Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That bar name. :golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
The Law of Requisite Variety or the most flexible component of the system is the controlling component. Flexibility in this sense can mean many things.

We simply have far more distinctions within the domain of the information flows, satisfying this condition.

Jazmine is dangerous because she does not care about form per se as long as events satisfy the requirements of conflict.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

The Best Laid Plans

Where had everything gone so wrong?

A plan decades in the making, a coalition of all the Radicals in the sector. A charismatic leader, who would probably make Inquisitor Lord at the next Conclave. It was such a natural alliance - the Xanthites, with their practical approach to victory. The Istvaans and the Recongregationists, so willing to make the necessary decisions. And the Xeno Hybris, who would strip the xenos of everything useful and make them our own.

Siadwell had been so convinced it would work…

His Interrogator was a sad loss, but the Xanthites had pushed through it with an elegance you could only admire. Having an Inquisitor sitting at the helm of the Beast would have given you everything you needed - but when he was killed, Siadwell had managed to seize the ship for ‘investigations’. As long as the Trial went on, the search for ‘evidence’ could continue. Finding the Ta'maral'ailen would be a coup for the Radicals not seen in centuries.

You remembered Siadwell’s orders - vote for whomever would extend the trials as long as possible.

And then, and then. The Kroot, your faction’s signature piece - had gone insane. Publically so. Brutally attacking everything in sight, deaths that couldn’t be concealed, skills that could not be easily replaced. And just like that, your faction was in the dog house. You had been making a slow push for the beauty and utility of the Xeno, but that one event had set you back decades.

It could still be recoverable - the new Interrogator, Ohone, seemed quite reasonable when it came to the Xeno, much like her cousin Limoda. And then the recriminations from the other Radicals had started coming in. Blaming them for screwing up a delicate situation, revealing their hand early, a host of other things. You had begged to see Siadwell, to explain yourselves, but all the appointments ‘kept getting loss’. Sister Suffer had smiled at you when she said that.

And now you were alone. The Xanthites were going even further now, saying you might need to be made an example of, a public repudiation, one that would get the Radicals back in the public’s good graces. You kept trying to explain things, justify your usefulness, but they had shown you some of your faction’s secrets, Xeno Majoris, hidden in labs and catacombs. They would reveal them, they said. Even if your faction survived, having such secrets (and such an intelligence failure) would ruin you.

. . . Ah. And the hero of the feast, Ohone, striding towards you without a care in the world. By the God-Emperor, had you ever had such confidence? Oh, to be young and carefree. You nodded to her, and she nodded back. Normally, an Inquisitor held rank over her, but you both knew the practicalities. She was on the way up. You were on the way down. She reached out, shook your hand.

“I’ve heard you’ve been having some trouble.”
Guarded. “Something like that.”
“Well, it turns out I’m good at things like that.”
Your mind raced. Was she offering an alliance? Against Siadwell? What would it cost? And would she win? Who to back?
“Those nasty little files he’s been using against you. They’ve been taken care of.”
You blinked. “Just like that?”
“Mmhmm. I’ve always had a thing for the underdog.”
You considered that. Lesser cousin, forcing her way to the top of her vicious and infamous dynasty. It seemed plausible.
“Well, its appreciated.” Dryly. This could save you quite a bit of social capital. You hesitated. But at what cost? She smiled in an understanding way.
“Your faction doesn’t have anyone to vote for at the moment. It would be similarly appreciated if you could vote for Edouard.”
“The Puritan?” It would show a complete break with the Xanthites, but they were halfway there already… “We can do that.”
“Oh, and one more thing. A quibble.”
Your heart sank. “What’s that?”
“I ended up using some items in the activity. They need to be replaced.”
She handed you a list of items. Meaningless things, but that was Tech-Priests for you. It shouldn’t be too hard to get them…
“We can do that too.”
She smiled. The way the light and shadows hit her, you suddenly had the feeling you would regret this. “I’m sure you can.”

What do you do?

By my count, you have 7 votes. I assume you want six to go to Edourd, where do you want the 7th? Jazmine is the next runner up, with three.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
7th to Edourd too. I don't think we can secure enough votes to rig both nominations, so I'd rather have a backup vote for Edourd in case someone turns on us.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Edourd

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Whoever gets the most influential people in the room so we cause the most damage when it "mysteriously decompresses"

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Waci posted:

7th to Edourd too. I don't think we can secure enough votes to rig both nominations, so I'd rather have a backup vote for Edourd in case someone turns on us.

