Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

Also since it slipped my mind earlier we should probably make sure he knows Limosa is alive and well, while Siadwell is very much not.[/b]

Supported.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Yeah we need to grill DiMuzio on every weird thing he ever knew about our ship. Also about the staff.

Nthing the Waci plan.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
insert the warp spine into daddy dearest then rip the data off that interesting USB drive

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm so glad my sour grapes turned out to be just that. I'm sorry I doubted you, Lowell!

Let's Get a Selfie with Dad!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Actually, serious question here.

Quirk an amused eyebrow and say "I understand that your predecessor attempted to retire, but was spaced along with anyone else on the ship with a trace of your DNA upon your ascension, just in case. I imagine you have a very good reason to suppose that I won't follow in your footsteps?"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ready to blow (dwarves remix) by KMFDM. Tomn, ended up writing this before I saw your last question.

Precautions

You smiled amiably, even as your mind was reaching into the Machine-Spirits, redirecting the security systems. Good defenses, too. Old, expensive. Not Mars grade, but still. Very good. “I am well. How can I put this....”
He smiled back. More relaxed than you had ever seen him, actually. “How do you know I won’t make a comeback, demand my powers back? I’m out of the game.”
You raised your eyebrows. “Really. The Butcher has retired.”
Frederik laughed. “So you dug that up, did you. Did you know why I was called the Butcher?”
“Because of your bloodthirsty approach to your enemies?”
“Look who’s talking. No, I was a butcher before the Greycloaks found me.”
“The records say you were an adolescent.”
“Fine, butcher’s apprentice. I cut meat.”
“Probably gave you the arm for that first fight.”
He smiled toothily. “Well, I do like to fight.”
“But you don’t intend to fight now?”
He shrugged. “Even if I wanted to, what could I do? You have the full resources of the Ship, and have purged 70% of the populace. The survivors are fanatics who worship your husband.”
“You could still do it.”
He smiled. “Yeah, probably. Maybe. Be one hell of a challenge.”
“But you won’t?”
He stretched back in his chair, put his legs up. “Minions, come serve up some food.”
The Kriegers watched carefully as half a dozen people in red clothes approached silently, set up a dozen platters of meat and alcohol.
“You’ll get scurvy if you don’t eat your vegetables, Sire.”
Frederik laughed. “Fair point. I try to avoid them, though. I cut and grilled these myself.”
“They look quite good.” You didn’t move forward though.
He chuckled. “Come now, you think I have platters of food heated and poisoned just in case guests who happen to be the current regime come visit me? Eat the drat food, I put effort into it.”
You shrugged, sat down, nibbled some. It was quite good, actually. You said so.
“drat right. Not enough people appreciate good cooking. And all the Alpha Deck would freak out if they found out the Lord-Sire had cooked their meal. ‘Standards of rank’ or some such poo poo.”
“I must say, you’ve mellowed since we last met.”
“Well, yeah. I don’t have to fight tooth and nail every day. I can sit here and get drunk and fat like I always wanted.”
“Always?”
“Well, maybe not always.” Again that smile.
“So what are your plans?”
He rubbed grease off his face. “Continue to fake being dead. Coming back would hurt the Dynasty tremendously. If I didn’t make a move, people would think us weak. People would continue be looking to me for orders, not you. Factions would rally around me even if I didn’t want to play their games. It would be another war.”
“That agrees with my assessment as well. I killed Siadwell for you.”
Frederik smiled like a shark. “Good. Good. Worthless turd trying to take my Ship. I knew you could handle it, you are the best of your generation.”
“Limosa faked his death, sire.”
A flash of grief, of pain went across his face, was gone. “I heard. I faked it when he was alive, and he faked it when I was alive. Price of the gambit, we didn’t get to say our goodbyes.”
“Do you want me to say something…?”
“No. No. Let the dead stay dead, as they say.”
You glanced about you. “We’re going to Sol, renovating everything. Do you want to stay here?”
