Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
If Jazmine can be believed, this is really a power struggle between Gant and Siadwell. We should get Eduord to confirm this, so that we have a better idea of how to proceed. If I understand correctly, Gant is automatically on the tribunal, while the other two spots are up for grabs? So Gant is probably going to vote our way, so we would only need one more judge in our pocket to be certain, but having both would certainly be preferable. Especially if we are looking to get promoted to full inquisitor afterwards. That being said, this could be our only chance to do some science to these crazy machines. A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Plan Tran, indeed!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Jumping on the Tran Train. It's a good plan!

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Jumping on the Tran Train. It's a good plan!

woo woo

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
Plan Tran

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I can't quite keep track of all the various names and factions, and so i am just voting Plan Tran

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Plan Tran is generally a safe option if you don't know what to do.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tran posted:

B & E: Keep him talking about his pet topic, looking for chances to steer the conversation to Siadwell. Ideally find the opportunity to call out Siadwell's recklessness. His response will tell us a lot about his value to us as a judge. We really want to keep our focus on the trial, but the niceties must be observed. So far Edourd has been fairly straight with us, at least as far as anyone here can be and so I expect his advice is likely to have reasonably few self serving lies in it.

I like this guy as a possible judge for a few reasons. Though we can't discount the possibility that it's all an act he seems to be fascinated with Kozilek. Whether this is simply the hobby of a man who deals in information or the awe of a fan, it's a lever we can use if we need to. Beyond that, it speaks to his methods. A more confrontational inquisitor would likely be dismissive of someone like Kozilek, as we saw with Jazmine. Lastly is his interest in patterns and outliers. We already know the family is bizarre, and the focus of a great deal of interest. We can play on this to some extent by presenting ourselves as a curiosity.

This

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

“His claim to fame was having an Interrogator on the Beast. Now you showed up, and even more so, showed up right as Limosa got the drop.”

Did anyone else spot this inconsistency?

At the wedding, Saidwell CLAIMED limosa was his interrogator - but if he wasn't? Either there are -three- interrogators on the Beast, or saidwell is lying somewhere.

It would explain his angle a lot if he killed gants interrogator, blamed/framed us, and hoped that nobody could prove otherwise, or would dare point fingers.

Or we could find out who gant's interrogator is, make contact, and see if they know anything about saidwell's game. So we need to find out who's side Limosa was on.

Since we're in the cogitators, Plan Tran, plus ask who Limosa worked for

VanSandman posted:

Yup. Also ask for the last archived photo of Kozilek if he has one.

If we ask this question, we should ask for pictures of all three in the betting pool - dwarf doesn't know who our backer is either. If everyone didn't want to spill it there, then we should apply the same idea here. Just saying, keep it level across the board.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Isn't she talking about Siadwell's claim to fame?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Kegslayer posted:

Isn't she talking about Siadwell's claim to fame?

Yes, Limosa claimed to have an Interrogator on board the Beast. We have no evidence whatsoever that Limosa was reporting to Siadwell. Hell, Siadwell certainly could be aiming to take us out here so he's the one holding all the cards when it comes to Interrogators on the Beast.

We aren't being nearly paranoid enough. Either we start playing like everyone is out to get us, or we start playing to break the game. Any other option will leave us under the thumb of another's will at the end of this affair, which I'm not sure we can afford.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

VanSandman posted:

Yes, Limosa claimed to have an Interrogator on board the Beast. We have no evidence whatsoever that Limosa was reporting to Siadwell. Hell, Siadwell certainly could be aiming to take us out here so he's the one holding all the cards when it comes to Interrogators on the Beast.

We aren't being nearly paranoid enough. Either we start playing like everyone is out to get us, or we start playing to break the game. Any other option will leave us under the thumb of another's will at the end of this affair, which I'm not sure we can afford.

Limosa hasn't claimed poo poo besides us having a new mutual enemy (who was presumably behind his death), he was an interrogator. Siadwell was the one bragging about having an interrogator on the Beast. Limosa was Siadwell's Interrogator. Literally no one, from Lord Sire to the other Inquisitors, has challenged this. It's why he had everyone from that spire brought out here in the first place.

Like, there is literally zero hints of a shadow of a whisper of evidence that Limosa was not Siadwell's interrogator, but some third as yet unrevealed Inquisitor's interrogator.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe there's confusion about interrogator/inquisitor here

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

paragon1 posted:

Limosa hasn't claimed poo poo besides us having a new mutual enemy (who was presumably behind his death), he was an interrogator. Siadwell was the one bragging about having an interrogator on the Beast. Limosa was Siadwell's Interrogator. Literally no one, from Lord Sire to the other Inquisitors, has challenged this. It's why he had everyone from that spire brought out here in the first place.

