Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E- "Cogitators? May I gain access to these cogitators? It would surely help me create my defense if I had more processing power and information at my disposal. It would help the Inquisition, too, if during this process I can see if my Inquisitor- or Siadwell- is too dangerous or heretical to be kept."

Get some databanks. Search for hidden information. Look smug during our trial. :smaug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Can you talk to me about the factions in play at the conclave? I understand Siadwell's leanings but do anyone besides the Xanthians have a particular agenda here?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Comedy option, why doesn't Einkindel poop?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
B and C next.

Basscop
Jun 4, 2010

Lightnin? HA! Thats a good 'un!
Now why dontcha
come o'er here and
GET

IN

MY

BELLY!!!

RandomPauI posted:

Comedy option, why doesn't Einkindel poop?

Only one N in that name.
I made the same mistake for 2 years +

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

VanSandman posted:

Devries, let us murder horribly. Limosa, let us blackmail. It is my belief that there are multiple agents of the Inquisition at play in our own dynasty, and that our Inquisitor may be using us to take out the agent of another - Limosa. The last thing we want is to get caught in a war between two inquisitors. That's how minds and dynasties are broken.

WHO loving CALLED IT, by the way.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

VanSandman posted:

:allears:

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

VanSandman posted:

... or, oh Hubristic one, who created it. GMs are sneaky.

I think B next. Also, E: How the hell do you pronounce "=][="?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

"Ey what are ya some kinda wise guy?"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ghostwoods posted:

I was thinking just 'I', with the symbol there so we all know what he means.

also, its fun to type :v:

edit: Although its equally funny to picture a room of people talking about 'equals close bracket open bracket equals'

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Ghostwoods posted:

You understand this is only going to lead me to create ever wilder conspiracy theories, right?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

You understand this is only going to lead me to create ever wilder conspiracy theories, right?

And I will steal my favorites and call it foreshadowing, in the tradition of my people :D

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

LowellDND posted:

Although its equally funny to picture a room of people talking about 'equals close bracket open bracket equals'

Honestly, I kinda half-suspected there was some sort of established pronunciation for it -- "The Burning Eye", or "Schwaaa", or something. I'm not particularly expert in the ways of W40k. But 'I' works :)

Fake-Edit: Hm... On second thoughts, taking the ordinal letter from each word according to its position in 'equals close bracket open bracket equals' gives you ELANKS. I think that's my new head-canon for pronunciation.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

What else do you want to know?

"Can you tell me which inquisitors are present on the conclave now, besides siadwell? I'd imagine there's a tribunal for my trial."

Real agenda: Fishing to see if OUR inquisitor(Kozilek) is here without spelling out that we're looking for him specifically. A meeting in person could be good.

Tran posted:

Edit: To pre-empt the obvious, don't steal, vandalize, hack, or otherwise misbehave here. At all. Not even a little.

This is something I wanted to respond to specifically. Everyone is advocating playing the innocent - and its a good move, but not the BEST move.

We are almost certainly being observed. Being on good behavior is good, but our captors are expecting us to be a curious tech-priest. Its not so much a trap, per se as a monitoring of our thought processes and how we go about doing things. We're still being graded and evaluated an interrogator by the people we run into. This is going to happen to matter what we do, as evidenced by our conversation with the Dwarf. All eyes are on us, hidden or not.

No, what's expected of us to either be on best behavior, OR try to get up to no good. If we act totally benevolent it may make people think we're keeping something back. There's a difference between knowing our innocence and showing it.

The trial will show what we already know(unless there's backstabbing & inquisitorial politics at work), so the smoother move is to just frontload that attitude, act like nothing's wrong, and make use of the resources any regular Interrogator would have here. Proceed like nothing's wrong, and start cracking cases. There's a difference between prying into things we shouldn't put our fingers in, and cases that are job-relevant.

If there IS a lot of politicking and backhanded deals over our fate, we doubly do not want to be taking this endeavour passively.

So i think the proper approach here is to defy both the expectations, and go for the ohone approach: instead of being naughty or nice, shoot for productive. And our peers get to see us in action instead of just the second-hand tales.

