Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Waci posted:

Hey, 25% of the EXPLORED Beast.

Everything is fiiiiiine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Have Faith. And see the the Iron Hands about a Xeno problem.

We begin to push back into the lost zones while putting together a strike force to assault the Engine bays/nest from outside the ship with Iron Hands.

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009
Lets get our radiation scrub done now theres a bit of a stalemate going things arent going to be moving much anytime soon and I think we will be able to do more once we arent a walking radiation hazard

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
We're not a hazard to anyone with our armour on.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life XLVII

You were rather sure you were under-appreciated.

Stuck in the literal middle of nowhere. Not ‘oh, we’re in a backwater nowhere’, no, light-years from the nearest star. No one to trade with or make deals, no one to work with get what you need. Just vast emptiness and whatever is leftover in your stores and scribbled over-archives.

The last week had seen you the most ridiculous requests you have ever heard of. “Eleonora, could you be a dear? We need ten kilometers of half meter piping, and the screws to put it together. And you can’t damage any of the recyclers, and it actually has to connect the recyclers to the Shallows, because we put one hundred and fifty thousand Dreg in there because it was funny. Also, you can’t use anything in the Deeps.”

Well, you had stripped all the vehicles of their gun barrels (not like you’d need them to drive around inside the ship), and made a ten kilometer pipe. Not even a thanks or even getting noticed, it was just on to the next task. The Kriegers wanted several thousand tons of dirt. Why? Why not. You dug up some of the old records and opened up a vault that had never sold after being bought from an Agricultural world.

And then the Commissars wanted razor wire and more hull plating. You had the interior hulls of the warehouses stripped to reinforce the walls on Alpha Deck, and then started running floor plating through Church metal cutters. Alpha Deck got its wire, but the warehouses were starting to look rather cadaverous. It would be quite a while before the ship was good for transit or war, but making money was a problem for ‘Future-Winterswijk’. Let her deal with it.

Oh. Good. Lord-Sire was concerned about the Dregs they had stuffed into the Shallows for funsies, and wanted to make sure they were getting their antibiotics. By the God-Emperor, they were making GBS threads where they were standing! And you thought antibiotics would help? They needed not to be crammed into such a tight place for days at a time. When you asked when they might be let out, Lord-Sire had just rolled her eyes. Lord-Sires, bah. Barmy, the lot of them.

Hmm… what if you opened up the Lord-Sire’s train to the Dregs? She had already opened up Alpha Deck, so it would probably work. Quick bit of welding, get a staircase set up from the Shallows to the private docks… yes. That would spread them out, and give you more time to think of something for the next emergency.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Siege

You rubbed your temples irritably. “Is that screaming ever going to stop?”
Limosa smiled humorlessly, looking at you with bloodshot eyes. “Its a psyker weapon, so probably not.”
“And it’s been going for … what, a month?”
“Yeah. You’ve only just started hearing it in the last few days.”
You closed your eyes. “Okay. How can we make it stop?”
“The usual. Find the source, blow it up.”
“But psykers can’t get close, you said.”
“Yeah. And psykers would be best at finding where it was.”
You both grunted a laugh. No one was getting any sleep - everyone was looking haggard. The xenos didn’t even need to attack if they kept doing psyops like this for a few more weeks.
“Is there anything else we can do?”
“I commanded all the Dregs to sing hymns loudly.”
You stared at him, nonplussed. “Really?”
“Yeah. Enough pilgrims, enough Faith, might be a buffer against it.”
“Hope so.”
“Or Saint Fabiyan could rise and save us all.” He glanced pointedly at your shrine, almost fully healed.
“I’m sure he’ll get right on that. What else do we have?”
“Well, we found ‘the one without nightmares’. Everyone would hate him just for that, he’s the only one who has gotten sleep since this started. But he’s an awful person in general.”
“Yeah? How so?”
“Doesn’t bathe. Eats garbage. Shits wherever he feels like. Will spit on anyone. He’s worse than a pack animal or scavenger.”
“Ugly too?”
“Yeah, he looks like he’d steal from his mother. I’d shoot him on principle. I’m surprised you haven’t.”
“Might just be the miracle I’m looking for.”
“If he’s not, please let me kill him.”
“Done.”
You rubbed your eyes, considered. Where did you want to attack? And how?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Ok, suggesting a plan.

None of our psykers can get close enough to the xenos alpha to tell us exactly where it is. However, they can tell which direction it is in from further away.

We have multiple psykers strong enough to stay awake despite the screaming. We wake up Edourd, Limosa, the head navigator, and the head astropath at the same time, and send them to flank around where they feel the psychic presence coming from but to approach no closer than they can without exploding. Send two thousand kriegers with each of them. This would leave 10 000 in reserve/to defend Alpha Deck, while still giving each of our psykers a considerable fighting force.

We take ourself, the 10 Iron Hands, and our blank, and the best-armed company of our subsixers (the 100 that have actual carapace armour which can be environmentally sealed and work as a void suit if they grab rebreathers) and head for the big psyker. We can get an approximate location from our psykers now, look at ship maps for probable locations in that region of the ship, and we can use information from the four psykers to triangulate a more precise location once they get closer.

