Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Were our troops being eaten as well as killed? Because if they are, sending in highly toxic/radioactive Dregs would be hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Were our troops being eaten as well as killed? Because if they are, sending in highly toxic/radioactive Dregs would be hilarious.

Many of them were bitten/torn with teeth, yes. Whether they were swallowed, Limosa didn't stick around to check.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Coward. All parties going into between must have a few servo skulls/gopros attached.

How hard would it be to attach explosives to skulls so that if they are taken they blow up. Easy I think? Send them on solo suicide missions.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Going to the Chapel

With the conversion of the Bridge deck to a Psyker’s Ward (and the various purges of disloyal officers and merchants), the center of power had shifted to the Cathedral. The old Ecclesiarchy, old and decadent, had been killed by the mobs, and replaced by an army of the Drusians. They had come aboard as a thousand, but now they numbered in the tens of thousands, a militant cult that filled the power vacuum that your purges had created. They managed the Deeps, the Shallows, and the Recyclers, and they worshipped your husband as a Saint.

All the other icons and statues (save of Ching Shih) had been torn down and burned, and many of their books and scriptures had been burned as well, as the vilest heresy. These were dark times, when tens of thousands of Dregs could be revealed as cultists of the Great Enemy, or traitors to the Dynasty. The survivors were fanatics, dedicated to the Cult and the Dynasty.

The most sacred place aboard the ship was the Chapel of the Fallen, where the retinue of Saint Fabiyan were interred. Empty caskets, of course, but thousands visited the shrine daily. In the center of the room, elevated above it all, a rotating shrine, lit by massive columns of white light. A perfect copy of Fabiyan’s skeleton had been grown there, inscribed with hexagrammic wards and purity seals. Even now consecrated synthflesh was being applied by the holiest of priests.

The Cathedral itself had become an austere place of war, with all the benches and thrones scattered and broken. Instead, companies of Kriegers were teaching the pilgrims how to die. In a long line, the most fanatical, the most devoted volunteered for an eternity of service. Their bodies were broken, and Church or Mechanicus parts were placed inside. Their mind was replaced by righteous fury, their identities gone, and slowly, ever so slowly, you built your dozens of murder-servitors and arco-flagellants.

You didn’t have enough information on the nature of the threat, and were wary of going yourself. It was easy to imagine, grabbing Edourd, the Iron Hands, going below. But if there was another fusion bomb (easy to find on this ship), you would have lost your trump cards before the battle had begun. Instead, you sent teams of expendables from the Penal units. Tracking devices, explosives, or by themselves, they were all killed and some were eaten. You were pretty sure they caused some casualties to the xeno, but it was hard to tell.

The Tribes had been pushed back to the Deeps, and simply decided to move into the Dead Decks. It was an ad-hoc measure at best - not having the Tribes in Between meant you had no shipboard guns if you were attacked, and the holy torpedoes were unguarded. It couldn’t be helped though - you didn’t have the resources to counterattack, not yet.

The Machine-Spirits reported that the Deeps had lost their cameras, speakers, and lights, but the locals hadn’t noticed yet. They were reliant as ever on space oil and fluourcats. What it had really impacted, however, was your ability to coordinate the defenses of the Deeps. The intelligence running the xeno, whatever it was, was a crafty bastard, and patient. You got the feeling it had done this before, or had been planning it for a very long time. Or both.

The nightmares were as strong as ever, and many people were reporting they were hearing a high pitched noise during their waking hours, like a distant machine shrieking. No one had any explanation, although your HQ unit speculated it might be part of the enemy psy-ops. Mess with your sleep, mess with your waking hours, hit the lights, the sounds. It would be enough to drive you mad, even before the battle was committed.

Limosa had been reaching out his mind - there was a vast telepathic intelligence somewhere in the ship, but deeply shielded. It felt like some sort of spider in the center of a web, with minor nodes of telepathic xenos acting as squad leaders. Or, more so, concealers. It was hard to say how they were being coordinated, only that they were. A few of your Astropaths and Navigators were powerful enough to go on patrols - one proposal was to send them with companies of troops, target the concealer xeno, and then engage to combat as normal.

