Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

MaliciousOnion posted:

A1. Having our own lab could come in handy later on.

This.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

D I like the magos

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
Quick, how many legs does she have now? Is it a marked improvement?

Also, get on that hardcore-parkour poo poo bro. Get swole!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Xun posted:

D I like the magos

So do I. The Omnissiah would not give us a Magos to lead us that was incompetant or a heretic, now would He?

D2

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I vote D because trusting someone is sure to backfire spectacularly at some point and so I'd like it to backfire into surprise Hereteks rather than a knife in the back. We should still set up our own lab for the day we overthrow the Magos and take the position of ROGUE MAGOS!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A1 You never know when we might need a lab the Magos can't know about. Best to get it set up now.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A x x x
B
C x
D x x x x
E

1 x x x x x
2 x

Currently, looks like Contact Magos/Build Own Lab/steal mysterios liquid is in the lead.

Next post will also include Fluors' mutations, if any :cthulhu:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
A. Faster would be better. Go to labs, smuggle out a few pieces, set up your own lab in Between

1 Yes, further tests are necessary
[b]And as soon as we determine it won't kill us we're going to drink all of it.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
A: There is something fishy going on with the Magos, it would be for the best if we did the tests in our own lab.

1: Take a sample, but do not drink (yet).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Hey, LowellDND, could we maybe just take a little bit of the liquid instead of all of it? In the grim dark future, mass spectrography is probably pretty good.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Volmarias posted:

Hey, LowellDND, could we maybe just take a little bit of the liquid instead of all of it? In the grim dark future, mass spectrography is probably pretty good.

Works for me. Everything I know about chemistry I learned from watching Bones, so Ill cheerfully defer to people who sound like they know what they are doing :D

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
D1
The fluid's absence might be noticed soon. Its presence in unregulated quantities might be noticed even sooner.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

A1 - Plan Batcave

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
B1

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

LowellDND posted:

Works for me. Everything I know about chemistry I learned from watching Bones, so Ill cheerfully defer to people who sound like they know what they are doing :D

In light of this clarification, I want to point out that I'm voting to take all of the liquid.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A 1

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A 1.5 :colbert:

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Yes

Kira Akashiya
Feb 2, 2013
A 1

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Changing my vote to D 1 with set up our own lab at the top of the 'to do' list.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

D1

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
A1 is definitely the way to go. At the very least it gives us a secure base of operations

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

MaliciousOnion posted:

In light of this clarification, I want to point out that I'm voting to take all of the liquid.

And feed a substantial quantity to Flours.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Property is Theft

The streets outside the Temple were perplexingly crowded, particularly given how light traffic was when you went in. After absently checking your internal map of the ship, you grow more confused. There is nothing in this area to suggest the need for such a crowd, no major markets or Captain’s Tasks. Flours has her ears curled back angrily, staring at something in the distance, and after checking your aural sensors, you have to agree. There is a lot of noise coming up from the Shallows and the Deeps.

No holiday scheduled, no internal message from the Grey Cloaks about a Ship’s Action. After a moment of thought, you categorize it as ‘odd, but nothing to deal with right now.’ You need to finish your investigation of the cult, and for that you need to return to the Machinarium near the engines, where the Magos (and most Tech-Priests) makes their home. However, whatever is going on in the Shallows and Deeps will delay you; instead, you will have to travel Between.

You aren’t as proficient at the Secret Ways as you would like - you haven’t been able to yet learn the lessons of the Elders of the Tribes, nor have you taken much time to explore them on your own since your arrival, all those weeks ago. However, getting from your current location to the engines shouldn’t be much of a difficulty. The racetrack you competed in covers most the route, and the isolation will give you time to think.

Strapping yourself into your riding-servitor, you begin navigating the track that had become so familiar to you. Behind you, travelling in your wake, a half dozen servitors and servo-skulls, the retinue that is your due. Megabyte runs besides them with casual ease, and Flours rests on your shoulder, claws digging into the metal.

Almost immediately, you notice that Flours is better at navigating the track than you are. She leans just right in anticipation of the gravity eddies, ducks under bars or flares before you see them, and hisses at strange creatures burrowed beneath the tracks. None of these things manage to harm or threaten you, of course - you are more than human in so many ways - but Flours seems in many ways better.

You are unclear if this is because her senses or her reflexes are better than they used to be, perhaps both. It does seem to match the performance observed in the pilgrims of the God-Emperor Within Us. Which, frankly, is the most disturbing aspect of the whole thing. Whatever chemical additions they have, it is cross-species, even something as varied as a human and a fluorescent cat.

