Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

sniper4625 posted:

Unless you're talking about the hallucination in our head, I have some bad news...

I know what I'm talking about :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Shadeoses posted:

I know what I'm talking about :colbert:

Ah hell son, we've just done all that. I like having fate points for when Goonmind kicks in and we die again.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
We've got our whole retinue in our head now where nothing can take them away from us.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Do not reveal the Iron Hands for anything less than Chaos Space Marines

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Do not reveal the Iron Hands for anything less than Chaos Space Marines

Seconding this

It would make sense not to reveal our trump card before the time was right. The Iron hands were kept a complete secret this entire time, so revealing them could make our position much more precarious down the road with Chaos Marines knowing about them and coming up with a counter strategy.

We should still ask them for advice

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Leave the space marines alone until we have a serious chaos threat for them to stomp. Asking Space Marines for investigative advice is a terrible idea. All their suggestions are likely to involve shooting at the potential problem until it politely stops moving.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

For the people saying 'dont use Space Marines for the capture team', who do you want to use?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

Leave the space marines alone until we have a serious chaos threat for them to stomp. Asking Space Marines for investigative advice is a terrible idea. All their suggestions are likely to involve shooting at the potential problem until it politely stops moving.

They've been on the ship for ages and there's a chance this isn't the first time this has happened. They may have some insight into the threat we face and the Pillar of Suln. They may also be familiar with locations in the Deep that we don't know about.

LowellDND posted:

For the people saying 'dont use Space Marines for the capture team', who do you want to use?

A small team involving us, Limosa / Ed (depending on who's feeling up for it), and as many Kriegers as we have psider nets for.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
"I mean, what are the odds of two fusion bombs in one month?"

"Man, I wish I had someone reliable I could send to take care of this."

"On the off-chance this blows up in my face, at least I have a lucky feeling. "

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Maybe we need to dance our way into the xeno's good graces?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Do the robot?

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Ask the iron hands with they would like to capture the Xenos with us. They will probably be bored enough to accept.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
No to bringing Iron Hands.
No to going ourselves.

We can ask the Iron Hands if they know of anything like this, though.

If Limosa and Ed are available and healthy enough, send them with Psyder-hat Kriegers.

Have we heard from Matthais, by the way? Wasn't he training with the other Magos? Or was that something we planned on doing after we got back...? Maybe he'd have some insight into what's happened to our engine-dwelling associate.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

mepstein73 posted:

No to bringing Iron Hands.
No to going ourselves.

We can ask the Iron Hands if they know of anything like this, though.

If Limosa and Ed are available and healthy enough, send them with Psyder-hat Kriegers.

Have we heard from Matthais, by the way? Wasn't he training with the other Magos? Or was that something we planned on doing after we got back...? Maybe he'd have some insight into what's happened to our engine-dwelling associate.

If we're not personally going to get specimens / make observations about the enemy, what do you propose we do in the meantime?

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Check in on Matthais, try to get to the Magos somehow... Plenty of options.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Didn't we leave Matthias training with the Magos? Seems like a two-birds-one-stone situation here. Contact Matthias, ask him wtf's going on in there. Unless all communications are being blocked entirely, I guess.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Matthias is apparently in the back with the Magos, the area under heavy guard and quarantine. Until we can be sure that the defenses will be powered down, getting anywhere near it seems unfeasible at the moment. Place is locked down tight.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Councils of War

Absently, you sent communiques to members of the Mechanicus you knew, including your apprentice Matthais. It was possible they might send you information on the sly, given their personal loyalty to you, but no - all responded with the same quarantine info-block. The Magos Biologis had closed off the engines to all possible approaches, and it would take an actual assault to get inside. You wondered what aspect of the xeno had required such precautions, and considered making them yourself.

You notified the Ecclesiarchy of your return, and your intent to defend the ship. They had been coordinating with the Tribes (after a fashion…) against incursions of massacre events, with little luck. With your arrival, they immediately wanted to begin a Ship-level Crusade, moving all troops and pilgrims in Between to crush the invasion. You told them to get ready for it, but to await your word, and they accepted this with fiery eyes.

Who to trust, who to trust… how were the xenos spreading, and what had scared the Magos? Did you need to protect against biological, chemical, memetic hazards? Your Kriegers should be okay on that front - most of their losses had been claw and tooth. But then, they had been blanketed by psyker energy as well, and most of your psykers were out of play. Silently, you cursed the coordination of the enemy. They had clearly done this before.

