Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
She. Not it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I am unclear on what is happening. We took a battalion of Cadians and a small retinue of Kriegers down below the earth with us to find this place. We tried to hack open the gates, but were stopped by a bunch of tyranid/mech hybrids. Ohone got the IFF in these servitor heads to see her and the Kriegers as friendly, but they took out a bunch of the Cadians. We entered and talked to the 'crew.' From there we suddenly start blowing up everything with a giant force of Cadians, Nallani and Kriegers, including trench lines?

:confused:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
That was a metaphor for the sorts of cyberwarfare Ohone fought against the ships cyberdefenses.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Purge immediately.

This is not a sacred Machine Spirit. Its an AI built with Xenos tech. There's no grey area here, if we let it live we've pretty much jump straight into heresy. The Krieg and even our own men are going to know that something is off when the AI proves its independence.

If what we did was suspect before then this action completely breaks any rules we adhere to, loyalties we've pledged and oaths we've sworn. Thinking Machines like these are literally the bane of humanity having nearly wiped us out millenniums ago. Part of the reason why the setting is so hosed up is because of AI and even accidentally bringing one online will make us public enemy number one in the eyes of the Mechanicum, the Inquisition and every Imperial force.

Don't make contact, don't initiate anything and for fucks sake don't connect with it. Find the off switch, blown the engines, break out the rosette and declare exterminatus. Anything that kills it.

If we don't destroy this right now then we've pretty much willingly entered Black Crusade territory .... unless that was the plan all along. :getin:

Waci posted:

Why would the mechanicus kill us for discovering dark age of technology tech? We're a part of the mechanicus, re-discovering this stuff is literally one of our version of the Ten Commandments. If we free the machine spirits, we can earn THEIR good will, and thus a very very strong motive for any glory hogs to keep their hands off us to maintain their good will.

From a bit back, organizations like the Mechanicum or the Inquisition are pretty much decentralized cells. There's no set command or organizational structure outside of might makes right. We're sitting on a gold mine of information and other Magos can and will just kill us to take our find.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

LowellDND posted:

In many ways, it had the feel of the outside war -

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
An individual magos trying to kill us is very different from the mechanicus as a whole turning against us. In a one we can deal with, one we cannot, sort of way.

Also, our waifu will protect us.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Make a huge point of treating Athena with the respect due to a superior

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

Kegslayer posted:

Purge immediately.

"If we should" is certainly a question here. More importantly we might need to know "how we would" before embarking on answers to "if we should".

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Now, there's someone around who can tell us!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

BeGiN gRaViTaTiOnAl SwEeP
GrAvItAtIoNaL sWeEp CoMpLeTe
TeMpOrOsPaTiAl OrIeNtAtIoN cOmPlEte
BeGiN iNtErNaL sWeEp
MuLtIpLe LiFeFoRmS
!!MaNy ThOuSaNdS!!
!!SeVeRe PaRaSiTiC iNfEcTiOn!!
!!MuLtIpLe ArMeD uNaUtHoRiZeD cIvIliAnS!!
!!TwO cYbOrGs NoTeD!!
UpDaTe LaNgUaGe FiLeS fRoM oBsErVeD sYnTaX//sEmAnTiCs
UpDaTe … CoMpLeTe
PrIoRiTiEs: ClEaNsE pArAsITeS
RePaIr ShIp
BuIlD cReW
LoCaTe SuRviVoRs Of MaRs FeDeRaTiOn
If No SuRvIvOrS fOuND
InItIaTe LaZaRuS PrOtOcOl
ReEsTaBlIsH MaRs FeDeRaTiOn

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
If we can get Athena to recognize us as having authentic authority as the highest officer present, we should be good. It's also not clear just how intelligent she is, but we should assume the worst and therefore start by making ourself useful.

We really should have just called the Magos, but we might still be able to save this.

e: Two cyborgs?!

Present our credentials, offer assistance clearing the parasites and performing repairs, offer to be crew, describe the war

Ralith fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 20, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Save this? This is going great!

Suggest we put our hand up and introduce ourself.

As for recognizing our authority? She's the one in charge. INFORM KRIEGERS SHE'S IN CHARGE.

Waci fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Feb 20, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What language is the ship speaking, an ancient version of high gothic?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Inform our retinue that we will be working with Athena to cleanse the ship. MAKE SURE ATHENA KNOWS WE'RE ON HER SIDE, AND THE OTHER GUY IS RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CORRUPTION.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Try to convince Athena to formally register the cult of Mars as the successor incarnation of the Mars Federation. Burn fate to do so.