Like, there is literally zero hints of a shadow of a whisper of evidence that Limosa was not Siadwell's interrogator, but some third as yet unrevealed Inquisitor's interrogator.

That just mean's the conspiracy is really well hidden!

Also I was thinking Gant.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Chantilly Say posted:

Maybe there's confusion about interrogator/inquisitor here

As far as I can tell (I haven't had as much time as I would like to keep tabs on this thread lately, I'm afraid):

Kozilek and Siadwell are Inquisitors - big men with the Big I who can legally order a planet glassed on their say-so.

Limosa and ourselves are (or were) Interrogators - more or less trusted independent investigators who serve an Inquisitor without being in his personal retinue and who aren't as expendable as common agents.

Siadwell's claim to fame was that he had an interrogator, Limosa, on the Beast. If we were Gant's Interrogator, Limosa suddenly dying and us coming out in a big way would effectively tweak Siadwell's nose by removing his claim to fame and transferring it to Gant, and Gant has been wanting to tweak Siadwell's nose for a time - thus the reason why some people suspect that we were Gant's Interrogator. Essentially, those who suspect Gant is our Inquisitor are following the money to see who benefits most from Limosa's death and our elevation.

The entire conversation there and Jazmine's theory would make zero sense if she were suggesting that Limosa was Gant's Interrogator.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Todays music: Fever Ray

Thirteen posts in a row started with C. Thirteen

“So these are the machines?”
Edourd looked at them proudly, made a grand gesture. “The heart of the Cogitators. Yup.”
“How do you use them?”
“Well, their predictions are only as good as the information we give them. The Dwarf” he glanced over “has been big on trying to get as many Inquisitors on board as possible. We’ve gotten a few factions, but not everyone shares all they know. It occasionally leaves us with egg on our face.”
“Like with Siadwell?”
Edourd grimaced. “Siadwell… don’t really go for this. Prefers the personal touch. He doesn’t share much information here, and doesn’t ask for much of the Cogitators. Prefers his own networks, thinks they are more reliable.”
“But not as accurate.”
“Often, that is the case.”

“What have they been predicting lately?”
Edourd glanced about him, caught the eyes of two Inquisitors. They walked over. “That’s one thing we wanted to talk to you about, actually.”
“Oh?”
“Yup. Please follow us, we’re going somewhere more private.”
You glanced about you, ran the numbers. You could see Edourd matching them in his head, a strange mirroring. It was unlikely they were planning an ambush, you had as much resources as you could, and if they wanted you dead all they had to do was not help you. Edourd smiled as you came to the conclusion. You made a note to keep an eye on him - if anything, his smile grew wider.

“So, the predictions.” The alcove closed behind you, leaving you with Edourd, the Dwarf, the two Inquisitors, and you and yours. He gestured. “Inquisitors Herrion and Modrak, Occularians.” They nodded politely, and Modrak spoke. “Please, call me Patience.”
You blinked inwardly at the casualness, but shrugged. “Of course.”
Herrion was an old bear of a man, with a scalplock of grey hair. He was heavily scarred, with augmented eyes, and looked like he bench pressed Orks in his spare time.
Patience was small, shorter than you, actually, but you recognized trappings about her. Psyker of some sort. After Mother and Limosa, they were starting to set your teeth on edge, but you pushed through.

“We’re.. Kozilek’s. And we think you are too.”
You raised an eyebrow. “A ghost with a retinue of Inquisitors?”
Edourd shrugged. “Oh, he’s not an Inquisitor Lord. And to say we’re his is an exaggeration - he doesn’t leave us notes, or anything. We’re not even sure he knows about us. But he does leave patterns.”
“What kind?”
They looked at each other uncomfortably. “We’re not sure yet. His methods are bizarre. Unpredictable, even with all of our processing power. But supporting his goals, or what we think are his goals, works out for the Inquisition.”
“Who do you mean by the Inquisition?”
The Dwarf flicked his ears back. Perhaps an abhuman mutation? “The Inquisition. Whether or no Kozilek has the same goals as us, his achievements produce the same effect.”
“So… you follow someone you aren’t sure exists, whose goals are unclear, methods unexplained, but produces results that seem to match yours?”

