Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Blessed be the machine spirits that watch over all.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

MaliciousOnion posted:

D

It's funny how the most feared space pirate in the sector can end up being the founder of an entirely legal trading dynasty (for a given value of legal).

Looks like we are getting a consensus.

b x x x x x x
d x x x x x x x x x x x
e: (bca) x

And, yes, Ching Shih, the founder of our dynasty, was also one of the most badass pirates in the China sea. 40 XP!

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Voting B

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B "*Know* that flesh cannot mark steel. *Know* that steel may mark flesh. In *knowing* this, The Acolyte has become free."

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

B "*Know* that flesh cannot mark steel. *Know* that steel may mark flesh. In *knowing* this, The Acolyte has become free."

Can I say just how much I love Dakkon :3:

I was thinking I would close the votes a couple hours ago, but this come-from-behind potential win intrigues me.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
B.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
B

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder what B+D would end up being like.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is there any reason we can't watch the crowds from behind a newspaper while consulting the machine spirits?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Is there any reason we can't watch the crowds from behind a newspaper while consulting the machine spirits?

I was picturing both as taking a couple hours, one behind a newspaper, the other meshed and buried into a pile of wires in one of the panels. With a thousand faces going through the gate from Shallows to Deeps, it takes time to review.

b x x x x x x x x x x
d x x x x x x x x x x x
e: (bca) x

I've written my outline for B and D, although not the combination. Given the poll numbers, I may need to manage a tie, somehow.

edit: Maybe run the wires from your head into the panel behind you, while reading said newspaper? I think it'd give a penalty to awareness, but you'd be getting both options at once.

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Sep 19, 2014

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Obviously you read the newspaper via pict feed from a camera sitting behind somebody ELSE who is reading a paper.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

FireSight posted:

Obviously you read the newspaper via pict feed from a camera sitting behind somebody ELSE who is reading a paper.

Yeah, I can work with that.

B and D win! Ill start writing sometime tonite hopefully.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Our voting is completely indecisive, just how a cyoa should be.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Outrail posted:

Our voting is completely indecisive, just how a cyoa should be.

drat skippy, :roboluv: avatar buddy.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I like to think it just means I’m getting the hang of designing the choices ;)

Ace Attorney

The hymn of the Ten Thousand echoed through the corridors of the Shallows. It was one of the most common Hymns of Praise to the God-Emperor, commemorating his victory over the Great Betrayer, Horus. Unsurprisingly, it had ten thousand verses, and was a ceremony that required weeks of effort. Hundreds, perhaps more, of pilgrims were singing it near you, with individual pilgrims falling out and joining the eternal song. A major part of pilgrimage, it would likely be sung the entire journey through the Warp to the next system.

Mixing into the hymn without care or concern were individual rituals and hymns, voice or flutes or small drums. Here and there, balisets worked their strange accompaniment. The pilgrims took no notice - many of them were focused on their individual acts of praise, or if not, were well used to it. Conversations took place quietly, beneath the songs, or between breaths. It had the look of something the pilgrims were well used to.

The Shallows, unlike the Deeps, had a largely transient population. The Deeps might have families for generations - you didn’t even need to leave that area of the ship if you really wanted. The Shallows, on the other hand, shifted five or ten or fifteen thousand people every arrival at a world, connected only by the paths of the pilgrimage. The only regulars who stayed in the Shallows were people selling to the pilgrims, often at extortionate prices.

Planet dwellers weren’t the most educated about being aboard ship.

What this meant, however, is that kilotons of rubbish collected in the periphery of all the shrines and hostels, lost or forgotten or mislaid objects of this or that. There was a small contingent aboard ship who were always going through them piles, hoping that they might hit it big, but as a rule the objects were trash barely worth the effort. Unless you knew what you were looking for, and had been told where it was.

Which led you to a small sealed container buried under some empty oxygen tanks, well behind the central corridors that fed the Shallows. You didn’t know the Acolyte who placed it there, and perhaps never would, but your Inquisitor had said to look there and here it was. Analyzing the mechanisms briefly, you console the Machine-Spirit with the codes that you were given. And just like that, it was open.