He shrugged. “Its a luxury liner with staff. It’s comfortable. If you want to move it to the Alpha Deck, it would fit in there, but I don’t see any reason to leave myself. Sol, eh?”
“Mars, among other things.”
“Of course. Your promotion. Congratulations, Ohone.”
“Thank you.”
His voice took on a tension you’d never heard. “Can we go to Holy Terra?”
“Certainly. I loaded up on pilgrims just for that reason.”
“Ah, your Drusians. I think, when we get there, I want to take on their robes. Walk the Holy Grounds.”
“Why? As a faceless person in my retinue, you could see the spires, the palaces…”
“I grew up a Dreg, Ohone. I’ve done the God-Emperor’s service in my life, but I want to die a Dreg, on Terra.”
You paused. “How long do you think you have?”
“Six months, a year. Enough to make it to Holy Terra, I hope.”
“I’ll make sure of it. The best technology the Mechanicus can offer.”
He smiled, a bit sadly. “Thank you Ohone.”
Frederik shifted his weight, sighed. “Now, business. I’m sure you have lots of questions.”
“Did you know about the Magos’ spine? Did you use it?”
“The xeno-warp device? Yes to both. It will give you the memories and experience of millennia of Lord-Sires, but … some people get lost using it. Some go in and just receive confusion. Some never come out.”
“Go into it?”
“The memories. There is usually someone who was in your situation, and you can see what you did. Some Lord-Sires, the weaker ones, just want to live all the pleasures of every Lord-Sire ever.”
“So if I put it on, I would experience your life?”
“In a way. You could go through my memories like you go through your own. But there are an ocean of memories, and you won’t always find the one you are looking for immediately. And… some of the stronger memories try to come out, take over. Some don’t rest easy.”
“Do you think I should use it?”
“Most every Lord-Sire I’m aware of has used it. Too useful a tool not to. And we have dispensation, after all.”
“From who?”
He chucked humorlessly. “Isn’t that the question. I don’t know.”
“Neither do they?”
“Neither do they. But the Iron Hands say it’s clear, and they perform the surgeries.”
“Do you think they’ve gone to the other side? Or are the Darkness?”
He steepled his fingers. “The Darkness, the Darkness… I was fairly sure the Magos was reaching out to them, in her later years. Never enough to prove, never enough to move against her. And you saw what the costs of such a move would be. I delayed, and delayed, and eventually, it was you who finished her.”
“But what are they?”
“Agents of the Great Enemy, certainly. Some Lord-Sires thought they were just Chaos Space Marines, but I think they are an alliance of several groups.”
“What other groups?”
“I was never sure. Your mother made it a project of hers though. Some things I try not to investigate too hard.”
You changed the subject. “What do you think of Devries?”
“Snake. Dangerous. Useful. The trick is using him in such a way he doesn’t use you. He’s always playing his own game.”
“I got him into the Attic.”
“That’s a start. He’s already working his way out though.”
“How?”
“I don’t know. I just know him.”
“You served with him?”
“Kind of. We did some of the same actions together, with the Chemdogs. Nasty work.”
“I imagine so.”
“Made a lot of money, lot of alliances. It got me moving up nicely.”
“Him too, apparently.”
“Him too. He taught me a lot.”
“He taught you?”
“He’s older than he looks.”
“Apparently.”
Frederik closed his eyes. “I’m tired. You can go now.”
“It was good to see you again, Sire. I’ll leave my comm here if you need anything.”
He waved you off, already half dozing.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Install the plot-tek spine. We could look into removing it after getting the choicest info. And please, kill Devries.

Ask Devries about how old he is/what our predecessor was talking about with age and work together before killing him. But then do it. No gloating, or torture. We have galaxy-shattering poo poo to deal with, and these are the last questions I want to ask him.

Can we and Caroline do research and lore checks to theorize who could have given Dispensation for the spine? Both how high up in the church something like that would have to come from for Space Marines to accept it, or how powerful a force could mind-wipe them into thinking it's a-ok, etc. I would love to know who/what authorized the use of a heretical device that captures each Lord-Sire's memories. Could they be watching our moves while it's plugged in? Access our pre-spine memories?Shaking my magic 8 ball, Anastatia De Vocht is old and evil enough to be involved with that!

