, GTFO.

This, it also gives us time to mend our wounds

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

B Let's bugger out.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x x
B x x x x x, x
C x x x
D x
C/D x x
E

Ill get started on plan Bug then.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Graveyard

By the time you had made it down to the Hellhound, the locals had already cut off the Lictor’s head and put it on a pike. They seemed quite pleased with it, and named it Krieg, after the troopers who had killed it. You nodded at Erasmus. “We have to get going.” He grunted. “The invasion, right. You have a lot of wounded, you taking them with you?”

“Yeah.” You raised your voice. “Clear out the command vehicle, put the wounded there, and some docs. We’ll work on them on the way.” As your orders were responded to, he shrugged. “It’ll be rough going. Storm doesn’t like travellers.” You frowned. “I know. But we really can’t waste any more time. The deadline with Tyranids is quite literal.”

Erasmus nodded, reached into his belt. “The lads made this for you. Map of the surrounding thirty klicks or so. It’s not a map you’d print off from a satellite, this is eyes-on by the rangers. The terrain is marked with the date of the most recent sighting. We also took the liberty of outlining the best route for cover from the storm.”
You reached for it, more grateful than you could say. “...Thank you. And my offer is still open.”

He chuckled. “Right, when the ‘nids come pouring over the walls, you’ll be there.”

You settled into the vehicles, began advancing out of the gate. You were actually one of the lesser injured - lacerations on your chest, easily patched. The broken ribs had you concerned, but they hadn’t shown signs of internal bleeding or a pierced lung as of yet. You let the other docs know, just in case. One was a Nallani, the other was a Krieger. The other patients were stacked up on the floor of the command vehicle, pale skin revealed under greatcoats.

Lot of similar trauma. Lacerations, bone shrapnel. They never made a sound, though, and the Krieg doctor took to them with a brutality you found shocking. No anesthesia, minimal stitching. Your medical supplies were being stretched far more than you could have expected. The Nallani had started to speak up, but a glance from the Krieg doc had stopped that. You followed his (her?) lead.

Matthais was lead vehicle, and had you going down a complicated mosaic of trails and backtracks that the rangers had chosen for you. Many of them were alcoves you never would have noticed, and you were sure that the increased distance was still saving you time. You were able to avoid a lot of terrain that would have destroyed a wheel or truck-bed, and your hulls were hidden from much of the wind.

“Ma’am.” His voice reached over the comm.
You sat back, took off plastic gloves. “Hit me.”
“We’ve been following the route the rangers gave us. The map has a little note here that says ‘Graveyard’ and ‘You’ll want to see this.’ In different handwriting. I thought it might be a local shrine of some sort, but you should come look at it.”

You ordered your driver forward, and the HQ vehicle rumbled forward. Most of the trauma kits were done, anyway, and the Kriegers were sitting back and resting. As much as they could, anyway. You moved to the front of the vehicle, looked out the viewport. A small flat valley, seemingly neatened by dozer blades. And resting on them, row after row of Nallani Helicopter Gunships.

What do you do?

A. Investigate! This shall be an adventure!
B. Bypass it, its not important right now. But remember the location.
C. Take a long way around, this smells like a trap.
D. Can’t allow the enemy to take it. Destroy it.
E. Something Else

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B: We'll revisit if time allows after the primary objective is secured, but time isn't on our side right now. There is little reason to destroy it now that the war is shifting over to combat bioforms. A hive tyrant has little use for human equipment.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
B - We can't allow ourselves to be distracted.

Grouchy Fish
Aug 24, 2006
A

They're probably grounded by the storm. We should at least try to establish comms with these guys, when poo poo hits the fan in Gamma, maybe they can evac us.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
B

We can't wait for it to stop raining in order to look at these new toys.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Investigations! A.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Are holo projectors a thing?

If so, should we survive, can we fit servo skulls with holo projectors?

Then we can manifest 20m tall when we give orders. We can create holo camo for the servo skulls. We can create large illusions of forces and formations. We can paint targets with giant holograms. We can create images designed specifically to confuse, enrage, confound, terrify, etc. specific foe.

Is this theoretically possible?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

Are holo projectors a thing?

If so, should we survive, can we fit servo skulls with holo projectors?

Then we can manifest 20m tall when we give orders. We can create holo camo for the servo skulls. We can create large illusions of forces and formations. We can paint targets with giant holograms. We can create images designed specifically to confuse, enrage, confound, terrify, etc. specific foe.

