Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Waci voted twice I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

No to the Iron Hands.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

No Iron Hands, please.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

call iron hands x x x x x, x x x x
don’t iron hands x x x x x, x x x x x,

That nap lasted longer than I expected >_> But 'don't call them' is very slightly in the lead. Lemme check my list of questions you had for her.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Call Iron Hands, Call Limosa

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Phoneposting but in this order of in importance

Reach out to limosa(family, loyal, has that eldar connection, but still is the first two )
Invite limosa to sit on interrogation
Reach out to the iron hands (hi we found some old records and artifacts things dating back to the heresy era, can you put on officer on the phone to verify things?) NO mention of those records being a person. Put the ball in their court, look how they react, THEN judge if they are worthy of being brought on
Invite (one) iron hand in
Ask galahad what he thinks of human bonesingers. No deets, just see how he reacts. Ask what kind of a security risk someone who makes stuff from the warp directly would be and what kind of safeguards might be effective at containing them if they WANT to break out.
No blam
Consult the Spine (if ready) regarding our ancient ancestors about when the staff first showed up. There's a personal connection there if she really did hand make it...
Spend xp learning daot gothic/polyglot because drat that would be useful.

I'm all for involving the sm. I'm not for doing it via jumping to full disclose immediately. Compartmentalized, smartly, without putting our golden goose at risk.

They point being to look for warning bells in how they respond.
If the -ultramarines- have doubt cast over them've then... really, so do other marine chapters.
vet people before involving them in secrets

Also, we should send someone to investigate their section and/or make an invitation to talk in person. Perhaps a psyker who might be able to sense taint/daemons if they are up to no good.

5 marines on permanent sabbatical sounds suspicious as hell. (There's probably more than just who we saw involved with the fighting). That smacks of renegade runways and/or a combat squad on a mission. Where's their support staff? Chain of command, etc? Find out who they answer to.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Also, fish up saidwells daemonhost box, just in case we need to throw someone in there. Bone singer = psyker, we want containment on hand for when they decide they want out.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Your average Space Marine is literally a petulant brainwashed manchild with the emotional range of a 9 year old who is given the most powerful weapons and armour mankind has to offer.

The Iron Hands are a more extreme version of this and openly hate themselves because they see human flesh as weakness. They're a bunch of self hating Krieg who are under no compulsion to follow your orders. They might just decide that buggering off with the relic is a better way of protecting it then dealing with someone who harbors a xeno-heretic.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

TheParadigm posted:

Also, fish up saidwells daemonhost box, just in case we need to throw someone in there. Bone singer = psyker, we want containment on hand for when they decide they want out.

that got torpedoed, gently caress the warp

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Legend faded into myth

Internally, you accessed your com. “Limosa, come here.” Tagged with your location. Now…

“So you can work with wraithbone?”
She gestured. “Not like a full Eldar. It’s more of … a hobby. I never had much practice building the ships, for example.”
“But you made this.”
“Yes. I’m surprised you have it, although I guess that’s the nature of it’s coincidences.”
“Ah.. We don’t technically have it anymore.”
She glanced at you. “Know who does?”
“No. The histories… are vague.”
“How can you lose so much in a thousand years? That’s two life times!”
You paused. “Ten thousand.”
“What?”
“Ten thousand years. This ship came out of the Warp five to eight thousand years ago. The staff was missing two thousand years ago.”
She sat back. Stared at the wall.

Limosa walked in, raised his eyebrows in surprise. “Who is this?”
“We’d like you to help us find out.”
“A half-Eldar. And a Bonesinger, no less.”
“You can tell that just by looking at her?”
“I was on the Craftworlds for a while.”
“Are half-Eldar welcome on Craftworlds?”
He glanced aside. “If the fates support it.”
“But they need to have something special in their destiny for it.”
“Yeah.”
“So what was her destiny?”
“I couldn’t say. Where’d you find her?”
“Cryo-pod, from the Great Crusade.”
He whistled. “You are always finding the most interesting things. What do you want me to do?”
“Just make sure she’s telling the truth.”
“It’ll be as she sees it.”
“That’s fine.”

You turned back to her. Gestured for Caroline to start translating again.
“Okay, this is our psyker telepath. He’s going to confirm what you’ve been saying.”
She glanced upwards at him. “You’ve been to the Craftworlds.”
He nodded. She spoke a quick set of phrases in Eldar, he responded. You really needed to learn the language…

Caroline spoke. “Standard greetings, Lord-Sire.”
Limosa paused. “My apologies… Lord-Sire. I didn’t expect to see a...” he paused for words. “Fellow traveller.”
“Just do your job.”
“Yes, Lord-Sire.”

