Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

Ah, the Amacita route

I was thinking more the greedy CEO route. Want to retain an employee but not actually pay them more or give them more power? Promote them to VP of something meaningless.

Meet the Lord-Sire's production quotas for 5 years and YOU TOO can go from Dreg to Peon.

Much more honorable. You get a shiny pin and everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

paragon1 posted:

I was thinking more the greedy CEO route. Want to retain an employee but not actually pay them more or give them more power? Promote them to VP of something meaningless.

Meet the Lord-Sire's production quotas for 5 years and YOU TOO can go from Dreg to Peon.

Much more honorable. You get a shiny pin and everything.

I like it. We can call the Advanced Dregs... Drippings.

But seriously, I think getting our house in order from the top-down only is a bad idea. We should also do this bottom-up approach. I think it would be a good thing, and would also give us spies/allies in the Deeps if nothing else, so we can keep our ship in line better.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

Gene-sniffers to counter stealthers. We have samples, we might be able to use gene-sniffers to find them.
-I like the idea of using gene sniffers and other sensors to pinpoint general areas of activity and concern.

-Vent the Oil into space to put out the fire and recover it afterward

If recovery from space isn't possible, then send disposable people to try to heroically put out the fire along with some murder servitors equipped with psider gear.

paragon1 posted:

Withdraw non-combatants to Alpha Deck and the Shallows. Turn the Deeps into a trapped killing field full of mines and pitfalls and tripwires and such. Put sensors and watchers on the traps and fill any area a trap goes off with weapons fire. Setup hard points to launch assaults into Between from. Drusians hold the Deeps. Space Kriegers assault Between with Psykers. Sub-sixers hold Alpha deck.

-Also this.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Attach psyker support to subsix troops at defensive positions bunkered up on Alpha Deck and the shallows. Evacuaate as many civilians as possible, then depressurize the Deeps to kill the fire. Attach whatever tech-adepts or junior enginseers we have to krieg units to perform deep strikes. Each such tech-adept is to operate a gene sniffer or auspex and act as a spotter. Deploy every last suppressive weapon we have to the strike teams, ideally issuing one per every two or three riflemen. General combat plan is for the tech-adepts to mark the enemy location and direct fire. The sheer output of fire from the heavy stubbers and other squad support weapons will likely be enough to hit the skirmishers.

Primary mission goal will be to locate and relay the location of the xeno leader. Ohone will head up the team tasked with elminating it, relying on the null rod to keep our team from succumbing to that psychic scream.

Tran fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 18, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Aren't the deeps kind of the lower, non-important levels, in between ships in the space hulks - I remember during the racing segment there were some sections exposed to space, the gravity eddies, etc.

If this is still the case, we're missing out on one of the biggest guard assets, and that's airspace mobility.

Lots of heavy guns I less about volume and more about how many you can bring to bear any time.

Also things like psy dampers/jammers, psyk-out grenades and other tech solutions to psyker problems exist.

The first thing to do would be to apply those to protecting psykers and navigators, and thus what configuration shields them from the aliens mental noise, then apply that to the offensive side.

Sooner we get navigation back sooner we gfto.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The deeps are where most of our civilians live. In between ships is literally called in between.

Most of our hostile infestation is currently in between, they are attempting to burn us out of the Deeps or deny us resources there.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I really wanna stop
But I just gotta taste for it
I feel like I could fly with kriegers on the moon
Fabian hold my hand you like making me wait for it
I feel I could die depressurizing the room, oh yeah

Late night watching servitorvision
But how we get in this position?
It's way too soon, I know this isn't love
But I need to tell you something

I really really really really really need to vent you
And I vent you, do you vent me, do you vent me, too?