Your research continued. Xenos that might have the personality and propensity to due this included the Arachen, the Megarachnids, the Rakgol, the Saruthi, and the Stryxis. You had personally offended the Stryxis, and you had the stolen body and weapons of the Rakgol. The others were considered due to their connection with telepathy or arachnids, although how they got on board was anyone’s guess. Old stories from other Dynasties whispered themselves to you, of ghost ships and haunted triangles. And who was to say you had cleansed all the mutants on board, after all?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

A few of your Astropaths and Navigators were powerful enough to go on patrols - one proposal was to send them with companies of troops, target the concealer xeno, and then engage to combat as normal.

I support this plan.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Do we have enough information to use Logis Prophecy to try and guess what the enemy is going to do next and how? If so, do that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
How much Grim Dark Napalm do we have? What is the feasibility of locking off the beast bulk head by bulk head using the ancient doors and filling them with fire/toxins/bad things?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

How much Grim Dark Napalm do we have? What is the feasibility of locking off the beast bulk head by bulk head using the ancient doors and filling them with fire/toxins/bad things?

An old lord-sire killed a space whale a while back. It has lit every lamp on the ship for generations.

So, lots.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Illuminate what we can and see where the black out space is. If possible track the progression of tech going dark. Did it happen all at once? Is there a pattern to it? It takes an expenditure of energy. What is the pattern and signature of that? The absence of information is information itself and can reveal a shape and pattern. If it is a web it will be visible in this way. If it has a center that will be visible in this way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
This is possibly a long-term project, but we need to start establishing new power bases in the Deeps and Shallows, ones that the Drusians trust enough to hand power over to. Having a single faction in control of so much of the ship will gently caress us over eventually. 100%.

Also, let's start a rumor that Saint Fabiyan will return to the ship in its hour of need or whatever, so people don't freak out when he comes back.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

JT Jag posted:

This is possibly a long-term project, but we need to start establishing new power bases in the Deeps and Shallows, ones that the Drusians trust enough to hand power over to. Having a single faction in control of so much of the ship will gently caress us over eventually. 100%.

Also, let's start a rumor that Saint Fabiyan will return to the ship in its hour of need or whatever, so people don't freak out when he comes back.

Voting this.

I wonder what Fabiyan will think of his exalted status.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

LowellDND posted:

Going to the Chapel

Limosa had been reaching out his mind - there was a vast telepathic intelligence somewhere in the ship, but deeply shielded. It felt like some sort of spider in the center of a web, with minor nodes of telepathic xenos acting as squad leaders. Or, more so, concealers. It was hard to say how they were being coordinated, only that they were. A few of your Astropaths and Navigators were powerful enough to go on patrols - one proposal was to send them with companies of troops, target the concealer xeno, and then engage to combat as normal.

Uhhhhh, so what if Psyders are a thing for reals instead of a one-off mutant we found on a crap planet?

Or the Magos is a REAL rear end in a top hat. Did we give him any information on the Psyder? A hairnet, maybe? Mixing a Hive Tyrant with an Ork, and a Psyder would suck super loving hard.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Uhhhhh, so what if Psyders are a thing for reals instead of a one-off mutant we found on a crap planet?

Or the Magos is a REAL rear end in a top hat. Did we give him any information on the Psyder? A hairnet, maybe? Mixing a Hive Tyrant with an Ork, and a Psyder would suck super loving hard.

Fluors Damork:

quote:

Interrupting your thoughts, you receive a message from the Magos. <Ohone. There’s a small break in the riots, have you found the xeno?>
<No, Magos. Not yet. However, a dissection has revealed that its byproduct needs increased proteins, I plan to begin there.> You send a set of annotated diagrams. After a moment, you can feel the Magos’ peaked interest.
<If you don’t mind, I would like to hold onto the research product. Some of the brain modifications are useful to my own research, and I’d like to see how the field might be developed.>
<Of course, Magos.>
Distantly, you hear more gunfire, and the roar of angry crowds.
<Find the xeno, Ohone. I’ll bet my first mechadendrite it’s involved in this.>
<Yes, Magos.>

Carefully, you place the dissected product in a freeze unit for the Magos.