“So has everything you’ve said been true?”
She glanced at Caroline, Limosa. “Yes.” Limosa nodded.
Interesting. So either she was a cultist, or a dupe, or Limosa was in on the plot… Maybe Caroline too. You were surrounded by liars. You were tempted to look into mechanical psykers, just to skip over such unreliable allies.

“Ask her if the name Ching Shih means anything to her. And Limosa, this whole meeting is secured to the Inquisition.”
Chirp chirp. “Yes. That’s my name.”

A somber silence settled over the room. How to approach this…
“So. Ching Shih. We believe this was originally your ship, or part of it was. There’s been a lot of changes.”
“That makes sense. Was I really in the Warp for thousands of years?”
“As far as we can tell. The ship was briefly seen again, built for battle and renamed the Blessed Lady. She was in the control of the Word Bearers, and used to obliterate Ultramarine forces at Armatura, their most important War-World. Any idea what that was about?”
She shrugged, apparently copying your gesture. “I was in cryonic sleep during that time. I don’t think the Word Bearers would have let me live if they had captured the ship. I speculate that the ship had been retrofitted to look like the Word Bearers, or that the histories were changed later.”

Caroline coughed. You glanced at her. “Yes?”
“Lord-Sire, I don’t mean to give credence to heresy…”
“But…?”
“But the Ultramarines did seize control of the Imperium after the Horus Heresy. Established the rules of the Codex Astartes. With their daughter Chapters, hold more than half of the Space Marines that are still loyal. And their banner - Our Presence Remakes the Past.”
You paused. It was so, so incredibly unlikely… but you could picture someone turned to the Great Enemy, using that smirking tone as their banner. Of course they remake the past, as they rewrote it with themselves as the victor.

Or this was part of a long term plan to make you doubt. A much more likely proposition.

You gestured, changed the topic. “Ching Shih… This ship has a legend about someone with your name. The founder of our Dynasty. Someone who was a Bonesinger, who created the sign of our power and legitimacy. Who rescued a Space Hulk from the Warp, and made alliance with Mechanicus and Iron Hands. Who is worshipped now as one of our most holy saints.”
She stared. Started laughing. “Oh my god. You made me a saint?”
“If you are the same person, yes.”
She started laughing till she cried, howled with it. “Oh my god. Bwahahahhaha. The Emperor destroyed the last church on Earth, and you went and made him a god and me his saint. You are unbelievable.”

After a few minutes, she stopped, wiped her face. “Oh lord. This is too weird to be a nightmare. I’m a saint? Statues? Hymns?”
“We have sermons every week, our Cathedral can hold ten thousand.”
That started her off again. You waited patiently.
“Okay, so. I’m a saint and founder of your dynasty. That means you have a Trade Warrant, right? That still a thing?”
“Yes, it is one of our most holy relics.”
“I have a hunch. Can you show it to me?”
You glanced at Limosa, he nodded. No signs of treachery.

-

The Warrant was the most secure item on the ship. Full stop. It was secured in a box much like Devries had been, except multiple layers of ceramite and void shields. The Warrant itself was in a stasis field in the center, untouched for however many thousands of years. You didn’t even know how often it was examined - the Iron Hands had given you the codes when you received the armor. You were the only one aside from them who knew it.

The box itself was two meters high and a meter on each side, gilded with the most impressive and expensive artwork your Dynasty could afford. A single gem from it would fund a hundred shuttles, but no Lord-Sire had ever dreamed of such a desecration. It was untouched since its original crafting, and it, even more than the Beast, was your Dynasty. Without it, you were nothing, with it, you were a Rogue Trader.

It came walking in under its own power, walking on the servomotors similar to a Dreadnought. The animated statue had been crafted to look as if it was straining under the weight, an open mouth, pained eyes. The faith and the duty that was required of all citizens, as they acted under the responsibility of being a Trader Dynasty in the Imperium. That face stared at you whenever you accessed the Warrant, reminding you of your place. Thousands of years old, he still bent under the weight, and so too should you.

You made everyone go to the other side of the room, turned off cameras on the other half. Ran half a hundred defensive binary shields and wards, making it impossible to examine what you were doing. It was the most complex code of your Dynasty - genetic, retina, voice, fingerprint, remembered digits and remembered gaps. It took more than twenty minutes to open, and you did it perfectly.