Oh, did I say too much?
I'm so implanted
When we're stryxis touched

It's like everything you say is a sweet revelation
All I wanna do is get you all in my head
Yeah we could stay alone, you and me, and this temptation
Sipping on heresy, sanity on a thread, baby

Late night watching servitorvision
But how we get in this position?
It's way too soon, I know this isn't love
But I need to tell you something

Oh, did I say too much?
I'm so implanted

Magos gave you eyes like that?
Said you could keep them
I don't know how to act
The way I should be venting
I'm running out of time
Going out of my mind
I need to tell you something
Yeah, I need to tell you something

Oh, did I say too much?
I'm so implanted

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Number One on the Charts in North Korea

:allears:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

:allears: At some point you should make a master post of all these songs.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

If we can work out a safe route through which to vent the air from the oil reserve, great. Otherwise we can just mass produce filament bulbs.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Principle

“Do you think I’m doing the right thing?”
“The part where you worked with xeno or where you went against the natural order?”
“Either. Or any of the rest of it.”
“Is this you choose as your conscience? A Krieg Commissar?” He teased.
You punched his shoulder. “Be serious. You know about making hard decisions, but you know not to cross lines.”
He met your eyes. His blue eyes were always the softest you had ever seen. “Okay. What’s worrying you?”
“Just… I’m going all out at this point. Youngest Lord-Sire in generations, youngest Magos, so on and so on. I get to make the final decision on whether it’s heretical or not. You know Siadwell. He had a daemonhost in a box, yet still viewed himself as fighting the cause. Was he right or wrong?”
Fabiyan was silent for a while as you watched the waves. “It can hard sometimes, to tell. Sometimes you just do what the mission requires, and people afterwards say it was right or wrong.”
“But who watches those people?”
He almost smiled. Sadly. “Other people.”
You sighed. “That’s a terrible system.”
“Have faith Ohone. That’s all you can really do, in the end.”
“I made a deal with xenos, to use xenotech, to participate in a possible heresy, and also went back in time. A lot of people would say that breaks the natural laws and the God-Emperor’s Will.”
“Do you think you could go against the God-Emperor’s Will?”
“ ‘ The problem of evil’ ? I know this one Fabiyan.”
“Okay, how about this. Do you want to go against the God-Emperor’s Will?”
“No, absolutely not.” Your voice was firm.
“Well, that’s a good start. Not that some heretics aren’t believers, but that tells us you aren’t one of the Fallen, right?”
“I suppose.”
“Why did you do those things?”
“Mission accomplishment.”
“Was it accomplished?”
“Almost. They are still growing your body. And I may have made a cult of the Imperial Creed that worships you for the Drusians.”
He stared at you.
You replied defensively. “Well, how else could I explain your return? That I used xeno-heresy?”
“Fair point. So what are you doing now?”
“Xeno infestation.”
He perked up, looked interested. “What kind?”
“Dunno yet. My advisors want to burn down the ship though, just to be sure.”
“The Kriegers?”
“Drusians.”
“Ah. They would.”
“See, this is why we need you back. You are the most subtle of all of us.”
He almost laughed. “A commissar, the most subtle. What is the world coming to.”
“Fabiyan.” He looked at you. “What if I go bad? Like, all the bad. Like Siadwell, or someone worse.”
He kissed your forehead. “I know you. You won’t.”
“I’ve killed like fifty thousand of my own people since getting back.”
“Ohone, I’ve probably lead three million Kriegers to their deaths.”
“That many?”
“Yeah. They give us the hardest jobs, after all. You do what you can, but you are going to lose people.”
You paused thoughtfully “But if I do go bad? Start to enjoy killing Imperial citizens. My Family has a really bad history in some places.” You looked up at him. "What would you do if I become a heretic?”
“Well, I suppose I would have to shoot you.”
“You’d shoot me? Where?”
He pointed at your forehead. “Right there. You wouldn’t feel a thing.”
You curled your head on his shoulder. “Thank you.”

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
^^^^^^^^^^
:3: :3: :3: That is too drat cute.

I don't remember signing up for X-COM: 40K.

First six - armed Sectoids and now big melee Mutons.

Deadmeat5150 fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Jun 18, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I don't remember signing up for X-COM: 40K.

First six - armed Sectoids and now big melee Mutons.

Next up, chrysalids :unsmigghh:

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
:kimchi: In the grim darkness of the far future it takes a Krieger Commissar to really appreciate love

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
a jesus getting me all bleary eyed Lowell. In the grim dark 40k universe love still shines brightly. I like it, if you kill them I will be very sad.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lazaruise posted:

a jesus getting me all bleary eyed Lowell. In the grim dark 40k universe love still shines brightly. I like it, if you kill them I will be very sad.