Tyranid Servitor Hybrids, Ork Spore Human Hybrids

quote:

The Magos greeted you in a similar way to your Lord-Sire. If they were an organic, they would have probably hugged you. Instead, they simply send you waves of pleased binary. It seemed they were comfortably sure of what was on the data-slate you had, even before you showed it to them.
<How did it go?>
<Well, Magos. I have the slate here for you.>
The Magos waved it off. <Hold on that. How did the combat drugs go?>
You blinked, thought back. Ah, right. You had used an inhaler gas on a wave of pilgrims, sent them to the genestealers.
Nearby, a distance of dozens of meters, xeno troops. They had made it across the river. They looked half-human, faces all sharp edges. Their hands were vicious cutting claws. The two forces crash into each other like continental plates. Blood is spraying into the air, hangs in a thick mist. Both sides are ignoring horrific wounds, damage that would put a Guardsman into fatal shock.
<They went well. They were able to perform against low-generation genestealers.>
<And the after-effects?>
<I wasn’t there to observe - the test subjects went into the wilderness.>
The Magos sounded disappointed. <No squigs then?>
You paused. <There were many squigs.>
They brightened. <Excellent. The life cycle continued then? Gretchen, Orks?>
<Yes Magos. The Nallani took several months to disperse them.>
<A fine training for them, I’m sure. Do they have any idea where they came from?>
<No Magos. A ‘spontaneous sporing’ is what its called.>
<Excellent. A most excellent combat drug. Send a few penal units in, and a month later, the enemy is fighting Orks as well as you.>
<Yes Magos.>
<Now…> The Magos’ voice was almost greedy. <What have you got for me?>
You handed the slate over. <The local Magos fused herself with Tyranid DNA for unknown reasons. These are her notes.>
The Magos seemed to stop dead in their tracks. After a pause: <Did she survive?>
<No, Magos. The hybridization had gone too far.>
The air seemed to go out of them. <Ah. Well, let’s see her notes.>
They flipped through the notes, the diagrams. The final marks about a xeno plague. <Ah, did you see this?>
<Yes, Magos.>
<Planning to sell it to the IG then?>
<Ideally.>
<How do you plan to explain it?>
<Local Magos made a research breakthough but was killed in the fighting.>
Their tone, if anything was sad. <Has the benefit of being true. What were you thinking of selling it for?>
<Krieger units and their support staff.>
<Oh? Not combat-servitors or Skitarii?>
<No, Magos. I’ve had good experiences with the Kriegers.>

Telling the Magos about current xenos

quote:

You notified the Magos of the information you had collected so far - psyker/melee based xenos, possibly scavengers or pirates. No response, of course, but maybe they could do something with it you hadn’t.

General legends about the psider

quote:

You had another. You were riding your newly acquired Rapier Laser Destroyer, and it was strapped to your Riding Servitor like a techno-barbarian chariot. Your Riding Servitor screamed its hymns to the Omnissiah, and the crowds trembled at its voice. Many people in the Hive had been awed by your performances, the legend that you were carefully crafting. Tales of the psider, the bio-titan, the Tyrants in the depths. You had had to turn away many gifts - but you had kept the secrets and favors.

quote:

“Yes, quite. Want to try that again?”
“You are the one who killed them, you monster!” His voice was thick with rage.
“Mm, no.” You opened the folder, held it in a way he couldn’t see. “This says your shuttle left this planet about nine hours ago. You deployed a virus aboard your ship, and then returned. Why did you do it?”
He looked flabbergasted. “What? No. No! I was with my Family! The ship came to us!” His face hardened. “Your ship! Your monster came to us!” Interesting.
“Please, what makes you think it was my monster?”
He spat the words. “Everyone knows about your Psider. You conquered in the dark and made it your own. You are a psyker and a mutant and used your daemonic powers to kill my Family.”

You did give Kozilek full information though

quote:

The data transfer complete, you carefully handed the dataslate over. In it was all your notes, memos, speculations, analysis. It was all the information you wouldn’t trust to the Astropath, wrapped in the most powerful crypto and self destruct mechanism you could manage. Everything you had collected on Mother, biological data on the psider, Limosa’s habits and movements, and detailed reports on the Abraxus’ cult. It was quite comprehensive, including various amounts of footage, photos, maps, recordings. With that accomplished, you said

and who can forget

quote:

Slice of Life XVI

If you are a little braver and little crazier than most Dregs, you live near the engines of the ship. Not because of the radiation or cosmic energies or something like that - that’s all Mysteries to you. Instead, it’s because of the wildlife that happens to grow up there. Now, most people would say ‘oh, the wildlife is weird because of the radiation. Mutation rates are higher and so forth.’