Three grenades, and eight shotgun shells. No shotgun, perhaps you could acquire one later, but the grenades would likely come in handy when dealing with cultists. Meanwhile… ah.

Various sections of the Beast of Trall Traal had pressure seals and blast doors, meant to compartmentalize a breach. None of them were Between; they were all in the interior of the ships that composed the space hulk, and not all of them were functional anymore. The ones that divided the Grateful Burden hadn’t been used in centuries, and if they ever were, a thousand makeshift homes, and the railway that split them, would be crushed under the pressure of massive blast doors. One of them, that divided the Shallows and the Deeps, was near you, and it’s Machine Spirit was helpfully active.

This wasn’t the best place to access it though. Looking over the terrain, you see a way to climb several stories, into an old shrine that overlooked the Shallows. From there, it was easy to connect to the sealing Machine Spirit. Furthermore, traffic there was slow, and no one would notice one “sleeping pilgrim child” nestled in a corner of the room. Tendrils extend from your wrist, plugging into the wall socket, and you are in.

Ancient as it was, the translation to it’s Holy Binary alone took time, but you began working your way through its databanks. Although eager to help, it often seemed unsure of what you were asking for, giving pressure readings, atmospheric contents, time graphs on closing, and other minutae related to it’s day to day life. As you tried requesting the last twelve hours of visual recordings, it was at least able to offer the live feed, which went up on your HUD.

… Which was mostly filled with a newspaper that someone was reading. Very well, Omnissiah wanted you to learn about what is going on aboard ship. Gives you something to do while you try to explain to the Machine Spirit that you don’t need the last century of readiness reports it had copied to the bridge, where they had been received and most likely left unread.

Big news on the current page was the new batch of pilgrims. They were apparently from an Agri-Shrine world, dedicated to providing food and worshippers to the Imperium. Lord-Sire had apparently bought a megaton of food supplies to sell at the next port, and wasn’t above diverting some to domestic use. One nice thing about living in the Deeps was a new world’s food arrived nearly every month, and there were hundreds of restaurants that took advantage of it. The cuisine was unpredictable, and recipes often lacking, but the Deeps were nothing but adaptable.

Lord-Sire actually made quite a bit of money supplying the dregs. You see, he only paid the troops aboard ship - some two divisions of soldiers layered beneath the hull. They, of course, were only too eager to spend it, and the economy of the Deeps functioned at the most basic level to providing services to the Lord-Sire’s armies. This might be selling them food, offering them recreation, entertainment, or a thousand other things, but in the end, it all came from the soldiers’ money circulating.

The final part of the triangle - when the money worked it’s way back to Lord-Sire - was when he sold the necessities of life to people. This might be the hundred million liters of water that were pumped through pipes everyday, the vast amounts of verdigris cylant slurry that went to people who could afford nothing better to eat, the newspapers that were the social life of the ship, or the various rituals, ceremonies, births and funerals that were required of any faithful citizen. It was a rare day when Lord-Sire only broke even.

One item of contention with this particular batch of pilgrims was that they weren’t really clear on the Omnissiah. For whatever reason, they found the True Self bizarre and repulsive, if not outright heretical, and there were many arguments between factions of pilgrims who accepted the dual aspect of the God-Emperor, and those who thought any such dedication to metal was obscene. You rather hoped they didn’t come into this room; explaining your plug into the wall might be difficult.

Meanwhile, the internal politics of the Deeps had taken a turn for the worse; apparently recent explosions had shattered a fragile truce, and the Basilisks were pushing hard on the Hellhounds, having seized two decks and many vital supplies, personnel, and living space. The Hydras, meanwhile, were trying to reestablish the truce, or at least use it to their advantage, but the body count was in the hundreds, with no end in sight.

Finally, last page of the newspaper, sport and competitions. Big events appear to be cockfighting, knife fighting, and darts - more violent then you remember when you left. The competitions between Purple and Orange were as incomprehensible as ever, even with it was a full page dedicated to the most recent plays, but apparently Orange was doing well.

