Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Yeah, we need to debrief him and by debrief I mean interrogate and record all non-xenos data, then denounce him as a Xeno Traitor to Kozilek.

Dear lord man, are you nuts?! The magos simply needs to join us for family movie nights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Dear lord man, are you nuts?! The magos simply needs to join us for family movie nights.

Family movie night is inefficient when utilized on a fellow Mechanicus. He simply would not fulfill the irony quota. No, we should raid his memory banks for all that sweet juicy research data. Make a copy, pass it off to the Beast's Magos, then ship this Nid lover off to cozy up to Kozilek

E: speaking of family movie night. I just had a horrible idea. What if we showed it to a Tyrannid? Since they're all synapses, this would broadcast family movie night to the entire swarm simultaenously.

e2: I can't emphasize just how much of a BAD idea this is. Clearly we should try it immediately. The idea of a swarm of Tyrannids saying "Love me" is hilarious/terrifying.

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 20, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Let's not mess with home movies again for a while. I like only being a little crazy.

I'm not sure about shipping this guy off to Kozilek, either. He might reveal the ship, and that would be risky.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
1, listen to the computer and offer it unfettered access to our databanks as well as our goal to restore the ship properly

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

PrIoRity NoTiCe.
LoCaL FoRcEs MaY aTtEmPt PlAnEtArY dEmOlItIoN
EsTiMaTe SuRviVaL wItH cUrReNT sHiElDs:
BeLoW 20%
EnAcT HyPeRsPaTiAl FoLd

As you exit the ship, a wall of sheer energy rises over the ship. Beyond color, it had the feel of some of the more esoteric stasis fields you’d seen during training. No one really knew what to do with them, beyond identify them. They stopped energy, stopped time, and seemed to step sideways from the universe itself. Beyond saying ‘this is a stasis field’, the Mechanicus had made no progress in looking behind it.

Looking into the cavern, you could see hundreds of dead Cadians splayed over broken vehicles. They hadn’t gone down alone, though - you saw the parts of at least four dead Hive Tyrants, torn to pieces by laser and mortar fire. Exiting another part of the ship, you saw what was presumably Cyborg Two. A Magos of tremendous size, five meters high and three across, grafted into the carapace of Tyranids.

She saw you, and began shrieking. “You! Do you have any idea what you’ve done? It took three years to secure that AI before we could even begun repairs! And now! You’ve locked! Us out!”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"Krigers open fire", then begin cyberwarfare attacks on the Magos to strip her memory banks

The sun shines on us all Icarus, except I weild the flame now, and you will only melt and fall.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I think we should act indignant towards the Magos - "I'm sorry, who are you and what were YOU doing on MY ship?"

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

Arkanomen posted:

"Krigers open fire", then begin cyberwarfare attacks on the Magos to strip her memory banks

The sun shines on us all Icarus, except I weild the flame now, and you will only melt and fall.

Stupid heretic hosed up our awesome ship, and now we can't have space adventures with our AI buddy.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"The ship tagged you Icarus, you know. Have you heard the myth? Nothing good comes from being referred to such. Whatever you tried to do, it didn't work. You flew too close to the sun. And you got burned. You aren't even human anymore. You're a filthy xeno, just more filth to be purged." Make a gesture for our retinue to open fire. As we move to cover, yell "preserve the head if possible, there's data I want to take off of it."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

I think we should act indignant towards the Magos - "I'm sorry, who are you and what were YOU doing on MY ship?"

Yes please. Also open fire on this gross mutant heretic

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
"You... Corrupter..."

"MEN! OPEN FIRE!"

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Arkanomen posted:

Kill the heretic!

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Plan Arkanomen

Ralith posted:

She comes from before that period. AIs likely only turned on humanity due to Chaos influence, same deal as the Horus Heresy. Realistically, she's no more a danger than any sentient in a position of power. We can help her stay safe.