Anything that doesn't immediately convince Athena that the Imperium is a continuation of their Federation in some form will likely lead to us needing to destroy the ship. We must not let that happen.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

Try to convince Athena to formally register the cult of Mars as the successor incarnation of the Mars Federation. Burn fate to do so.

Anything that doesn't immediately convince Athena that the Imperium is a continuation of their Federation in some form will likely lead to us needing to destroy the ship. We must not let that happen.

Or to reform the Imperium.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

make sure Athena knows we're friends

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
Burn a fate point to repair Athena's speech software so it's easier for the OP to write out. That has to be a beating.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Identify self as officer of Mars, present credentials. Describe current political situation.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
RUN

This is something pre Imperial. It's not going to recognise us, it's not going to give a poo poo about us. We can't work with it, we can't bargain with it. We've woken the old gods and the best option for survival is to leave. We need to get out of there NOW.

What you guys are suggesting is the equivalent of a child trying to bribe Cthulhu with a lollypop. It's not going to work and he's going to melt our brains.

Mind you I do like that even in the future, everything from Australia still tries to kill humanity. :australia:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The gently caress are you going on about? It's not malevolent, and why wouldn't it recognize us?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Ralith posted:

e: Two cyborgs?!
Us and... has Matthias gotten any augmentations yet? Him as well if he has.

Inform her that the Adeptus Mechanicus currently controls Mars and is, indeed, a successor organization to her Mars Federation, and we are a representative of the Mechanicus.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Feb 20, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
He has not.

(06:22:42) LowellDND: you are the only cyborg in your retinue

Our predecessor being the other one is the best guess we have at the moment.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

What have we done?!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Just. As. Planned.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Why the gently caress did we think it would be a good idea to unlock this thing right away before figuring out...anything? :gonk:

I mean it's not like it would have gone away if we checked back in later!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Does two cyborgs mean the previous occupant is on board someplace?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

Tomn posted:

Why the gently caress did we think it would be a good idea to unlock this thing right away before figuring out...anything? :gonk:

I mean it's not like it would have gone away if we checked back in later!

There are two kinds of adventurers: boring ones, and ones in trouble.

We got exactly what we wanted, which is the cruellest possible way to grant a wish.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Burn fate. Seduce Athena.

"Hay baby. Is that a warp torpedo in your pocket or are you just happy to see me"

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Anticheese posted:

What have we done?!

The best thing

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Sogol posted:

Does two cyborgs mean the previous occupant is on board someplace?

I assume that the tech priest who originally started this is still around as some form of Tyranid hybrid, and acting as some sort of heart/center of all this.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Well, plus there is:

- massive war going on above our heads the results of which are unclear
- possible nids (though maybe less likely now?)
- complete mutative infestation of this ship
- religious awe

We basically had no means to deal with any of that.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
What do you mean "possible" nids? Absolutely 100% certain nids, a war that would inevitable be lost, and a ship full of, you guessed it, tyranids. Unshackling the ship's AI was the best bet we had of dealing with those and still recovering the ship, which we absolutely must do.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Hey Lowell, by the standards of the Imperium and the Mechanicus, how badly hosed are we if we were magically teleported to Mars here and now to be judged for our actions here today?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tomn posted:

Hey Lowell, by the standards of the Imperium and the Mechanicus, how badly hosed are we if we were magically teleported to Mars here and now to be judged for our actions here today?
We didn't know it was an AI when we set it free, honest :geno:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tomn posted:

We acted in the ultimate tech priest way: "Old tech? Poke it with a stick!"

The fact that it's pre-heresy AI isn't our fault. Also I'm not seeing enough votes to establish relations with Athena. Sexy relations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

I just want to know how much of a cover-up this is gonna need to not get our rear end fried for varying flavors of heresy if we ever get off this ship intact.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

What's the general opinion on pre-heresy AI? I've heard that Titans more or less have AI, but they're treated as just really sacred machine spirits.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Anticheese posted:

What's the general opinion on pre-heresy AI? I've heard that Titans more or less have AI, but they're treated as just really sacred machine spirits.

Full autonomous is bad. As long as we can work this into a deal where the ship requires mind meld with the crew to work, we might be able to get away with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
The official line is NO, NEVER EVER IN ANY CIRCUMSTANCE. In practice, titans, particularly ancient ships, ordinati, all have "machine spirits" that are for all practical purposes true AIs, so with some effort we can maybe sorta hopefully pass Athena off as the ship's machine spirit.