Inside, the Warrant of Trade.

quote:

Hereditary Warrant of Trade

Resolved Henceforth in the name of the most beneficent Emperor of Mankind, the Council of Primarchs grant this Hereditary Warrant of Trade to

quote:

Ching Shih

And to all of her line, from now until the end of time. The Bearer of this Warrant of Trade is granted the inalienable right to go forth beyond the sacred borders of the Blessed Imperium, to contact such benighted civilizations as she may encounter, and to make war for the glory of the Emperor as she should deem necessary. By the authority of the Council of Primarchs, this Warrant places the Bearer as a Peer of the great powers of the Imperium, inter alia Imperial Commanders and Governors of Imperial Worlds. The authority of this Warrant grants begins where the Imperium ends. Beyond the Extent of Imperial Rule, the bearer of this Warrant speaks with the voice of the Emperor Himself. It is the bearer’s right and her responsibility to claim whatever worlds, resources, or privileges she may obtain by in any manner she chooses.

In my own hand
Alpharius, Primarch.

Loel fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 17, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

also nice Wheel of Time reference Lowell.

And the earlier Culture reference, though I assume most readers caught that.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
doesn't this mean we're some incredibly small part Eldar?

edit: There's no way we don't get insanity points from reading that.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Jaded. We don't give a gently caress.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Tran posted:

Jaded. We don't give a gently caress.
I imagine at this point she'd just roll her eyes and sigh. One more thing to add to the pile of incredible bullshit that Ohone's life has become in the last few months.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
Kill everyone in the room and burn the warrant

Seriously. Kill everyone not us within 1 km and delete this from our memory. There is no :psyboom: big enough for this.

Not only are we part Xenos but everything this Dynasty has done and will ever do will be declared void once anyone not us finds that it was given by a traitor Primarch. The minute the Iron Hands or Kozilek or someone similar finds out about this (and these things inevitably will slip) we're public enemy number 1 to the sector.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Invite Iron Hands/someone else, yes/no?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Question I want to know is, does anyone here know what the heck a "Council of Primarchs" is?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Question I want to know is, does anyone here know what the heck a "Council of Primarchs" is?

Before the High Lords of Terra were set up, the Primarchs ran things. Many of them were somewhat annoyed when the Emperor replaced them with a bunch of civvies.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tomn posted:

The Primarchs are the genetically-crafted supersoldier sons of the Emperor himself. After their birth, the forces of Chaos kidnapped them and spirited them away to the four corners of the galaxy. This sparked the Great Crusade, where the Emperor united the galaxy under humanity in order to reclaim his sons. The Council of Primarchs was an executive body formed of them before the Horus Heresy. They essentially ruled the Imperium while the Big E focused on more esoteric matters, like trying to forge an extension to the webway so humanity wouldn't have to fly through hell to go faster than light.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Reseal the warrant away, call in the Iron Hands.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Kegslayer posted:

Kill everyone in the room and burn the warrant

Seriously. Kill everyone not us within 1 km and delete this from our memory. There is no :psyboom: big enough for this.

Not only are we part Xenos but everything this Dynasty has done and will ever do will be declared void once anyone not us finds that it was given by a traitor Primarch. The minute the Iron Hands or Kozilek or someone similar finds out about this (and these things inevitably will slip) we're public enemy number 1 to the sector.

If we do what you're suggesting then we might as well stick a giant flashing neon light over our heads that says "Ohone is hiding something related to her warrant of trade!" Better to just put it back in the box, and never speak of it again.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Nothing has happened. Nothing is wrong. The warrant is going back into storage for another thousand years. Nobody would ever normally be allowed to see it anyway.

We are most definitely not a dynasty founded on lies and the word of one of the greatest traitors of the empire. Our founder is long lost to us and shall ever be remembered as a saint. Any other claim is heresy of the worst sort.

Seriously though, this changes nothing. We're still stuck with three options. We kill her and move on, we staple her brain onto a willing and loyal retainer to allow free access to her skills and knowledge, or we build the single most secure vault we possibly can. I'm talking a Null Cell obtained from the Ordo Hereticus as a favor, with an entirely seperate void shield generator and gellar field just for this one person who will never be allowed to leave her little room.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I say we give her to Athena. Someone closer to Her own time for Her to talk to. :3:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tran posted:

Nothing has happened. Nothing is wrong. The warrant is going back into storage for another thousand years. Nobody would ever normally be allowed to see it anyway.

We are most definitely not a dynasty founded on lies and the word of one of the greatest traitors of the empire. Our founder is long lost to us and shall ever be remembered as a saint. Any other claim is heresy of the worst sort.