I know there's probably no way of knowing any of that, but I want to try. You installed this paranoia in me, Lowell! As surely as if you did it with your own mechadendrites.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Destroy the spine. Kill devries.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

I know there's probably no way of knowing any of that, but I want to try. You installed this paranoia in me, Lowell! As surely as if you did it with your own mechadendrites.

You say the sweetest things :3:

Its that time again! I did our XP and we leveled twice (yay!), so let me break out my big chart.

We have 2,400 XP to spend before choosing out next level.

quote:

Available Advances

-100 XP
None

100 XP

Awareness +10
Barter +10
Blather
Blather +10
Carouse
Charm +10
Ciphers (Underworld)
Ciphers (Recongregators)
CL Admin +10
CL Imperial Creed +10
CL Imperial Creed +20
CL Imperium +10
CL Imperium +20
CL Underworld
Concealment +10
Contortionist
Deceive +20
Demolition +10
Demoiltion +20
Drive (Hover)
Drive (Hover) +10
Drive (Hover) +20
Evaluate +10
Evaluate +20
Forbidden Lore (Admech)
Forbidden Lore (Inquisition) +10
Inquiry +10
Logic +10
Logic +20
Search +10
Scholastic Lord Archaic +10
Scholastic Lore Chymistry +10
Scholastic Lore Chymistry +20
Scholastic Lore Heraldry +10
Scholastic Lore Imperial Creed
Scholastic Lore Imperial Creed +10
Scholastic Lore Philisophy
Security +10
Security +20
Secret Tongue (Tech) +10
Secret Tongue (Tech) +20
Shadowing +10
Shadowing +20
Silent Move +10
Sleight of Hand
Sleight of Hand +10
Speak Language (High Gothic) +10
Survival
Trade (Embalmer)
Trade (Mason)
Trade (Tanner)
Trade (Technomat) +10
Trade (Technomat) +20
Trade (Wright) +10
Trade (Wright) +20
Tracking +10
Wrangling +10
Insanity -1

Arms master (requires BS 30, basic weapon training, any two)
Battle Rage (requires Frenzy)
Basic Weapon Training (Knitting Needles)
Basic Weapon Training (Flame)
Basic Weapon Training (Pistol)
Basic Weapon Training (SP)
Basic Weapon Training (Primitive)
Blade Master
Blind Fighting (requires perception 30)
Bulging Biceps (requires str 45)
Cleanse and Purify
Combat Master
Deadeye Shot (BS 30)
Disturbing Voice
Dual Shot (Ballistic) (Requires AG 40, Two-Weapon Weilder)
Dual Strike (Melee) (Requires AG 40, Two-Weapon Weilder)
Feedback Screech
Gun Blessing
Hard Target (Ag 40)
Hatred (Faction Enemy)
Independent Targeting
Luminen Charge
Marksman (BS 35)
Mimic
Resistance (Interrogation/Questioning)
Rite of Awe
Peer Government
Pistol Training (Las)
Pistol Training (Primitive)
Pistol Training (SP)
Quick Draw
Sprint
Sound Constitution
Sure Strike (WS 30)
Swift Attack

200 XP:

Barter+20
Carouse +10
Chem Use
Ciphers (Recongregators) +10
Diplomacy +10
Frenzy
Forbidden Lore (Archaeotech) +20
Forbidden Lore (Tech Heresy) +10
Forbidden Lore (Recongregators) +10
Inquiry +20
Interrogation
Pilot (Spacecraft)
Scholastic Lore (Mercantile) +10
Scrutiny +10
Scrutiny +20
Decadence
Basic Weapon Training (Melta)
Basic Weapon Training (Plasma)
Double Team
Furious Assault
Heavy Weapon Training (Bolt)
Heavy Weapon Training (Las)
Heavy Weapon Training (Launcher)
Heavy Weapon Training (Primitive)
Independent Targeting
Luminen Shock
Luminen Blast
Melee Weapon Training (Power)
Mechadendrite Use (Medicae)
Mechadendrite Use (Gun)
Unremarkable
Unshakable Faith
Technical Knock