They shifted in their seats. The Dwarf spoke. “Told you she was a smart one.”
You looked at Edourd. “And that whole scene with Jazmine…”
“An affectation. Or, it started as one, anyway. Maintaining my youthful appearance as fanboy and conspiracy theorist dissuades people from realizing I’m actually supporting him.”
“So what are your predictions?”
Herrion spoke, a deep voice almost at the edge of hearing. “You have to stay.”
You blinked. “I’m sorry?”
Patience glared at him, then spoke. “For a while. Leaving early puts things in jeopardy.”
“I didn’t know I had a choice.”
“In… a couple paths, you find one. You can’t take them.”
“Or what?”
They looked at each other. “Things don’t work out.”
You made a face. “Fine. What other predictions?”
“After a short time, we have to try to find you are innocent.”
“Well, that’s encouraging.”
The Dwarf frowned. “Tell her the rest.”
Edourd wasn’t meeting your gaze as Herrion spoke. “If you aren’t found innocent after a time, we have to find you guilty.”
“Just on your numbers?”
Edourd spoke. “Yes, on the numbers.”
“Isn’t me being found guilty a death sentence?”

Patience broke the silence. “Not … always.”
“What are my odds?”
“One in … five?” The others nodded.
“Can’t say I like those. How much time do I have?”
“We’re … not sure.”
You raised an eyebrow. “You are going to switch votes after a certain time, but you don’t know what that is?”
“The machines need more data. But they can give us that much.”
“What’s the cause of the change?”
Edourd reached out, placed a datachip into a machine. “We think it has to do with this.”
Black and white, a poor quality recording. You recognized a cargo bay of your ship - dozens of crates being filled and loaded with the Family files. Records, documents, books going back millenia. A few scribes were there, and Inquisitorial Guards watching them.

Herrion made a shocked noise. You turned to look at him. He spoke without seeming to notice. “Miriam.”
Everyone else looked at him, and then the scribe you recognized as one of yours. Then all of their faces went carefully blank.
“I don’t suppose you’ll share what that means.”
Edourd spoke carefully. “Whats important is that Siadwell is going through all your Family’s files. The longer the trial goes on, the more likely it is he’ll find whatever he’s looking for.”
“What do you think that is?”
They glanced at each other. “We couldn’t say.”

What do you do?

A. Turn in for the night, and go to a morning class (which one?)
B. Go exploring/try to meet other people (who?)
C. Ask more questions (what?)
D. Try to find out more about what’s going on aboard ship
E. Something Else

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Don't have time to analyze this properly but...

"We don't know."

"We're not sure."

"We can't say."

Goddamnit, Lowell, don't you go taking lessons from Diog now!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

"We don't know."

"We're not sure."

"We can't say."

Even helpful Inquisitors are sly bastards :colbert:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh Tomn,
Don't you get it? Ishmael is definitly in Enkindel's favor.
An inquisitor is only definite when he moves against someone.:smugissar:

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Well, if they're going to gently caress with us, let's gently caress with them.

What do we have around at our disposal? I'm thinking of pressing them into giving more information by holding parts of their lab hostage with high-explosives.

I don't trust any of these douchers, and I certainly don't appreciate the parade of half-answers we're getting.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Personally I like these guys, they seem to be the most well adjusted of the bunch so far, even if they speak in half-answers, I guess that comes with the territory.
They also have goals that I feel align somewhat with ours, making the Inquisition an effectively run organisation instead of the squabbling mess of idiots it currently is, feels like somewhat that Ohone could get behind, plus they seem to be in pretty direct opposition to Siadwell with regards to their goals and methods, so I feel that they are unlikely to sell us out.
As such I would propose that we inform them that we believe that Siadwell is looking for a (specific) Eldar staff, and that the information he's searching for is likely its current location and leverage to get it from the Beast, let's see if we can't improve their predictions with that nugget.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are these puritans or radicals? Because I don't really like telling either about the family staff. Just say that there may be embarrassing details in the family past, details that are no longer relevant because those decisionmakers are long dead and forsworn, but that's why we may need to move quickly.

We should, however, ask them who they think we can sway to switch sides.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arcturas posted:

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Are these puritans or radicals? Because I don't really like telling either about the family staff. Just say that there may be embarrassing details in the family past, details that are no longer relevant because those decisionmakers are long dead and forsworn, but that's why we may need to move quickly.

Edourd is a Thorian (moderate Puritan), while the other two are Ocularians (Radical)

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
These guys are being as helpful as other Inquisitors could possibly be, let's not piss them off.

Also, "Kozilek" is totally a cypher Inquisitor identity made up by the Inquisition support structure itself so it can get certain things accomplished that it could not otherwise. It's not necessarily the just the Dwarf who is the Inquisitor so much as it's an identity used by the 'Inquisition' all across this sector of space.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tomn posted:

"We don't know."

"We're not sure."

"We can't say."