Its true that Chaos could have played a part since any sentient being is susceptible to corruption but do we really want to take that chance?

She's an AI from the Dark Age of Technology and it was these AIs that eventually almost wiped out humanity. There's a good reason why no AIs is such a big deal in the Imperium.

I don't even think she even needs us since she can simply take what she wants. She's got our DNA now as well as access to biomass and cloning facilities and probably our memories.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Kegslayer posted:

Its true that Chaos could have played a part since any sentient being is susceptible to corruption but do we really want to take that chance?

She's an AI from the Dark Age of Technology and it was these AIs that eventually almost wiped out humanity. There's a good reason why no AIs is such a big deal in the Imperium.
Of course we want to take that chance! As many others have pointed out, similar software is used across the Imperium, and more dangerous tools besides. Chances are she could be the catalyst for a major rally of mankind's forces!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

my dad posted:

"You... Corrupter..."

"MEN! OPEN FIRE!"

This

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Kegslayer posted:

I don't even think she even needs us since she can simply take what she wants. She's got our DNA now as well as access to biomass and cloning facilities and probably our memories.
She... probably doesn't have access to our memories.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Yup, time for Icarus to feel the heat of the sun.

Prometheus:
Steals fire from the Gods, concealed in a fennel stalk the way sailors carry it on ships, and gives it to man. Upon doing so several things happen. First men are given self awareness which also takes the form of being given all the arts and sciences. At the same time they become aware of their Doom, e.g. Mortality. It's a mixed bag. Thirdly the Gods get truly pissed with Prometheus and chain him to a cliff at the edge of the world and Zeus's Eagles come every day and eat his liver, which regenerates by the next day so they can do it again. Of course Prometheus is also the God of foreknowledge, so he presumably knows all this is going to happen and steals the fire anyway.

Icarus:
Builds wings. Flies to close to the sun. The wax melts. Bad things happen.

The upside of the tags is that they may indicate that Athena has accepted our offer of a future relationship with us while indicating that he had overreached.

Imagine a pie graph. It has three categories: Family, Tech-Priest, Inquisition. How you feel Ohone makes decisions depends on how you fill out that graph with respect to any particular circumstance. Of course there are all sorts of divisions within the graph having to do with relationships to Xeno and such so it is a blunt instrument.

If we weighted it heavily toward family we would relate to Athena one way. If we weighted it heavily toward the Inquisition another set of options would likely arise. Personally I feel that when we encountered Olympus, even before we met Athena, that it would have tipped the balance very heavily toward Tech-Priest in that moment at least. We might recover from that and create a different balance, but not in the moment. This is just my interpretation (and I know nothing about 40k).

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Burn the heretek! Only fire may cleanse this abomination

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know we don't just have the Kriegers with us.

All units, open fire.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Suffer not the Xeno to live

You were torn between seething hatred and smug condescension. A Magos, with a find like that, and she turned herself into an abomination. Her innate humanity wasn’t good enough to meet her goals, nor was her True Form of steel and silicon. Instead, she wore the skins of xenos like some sort of barbarian, unaware of the truths that could have awaited her.

"The ship tagged you Icarus, you know.” She stopped, stared at you with hateful eyes. “Have you heard the myth? Nothing good comes from being referred to such. Whatever you tried to do, it didn't work. You flew too close to the sun. And you got burned. You aren't even human anymore. You're a filthy xeno, just more filth to be purged.” You gestured, and your vehicles began moving to surround her in a half circle, machine guns and las cannons blasting, raking the ground about her with grenades. You hastily spoke to your vox. “Preserve the head!”

She grunted like some hog, the mass fire bouncing off her personal shields and layers of chitin. “Prometheus lost his liver, child. I think I’ll take yours.” She waved imperiously, and a spear of binary leapt from her lips. You darted at it with blades, but it was too fast, too strong. Angelika was tremendously powerful, even if she was weak for the potential of what she had.