250 XP:

WS Simple Advance
BS Simple Advance
Per Simple Advance

300 XP

Ciphers (Recongregators) +20
Forbidden Lore (Recongregators) +20
Peer (Adeptus Arbites)
Peer (Underworld)
Master Orator
Mastermind
Mastermind
Mastermind
Mastermind
Mastermind
Step Aside (Ag 40, Dodge)
Whispers
Whisper of Samadhi (requires Mimic)

400 XP

Talented Diplomacy

500 XP

Call of Iron
Peer (Adeptus Mechanicus)
The Flesh is Weak 1
Exotic Weapon Training (one)
Sound Constitution
Sound Constitution
Sound Constitution
Trade (Any) +10
Secret Tongue (Throne Agent)
ST Simple Advance
AG Simple Advance
Fel Advanced
Int Trained
WS Intermediate
BS Intermediate
Toughness Trained
Perception Intermediate

750 XP
Fel Expert
Int Expert
WS Trained
BS Trained
Str Intermediate
Toughness Expert
AG Intermediate
Perception Trained
WP Expert

1000 XP
WS Expert
BS Expert
BS Heroic
Str Trained
AG Trained
Perception Expert
Toughness Heroic
Int Heroic
Perception Heroic

1500 XP
Str Heroic
WP Heroic
BS Master
Toughness Master
Intelligence Master
Perception Master

2000 XP
Str Master
WP Master

2500 XP
Str Expert
AG Expert

3000 XP
WS Heroic
Agility Heroic

3500 XP
WS Master
Agility Master

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

I'm just going to preemptively say Plan mydad since it's usually what I vote for on these anyway.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Whatever else we get I'm voting for

Bulging Biceps (carry a heavy weapon and not have to brace to fire)
Combat Master
Gun Mechadendrite (stick a Melta on there)
Gun Blessing (can also be used on ship weapons)

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Destroy the spine kill Devries but make a computer backup and leave it in a VM running in a dead room

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Install spine

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Don't install the spine, access it remotely and destroy it

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Nyaa posted:

Install spine

Do it, but digitize any information that it contains and remove once we found what is useful

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Oasx posted:

Destroy the spine. Kill devries.

About time.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

quote:

We are all aware that the senses can be deceived, the eyes fooled. But how can we be sure our senses are not being deceived at any particular time, or even all the time? Might I just be a brain in a tank somewhere, tricked all my life into believing in the events of this world by some insane computer? And does my life gain or lose meaning based on my reaction to such solipsism?

Devries Project. Termination of specimen advised.

quote:

I think, and my thoughts cross the barrier into the synapses of the spine - just as the Iron Hands intended. But what I cannot shake, and what hints at things to come, is that thoughts cross back. In my dreams the memories of the spine invades the periphery of my consciousness. Dark. Rigid. Cold. Alien. Evolution is at work here, but just what is evolving remains to be seen.

Proceed with the interface. Cautiously.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
We have this extra space in our armor, now is the time to get a bunch of cool mechadendrites
Mechadendrite Use (Gun)

Oasx fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jun 28, 2015

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Hack the spine and extract the data from the spine in binary form. Whatever personalities or cascading memories, we will always be in control.

Terminate Devries. He is too dangerous.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Hack the spine / find an alternative to installation

We're a goddamn Magos, we can do better. We also don't want our memories of the Inquisition / the inner secrets of Mechanicus to fall into the hands of some idiot 3 generations down the line. Plus we don't want to have any negative after effects that might make the Grey Knights or Mechanicus heretek hunters taking an unhealthy interest in us.

Devries gets death by Tomn

Ask him a bunch of pointless, world building questions, then pull the plug. Also make sure there's nothing left over when you do. The last thing we want is Devries making himself into a meme virus that takes over the ship.

