Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

RandomPauI posted:

Lets do this while we scan everything

If you think we're gonna hug Amacita without first making sure she's not rigged to explode and maybe also a clone, you're crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Don't forget to have inane polite social chatter while we sip tea and simultaneously crack everything mechanical in a 1 klick radius

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Omnissiah Christ you guys, we have an optical mechadendrite and an explorator mechdendrite. We are literally the most powerful auspex unit in the room with 360 degree visual coverage. We have DNA sniffers, chemicals analysis tasters, and even a dowsing rod just in case. Nothing can hide from us.

Plus, oh yeah, we can wirelessly hack things and thanks to brain upgrades we're even better at it than before.

Remotely turn off the holo unit and start scanning everything. All while looking calm and collected and in control.

I wrote this when I was just aware of the skull plan, so... have a skull scout!

Dana Skully

Of all your observations, those heat differentials bothered you the most. One hundreds of degrees hot, the other barely above zero, and both of them hidden behind a holofield. The younger version of you considered various options - candles and ice sculptures, oven and chilling station, but you knew what it was. Someone was readying an ambush, even if you weren’t sure whether it was Devries, Lord-Sire, the Magos, Kozilek, or someone new entirely. You had too many enemies, and not enough time.

Your skulls were floating about in macabre waltz, chanting their hymns and cackling wildly. Before you approached the Captain’s Throne, and your Lord-Sire (and explained how this wasn’t a coup, really), you wanted to find out what their ace in the hole was. You muted one of your skulls, Dana, your first, and sent her spiraling into the distance. She followed an unpredictable pattern, and detached from the swarm of skulls without being noticed.

You popped Dana through the holofield, just enough to see what was on the other side.

On the left most: A Sister of Battle, in full armor, wreathed in pyrotechnic energy.

On the right most: A box of iron, inlaid with runes. They were covered in hoarfrost, and it floated off the ground. Chained to the box, one per side, were four barely alive emaciated figures, with haunted faces.

In the center: four Stormtroopers, in the highest quality gear. They stood around a man who looked horrifically burned, skin waxen and yellow, with capped teeth smiling through the holes in his cheeks.

They meet the gaze of the skull, and through it, you.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I.... what?

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Nothing in this world can take the place of a power rack
I close the box

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

I.... what?

Don't look behind the veil if you don't want to see whats there :colbert:

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Hm... entertainment for the wedding is an impromptu game show featuring the Monty Hall problem.

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Can we roll every lore check to try to figure out what the hell?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Brownview posted:

This is apparently happening, yes.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I'm guess the Lord-Sire brought these guys in, in case we try anything. He's ready for us to attempt a coup. This is the insurance.

The problem is that we've been made, and if we go grovelling to the Lord-Sire now he won't know if it's authentic or because we know about his trump card

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Brownview posted:

Yup, just checked. I don't think you have the relevant lores.

That's definitely 100% Sister of Battle armor though. You aren't sure what world the Stormtroopers are from, but they are definitely Stormtroopers.

Mr Apollo
Jan 1, 2013
Use the servoskull to ask if they want any ouer d'oeuvres.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Is that battle sister in Canonness armor?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Mr Apollo posted:

This! Do nothing!

Everyone expects us to run a coup. Everyone expects us to do something stupid. Do nothing. Continue the party as planned but don't do anything that looks like we're planning on doing anything but make weird tech priestly jokes and torment our cat with hats. Let all this slide and people will think we were sending a message but won't have mch of an idea as to what the message is.

We're on thin ice here. The Lord Sire probably thinks we offed Limosa. Lets just cool our heels.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Is that battle sister in Canonness armor?

Not entirely sure what that is. Sister Power Armor?

edit: Okay, looks like Canonnesseses are super Sisters and Regimental Commanders.

So, no. She is not a regimental commander.

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Feb 24, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Keep calm until we know more. And stay unfailingly polite.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Have the Skull nod, maybe wink if its capable and NOT DO ANYTHING THREATENING

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Order the Skull to just simply nod, and back away slowly and then go about the party like the lovely charade that it is and make no sudden movements.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LowellDND posted:

Not entirely sure what that is. Sister Power Armor?

Sisters are already in power armor.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
So uh, this is complicated. It's not the worst it could be, but it's certainly not good. This is an inquisitorial retinue, the sister tells us that almost beyond a shadow of a doubt. Like each and every one of these is our equal or better. To elaborate, let's go down the list in order:
  • The sister of Battle is like a small space marine with the power to produce actual miracles.
  • The Box: Obvious hardcore psyker, possibly Mother?
  • The troopers guarding a crone: Strongly suspect a Daemonhost, very bad news.

The good news is we're on the same team, yay! The bad news is they might just execute us for stumbling onto this. Much as I hate to do it we need to out ourselves here. Communicate our status as an interrogator of the inquisition. Follow whatever instructions they give.