An inquisitor with the ability to get poo poo done fast and right gets leniency for the greater good. Doing that in the face of imminent prosecution will probably earn us major respect.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well what we need to do is look innocent while hacking everything we can get our hands on to find evidence on Siadwell, the artifact, or anything else we can get our hands on that can help us.

We'll need Siadwell's case history and cross reference the poo poo out of it like we took down crue-whatshisface that Lord-Sire stomped into jelly.

If we can place Amacita's artifact as the mechanism that allowed Devries to kill Limosa, we're well on our way of disposing of a scumbag as well as clearing our name.

As soon as we can stick our striyxis implants in a servoskull or servitor to go access the Library yesterday, we need to do so.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Mar 1, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

TheParadigm posted:

If there IS a lot of politicking and backhanded deals over our fate, we doubly do not want to be taking this endeavour passively.

We shouldn't be passive, but we should act within the rules.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Tell us about the factions and politics at play here.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Playing it along the lines of the way in which we hacked our security and then improved it could be cool.

In addition to the areas of research mentioned we might be able to learn some things about Sincera Pax if we thought we could do so without drawing injurious attention in her direction.

We might also do very braid and general research into Explorator Fleets, without targeting Athena in particular. Why and how that particular planet. She had been there a long time. What is the history of that planet in this regard?

In a similar way we need to start seriously looking into the Darkness that haunts or shadows the Beast. It is the path to understanding that Eldar staff and critical to understand in its own right. Again, finding out what is known and believed about the Beast would be totally in character and if we do an extensive enough piece of hacking research, then specifics of what we are looking for will be more or less hidden.

We download/hack research such an immense volume of things that it is impossible to tell from the record of that activity what exactly we are looking at or for.

It is interesting that the Dwarf represents the means of the =][= as primarily grounded in pattern recognition and probabilistic assessments. That is not how S and his retinue occur at all. They are all about creating reactions, domination, etc. K might fit parts of this model a bit better because he watches things for a long time before acting, but he violates it because he is not sharing information at all. This would make sense of why the Dwarf detests the culture of fragmentation, secrets and paranoia. In that culture you get greater distortion due to the missing or strategically manipulated information that makes up the basis for the pattern recognition and probabilistic equations.

E: transparency and allowing diverse points of view that have strategically held apart to collide is one of the most highly leveraged interventions one can make in a culture such the Dwarf is describing. Functioning as a Tech-Priest there is a great deal of relative innocent disruption we could cause even while doing things like improving the efficiency of certain systems and information flows. An obvious sort of example is having all sorts of details about S and his retinue become transparently available as a by product of other actions we are taking. There is no direct or visible attack on S involved in this at all. Indirectly targeting Chainsaw Sally in such a process, but generally isolating S to a greater and greater degree would all be pretty satisfying.

Nothing direct. Just innocently connecting dots in a way that reveals patterns to the background culture. Allying with the historic culture as represented by the Dwarf is a bit like a bottom up move aboard the Beast.

Sogol fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 1, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Whatever we do don't let on that members of our entire line are meat puppets for a borderline schizophrenic group of extra dimensional goons. That's probably the source of our probability bending powers.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Chasms

“Would it be possible to talk to the cogitators?”
The Dwarf shrugged. “Dunno why you’d want to. Barmy lot. They get too lost in the math sometimes. They were particularly excited to find out your Family had a pattern of being outside the spread, but then they went to the Eye with it. The chance of an Inquisitor-Lord Sire nearly broke their models, and then you showing up snapped it in half.

“Now some of their models are predicting you’ll wake the God-Emperor, and others are saying your Family will be the downfall of the Imperium. Some math is good, too much leads to bizarre conclusions.” He spat angrily, coughed. “They need to walk outside their labs once in a while.”

You thought of your Goddess, and said nothing.

He continued. “Anyway, your Trial - or Tribunal, more technically - will be headed by three Inquisitors. The first is Inquisitor Lord Aesteban Gant. Permanently stationed here at the Statue, and keeps things in the Sector to a dull roar. Radical, chosen to work with the Polysykana. Speculation is, he thinks your Family is a new kind of Psyker House.