Yeah, this makes a lot of sense. Eddie-baby it is.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Waci posted:

Phone quoting.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
By the God-Emperor I love this story. You're such a fun and engaging writer.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Althair posted:

By the God-Emperor I love this story. You're such a fun and engaging writer.

:D Thank you! Im quite pleased with how things are going, I think Arc 3 should finish shortly.

Edourd is well in the lead, so Ill chomp out a post soonish.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Didn't our fourth (and best) master task us with stealing a doohicky and making a thingamajig?

It occurs to me that it would be such an utterly tragic loss if, amongst all the other problems at this Conclave, a secret Xanthite experiment involving toxic, flammable, possibly sentient chemicals were to very violently and very publicly explode. It would be an even greater tragedy if someone or several someones we totally didn't want dead happened to be present.

Yes, tragic.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 5, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paragon1 posted:

Didn't our fourth (and best) master task us with stealing a doohicky and making a thingamajig?
I hope we just told the Xeno Hybris guys to steal them for us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kozilek

Kozilek was sitting in your chair when you got back to your rooms. Your comfy chair. The one you made the Dwarf get when no one was looking. You stood semi-awkwardly near him as he finished doing whatever it was on his data pad.

“Seems like you can even get through a Tech-Deacon’s security.”
Unperturbed, he replied. “I built most of the security here.”
Well, that was interesting. File that away for later.

You waited for him to say something.
“You continue to astound me, Ohone.”
“How so?”
“In a matter of weeks, you’ve shattered a Radical coalition decades in the making. I ask you to get rid of one Inquisitor, and you manage to destroy his entire power base in such a way that itll be a century before it’s rebuilt.”
“Its a gift.”
He peered at you with gimlet eyes. “It rather is. You are the youngest Interrogator I’ve ever heard of, but all I need to do is throw you in a situation and it explodes. Everything falls apart in just the way I need it.”
Kozilek paused. “You seem particularly blessed by the God-Emperor. Probably.”

You glanced at him. “Probably?”
He shrugged. “I’ve not ruled out that you are some deviant avatar of the Great Enemy - you have a talent for destruction like no other. But for now, you appear to be just the tool I - and the God-Emperor - need. I have one last order to give you as my Interrogator.”
“Going somewhere?”
He ignored that. “Your vote succeeded, and you have two Judges on the Troika on your side. It’s time to resolve this little task of ours.” He paused. “Siadwell is currently in his quarters, looking for that thrice-cursed xeno-heresy of his. You are to modify the hallway cameras, and make it look as if he was traveling along these corridors.” He handed you the dataslate - an internal map of the complex, ending near the summit.
“That’s all?”
He didn’t smile. He didn’t have to. “That’s all.”

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

RIP High Inquisitor Gant, I can only presume.

We're gonna find out our vortex grenade is missing next post.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
I want to see this. :getin:

Waci fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jun 5, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
I wonder if he's setting us up.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

my dad posted:

I wonder if he's setting us up.

Probably not. At least for now, we can still be useful to him, Kozilek doesn't seem wasteful.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

So if that's his last order as it Inquisitor, he's either leaving for good, or we are.

I don't like this at all.

If we kill Kozilek, that means we get to use the name and be the legend, right?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Go RV! posted:

Who could stop you? :allears:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

By the way, the :popcorn: emoticon is actually "munch"

:munch:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
I like this guy.

Do what he says.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Go RV! posted:

So if that's his last order as it Inquisitor, he's either leaving for good, or we are.

I don't like this at all.

Or we're about to be promoted.

my dad posted:

By the way, the :popcorn: emoticon is actually "munch"

:munch:

drat, knew it existed.

Also, since apparently this is something we need to vote on rather than plainly obvious, do what he asked us to.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Listen to the terrifyingly competent inquisitor, then start making preparations

Go RV! posted:

It's his last order with us as his Interrogator. He might be giving us a promotion pretty soon, so that could be swell. It's a shame we didn't get the chance to cash in some credit with Kozilek to help us cleanly wrap things up aboard the Beast.