Is this theoretically possible?

That seems pretty reasonable. The Court on Alpha Deck has a set up like that, although I haven't indicated a size of the projectors. You might need to miniaturize them later.

A x x
B x x x
C
D
E

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

If they say we'll want to see this, then we'll want to see this. A.

Best case scenario, it turns out we can salvage these things and will be able to get some air support or a quick evac if need be.

Come to think of it, Lowell, does the valley seem to protect the gunships from the razorstorms?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

LowellDND posted:

That seems pretty reasonable. The Court on Alpha Deck has a set up like that, although I haven't indicated a size of the projectors. You might need to miniaturize them later,.

And perhaps network them among our Servo Skull Fleet (SSF) so it can function as a distributed projector or more limited capacity from a single skull.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

If they say we'll want to see this, then we'll want to see this. A.

Best case scenario, it turns out we can salvage these things and will be able to get some air support or a quick evac if need be.

Come to think of it, Lowell, does the valley seem to protect the gunships from the razorstorms?

From the worst of it, yeah. Theres some debris snow and sleet, but its not the lethal stuff that you find higher up.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

There we go, then, seems like it won't take too long to divert. We should investigate! If it turns out that we need to get the hell out of dodge REALLY quickly with a swarm of Tyrannids on our tails, it'll be better to have these things prepped and ready to go instead of finding out that we need to fill all the gas tanks and repair the engines and so on under fire.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
How are we for fuel, do we need to make any repairs or patch anything up?

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

A. Investigate, but be cursory

Do we even have anyone who could fly one of these things?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

How are we for fuel, do we need to make any repairs or patch anything up?

Just general wear and tear. Making friends with the rangers helped a lot, you avoided a lot of my hazard table because of that map.

I wouldn't suggest trying driving all the way back to Bravo with your current fuel, but if you want to go exploring near Gamma, thats a thing.

Ideally, you could get the Kriegers more support than meatball surgery, but thats up to you.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
At a guess how much is the Graveyard worth? A lot? Nothing special?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

At a guess how much is the Graveyard worth? A lot? Nothing special?

For a Rogue Trader? A nice little appetizer.

For a normal person? Its an entire military depot of combat helicopters in (mostly) good condition. :D

Its not this scale, but this is the idea http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/309th_Aerospace_Maintenance_and_Regeneration_Group

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
What about tactical value to us as a fighting force, assuming they are not grounded by a storm?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I doubt they were using "Graveyard" in the context of "Aircraft Graveyard" which means this was probably a group of gunships that touched down to avoid the storm and was then promptly eaten.

We should avoid it and move on. Do we even have pilots if these turn out to be usable?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
B/E- Drop a radio beacon here on repeat. Once the storm clears up it can broadcast the location up to the Beast. Its only a minor amount of resources, but resources they are!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

What about tactical value to us as a fighting force, assuming they are not grounded by a storm?

To you, personally? You don't have pilots.

If you can find a few dozen (few hundred?) pilots, you'd have an Air Wing. Having Air Support is quite useful.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

B/E- Drop a radio beacon here on repeat. Once the storm clears up it can broadcast the location up to the Beast. Its only a minor amount of resources, but resources they are!

thats a clever idea

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Azhais posted:

I doubt they were using "Graveyard" in the context of "Aircraft Graveyard" which means this was probably a group of gunships that touched down to avoid the storm and was then promptly eaten.

On the other hand, they explicitly wrote in that we'll want to see this. And so far the glance we've had doesn't seem remarkably enlightening, which suggests they think it's safe to walk down and take a closer, tech-priesty look.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

The rangers were probably genestealer cultists and are luring us into a trap, it's all so clear now!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A Darker Porpoise posted:

The rangers were probably genestealer cultists and are luring us into a trap, it's all so clear now!

Who isn't a gene stealer on this world? :tinfoil:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Who isn't a gene stealer on this world? :tinfoil:

Wait.

Was Devries a genestealer?

Did we just personally invite a genestealer up onto our Hulk?

Goddamnit, the Lord-Sire is gonna be PISSED.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Wait.

Was Devries a genestealer?

Did we just personally invite a genestealer up onto our Hulk?

Goddamnit, the Lord-Sire is gonna be PISSED.

That would be a fun Arc, wouldn't it just :)

and he has been ever so hard to find...

Loel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Feb 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

You ain't taking my denim ya loving jeanstealer :argh:

Voting A