Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

C'mon you fun-haters, kowtowing to the space elves was Limosa's shtick.
Vote 'yes trade' and let's see where Athena takes us.

This is a good point. Changing my vote from no to yes, if we have to trade. (Let's try trickery and theft first though)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If we get caught with our hands in the Inquisitorial cookie jar trying to steal stuff from the people who have tried hardest to cultivate us as an ally, I'm going to start believing that Athena projects some kind of Silly Decision Field.

You guys do remember why we're here, right?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
We're not stealing it, we're trying to con them into giving it to us/trade us for it. Totally different.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Do whatever you can to get the thing Athena wants. Yes to trade.

I agree, yes to trade

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

falcon2424 posted:

This is a good point. Changing my vote from no to yes, if we have to trade. (Let's try trickery and theft first though)

I"m agreeing mostly with the latter part of this.

The first rule of a trade is 'don't sell valuables before you know what they're worth'. You want to do the ripping off, not be the one ripped off.

With this in mind I'd like to advocate Fate-pointing our fast talk tactics, while holding the stone as a reserve negotiation option. That's a Yes to trade but a no to sealing the deal immediately..

If we can get get something via talk, we should pay with a self-renewing resource.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

TheParadigm posted:

The first rule of a trade is 'don't sell valuables before you know what they're worth'. You want to do the ripping off, not be the one ripped off.

With this in mind I'd like to advocate Fate-pointing our fast talk tactics, while holding the stone as a reserve negotiation option. That's a Yes to trade but a no to sealing the deal immediately..

If we can get get something via talk, we should pay with a self-renewing resource.

I like the way you think

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
We have two fate points left. Getting this part is probably pretty important (not even in and of itself, but just to prove our value to Athena), but I hope we're not going to end up at a critical juncture on trial and just flub the talking because we ran out of fate dealing with ancillary stuff before it was even convened.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

TheParadigm posted:

We know what its worth is, it makes space-jerks like us. Better to consign it to eternal torment in the bowels of a machine and get something of worth from it than not do either. Win-win.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Maybe. My view on fate fate points is that they aren't something that needs to be to be hoarded - they (are supposed to) refresh regularly(though the demarkation line for 'session' in an online format is blurry, its been well handled, not complaining just noting), and its possible to gain more through heroic efforts - which we've done once already, I believe.

Its kind of like the second rule of trading: You need money to make money.

Think of it more of an insurance policy for your objectives, less off an emergency stockpile for self defense. The more of a difference you make, the higher chances you have of one-upping yourself into earning more of them to spend later down the road.

While that sounds nebulous and ill-defined(what counts as badass, anyway?), look at our current goals and what else is on the plate: It includes things like "Outwit an entire enclave of our peers in the inquisition" "fix the holy grail of our profession" and "stop devries from turning an entire rogue trader vessel traitor or heretic". If that kind of mythical accomplishment doesn't count, I don't know what would. It basically for major story arc impacts & resolutions, but that's exactly where both inqusitors and rogue traders are supposed to be.

Basically, stop worrying about how man points we have, focus on hacking away at our task list, and it will work out in the end.

If things turn nuclear, emergency self-defense is the province of burning fate. As a general guideline, players generally don't go above four, maybe five for exceptionally blessed or ascension-tier individuals. (a background package that increases it hardcaps it at 3, another at 5, and really lucky shrine worlders can claim four.)
So a good character won't be hesitant to spend points, they'll actually pogo around between one and three, maybe two and four fate points as the scenario/arc/campaign seriousness demands

Also everyone forgets about Charmed. Whenever it happens to comes up , it usually does so in a hilarious fashion. Looking at the odds, 3 in 10 in the course of a whole adventure to spend a fatebuck for free adds up.

edits for spelling

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Mar 17, 2015

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

the emergency stockpile is more when we burn fate points, true enough

just spending them isn't necessarily that big of a deal

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
Okay, sure, spend a point if necessary to convince them to give us the McGuffin

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Todays Music: HMKids

I intend to do XP/reload fate points after the judges are chosen (and before the Trial). Plan accordingly.