I literally did a 30 page miniarc just to bring one of them back :D :3:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Next up, chrysalids :unsmigghh:

The Xeno was inside us all along.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Lowell, can we take a free action to consult the Brain boxes in the attic about the Bugs as well as the Iron hands?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Fire

It came in a wave, a tsunami, a wall. Millions of gallons of whale oil, the secured and fortified drums that had held it sabotaged by shadowy figures. A simple spark was all it took, in a ship-based city where open air grilling and fire-eaters were an ongoing attraction. The wall became liquid flame, rolling over all it came across.

Some people were covered in oil and ignited, left to scream and burn as they ran about. Others became trapped under the surface fire, trying to breath oil, filling their lungs. The oil swept over everything, and in an instant a hundred thousand Dregs became a panicked mob. Trying to run from the fire that was consuming everything.

Everyone knew the doctrine. When the Lord-Sire heard about a ship fire, they would vent the section to space, removing all oxygen from the fire. Therefore, getting to the Shallows (and the pressure/blast door that was even now getting orders to close) was a matter of life and death. Thousands were crushed underfoot by the hysterical mob.

The Drusian priests stopped where they stood, a thousand fanatics receiving messages from Above. New orders, new information. The doors would remain open for ten minutes, at both the Shallows and the Alpha Deck. The mob calmed down (slightly), rushing for the exits. The fire continued to spread, immolating buildings that had stood for generations. The sheer heat burned hundreds to death, and the smoke killed thousands more. The air recyclers strained with the effort.

Families were struck with the awful decision - go forward, hope that children were in the right direction? Or go back, and try to rescue them? Hundred more died in the indecision, and hundreds more died as they went back to rescue (or loot) possessions. Being poor on a Rogue Trader ship was no life for anyone.

The vast blast doors began closing. Thousands were still in the Deeps, a hideous mindless cacophony, sprinting for safety. Kriegers watched them emotionlessly, and once they started to slow the crushing doors with their bodies, they were shredded by heavy bolters. The massive gears stalled, then continued, closing the doors with finality.

The thousands in the Deeps looked up to the ceiling. Some cried, or screamed. Many prayed, or reached for loved ones. A faint whistling sound, and the door to the outside opened. Kilotons of oxygen rushed into the void, carrying thousands of Dregs, millions of gallons of oil. Hundreds of Dregs were swept into the void, to die of cold or pressure or asphyxiation. The fire died for lack of air, and the doors were shut once again. Those who had survived fell dozens of meters, impacting the deck wetly.

The Deeps were not re-oxygenated, and the vents and doors remained closed. The fight here would be held in darkness and cold.

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Jun 18, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Organize everyone, every survivor to focus on the Light of Emperor and pray for deliverance. One prayer, the Drusians will have one and will whip the survivors out of their despair. Repeated enmass by the emotional crew, it will drive out the fear and, if lucky enough, create a psychic field that will push back at the Queen.

The beast preys on fear. The light of the Emperor shines on us all Xeno. We have no fear. One Ship. One Crew. One Emperor.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Arkanomen posted:

Organize everyone, every survivor to focus on the Light of Emperor and pray for deliverance. One prayer, the Drusians will have one and will whip the survivors out of their despair. Repeated enmass by the emotional crew, it will drive out the fear and, if lucky enough, create a psychic field that will push back at the Queen.

The beast preys on fear. The light of the Emperor shines on us all Xeno. We have no fear. One Ship. One Crew. One Emperor.

Agreed. Let the terrified Dregs feel as though they are contributing in some small way, and the Emperor rewards the faithful.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

While that might help morale, it'd require that we have multiple unsanctioned psykers on board to actually have any further impact.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Are you questioning the Emperor's power, or his benevolence towards humanity? :commissar:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Krieg

Stop me if you’ve heard this one. A few centuries ago, there was this prosperous Hive World. Billions of loyal Imperial citizens, specializing in manufacturing and trade for the good of the Imperium. But their debauched and decadent leaders decided they didn’t need the God-Emperor’s light, instead choosing the heathen ways of heresy and rebellion. They demanded subservience to the new regime, a regime of evil, and it was granted to them. Soon, all but one hive city had fallen from the God-Emperor’s Grace.