We still need to do that thing for Athena, make some more Inquisitorial contacts for later / schmooze with the ones we already have, and get ready to pay a certain blue lipped soon-to-be-servitor a visit

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

LowellDND posted:

Who could stop you? :allears:

I know we weren't strictly given a prompt here, but can we follow him with cameras, or something? This is a rare occasion that we actually know where he is, and in a setting that we seem to be in decent control of. It may be beneficial to see how he gets around, being a legend and all. I doubt too many people walk through the halls are seeming unknowns.

I still don't like his implications, and want to do a scan of the area, as well. Check the grenade, etc. Make doubly sure that the hack we're about to do isn't a setup. K made the security here, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he put some triggers or honeypots in as well.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Go RV! posted:

I know we weren't strictly given a prompt here, but can we follow him with cameras, or something? This is a rare occasion that we actually know where he is, and in a setting that we seem to be in decent control of. It may be beneficial to see how he gets around, being a legend and all. I doubt too many people walk through the halls are seeming unknowns.

I still don't like his implications, and want to do a scan of the area, as well. Check the grenade, etc. Make doubly sure that the hack we're about to do isn't a setup. K made the security here, I don't think it's unreasonable to assume he put some triggers or honeypots in as well.

I feel that this is an excellent idea and that we should make it a priority.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
poo poo's going down, I wonder what's going to happen next.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Go RV! posted:

I agree with this, but I also think that this is an unprecedented opportunity to actually, you know, engage with our patron.

The obvious question that every acolyte has is a good start - Why Me? Not in hindsight, but back then.

However this is also pretty clearly a test. Whether its to read the situation, or of unquestioning loyalty, dealing with an inquisitor face to face means impressions and judgements of character.

Instead, we should take a guess as to his plan and ask about improvements to it. Making things worse is our thing, after all.

As for XP: We should get Logis Prophesying for 300 xp (lathe worlds 56). Using logic to predict the future is a really, really useful skill. The future-sight machine the dwarf has built? That's something we can do too. Minus the psykery, but still.

Arkanomen posted:

plan everything E + working with Athena to steal all the parts she needs when we blow this joke of an inquisition

Also, while seconding this, I am really expecting this to be the list we gave the faction we blackmailed. :munch:

Edit: If kozilek can hack through a mech-deacon's security, and built most of the security here, and he's asking us to do something basic like -hack cameras in a hallway, which we just learned are the least secure nodes- then my suspicion is hella aroused and yours should be too.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jun 5, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We can probably do it smoother than he could, and wireless.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

LowellDND posted:

Ta'maral'ailen

It's OK to crib, but at least change the names :saddowns:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Oh, by the way, while this guy is in our room I want to discretely gather biological samples from him to assist in tracking down what his identity is when he isn't Kozilek.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Do the job, and do not make any attempt to track or identify him. Kozilek is a clear and obvious good for humanity. Pissing him off over some half-assed plot to gain leverage is doing the Enemy's job for them. Ohone may be greedy and ambitious, but I don't think even she would piss off her own drat inquisitor when he's very likely sponsoring her for the tests.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Tran posted:

Do the job, and do not make any attempt to track or identify him. Kozilek is a clear and obvious good for humanity. Pissing him off over some half-assed plot to gain leverage is doing the Enemy's job for them. Ohone may be greedy and ambitious, but I don't think even she would piss off her own drat inquisitor when he's very likely sponsoring her for the tests.

Yeah. I'm afraid of a setup, but it's possibly a defensive one. Do the job right, all is well. Try to muck about, poo poo goes boom.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Tran posted:

sure this

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

It's OK to crib, but at least change the names :saddowns:

Shh, you. Thats from like my month one notes, back when I was still giving XP for references.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Shh, you. Thats from like my month one notes, back when I was still giving XP for references.

where is our xp :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SerSpook posted:

where is our xp :colbert:

People asked me to stop giving xp for references :colbert:

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tran posted:

This. What happens to people who try to find out Batmans identity? Nothing good. Probably. I've never actually read Batman. The point is that Kozilek is the last person we should cross and we should do our job. We've basically got this in the bag, let's not get greedy now.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

LowellDND posted:

i will balefire you

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SerSpook posted:

i will balefire you

Already happened. Tis why theres no XP.

Balefire'd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LowellDND posted:

Wasn't it only like 1 person that was crying about it?