The newspaper was placed on the deck, allowing you to get a better picture of things. Running down the street were the Allegorian Mark 4 Series of Tubes, Pnuematic. They were used for delivering messages across the ship when the sender coudn’t afford vox or servitor skull. They, too, required a small fee that went to the Lord-Sire, and the sounds of message travel would be overwhelming if not for all the hymns and chanting.

The HUD sends a small flag of warning to you - an oddity at the pressure seal. Examining the data, you note a dozen or so priests in hastily fixed robes. The Machine-Spirit mentions that the chemical tasters report they have human blood on them, and you tell it to make a note of them. Perhaps they are simply flagellants, in which case they might be found at the next pressure seal. Or perhaps they are the cultists you are looking for. A fluorescent cat watches them from the shadows, and hisses.

That was another thing that separated classes along the Grateful Burden; what kind of light source you had. The poorest families used the cats for light, or at most for company. Most families used hydrocarbon fuel, collected from nebulas the Beast of Trall Traal travelled through. The highest classes, rulers of the gangs or the best sport players, used oil from a space whale that had crashed into the ship some decades ago, and it was generally agreed this provided the best light.

Parallel to this, you receive a second pop-up. One from the archives, showing a merchant of some sort, selling relics and memorabilia and sacred objects. Perhaps nothing - there are many such people, working their way through the pilgrims - but this one did so in such away that blocked half the camera, and nearly concealed a vent in the upper wall behind him, some eight stories up. You can observe a figure in the vent, wearing white robes and gloves, looking into the Shallows, before pushing themselves backwards, and wriggling back into the darkness. After they are hidden, the merchant moves on. Perhaps they were working together?

The live feed comes forward again, showing servitors and their handlers going through the pressure seal. They are given a lot of hostile looks by the new pilgrims, but the flagellant chains provide them a wide berth, until they too head into the Deeps. They move differently from servitor models you are familiar with, which could be suspicious on it’s own. Following them shortly behind, a supply train of dozens of containers on wheels. It could easily hold a hundred heretics, but you’ve seen such things usually delivering delicacies to the bars and restaurants. Still, what better place to hide, except a delivery service?

The last significant event of the archives shows a wild knife fight between sects of religious groups, with multiple injuries. The recording doesn’t provide sound, so the reason for the altercation is unclear, but one group leaves with haste. The other appears to have dominated the street thoroughly. You’ve heard such violence is a sign of the Great Enemy. Perhaps an hour later, you observe a further altercation on the live feed, near the seal; men and women in purple or gold using blunt weapons on each other and screaming. Perhaps it is they who are connected.

Which suspicious person/group do you investigate?

Oh god Im turning into David Weber

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Investigating Purple and Orange/Gold sounds prudent reminds me of a Drazi political debate, pointless and in need of resolve.

Your writing reminds me of https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6285772/1/The-Circle-Must-be-Broken which is a pretty good fan fluff piece.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Sep 20, 2014

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

Investigating Purple and Orange sounds prudent reminds me of a Drazi political debate, pointless and in need of resolve.

Your writing reminds me of https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6285772/1/The-Circle-Must-be-Broken which is a pretty good fan fluff piece.

You are right, this author does do a lot of the same info dumps I do. I'm 2 chapters in and already getting ideas.

I just finished a War40k/Trek crossover, which was a good bit of fun. https://www.fanfiction.net/s/2370566/1/ Elsewhen and elsewhere.

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Sep 20, 2014

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
Investigate the relic merchant. No good ever comes from travelling peddlers.

Of course, this is our secondary mission. Primary mission is to obtain a fluorescent cat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Hmmm...hastily affixed robes, human blood, cats don't like them? Oh yeah, check out the dozen suspicious "priests".

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Purple and gold robes fighting each-other sounds like rowdy Purple and Orange fans having a good time. It's like the good old Roman horse racing teams. Which might mean chaos, I guess, but I'd rather investigate the extremely suspicious priests.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'm conflicted but let's investigate the priests, shouldn't take long.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
I'd keep an eye out for baliset plsyers; maybe we can find Gurney Halleck to help us.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Investigate those "Servitors". It's likely to be more than it seems, and they were probably counting on no one knowing the difference.