You notified the Magos of the information you had collected so far - psyker/melee based xenos, possibly scavengers or pirates. No response, of course, but maybe they could do something with it you hadn’t. Meanwhile, you began crafting more of the psider helmets, distributing them to the officers of the troops. There might be a side effect later, but you needed them to survive right now. Initial reports begun to come in - many of the xenos had the appearance of spiders, eight legged, fast, and agile.

Fewer of your servo skulls were returning, so you stopped sending them out without a reason. They were getting ambushed, lost and destroyed, and the material they were returning wasn’t worth it. Still, the data you did manage to collect correlated troop reports - mottled gray and green skin, appearing out of the darkness to attack and then vanish. Surprise predators, perhaps, not wanting a long confrontation.

The Machine-Spirits of the Beast began sending you warning notifications and system failures. In the Deeps, minor parts were being destroyed - internal cameras, controls for the lights, and speaker systems. They couldn’t identify what was attacking them, but they would have to be small, and relatively out of sight. The Dregs didn’t appear to have noticed yet.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tomn posted:

Oh, right!

Lowell, can we ping every Lore roll that we can think of that might be relevant to this to see if we can remember anything like these guys? Xenos, obviously, but maybe some Daemonology, Mutants, and Tech-Heresy to be sure.

Hey, Lowell, reposting this for your attention.

We got some huge lore bonuses, let's make use of them!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Hey, Lowell, reposting this for your attention.

We got some huge lore bonuses, let's make use of them!

Admin - doesn’t apply
Imperial Creed - all aliens are unclean, untrustworthy, faithless heretics, weak of mind and body, lacking in spirit (for the Immortal Emperor does not shine for them! His guiding light is only for man!) and deserving of nothing more than slavery or death.
Imperium - the alien is not worthy of your mercy. Whatever their shape, demeanour or behavior, wipe them from the Immortal Emperor's sight (unless you have orders otherwise.)
Machine Cult - doesn’t apply
Tech - the speed at which they are disabling internal machines suggests they’ve either been here a while, or they’ve encountered human systems before. most of your maintenance guild couldn’t operate that fast
Archaeotech doesn’t apply
cults - they’ve exhibited no cult behavior
daemonology - no daemonic behavior
inquisition - very unlikely but possible. perhaps a kill retinue to deal with you?
mutants - high possibility
order malleus - doesn’t apply
recongregators - doesn’t apply
tech heresy - doesn’t apply yet, but you can say more after you capture some weapons
xenos - not a major race, has similarities to several minor ones
archaic - doesn’t apply
bureaucracy - dent apply
chemistry - chemical weapons will probably work on them, unless they are REALLY weird.
crypto - doesn’t apply
heraldry - doesn’t apply
legends - half a dozen ghost stories
mercantile - doesn’t apply
tactical imperialism - they favor deception, surprise, and confusion. they don’t seem to like straight up fights, and go out of their way to avoid them.

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
Our psider corpse was missing from the lab right? Do they have any similarities to the spiders we fought underground?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Does the beast have murder survitors?

We need something without a brain/with less of a brain to deal with psykers.

Also its highly unlikely their -entire- race are all psykers, otherwise it may have blown up in daemons by now. Find and target leadership and tech that enables this kind of attack.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

TheParadigm posted:

Does the beast have murder survitors?

We need something without a brain to deal with psykers.

Funnily enough, they are all in the Quarantine.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

drat, lowell. You just ninja'd my ninja. Well played.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

TheParadigm posted:

drat, lowell. You just ninja'd my ninja. Well played.

JUST AS PLANNED

Numeron posted:

Our psider corpse was missing from the lab right? Do they have any similarities to the spiders we fought underground?

Yes, it is missing. Im not sure which spiders you mean - do you mean the ones underground in Golgotha? Same species, near enough. Or symbiotes, or something. Whatever. They travel in the same pack.

The Damork in the cocoon is missing, the spider you broke down for parts and turned into hats.

Loel fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Jun 16, 2015

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
If we go stealth, I think we will need some images of tip toeing in our battle armor. Hiding behind the equivalent of a lamp post would be good.

e: also, wasn't it mentioned that this could be the Magos, rather than what scared the Magos?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Sogol posted:

If we go stealth, I think we will need some images of tip toeing in our battle armor. Hiding behind the equivalent of a lamp post would be good.

e: also, wasn't it mentioned that this could be the Magos, rather than what scared the Magos?

Well, sure, if you want to admit Amacita was right from the beginning :colbert:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The clues given suggest to me that we've somehow gotten an infestation of Megarachnids. Now what a planetbound species of xenos quarantined by multiple different major stellar nations on their homeworld would be doing on our hulk, I suspect the Magos has some 'splaining to do.