Colonel Jurten was the last remaining loyal officer, and he knew that he couldn’t hold the city against such odds. He knew, too, that the heretics couldn’t be allowed to hold the territory they had taken, for such would hurt the Imperium more than just their loss. On the Feast of the Emperor’s Ascension, he activated the nuclear weapon stores of the Hive in a day that was known as ‘The Purging’.

Billions died in the initial fire. Billions more died in the halting of trade, the crash of the ecosystem, the nuclear winter. Starvation and radiation poison and cancer killed as many as artillery shells, because the war still wasn’t over. The survivors knew their side - serving the traitorous Governors, or the loyal Colonel Jurten. And so the war continued, in trenches and bunkers, chemical and nuclear weapons, suicide bombers and plague weapons and all the nightmares that Humanity could imagine.

The war continued for five centuries. When the loyalists had finally won, Krieg was born.

So when you ordered your Krieg units to make the Deeps unavailable to the xeno-enemy, they knew what to do.

Water and nutrition pipes were destroyed and welded shut. Claymore mines were placed in every thoroughfare. The SLUDGE in the vents were told to activate whenever they sensed oxygen. Ignition traps were placed in the lakes of whale oil - when oxygen hit it, the fields would flare up once again. Sensor pads were reconnected, with extensive traps placed whenever they were approached.

Food stores were laced with blister agents, landmines placed under the bodies of the dead. A thousand tripwires were connected to a thousand grenades. Ten thousand lumen spotlights examined every aspect of the Deeps, turning it into a nightmare morass of blades, poison, and death. Every method, modern and primitive, were implemented. The Dead Decks, still occupied by Tribes wearing their ceremonial purity suits, were fortified into deeper bunkers.

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jun 18, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If the deeps turns into the Beast's take on the Vietnam war who'd be Henry Kissinger?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Shallows

At the entrance to the Beast is a small town, established as a tourist trap for whatever pilgrims were being transited that year. It had a thousand little shrines, a thousand charlatans and people whose faith was, at best, spotty. As a general rule, it could support about ten thousand people at any given time - people who chose to stay longer would go to the Deeps.

When the Drusians had arrived, they had torn the place apart for heresy. Buildings were torched or torn down, faux-saints broken and scattered. It had become the look of a dump or an abandoned storage room, with bodies that hadn’t made it to the processors yet. Indeed, it had nearly been emptied out, immolated in the pyre of the Drusians’ faith. They had begun their cult with a vengeance, and the Cathedral on the other side of the ship was the central place of faith.

As was said, it could support around ten thousand people.

As was said, it currently held around one hundred and fifty thousand.

Standing room only, of course. The waste processing units were quickly overwhelmed, with people barely able to move. The old bits of food were devoured within hours, and every sound of explosion and gunfire from the Deeps made them tremble all the more. It was nearly twenty four hours before the Lord-Sire had set up new pipes through her personal train line, connecting the processors to the Shallows. Once a day, it would pour water in vast amounts, both as a shower and as a means of hydrating the dregs. Once a day, it would pour liquid nutrients. Enough to live on, perhaps, but badly distributed. People began dying standing up, even as diseases began to spread.

And the war for the ship continued.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

The mood on the Beast is grim. It is flooded in darkness. There's only war aboard it.

You could probably make an advertising slogan out of that.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anticheese posted:

The mood on the Beast is grim. It is flooded in darkness. There's only war aboard it.

You could probably make an advertising slogan out of that.

'Send more tourists'

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

'The Trip of a Lifetime'

Lifetime, and disembarkation time may vary.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anticheese posted:

'The Trip of a Lifetime'

Lifetime, and disembarkation time may vary.

Your kids will love it!

They wont leave either. Try 4-5 generations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Task Winterswijk with organising a more efficient way to keep the refugees alive. Get the Drusians to both maintain order and sanity by leading frequent, organised prayer sessions, attendance mandatory. Start also providing antiobiotics, by chute if necessary.

This is painfully inefficient.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Task miss Winterswijk with managing refugee logistics. Seneschals live and breath this sort of thing.