Grox Trading

You could feel the thrumming of the machines within your soul. Even without Athena’s presence highlighting the object, you knew this device was … special. You half noticed the Inquisitors watching your carefully, seeing what you would do. You reached for the integration port, paused. “May I?”

Herrion nodded, even as the room seemed to go quiet. Or perhaps it was just that you were focusing so much on the complex before you. Your mechadendrites spread, connected - information flowed into you like a stream of stars. You remembered judging probabilities during the servitor race, statistics and likelihoods dancing through your mind.

This was thousands of times more.

You could see the entire sector, and a hundred paths and approaches. The Tyranids swarmed in and conquered, and were gone, Space Marines deployed and stopped them before their arrival, the Beast was destroyed, the Beast was transformed, Devries was a Sector Lord, you were an Inquisitor Lord. All the possibilities of the universe, highlighted in vibrant color. And ever behind it, the melodies of the Eldar, guiding the paths.

The Sages guided you out of this virtual universe, chanting dusty secrets, and you took a breath as you emerged. They looked at you expectantly, even as you said “What a tremendous machine.” Patience cocked her head. “Did you see any methods for optimization? We don’t get many Magi here, for obvious reasons.” You nodded, trying to still your excitement. “I’d like to commune with one of the parts, if that’s permissible. For a few weeks or months.”

They glanced at each other, nodded. “It obviously can’t leave the Statue, but that seems reasonable. We are interested to see the results. Which part did you want?” You slowed your heartbeat, your breath, reached out. “This one.” Edourd smiled slightly. “Ah, our mystery piece. I shouldn’t be surprised it got your attention - the Machines said it was most likely, if you did end up communing.”

Patience glanced at you. “This can’t be overstated, though. It cannot leave the Statue. We’re not sure what it does, but every avenue where it leaves breaks the simulation. We think it might be a proximity thing.”
You nodded. “I understand. Was there anything else you wanted to go over?”
They thought briefly, then shook their heads. “I think that’s it. Edourd has our votes, and will vote in your favor in the short term. In the long term… you know what we have to do.”
You nodded again, bowed. “I will take my leave then.”

They waved you off, and you were on your own again, in the corridors. The concealed door closed behind you, and you saw movement ahead. Ducking aside, you waited in one of the alcoves, watched to see who it was. Aha. A familiar face. Jazmine walking down the corridors, as if looking for something.

What do you do?

A. Reveal yourself
B. Wait and see
C. Try to sneak away before she sees you
D. Create a distraction (how?)
E. Something Else

Funnily enough, you rolled well enough to not need fate or trade.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Woo got that title change

Loel fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 17, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
B, then A if it takes too long. May as well get a look at what she's doing, but we're still kind of on the clock.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I assume B is hiding and watching what she is doing.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Do we have our retinue with us because if so, I don't think we can really hide.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Engage hover mode.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shadeoses posted:

Engage hover mode.

Yeah. Spy, but if we can't make heads or tails of what she's doing at the moment we need to keep working on our objective of getting an ally on the judging panel.
I wonder if we can convince an Istvaan to throw a punch during the whole thing as a backup plan.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Shadeoses posted:

Engage hover mode.

While wrapping ourselves in a white sheet. For hidey reasons.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Do we really need more skulls? yes

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

LowellDND posted:

Patience glanced at you. “This can’t be overstated, though. It cannot leave the Statue. We’re not sure what it does, but every avenue where it leaves breaks the simulation. We think it might be a proximity thing.”
:allears:
B, followed by A if we get bored

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Why be furtive? Stroll down the corridor like we own the place, wave hello, and be on our way. If she stops us or attacks us or whatever we can respond, but at this point let's just go get some shut-eye. I think we're suspecting she's aligned with Siadwell, so no point in engaging her unless she asks.

E: I guess this is option A with a side of nonchalance?

sullat fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Mar 18, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

sullat posted:

Why be furtive? Stroll down the corridor like we own the place, wave hello, and be on our way. If she stops us or attacks us or whatever we can respond, but at this point let's just go get some shut-eye. I think we're suspecting she's aligned with Siadwell, so no point in engaging her unless she asks.