“The other two are open slots. Officially, they will be chosen ‘by the will and grace of the Conclave’, but that was a lie as soon as it was written. If you can help guide who gets selected, you pretty much assure the result. You can be certain that Siadwell will be trying to get his choices selected as well.”

“Who are my options?”

“Don’t suppose your Inquisitor gave you anything?”
You shook your head.
“Not even what faction he’s in? Eugh, he’s left you in a lurch. Fine, here’s the take.

“We have Puritans and Radicals. You know them, right? Right. Okay, so. Amalthanism. Want to keep things the way they are, the God-Emperor has a plan that will be revealed. Their leader is Inquisitor Gustava Maineri. Rather conservative, they don’t like change.
“Monodominants. Aggressively pro-human, lead by Inquisitor Lord Anatolli Maruseva.
“Thorians. Interested in the human soul, think the God-Emperor can be placed in a new body. Their leader is Inquisitor Edourd.
“Those are the three biggest factions - Radicals need to be careful, although they have seen an upswing in the last few decades.

“For the Radicals at this Conclave, we have the Xanthites,” he glanced at you. “You’ve met their leader.” You nodded.
“We also have the Istvaans, who think the Imperium needs more wars to get better. Their leader is Inquisitor Jazmine Mammano. Recongregationists, who think the Imperium needs to be rebuilt. The only person who will admit to being one of them is Inquisitor Lynwood. She claims to speak for many, but it could be a bluff.
“Ocularians think they can see the future. They hang out with the Cogitators a fair bit, no leader to speak of.
“Polypsykana, our local Inquisitor-Lord.
“And finally, Xeno Hybris. New group in the scene, lead by Inquisitor Lothar Orlosky. Think that we can work with or learn from xeno.” His voice was biting. “The fact that genestealers are also on the upswing is purely a coincidence.”

You glanced at him. “I feel like you are helping me more than might be expected. Why?”
He shrugged. “If the Inquisition wants access to your Hulk, it doesn’t matter if its you or Limosa. And Limosa is dead, so we should work with you regardless.”
“That’s all?”
He glanced away. “That’s all.”

-

Helpful link: http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Inquisition

Siadwell is a Xanthite, and Limosa probably would have followed that or Xeno Hybris. There is strong suggestion that Kozilek is Monodominant.

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Mar 1, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
We'd probably trend Recongregationist, but maybe stacking things Puritan at the moment would be more helpful considering the leanings of Kozilek and Siadwell.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Ocularians might be an interesting choice, considering what we know about what the cogitators think of us.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008
Seconding the movement to stack it with Puritans, it will help us incriminate Siadwell as a heretic easier. We have relatively little that can be used against us from a Puritan standpoint. The Monodominant guy and the Amalthan is probably our best bet.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Suck up to Lynwood.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Waci posted:

Suck up to Lynwood.

This seems like a good idea. After the tribunal. Let's play the safe game, get some Puritans on the tribunal, play up our killing "xenos in the name of the imperium" credentials. Implicate Limosinia as an eldar-lover, Devries as a tech-heretic, and keep the Xeno Hybris far away as possible.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Learn as much as we can about the individual electors, and send requests to meet with each personally.

I'm against any effort to stack the court with Puritans. The actual decision regarding who is on the tribune most likely falls to negotiation among the inquisitors present. Anyone voting to stack someone who very clearly opposes Siadwell will be seen as taking sides against him. As such, we need to focus our efforts on swaying those in the middle of the road like recongregationists, or outright trying to poach those that seem like Siadwell's natural allies. This trial isn't about justice, it's about Siadwell's ambitions. While we're innocent of the crime we're ostensibly here for, our primary focus needs to be on convincing each elector that his methods and goals are incompatible with their own. Play up his narcissistic theatricality, his inability to manage even minor passive resistance aboard the Beast of Traal, his desire to steal the writ for that same ship out from underneath the rest of them.