Waci posted:

Task Winterswijk with organising a more efficient way to keep the refugees alive. Get the Drusians to both maintain order and sanity by leading frequent, organised prayer sessions, attendance mandatory. Start also providing antiobiotics, by chute if necessary.

This is painfully inefficient.

Yeah, that.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Have our psykers go through the Shallows to make sure none of the Skirmishers slipped in.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

As an aside, Ohone isnt being a psychotic dictator here, shes running disaster managment in the middle of a war. She literally laid 8km+ of pipes in 24 hours, enough to feed and water 150,000 people. Thats a goddamn miracle, it is.

(not a criticism of the Winterswiljk plan, just explaining a post in better detail so she doesnt appear out of character)

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Arkanomen posted:

The last time they rose was when the traitor Lordsire allied with Tzeenech and got a group of chaos space marines to purge them out.

Which traitor was this, Anastasia de Vocht? By the knowledge of her own father, we know that she turned traitor because she was a psyker and she didn't want the Black Ships going after her, and that she sold the Staff of Ching Shih for that deal. We also know that her father views her as being responsible for the Darkness, and that he doesn't seem to remember even hearing legends of "Darkness" before her, while he also confirmed the bulk of the stories of the Darkness we've heard (which, again, finger Anastasia de Vocht as the originator of the Darkness).

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Alpha Deck

The central and most important fortress of the Dynasty, Alpha Deck was a bunker of historic proportions. It had protected the Bridge and the Officer quarters for eight thousand years. It had resisted a hundred coups and mutinies. It was the centerpiece of a tripod war between Church, Engines, and Bridge for literally a century. Lord-Sire Di Mucio had fortified it even more with his experiences in the Cadian military. And then Devries had increased it even further, in his planned defense on the Krieg.

The Kriegers took one look at this, shook their heads, and got to work.

The Dregs lucky enough to make it to Alpha Deck were immediately drafted into building a Krieg style fortress. Every step a trip, every glance a trap, deceptions and counterbalances and false withdrawals. Your officer corps became terrified to even leave their rooms, and needed Krieg guides to make it to their posts. While they were gone, their rooms were also trapped extensively. They didn’t need space that could be occupied with weapons and ammo.

Sandbags and razorwire started spontaneously generating.

Explosives under floor tiles. Explosives on electrical switches. Chemical weapons that came out of lights. Room switches that activated emergency decompression. Internal bulkheads layered over and over again with steel. Sensor pods, also with their own explosives. Fake and obvious traps. Fake and hidden traps. Obvious real traps. Hidden real traps.

Gas masks become mandatory, as SLUDGE was pumped through the vents at random intervals. Blister, flash, and smoke grenades were thrown into offices as parts of weapon drills. Weapons and ammo were in every room, every intersections. Walls were knocked down, ceilings were knocked down, floors were ripped up. Alpha Deck become a three dimensional killzone of heavy machine guns, mortars, and chemical weapons. They even secured several fusion bombs, to be used in the event of a total loss.

Priorities were given to waste processing, the food vats, the processors, and the Bridge, but one could hardly tell. Indeed, one could hardly tell where they were even were, let alone that they were being protected more than other locations. And of course, there were the false fortified positions, whose only contents were even more explosives.

The Kriegers had been very busy waiting for you to finish your Trial. Now they got to show their hand.

In multiple locations, zero grav three dimensional drills were held, waiting for the order to go forward. Regiments of Drusians, supported by murder-servitors and arco-flagellants, chanted hymns, performed days of ceremonies beneath the healing body of Saint Fabiyan. Weapons production continued, the private stores of the Family being opened up, and the Grey Guards watched the entrances with night vision goggles.

What do you do?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I hope there's at least one nice banquet/reception room left mostly untouched in Alpha Deck. Gotta keep up appearances.

Of course, that room will be trapped to hell and back too, just more subtly.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
No. We can host visitors in Alpha Fortress.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current status:

Engines - Quarantined
Alpha Deck - secured to Krieger standards
Church - secured to Krieger standards
Barracks - secured to Krieger standards
Shallows - humanitarian disaster
Deeps - dead man's land
Between - unknown.

So, you currently are holding around 25% of the Beast. Between is around 40%, and the Deeps are another 35 or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Hey, 25% of the EXPLORED Beast.