That’s not it at all.

See, the Magos aboard ship is a Magos Biologis.

Their thing is xenos, mutants, aberrations, all the life that can come from carbon based lifeforms. (Silicon based life is a grey area). In addition to vivisecting, dicing, chopping, or grafting different species, the Magos spends quite a lot of time trying to create new forms of life useful to the Imperium. Or, at least, interesting to them. ‘Useful’ can justify a lot of weirdness, when it comes to Magos.

Sometimes the Magos has a great success. Usually, though, its a failed life, something that dies in hours, or can’t walk, or just moans piteously in its own slime. These get dumped down the chute. A column some fifty meters deep and five wide, its stuffed to the brim with all the weird things that have been created. They cling to the wall, or crawl over each other, or flap malformed wings. Some of them make it to the bottom of the chute, and thats where you come in.

A Dreg that is a little bit braver and a little bit crazier can harvest these failed creations. Sometimes you find a new method of making ink, or a long burning torch, or whatever - and your family is set for life. Usually, its some trash that might get you through the week. Sometimes, though - being braver just means you find something of crimson fur and teeth.

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jun 16, 2015

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

JT Jag posted:

Voting this, though one wonders what the vast majority of the ship who don't know we have Fabiyan's soul think we're growing him a body for.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sniper4625 posted:

Voting this, though one wonders what the vast majority of the ship who don't know we have Fabiyan's soul think we're growing him a body for.
So there's something in the casket when people visit, I can only assume.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Imperium does a lot of corpse-worship, to be honest.

edit: Ha. I missed the obvious - Matthais was one of the first to get a psider net, and he is inside the Quarantine. He also personally participated in the battle with the psider.

ElrondHubbard posted:

What are the chances we could search the treasury / secret vault for a null rod?

Waci says odds are high.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 17, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

This is the best plan.

What are the chances we could search the treasury / secret vault for a null rod?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Trying to learn some new photoshop stuff, thought I'd work on something for the chapel:

Majority of credit goes to the unnamed commisionee, of course.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Epiiiiiiiiic

Since its come up in chat, what kind of banner/heraldry is the sign of our dynasty? Current ideas are crimson for Mechanicus, navy blue for the Family, and brass for the Church. Maybe making use of symbols of gears, the twin headed eagle, and the big =][= .

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 17, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Wouldn't having the =][= on our heraldry be a bit odd, since most people don't know we're an inquisitor?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Say, LowellDND, about the quarantine in the engines. There are murder servitors and skitarii, and I assume things are locked, but are there barricades and fortifications? And if so, which way are they facing? As far as we can tell on the bridge, are the engines still running? Are things that would require frequent maintenance still functioning as they would if maintained?

Is the quarantine meant to keep things out, or keep them in? :ohdear:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
I don't know about the dynasty's heraldry, but Ohone's personal heraldry should be a tech-priest walking away from a mushroom cloud.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

Say, LowellDND, about the quarantine in the engines. There are murder servitors and skitarii, and I assume things are locked, but are there barricades and fortifications? And if so, which way are they facing? As far as we can tell on the bridge, are the engines still running? Are things that would require frequent maintenance still functioning as they would if maintained?

Is the quarantine meant to keep things out, or keep them in? :ohdear:

The guards (skitarri and servitors) are in the interior of the barricades. The fortifications are hastily welded hull plating used to block the corridors, and there are no known entrances. The engines are still running. Things inside the quarantine that require maintenance appear to still be maintained.

engine - skitarrri ]-barricades-] you

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

LowellDND posted:

A few of your Astropaths and Navigators were powerful enough to go on patrols - one proposal was to send them with companies of troops, target the concealer xeno, and then engage to combat as normal.

It's the only real plan we have right now. Get our lab up and growing new psider neural tissue as fast as can be managed. Albeit in batch sizes no greater than a few grams each. Don't want to risk making a psychically active brain.

Edit: ↓↓↓ Derp, forgot to mention that part. The patrols are instructed to capture specimens, corpses, or xenos equipment wherever possible. The more information we gather, the better we can plan the counterattack.