This gets my vote

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hover down the hallway.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

sullat posted:

If she works for saidwell, its all the more reason to see what trouble she's up to.

We should probably start making moves directly against saidwell. If he's spending all his time rooting around on the beast, that means there's plenty of time for him to get lost and/or delayed for his own trial while aboard the ship. I mean, he probably tried to kill us, after all. We missed a chance to do detective work on the worm-trapdoor.

We can always do the greeting thing later.

So B, side of A and D: We have skulls and dogs and if she's an enemy she warrants observation and tailing.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Today’s music: Therion

The ticking of silent clocks

You sunk back into the shadows, the hovering of your machines removing any possible chance of being detected. Even if she had some sort of tremorsense, you would be safe… although you thought suddenly some sort of infrared shield would be useful. Still. You would have to rely on what you had, which meant hiding behind this unobtrusive stretch of wall. Was it coincidence that the Istvaan was here? Or did she know about this exit, and was waiting for you?

Even worse, did she know precisely when you would come out? What was the level of her espionage against you?

You could hear another voice. Carefully, you glanced down the hallway, checked the image to your records. Inquisitor Lynwood, wrapped in the silver furs of some great beast. She could scarcely need them here, which suggested an aesthetic. A willingness and capability for violence - it made sense she was meeting with Jazmine the Istvaan. You glanced at her hands - Lynwood was idly swinging a carved bone like a baton. Perhaps Eldar?

They approached each other, kissed each others’ cheeks. Lynwood had a rough voice, almost a growl, and you briefly wondered if the furs were from a family member. Increasingly little was surprising you these days.

“How are you darling?” Jazmine’s voice could met butter. You wondered how many people it fooled.
“Well enough. Too many secrets here, too many people trying to hide their affiliations.”
“I know the feeling.” She smiled. “Becoming an Istvaan is remarkably liberating, I do suggest you try it.”
“Pfah. Its difficult enough getting people to admit the Imperium needs dramatic change. Saying we need even more violence has no traction.”
“Ah, but violence is all we are. And all we ever will be.”
“You know it doesn’t have to be that way.”
Jazmine threw back her head and laughed. “Why would I ever want it to be?”

“Pfah. How are things on your end? Expecting any outbreaks of war?”
“Always.”
“You made an alliance with Siadwell, I saw. I don’t think anyone was expecting that.”
Jazmine made a tutting noise. “I would never. Siadwell is just playing one of his games.”
Lynwood grunted skeptically. “I’m sure. What’s the cost of his votes going these days?”
“I wouldn’t know.”
“Liar.”
“I’m the only one here who tells the truth.”
“That’s the biggest lie of all.”
Jazmine smiled humorlessly. “Its the biggest truth, but have it your way.”
“Truth is a matter of perspective, or something stupid like that?”
“Something like that. I just see clearer than other people.”
“More than the Ocularians?”
Jazmine chuckled. “That band of fortune tellers? Always, always.”
“What do you see coming now?”
She cocked her head. “I would say its already here.”

Well, that could be a cue. Or maybe its a code for something. The conversation has been remarkably banal so far. Do you step out?

Yes
No, keep listening
Do something Else

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Yep!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Wait a few moments just in case she's indicating someone else. If no one else steps out, we will.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Walk out

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Yes

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Yes.

With a jaunty "top of the morning to you!"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Yess, giggling in binary

Actually, let's wait.

I don't think she means us. If she talked to the machine though....

Grognan fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 18, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Wait.

If she's not talking about us, we're gonna look pretty silly. Jazmine could be talking about literally anything from the arrival of the Beast to the stagnation of the Imperium.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

sniper4625 posted:

Wait.

If she's not talking about us, we're gonna look pretty silly. Jazmine could be talking about literally anything from the arrival of the Beast to the stagnation of the Imperium.

I don't think we can afford to look silly, too. Wait.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Wait a bit

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
wait

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Wait a bit.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zahrkon
Apr 2, 2010
wait