A blank would make us effectively immune to the psychic fuckery that has been the xeno's best advantage, and as soon as we either kill or even just get the blank near the source of the psychic screaming, our 4 psykers and their kriegers push closer to help us.

Additionally, order the Drusians in the shallows to prepare those of them who have actually useful amounts of training, which Lowell said would be about 20k of them, into groups led by the priests and any minor miracle-workers they might have among themselves. Identify the five strongest psykers among those that aren't strong enough to be awake for significant lengths of time now but might be after we take out the primary source fo the screaming, and assign each to a group of 2000 kriegers.

One psyker + their assigned kriegers will stay behind to defend Alpha Deck and to maintain order there, supported by the Drusians, but if we manage to take out or disable Scream Source Alpha, 4 of the 5 groups of kriegers with their psyker support will push into the Between after us to reinforce us and help us secure the first part of it.

Waci fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 18, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waci posted:

Ask Limosa if they could try to figure out the approximate location of the big xenos psyker.

Within ~500 meters, a location in the rear of the ship, possibly in the farther sections of Between.

edit: When heading for the screamer, do you want to go through Between the entire way, or stick the Deeps as much as possible, leaving only at the end?

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jun 18, 2015

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

Within ~500 meters, a location in the rear of the ship, possibly in the farther sections of Between.

if they can locate the enemy psyker this precisely, we should aim to retake a torpedo battery or at least the torpedo stores and just nuke the site. How far are either of those locations from our current front lines?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sheep-dodger posted:

if they can locate the enemy psyker this precisely, we should aim to retake a torpedo battery or at least the torpedo stores and just nuke the site. How far are either of those locations from our current front lines?

All the Tribal gunners are in bunkers in the Deeps. And, everything is within 8 kilometers as a straight line.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Keep Limosa in the dark on this plan. Use our Null Rod, take the null with us and a few companies of Space Kriegers. Suit up and blast this xenos scum.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

edit: When heading for the screamer, do you want to go through Between the entire way, or stick the Deeps as much as possible, leaving only at the end?

We go through the deeps. Bring the necessary kriegers with our group too. Consider the route for the second wave when we see the situation with the screamer, tell them to be prepared for either.

Anticheese posted:

Keep Limosa in the dark on this plan. Use our Null Rod, take the null with us and a few companies of Space Kriegers. Suit up and blast this xenos scum.

Why would we keep Limosa in the dark about his plan? We have no reason to hide it form him, and in any case we need him to tell us where it is.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Waci posted:

Ok, suggesting a plan.
:words:

Works for me.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

“I’m sure he’ll get right on that. What else do we have?”
“Well, we found ‘the one without nightmares’. Everyone would hate him just for that, he’s the only one who has gotten sleep since this started. But he’s an awful person in general.”
“Yeah? How so?”
“Doesn’t bathe. Eats garbage. Shits wherever he feels like. Will spit on anyone. He’s worse than a pack animal or scavenger.”
“Ugly too?”
“Yeah, he looks like he’d steal from his mother. I’d shoot him on principle. I’m surprised you haven’t.”
“Might just be the miracle I’m looking for.”
“If he’s not, please let me kill him.”
“Done.”
Ah. A blank.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Waci posted:

We go through the deeps. Bring the necessary kriegers with our group too. Consider the route for the second wave when we see the situation with the screamer, tell them to be prepared for either.

Why would we keep Limosa in the dark about his plan? We have no reason to hide it form him, and in any case we need him to tell us where it is.

Fair enough. I was just thinking about keeping an ace in the hole there.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

My understanding of the plan:

Part 1: 4 best psykers, each with 2k Krieg, enter between to triangulate. 10k krieg at Alpha Deck (to include church, processors, reclaimers, bridge, and recyclers)
Part 2: Identify source of screamer. Take yourself, 10 iron hands, blank, HQ of subsixers and head for decapitation strike.
Part 3: Reserve force of 20k Drusians, 5 Drusian miracle workers will go to Alpha Deck to reinforce the 10k krieg there.
Part 4. If screamer is destroyed, bring up the 10k krieg reserve force to cleanse Between.

Correct?

Loel fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Jun 18, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

JT Jag posted:

Ah. A blank goon.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

My understanding of the plan:

Part 1: 4 best psykers, each with 2k Krieg, enter between to triangulate. 10k krieg at Alpha Deck (to include church, processors, reclaimers, bridge, and recyclers)
Part 2: Identify source of screamer. Take yourself, 10 iron hands, blank, HQ of subsixers and head for decapitation strike.
Part 3: Reserve force of 20k Drusians, 5 Drusian miracle workers will go to Alpha Deck to reinforce the 10k krieg there.
Part 4. If screamer is destroyed, bring up the 10k krieg reserve force to cleanse Between.

Correct?

Correct.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

What do you want to be doing during wave 1?