Make drat sure we bring up the fact that the timing of his interrogator's death was convenient, so soon after the man would've first discovered our status in the inquisition. The death did seem to work out for Siadwell didn't it? It let him bring up the heir of another inquisitor on charges, force the conclave we're now all stuck attending, and even give cause to rescind the warrant of trade for a vessel that warranted such a great deal of attention from their peers. While we would never accuse him of murdering his own protege`, the possibility is a chilling one. If he were capable of such, it would suggest he hardly even cares if the inquisition falls to internal warfare.

TLDR: Stop reaching for a hammer. We need a scalpel.

Tran fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 1, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
If Lynnwood is the only one willing to publicly admit being a Recongregationist, we probably shouldn't publicly suck up.

Private inquiries should definitely be made in the future.

Globofglob
Jan 14, 2008

Tran posted:

Learn as much as we can about the individual electors, and send requests to meet with each personally.

I'm against any effort to stack the court with Puritans. The actual decision regarding who is on the tribune most likely falls to negotiation among the inquisitors present. Anyone voting to stack someone who very clearly opposes Siadwell will be seen as taking sides against him. As such, we need to focus our efforts on swaying those in the middle of the road like recongregationists, or outright trying to poach those that seem like Siadwell's natural allies. This trial isn't about justice, it's about Siadwell's ambitions. While we're innocent of the crime we're ostensibly here for, our primary focus needs to be on convincing each elector that his methods and goals are incompatible with their own. Play up his narcissistic theatricality, his inability to manage even minor passive resistance aboard the Beast of Traal, his desire to steal the writ for that same ship out from underneath the rest of them.

Make drat sure we bring up the fact that the timing of his interrogator's death was convenient, so soon after the man would've first discovered our status in the inquisition. The death does seem to work out for Siadwell didn't it? It let him bring up the heir of another inquisitor on charges, force the conclave we're now all stuck attending, and even give cause to rescind the warrant of trade for a vessel that warranted such a great deal of attention from their peers. While we would never accuse him of murdering his own protege`, the possibility is a chilling one. If he were capable of such, it would suggest he hardly even cares if the inquisition falls to internal warfare.

TLDR: Stop reaching for a hammer. We need a scalpel.

Plan Tran

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
I think we should attempt to make the most conflict ridden dysfunctional tribunal possible. Not sure what that is. Might actually include the Istvaans, which could also be good give our recent "saving a Crusade". They are likely to be bellicose in all things.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Xanathians are notoriously hard to prosecute and they're probably the most open and tolerated of all the radicals. Even if we somehow managed to stack the Conclave with hardcore Puritans there's still a pretty big chance that Siedwell will walk.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I don't care who we pick, just as long as this happens:

LowellDND posted:

Inquisitor Maruseva burst out laughing. Everyone turned to stare at her.

“What happened? Why are you laughing?” Anyone could have asked that, but Lynwood was loudest.
“She just became Inquisitor! Ohone is one of us now!”
Kozilek stared daggers, but didn’t say anything. Siadwell spoke. “The Conclave didn't begin. We couldn’t officiate.”
“You didn’t specify! It still qualifies!”
Siadwell stared at her. “It can’t possibly work like that.”
“It has for millenia, Inquisitor!” She crowed, still laughing.

He stared at her a moment longer, then rubbed his temples. “This loving Conclave.”

HiHo ChiRho fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Mar 1, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I can't believe none of you guys asked the really important question.

"Shortie, where can I get a tiger?"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

I can't believe none of you guys asked the really important question.

"Shortie, where can I get a tiger?"

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

The only possible way to travel

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Plan Tran. We need to work on turning this around against Siadwell. On the other hand, if Kozilek doesn't get in contact soon, he's pretty clearly abandoned us and we should ignore him.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Dang, we better call in a favour from the Genetor-Magos and get one cloned.:goshawk:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
God, if the Magos turns out to be an Inqusitor I'm going to be crushingly disappointed.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
everyone on the beast is a secret inquisitor

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

everyone on the beast is a secret inquisitor

Ive already foreshadowed it :v: 'statistically unusual'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Actually the Darkness is another AI that has cloaked itself within the Beast and remains hidden. End game is the war between the Beast and Athena. Pick a side now.