Come to think of it, she’s gripping the metal bar of your shoulder harder too.

Idly, you consider stress testing her later - the doctrine of the Machine-Cult is quite open to stress testing Biologis, even to destruction - but you lack the time right now. Instead, you focus on finishing the track and arriving at your destination of the Machinarium. Away from the Shallows, it is a serene symphony of machinery and chemical flares, but the human noise of the ship returns as you leave the tracks. Louder than expected here, as well.

Opening a set of panels, you surreptitiously enter back into the mainstream of the ship. These sacred corridors of the Machinarium are quiet, relatively speaking, but down the many halls you can hear the loud crowds. Flours hisses at them, unimpressed, as you turn away, focusing on your destination.

The Machinarium was as much Temple as Engine room, filled with worshippers who attempt to increase their understand of the Omnissiah. The outer layers were almost exclusively pilgrims, and it was places like this where you spend your childhood. As you walk by them, your eyes meet Lacrimosa - he is covered in machine oil and participating in the Rite of the Pulley. He arches an eyebrow at you, but makes no other sign of noticing you. The rituals must be completed.

The inner sanctums of the Machinarium are where the most sacred Rites happen, and where you would have spent most your time if you weren’t Family. This includes soothing the Machine-Spirits of the engines, maintaining the life support and atmospherics, and all the other aspects which kept the ship going. Here and there, Tech-Priests worked their own investigations on the Path of Truth, a lifetime of effort in rediscovering some tiny aspect of the Omnissiah.

The most heavily guarded, the Magos’ own research center, lay sealed on a span of the central engines. Some past Magos had been deeply interested in the radiation that had been generated there, and no Magos since had felt the need to change. It made security easier, as well, with a company of Soldiers of Mars stationed there at all times. These nightmarish cyborgs were held to be nearly as good as Space Marines; they themselves might even say they were better. They stared at you balefully, but after a brief burst of binary, allowed you to pass. You were a rising star in the Magos’ compound eyes, and the Cult of Mars knew it.

Inside, the whirr and hum of a thousand machines you didn’t recognize and couldn’t put a purpose to, or even name. As the doors seal behind you, you notice that most of the objects here were deeply secured, with bars, pressure seals, magnetic locks, even arcane force fields. You felt a moment of slight hesitation. If these were able to get out somehow, you expected the results to be ... unpleasant.

Deep within the chamber, you see the Magos, muttering quietly among a herd of servitors. Around them, a large machine built for analysis and introspection, the Machine-Spirit inside a cogitator of tremendous age and memory. Walking slowly forward, you bow to the Magos, a tendril of binary reaching out respectfully.

<Magos, I have returned.>
<Ah, Ohone. Excellent. What did you find?>
<Some strange materials and chemicals. I believe they are related to the murders. I believe they may be tech-heresy.>
<Hereteks! Aboard my ship? We will have to address this properly Ohone, yes we will. Put the material before the Machine-Spirit, very good… Substance unknown? Well, that’s unacceptable. Please go get the external memories for the Machine-Spirit and bring them here, they should be in the Sequester.>

….

Well, this is your chance. The Sequester is where Tech-Priests put all their high end dangerous secret and forgotten things. What do you want to grab?

A Foundry material, you need to build more weapons and armor for your allies
B Biologis material, having the ability to gene-mod and splice minions is your best option
C Cybernetics. Humans are best when the Omnissiah is part of them.
D Machine-Spirits. Control the cogitators control the universe.
E Something Else

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
A, you know what Al Capone said about kind words and big guns. This ship needs both.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
D is for Dune references.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

mepstein73 posted:

This.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Playing the great game game of thrones game predictably and conservatively is the best way to get killed, so A is off.
We do not have the infrastructure necessary for properly utilizing B.
C is interesting, but implies direct conflict, which is bad for the same reasons A is.
Which leaves us with D - the Machine Spirits. An interesting option with lot of potential uses, some of which nobody is going to expect or see coming.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
D We will sing with them and raise a holy noise unto the Omnissiah.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

D because it never hurts to have some Agents on the inside :c00l:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

I'm Down with that.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
D. Control them and the rest will follow.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
D, because being able to suck people out of any random airlock into the void is terrifying.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

mepstein73 posted:

Yessss!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Cybernetics will make us more like the machine, and thus more like His Holy Glory on Mars.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A The CrossFit Heresy will need weapons!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

mepstein73 posted:

Oh yes, this will be good.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

D Also we should probably turn in or dissect our techheresy infested glowcat.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
D the cogs must flow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

D, and please don't dissect the heretek-infested cat. :(