Megarachnids come in two major types, the giant spider forms and smaller wasp types. They're fairly primitive, but they have a nasty habit of building strange pylons that give off a strong EM field that functions as a sort of brute force ECM.

Edit: I guess I should point out that the boring possibility is that the Magos just grew one or more "Psider" specimens from our samples. The spider things would be its drones.

Tran fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Jun 16, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Dont forget their planet is literally called 'MURDER' :D

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

mutants - high possibility
xenos - not a major race, has similarities to several minor ones
legends - half a dozen ghost stories

Would it be possible to get a breakdown of these results? What do we know about the situation that so strongly suggests mutant action? Which minor races does our information resemble? And are any of the ghost stories worth repeating here?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Tomn posted:

Would it be possible to get a breakdown of these results? What do we know about the situation that so strongly suggests mutant action? Which minor races does our information resemble? And are any of the ghost stories worth repeating here?

It's a space hulk. Mutants are literally always a problem. Some as a result of warp corruption and others from generations of living among good old fashioned toxic waste and radiation. The minor races that bear certain similarities to the threat are the Arachen, the Megarachnids, or possibly the Saruthi. None of which is a perfect match. As for ghost stories, you could name any number of stories about unknown xenos or mutant infestations swarming up out of the bowels of a ship to slaughter all hands aboard. Most such stories would trace back to tyranids or warp incursions.

Edit: Now that I'm thinking about it give Limosa a briefing on the Damork and all its known capabilities. He's our resident psyker and telepath. If we've got a telepathic xeno loose on the beast he's best suited to deal with it.

Way back in arc one we got to make a visit to the Magos personal laboratory. In light of current events I figured I should quote this part.

LowellDND posted:

Inside, the whirr and hum of a thousand machines you didn’t recognize and couldn’t put a purpose to, or even name. As the doors seal behind you, you notice that most of the objects here were deeply secured, with bars, pressure seals, magnetic locks, even arcane force fields. You felt a moment of slight hesitation. If these were able to get out somehow, you expected the results to be ... unpleasant.

Tran fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jun 16, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
alternate theory

guess we found out where mother went

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Who left the Family Home Video in the DVD player again

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Im really pleased people are going back and rereading things for the foreshadows I put in them :3:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Mother of god, if Amacita had a free willy brain fart when she found our lab again. Are we looking at Darmok-Psider mutants with a side of tech haters?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Grognan posted:

Mother of god, if Amacita had a free willy brain fart when she found our lab again. Are we looking at Darmok-Psider mutants with a side of tech haters?
They are also most likely drug crazed because why wouldn't they be after eating nothing but gangers and dregs.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

They are also most likely drug crazed because why wouldn't they be after eating nothing but gangers and dregs.

If so, we're quite lucky to have one of the Imperium's foremost experts on drugs and their many uses in our retinue.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Fill a bunch of penal dregs with slowly degrading caplets of the most horrifically toxic and/or potent hallucinogens, poisons and narcotic known to man or xeno and send them on a suicide mission into Between. Also caplets with GPS chips/trackers. and explosives

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, looking it back, I don't think we ever asked.

Limosa, what exactly DO the psykers dream of?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Outrail posted:

Fill a bunch of penal dregs with slowly degrading caplets of the most horrifically toxic and/or potent hallucinogens, poisons and narcotic known to man or xeno and send them on a suicide mission into Between. Also caplets with GPS chips/trackers. and explosives

No need to have them swallow trackers and explosives, since tiny ones are expensive and penal dregs are disposable. Just graft some full sized trackers / explosives onto them or attach collars. In fact you can do an experiment:

1. One group of penal dregs have obvious trackers and explosives
2. Another has obvious trackers but no obvious explosives
3. Another group has hidden trackers and no explosives
4. Repeat the trial after the first three to see if the xenos are learning.

Make sure all groups have various sensors (sound, radar, biometrics, etc...) so we get more data. Maybe we can also find some way to double blind the results.

We're a Magos, let's do science!

Edit:

LowellDND posted:

Funnily enough, they are all in the Quarantine.

As a Magos, can't we just make some more? Except ours should be better and wear the Tunnel Cats insignia or whatever new design we come up with.

Now that we're a Magos, Inquisitor, Lord Sire, Krieger mom, Athena worshipper, Time Lord, etc..., shouldn't we come up with a new logo?

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Jun 16, 2015