Behind you, the sudden whirring of servomotors. She began laughing, a bestial sound, and you hesitated to look. Your retinue slowed their fire as they stared in shock. One of the Hive-Tyrants was moving, standing up. It was dead, with great holes through its body, but the metal inside forced it up. Insane Machine-Spirits looked out of its eyes.

And it hungered.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
One word: 'Kill.'

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Look at the rising Hive Tyrant. Considering that its biological parts are dead, the only thing remaining is the modified murder servitor. Even if we aren't familiar with the modifications the Magos made in order to fuse the two together, could we still analyze the best way to take it down and transmit that information to the troops?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

JT Jag posted:

Look at the rising Hive Tyrant. Considering that its biological parts are dead, the only thing remaining is the modified murder servitor. Even if we aren't familiar with the modifications the Magos made in order to fuse the two together, could we still analyze the best way to take it down and transmit that information to the troops?

Or, we could duel the Hive Tyrant ourselves while telling our troops to continue shooting the damnable Heretek!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Or, we could duel the Hive Tyrant ourselves while telling our troops to continue shooting the damnable Heretek!
We need to stay on the Magos. Her skills outclass us, but we can still try to contain them if we pay attention to her. If we focus on the Hive Tyrant, who knows what she'll get up to?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Sing the binary song of the Machine God. We have to put those machine spirits down for their own good, but that doesn't mean we can't show them our love. They have served dutifully and faithfully, and the atrocities they have to suffer due to this... Corruptor's actions are not their fault.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Even the strongest, secure systems can still fail to a DDOS attack. Overwhelm the Magos with stupid information! Flood her network systems with inanity and get her distracted!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Even the strongest, secure systems can still fail to a DDOS attack. Overwhelm the Magos with stupid information! Flood her network systems with inanity and get her distracted!

Ah, the Enkidel approach.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

HiHo ChiRho posted:

truly, in the grim darkness of the far future, there is only WHYDONTIPOOPWHYDONTIPOOPWHYDONTIPOOP

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
disable the Magos by hitting her with one of the trucks. Should be enough to make her faulter and shooting at point blank will either damage or occupy her long enough for Ohone to redirect the machine spirits. Insane or not they still recognize friend or foe. In their enraged state basic subroutines will be exposed. Convincing one servitor that the other is a major threat should be sinple enough, just feed it a massive spike of data to mislead it. We then pull our men behind the Magos so we aren't being attacked on two fronts then focus fire on the pinned Magos.

Additionally send a spike of information to the ship if it can hear us about how Icarus is proving hostile and to watch out for internal Sabotauge attacks from its followers, the parasite.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I also think that we should shoot the magos with the sniper rifle

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Shoot the Magos with the sniper rifle, and do everything else to take it down, try to take over the machine spirits of the undead hive-tyrants

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Commit the Kreigers to the most effective suicide tactics that we can think of

We're gonna have to get rid of them sooner or later, might as well let them go out with a bang

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Haystack posted:

We're gonna have to get rid of them sooner or later, might as well let them go out with a bang
As much as I like the Kriegers, we probably do have to get this batch of them killed. They like us, but I doubt they are going to stay quiet about this.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

JT Jag posted:

As much as I like the Kriegers, we probably do have to get this batch of them killed. They like us, but I doubt they are going to stay quiet about this.

That's a good point. We can trust the rest of our troops.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Haystack posted:

+1

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Shoot the magos with the sniper rifle, spend a fate point

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

It's a bad idea to use the sniper rifle this close, on an enemy aware of our presence. Too much could go wrong. The 9 remaining bullets are for the purpose of hitting something unsuspecting that needs to be hit a kilometer away, not as some blunt instrument.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
No sniper rifle, yes suicide Kriegers

It's what they want, anyway.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Whatever it takes. I am sure the Kriegers would be okay with losing their life to take down such an abomination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.
Our skills will provide us with a kill!