Edit:
If hacking isn't an option: Destroy the Spine
We don't need to see what a bunch of other schmucks did since it's doubtful any of them ever dealt with being an Inquisitor in Ordo Malleus, being promoted to Magos, or being an arch-heretek seeking to establish a new order with the help of an abominable intelligence of untold power.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Jun 28, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Find an alternative to installation. Kill Devries.

What does Combat Master do?

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Do not install the spine. Find another way to access it if we can.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Voting to get:
Interrogation (has there been an act where we haven't done at least one?)

We should consider reducing insanity, since we're gaining it at a pretty scary rate these last couple of adventures (and Lowell mentioned Act 5 will be extra crazy).

Fel (AdMech) and Forbidden Lore (Archeotech) are tempting since those might get some good use, but I don't think we'd be getting much bang for the buck.

What are people's opinions on getting several "The Flesh is Weak" talents for the extra benefits? Does it fit thematically with Ohone?

paragon1 posted:

Find an alternative to installation. Kill Devries.

What does Combat Master do?

Opponents in melee get no bonuses for outnumbering you

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Do not install spine, but download the data just in case. What if they ARE listening to our memories?

Kill Devries.

Also, Find Amacita.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Install spine

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Hack spine, ask Lord Sire about missing staff, reconcile with mom before our big pow wow

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I actually really like the idea of throwing our huge brains at hacking/interfacing with the spine remotely. changing my vote from installing spine to trying to accessing it remotely.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Toughy posted:

Hack spine, ask Lord Sire about missing staff, reconcile with mom before our big pow wow

Good point

We should probably give mom a hug.

We were all torn up and mildly insane the last time we spoke. Some not very nice things were said. She also seems to know something about The Darkness.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current votes:

Mechadendrite Use (gun) x x
Bulging Biceps x
Combat Master x
interrogation x
Gun Blessing x
plan mydad x

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

try to access spine remotely, do not kill devries

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Get The Flesh is Weak yes armor and fireproof yes

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
100 XP

Forbidden Lore (Admech)
Ciphers (Recongregators)
Carouse

Gun Blessing
Hatred (Dark Mechanicus)
Sound Constitution

200 XP
Technical Knock

250 XP
WS Simple Advance

300 XP

Master Orator

500 XP
The Flesh is Weak 1

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

hack the spine kill devries

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
in that case get Combat Master and Peer Adeptus Mechanicus it is kinda odd that we don't have Peer AM

edit: what does Mastermind do and why can we take it so many times?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 28, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Grognan posted:

100 XP
Forbidden Lore (Admech)
Gun Blessing
Hatred (Dark Mechanicus)
Sound Constitution

200 XP

250 XP
WS Simple Advance

500 XP
The Flesh is Weak 1

I vote in favor of these

Grognan posted:

200 XP
Technical Knock

How often have we had guns jam?

Grognan posted:

100 XP
Carouse

How often do we drink or use narcotics in a setting where it would be relevant?

Edit:
Also voting:
Bulging Biceps
Mechadendrite Use (Gun)

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jun 28, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

edit: what does Mastermind do and why can we take it so many times?

Lets you control more cyborgs at once. Like Megabyte or a combat servitor.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

What do Call of Iron and The Flesh is Weak do?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

As an aside, here is friday's goonmeet:

Xun is in red, Im in center. My roomies and gf are on the left of me.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I think we need some more stat-ups, particularly if we're going to keep fighting in giant power armor. So I vote:

100 XP

Deceive +20
Forbidden Lore (Admech)
Insanity -2
Sound Constitution

200 XP:

Diplomacy +10
Interrogation

250 XP:

WS Simple Advance
BS Simple Advance

500 XP

Int Trained
WS Intermediate

That should be 2400 xp (there are two insanity reductions).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current vote:

500 Flesh is Weak x x x
500 Peer (AM) x x x
200 Mechadendrite Use (gun) x x x
100 FL (Admech) x x x