LowellDND posted:

Oh god Im turning into David Weber

I actually really enjoy your detailed writing. You do a great job, and this is quickly turning into my favorite CYOA!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Purple and gold robes fighting each-other sounds like rowdy Purple and Orange fans having a good time. It's like the good old Roman horse racing teams. Which might mean chaos, I guess, but I'd rather investigate the extremely suspicious priests.

Rockopolis posted:

I'd keep an eye out for baliset plsyers; maybe we can find Gurney Halleck to help us.

Excellent, yes. Ancient Rome and Dune. 40XP for each

Volmarias posted:

I actually really enjoy your detailed writing. You do a great job, and this is quickly turning into my favorite CYOA!

Thank you :3: I like doing all the world building, so sometimes I just want to spam a page talking about it :D

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Can I suggest using our XP on inquiry and tracking, or do we have to wait till the end of session for that?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

my dad posted:

Can I suggest using our XP on inquiry and tracking, or do we have to wait till the end of session for that?

I'm open to it. What say ye thread?

1) Spend XP right now on Inquiry and Tracking, we need it to find the heretics. x
2) Hold off on spending till the end of the session, we might need something else more.

And the investigations are still anybody's game.

Investigate
A) Purple/Orange x
B) Relic Merchant x
C) Priests x x
D) Servitors x
E) Something Else

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Sep 21, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
1) Buy Inquiry now.
C, priests are suspicious.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waci posted:

1) Buy Inquiry now.

MaliciousOnion posted:

obtain a fluorescent cat.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
1, b It's clear that the relic priest was trying to block the camera. So, there's obviously a crime going on with him. Not to mention, the merchant probably isn't a fighter, he'll probably give up his accomplices if we apply a little force.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

1 - Inquiry and Tracking now!
D - Servitors!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Waci posted:

1) Buy Inquiry now.

This and get a fluro cat. If nothing else it may help us find more priests and I'm sure our robomutt will love a new friend. Can we turn the cat into a servitor?

Anticheese posted:

drat skippy, :roboluv: avatar buddy.

Sup bro! :roboluv:
On that note, what's the 40k/imperial stance on robofucking?

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Sep 21, 2014

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
As long as the technology used isn't in itself heretical, it's all good.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Yep, lets go ahead and spend that XP but also follow up on Orange/Purple. Those peoples seem too... heretical to me. Worshiping colours like this? :commissar:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Spend XP -use it or lose it!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah buying Inquiry would be a good idea seeing as how we are, you know, an Inquisitor.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Investigate
A) Purple/Orange x x
B) Relic Merchant x x
C) Priests x x x x x
D) Servitors x x
E) Something Else

1) Inquiry and Track x x x x x x x x x x
2) Save for later

Get Flouro Cat
Yes x x x
No

Looks like spend XP is largely unanimous, so Ill go ahead and update the character sheet. Beyond that, Priests have a strong lead, with a 3 way tie on Purple/Orange, Relic Merchant, and Servitors. I don't think anyone will be opposed to the Flouro Cat either.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
B The merchant is indeed suspicious.

As per the others, I'm cool with the XP choice and sure, glowy cat.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

Investigating Purple and Orange/Gold sounds prudent reminds me of a Drazi political debate, pointless and in need of resolve.

Took all weekend, but I finished it. Quick thoughts:

highlights: world building was splendid, I have many new ideas for the ship. I loved the meshing of 3rd space and the warp. the introduction of the elder were superb. watching bester and the inquisitor accuse each other of being rogue psykers was hilarious. the reporter in the war zone was awesome, and watching the priest talk to the general was perfect. also, holy poo poo, the guardians fulfilling their purpose in ch 21.

lowlights: a lot of unnecessary :biotruths:, a derailment of good female characters (ivannova spent most of her time being damseled, flabbergasted, or chided), and overall the gender relations felt like I was reading Robert Jordan.

in return for a fic that occupied me most the weekend, I offer http://www.b5-dark-mirror.co.uk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

B, because selling unlicensed relics is a punishable offense, giving us leverage against the man to get more information. We need to pick up Intimidate at some point later.

Get Flouro Cat