To be clear, do not name Kozilek and most certainly don't do this in any way that could be heard outside the room.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Omnissiah Christ you guys, we have an optical mechadendrite and an explorator mechdendrite. We are literally the most powerful auspex unit in the room with 360 degree visual coverage. We have DNA sniffers, chemicals analysis tasters, and even a dowsing rod just in case. Nothing can hide from us.

Plus, oh yeah, we can wirelessly hack things and thanks to brain upgrades we're even better at it than before.

Remotely turn off the holo unit and start scanning everything. All while looking calm and collected and in control.

This was from prior to skull post, do you still want to do any of this? You've hacked a lot of the room already.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

This was from prior to skull post, do you still want to do any of this? You've hacked a lot of the room already.
We do not want to turn off that holo unit.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tran posted:

So uh, this is complicated. It's not the worst it could be, but it's certainly not good. This is an inquisitorial retinue, the sister tells us that almost beyond a shadow of a doubt. Like each and every one of these is our equal or better. To elaborate, let's go down the list in order:
  • The sister of Battle is like a small space marine with the power to produce actual miracles.

The good news is we're on the same team, yay! The bad news is they might just execute us for stumbling onto this. Much as I hate to do it we need to out ourselves here. Communicate our status as an interrogator of the inquisition. Follow whatever instructions they give.

To be clear, do not name Kozilek and most certainly don't do this in any way that could be heard outside the room.

Sounds reasonable.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Ask through the skull if they are with the bride or the groom. No matter the response, have the bow tie spin and the skull make WOOP WOOP WOOP noises as it exits

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Ask through the skull if they are with the bride or the groom. No matter the response, have the bow tie spin and the skull make WOOP WOOP WOOP noises as it exits

Do this after

Tran posted:

We do this.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

HiHo ChiRho posted:

yes

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Also though it should go without saying, do not turn off that holofield if we want anyone in the room to live.

White Noise Marine
Apr 14, 2010

HiHo ChiRho posted:

This!

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
It's Limosa's handler.

I wonder if we can sick him on Amacita's artifact and DeVries (though he is here for us.)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
And to think, some people were mocking the lore skills.

I think it is some kind of law of RPGs that whatever lore skill you'll need will inevitably be the one you held off on buying.

:10bux: Says this is the Inquisitorial Retinue of whoever Limosa worked for.

Edit: gently caress YOU SOGOL

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Is an Interrogator dying a big deal to the people they work for usually? How far up or down the food chain are they?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

paragon1 posted:

Is an Interrogator dying a big deal to the people they work for usually? How far up or down the food chain are they?

An interrogator is the apprentice of an inquisitor. So yeah, usually a big deal.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

paragon1 posted:

It's a reasonably notable deal. Throne Agents are expendable. Interrogators are the first level of leadership position, and lead teams of their own, they're the training role for future Inquisitors in their own right.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
E: Goddammit

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Outrail posted:

I think that's even odds. Now the question is Limosa's team here to avenge his death or make sure no one has figured out they are the ones who snuffed him?

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

paragon1 posted:

And to think, some people were mocking the lore skills.

I think it is some kind of law of RPGs that whatever lore skill you'll need will inevitably be the one you held off on buying.

:10bux: Says this is the Inquisitorial Retinue of whoever Limosa worked for.

Edit: gently caress YOU SOGOL

:shepspends:

Brownview
Oct 15, 2012

Oh huh, yeah, they're probably following up on Limosa's death. I guess we back away slowly and go about our business.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
I have a theory. Holographic projectors probably work additively--they create light in certain patterns, but don't actually obscure what's already there.

Subtract the imagery being projected (obtained from the hacked projectors) from our field of vision/skull camera feeds/etc. If my theory is accurate, this should allow us to keep an eye on those guys and any other surprises without being obtrusive. We might even make a habit of doing so routinely. Shame I didn't think of it before we'd sent a skull.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Mr Apollo posted:

Voting for this. We don't know where these guys lie. Limosa consorted and befriended Eldar so these guys probably don't follow all the rules in the book.

I don't think we should announce ourselves as an Interrogator just yet. For all we know these guys are not here for us and are after someone else. All eyes on the box though. I don't think its a psyker since Limosa filled that role in the retinue.

I think its a goddamn daemon host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ceramic Shot
Dec 21, 2006

The stars aren't in the right places.
Just wanted to say this has been a really excellent CYOA. Also want to vote:

Mr Apollo posted:

...or some more appropriate variant that Ohone can use to back off casually with nary as much as a knowing wink from the servo-skull.

Wu Wei and 40k rhyme but don't usually mix well. This is one of the exceptions I guess. Also X2 don't announce ourselves as an interrogator yet. Stay cool but sharp, keep circulating with the guests.