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Getting closer to the approximate location of the screamer, to the extent that the layout of the ship there allows it. Minimise the distance we have to cover to get to it after we know where it is.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Also, does the thread want to wait for Fabian to come out of his pod?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I say no. Let him come back to a secure ship.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Waci posted:

Ok, suggesting a plan.
None of our psykers can get close enough to the xenos alpha to tell us exactly where it is. However, they can tell which direction it is in from further away.

*snip*

Triangulation and artillery.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Plan Waci!

Lazaruise
Jan 25, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Also, does the thread want to wait for Fabian to come out of his pod?

I say yes just so there is someone left behind in case something goes terribly wrong (ie he doesn't come with us). Though it all depends on how close he is to exiting. If it'll take too long just go ahead with Plan Waci

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We have already gotten Fabian killed once, there is no reason to rush him into unknown danger so quickly again.
Proclaim that saint Fabian will be back once the xeno menace has been purged.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
You know, I still actually think that we should wait and see whether or not Athena is dangerously corrupt before helping her on her plans, but HiHo's own versifications have reminded me of something - and so I present:

Space Battleship Athena posted:

In a future grim and dark,
Let there be of hope a spark,
In the depths of Golgotha -

A - THE - NA!

Rising from the Underhive,
Ancient dreams she shall revive,
Saving mankind far and near,
Casting away all fear!

STCs - she shall rebuild!
Xenos scum - shall all be killed!
‘Till the forces of Man once again,
Shall live up to the Emperor’s plan!

The Emperor she shall restore,
Let him lead us all once more,
Fighting together in one last hurrah,
The ancient Earth starship -

A - THE - NA!

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
What happens if you triangulate the psy screamer and then it moves. Towards one of your triangulating psykers? :psyboom:

We shouldn't assume the screamer is also what's running the show, but least taking it out will free up your own Psykers.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Our psykers aren't dumb, they would hopefully have the good sense to move too. If they can.

TheParadigm posted:

Triangulation and artillery.

We don't have control of the ship guns, thanks to this thing. Also, it's on OUR ship, I'd rather not bomb holes in it more than we need to.

Waci fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jun 18, 2015

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

How long will it be until Fabian is back? Because him coming back to life and joining us to blow up the darkness would make a great myth/religious story.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons

Althair posted:

Cleaning machines. What I imagine is a ring device that moves on cilia, that expands or contracts to completely fill a corridor. The pieces of the ring expand and contract on hydraulics or some kind of tech. It's covered in blades and moves rapidly, "cleaning out" corridors by being a giant self propelled industrial shredder. Remember that such shredders don't require sharp blades to chew up huge objects because they grind tough objects apart.

Deploy Doomsday Roombas, the Omnissiah will bring death to the xeno scum!

Edit: needless to say such devices will bring death to those who tamper with it by a million volts, gas, and shaped directional self destruct functions in the unlikely event of systems failure

Pimping Death Roombas again because why send men when you can send a machine, the Xenos are filth let them be cleansed like dirt.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Althair posted:

why send men when you can send a machine

Because the machine wont get the job done.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
That's why you staple and weld man and machine together.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
If we yank Fabian out of his pod right after we finish, it'd be easy enough to tell the Drusians that he was there for the fighting and came at the hour of need. It's close enough time wise that they wouldn't know the difference.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Works better if some of them see it with their own eyes though, and can give their friends an eye witness account rather than just the official dogma. Let them get the idea that Saint Fabiyan has returned to do the Emperor's work in their hour of need themself.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Let Fabiyan out of the pod and have him lead from the back

That will be sufficient for the prophecy and we'll have someone we can trust backing us up in case more shenanigans arise. He can also coordinate the Kriegers, Drusians, Grey Cloaks, and everyone else against whatever the enemy throws at them while we focus on taking down the main xeno.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

ElrondHubbard posted:

Let Fabiyan out of the pod and have him lead from the back

That will be sufficient for the prophecy and we'll have someone we can trust backing us up in case more shenanigans arise. He can also coordinate the Kriegers, Drusians, Grey Cloaks, and everyone else against whatever the enemy throws at them while we focus on taking down the main xeno.
This seems like the right idea.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
It's worth noting that we're not just deciding whether or not to let Fabian out - we're deciding whether to wait for Fabian to come out. If we let Fabian out, we'll also be letting whatever is going on Between to advance its goals while we twiddle our thumbs.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
His soul also needs to be installed, and he needs to get used to his new body etc. I can easily imagine that that will take some days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Things have been quiet and the enemy seems committed to siege tactics. We apparently have several weeks before the psyker attack gets to people, so waiting for a period of time isn't going to be the end of the world, especially if we're using that time wisely and being methodical in how we go about things.

Edit:
It's worth the risk of waiting. We need to have someone who can keep an entire army organized against a determined, unpredictable foe in an environment where the situation could drastically change at a moment's notice. He will also serve as a powerful symbol that will raise morale and embolden our forces, making them less likely to falter and more likely to fight with everything they have. In the long run, his presence in our time of need will help to cement our authority aboard the ship among the faithful, making our lives much easier when dealing with the aftermath of all of this.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 18, 2015