Ishamal is an Inquisitor. His strength comes from augmetics, he can fly with a mag field, he's ancient because rejuve-drugs. It makes sense!! That means Smythos is a Space Marine.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Ishamal is an Inquisitor. His strength comes from augmetics, he can fly with a mag field, he's ancient because rejuve-drugs. It makes sense!! That means Smythos is a Space Marine.

And one day we'll get a power sword?

(Seriously, though, does Ohone have a power sword? Because at some point we should get one. We're terrible in melee but it seems a waste not to at least have the option of stabbing stuff. Plus if we get a matching pair that have some random-rear end inquisition stuff on them, we can give one to our husband. He's a commissar, he'd love that poo poo!)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arcturas posted:

And one day we'll get a power sword?

(Seriously, though, does Ohone have a power sword? Because at some point we should get one. We're terrible in melee but it seems a waste not to at least have the option of stabbing stuff. Plus if we get a matching pair that have some random-rear end inquisition stuff on them, we can give one to our husband. He's a commissar, he'd love that poo poo!)

I did leave a few in the fight with Abraxus, but people didn't show much at interest at the time. They are common enough for your tier.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
C.

I'm not sure there's anything we can trust anything from this conversation.

For starters, the Kozilek we met seemed like a hardcore Monodominant and would be after completely different results to what your average Occularians would want. Monodominants are the guys who believe in the complete destruction of anything non-human and their philosophy clashes with radicals like Occularians who are happy to using Xeno/Chaos technology and methods for their divinations.

Besides, it looks like they've already got a contact (the scribe Miriam) on our ship and are just trying to beat Siadwell to the staff.

I think we should

Deny our inquisitor is a ghost and say that it will become clear in the trial who they are when they make their judgement known.

Ask them why they think Kozilek exists and why they don't just check the Inquisitorial archives for records of his name. What's an example of a pattern or an incident where he acted and why they think that points to him instead of it being the Emperor's will?

Ask if they believe we're innocent and then why they would support/not support us. Highlight the fact that you're barely holding on to the ship and if you were to lose the trial, you'd effectively lose control of the Beast and access to all the secrets and hidden artefacts it holds. Make sure to wink poorly or throw in a really bad joke about how a Farseer's staff has a knob on the end.

Arcturas posted:

They're both pretty radical depending on the inquisitor.

Thorians follow all of the rules and establishment and are leveraged well within the organisation but at times, they're pretty much just radicals. Their big plan is to reincarnate the Emperor into a new body thereby plunging the Imperium into the biggest civil war since the Heresy and they do this by chasing down miraculous events looking for divinity to actively experimenting on people to see how much divine power warp energy they can withstand.

Ocularians on the other hand are pretty mainstream despite being radicals. They're not so bothered with Inquisiton politics so long as they're able to use non human tools to further their divination but they have been know to infilitrate other factions to see what they get up to.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
How's DeVries doing with free-run of the ship? I bet he's having a field day. We're going to go back to a crackhouse.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Cannon_Fodder posted:

How's DeVries doing with free-run of the ship? I bet he's having a field day. We're going to go back to a crackhouse.
He doesn't have free run of the ship, we left our husband behind to check him. That was half the point of that dumb thing we did.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
I wonder if we can pull some Adeptus bullshit and buy some time. Maybe its the High Holiday of file sorting, dendrite polishing and palm cannon calibrations. Lasts 3 weeks.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

I voted to grab a power sword during the Abraxus fight but people were complaining about looting stuff while the fight was going on

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You don't take loot of the corpse of a loving daemonhost. That's just stupid.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A: Explosives

AmyL
Aug 8, 2013

Black Thursday was a disaster, plain and simple.
We lost too many good people, too many planes.
We can't let that kind of tragedy happen again.

Grognan posted:

A: Explosives

You can never go wrong with making things go BOOM! A vote for this.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
E. We're in a room with a cogitator powered by the damned. That includes modern tech, archeotech, xenotech, and emperor knows what in a hideous abomination against the Omnissiah. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to rub some science all over this, especially given that we might be dead soon. Let's play with the machine! Preferably with their permission, but distract them with words and let the servo skulls get to scanning if we don't get permission.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
C- Could you give me an example, a case study lets's say, of the overlap between the interests of the Inquisition and K?

Miriam might be Sincera Pax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

sullat posted:

E. We're in a room with a cogitator powered by the damned. That includes modern tech, archeotech, xenotech, and emperor knows what in a hideous abomination against the Omnissiah. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to rub some science all over this, especially given that we might be dead soon. Let's play with the machine! Preferably with their permission, but distract them with words and let the servo skulls get to scanning if we don't get permission.

Sounds like a plan.