Tran fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jun 17, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Do you have a particular location you want to go for, or is it just generic 'find some guys, shoot em'?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Lets get us some samples to do :science: on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

The guards (skitarri and servitors) are in the interior of the barricades. The fortifications are hastily welded hull plating used to block the corridors, and there are no known entrances. The engines are still running. Things inside the quarantine that require maintenance appear to still be maintained.

engine - skitarrri ]-barricades-] you
I don't suppose that, if we got close enough to the engines again, we could try to get an idea of what's happening by doing our technomancer thing? Of course, the defenses around the electronics of the Engine have been set up by not only this Magos, who is far more experienced than us, but by generations of Magos(es? Magosii?) adding layer after layer of security protocols, so it'd be hard as hell.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

I don't suppose that, if we got close enough to the engines again, we could try to get an idea of what's happening by doing our technomancer thing? Of course, the defenses around the electronics of the Engine have been set up by not only this Magos, who is far more experienced than us, but by generations of Magos(es? Magosii?) adding layer after layer of security protocols, so it'd be hard as hell.

Hard as hell describes that whole endeavor, yeah.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Also the fact that the Skitarii probably wouldn't react well to our attempt to breach quarantine.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Lowell, I don't suppose there's an unbroken line of functioning ship systems running from the Alpha Deck all the way to the Engines?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Waci says odds are high.

We should grab a null rod.

It'll always come in handy, especially when dealing with psykers (like the incredibly powerful one trying to take over our ship). While we're there, we might find some other goodies as well.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

Lowell, I don't suppose there's an unbroken line of functioning ship systems running from the Alpha Deck all the way to the Engines?

Maybe probably? Itll be hard to find though, all the obvious routes have been cut off/blockaded.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Maybe probably? Itll be hard to find though, all the obvious routes have been cut off/blockaded.
In our rare moments of off time I'd like Ohone to take up the hobby of... meditating while on the Alpha Deck. What she will actually be doing is extending her senses into the machines around her. Not only will she be interfacing with the machines of the Alpha Deck, but ideally of being able to, in theory, stretching out her senses, one step at a time, going further and further until, eventually, she can hack or interface with the machine spirits anywhere on the ship from the convenience of home. By doing this, we might be able to track the location of these xenos by the pattern of the areas where they are destroying sensors. Or try to hack the engine from the Alpha Deck, thus potentially bypassing certain layers of security that are triggered only when people get too close.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

JT Jag posted:

This.

And, get the Null Rod

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

The problem with that plan is the fact that we've seen a day in the life of the Magos. She's already done it, and has had a head start of many years.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

How many of the Magos' defenses could we potentially circumvent with our Rosette?

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

In our rare moments of off time I'd like Ohone to take up the hobby of... meditating while on the Alpha Deck. What she will actually be doing is extending her senses into the machines around her. Not only will she be interfacing with the machines of the Alpha Deck, but ideally of being able to, in theory, stretching out her senses, one step at a time, going further and further until, eventually, she can hack or interface with the machine spirits anywhere on the ship from the convenience of home. By doing this, we might be able to track the location of these xenos by the pattern of the areas where they are destroying sensors. Or try to hack the engine from the Alpha Deck, thus potentially bypassing certain layers of security that are triggered only when people get too close.

That plan will probably take too long to be meaningful at the present juncture, but is a great long term goal we can work at once the Magos is dealt with. As Tran said, the Magos knows the ship way better than we do and has a pretty much insurmountable lead on us. We can't win in a direct confrontation of hacking.

If we wanna breach the quarantine, we'll have to think outside the box. Unconventional ideas like breaking in from outside the ship, teleportation (either ourselves, a team, or a sensor and communications array), or using a scrap code generator (tech heresy) would be examples (not necessarily good ones) of some approaches we could take.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

"Scrap code generator"?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The null rod is only going to gently caress us up more than the Magos. He's a biologist, so he's gotta have backup systems that we don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Anticheese posted:

"Scrap code generator"?

Crude hardware that injects gray goo viruses into the target network, if I'm not mistaken.

Edit: Do not try to break the drat quarantine until absolutely clear that we need to. It is such a bad idea I mean goddamn.