Seriously though, this changes nothing. We're still stuck with three options. We kill her and move on, we staple her brain onto a willing and loyal retainer to allow free access to her skills and knowledge, or we build the single most secure vault we possibly can. I'm talking a Null Cell obtained from the Ordo Hereticus as a favor, with an entirely seperate void shield generator and gellar field just for this one person who will never be allowed to leave her little room.
This is correct. There's no need to overreact here. We just reseal it and say nothing.

As for Ching Shih here... I don't think she needs to die. If what she has said is true, she's the founder. It would be far too damaging to acknowledge she is the founder, but we owe it to her to give her the luxuries she is owed as family. Even if we have to make her a prisoner, we should give her a gilded cage.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Could we really be really be considered part Xeno due to this? I mean, she's as far back in our family tree as an early neolithic human is to us. Any Eldar genes have to be watered down to practically homeopathic levels by this point. Is that enough to still count?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

JT Jag posted:

This is correct. There's no need to overreact here. We just reseal it and say nothing.

As for Ching Shih here... I don't think she needs to die. If what she has said is true, she's the founder. It would be far too damaging to acknowledge she is the founder, but we owe it to her to give her the luxuries she is owed as family. Even if we have to make her a prisoner, we should give her a gilded cage.

Anyone think the old Lord-Sire could use someone to talk to in his retirement?

Anyhow, if the Council was a legit thing and not something that popped up after the Heresy...then the question becomes whether the Warrant was handed out before, after, or during the Heresy. Given Ching Shih's story it doesn't sound like it came before, and since Big E apparently dissolved the Council before the Heresy it probably didn't come after...so likely we got our Warrant from the government in rebellion set up by Horus et al. Which is troublesome, but also interesting: How exactly did Ching Shih or whoever go from "Rogue Trader of a Rogue Government" to "Imperial Servant and No Questions Asked"?

Ask Ching Shih what exactly her hunch was, and ask her to describe the start and progress of the civil war as best she knows it.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Pretty sure the Iron Hands already know, but yea we should probably talk with them.

In any case, until proven otherwise the Warrant was signed while Alpharius was still loyal and is perfectly legitimate.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Consequences

Without your expression changing, your mind went through who might know this information. It could only be opened by a Lord-Sire upon their claiming of the armor - so every Lord-Sire, and quite possibly the Iron Hands themselves. The Lord-Sires would never share this information… although it would have been recorded by the xeno-spine, which was in your labs, and known by Anastasia, now a member of the Great Enemy.

So whoever Anastasia might have told. Having the Changer of Ways knowing this particular secret was not encouraging. You started considering options, if someone were to reveal your Dynasty was created by an arch-heretic for an arch-heretic… but there were a few Dynasties like that. Primarchs or High Lords who were later found to be heretics. It was mostly a matter of enforcement - it could kick a Dynasty when they were down, but not at their peak.

Best not go down, then.

Calmly, you closed the box, replaced all the locks. You weren’t sure that even a broadside by the Beast could have opened it, given how many void shields and stasis fields they were. They built to keep, back in the old days. Although you expected the Great Enemy had made it so survivable just so they could shout ‘just as planned’ a thousand years from now. Nonsensical fools, all of them.

Ching Shih watched you. “Well? Was I right?”
“If you were, it’s a secret not even Caroline could know. Limosa could tells us if we’re thinking the same thing though.” He nodded at you. You sighed. Of course.
“Having to translate everything through Caroline is becoming a frustrating security risk. I wouldn’t even trust some of these secrets to myself. If I dreamed about them I would have to shoot myself upon waking.”

You rubbed your temples. “I need more information. Limosa, ask the Iron Hands to send a representative here please.”
It was possible he might just shoot her on sight, but you could probably extract any information from her dying brain. Unless he shot her in the head or something. But still, you needed an old authority to confirm some of these things she was saying. You thought it worth the risk.

Even with all of that, you were startled at the response when they saw each other.

Ching Shih leaped up, ran over to him. He threw up his arms, and you thought the Space Marine would tear her limb from limb. Instead, she wrapped around him in a hug, a child hugging the waist of a giant. His mechanical hands were gentle on her, and you could barely speak for frustration. “What is it now?

They were speaking at each other in that irritating bird speak. Chirp Chirp. You glared at Caroline, who immediately started translating.
“Ah, they knew each other during the war, Lord-Sire.”
“So these Iron Hands are Great Crusade old.”
“Yes Lord-Sire.”
“And they were on the ship like her, and never left?”
“Yes Lord-Sire.”
“And somehow in the intervening time, the ship changed names several times, became a Dynasty while she was in cryonics, and became listed as a Dark Mechanicus ship.”
“Yes Lord-Sire.”
You stared upwards at the universe. “This loving ship.”

Finally, they stopped talking at each other. You glared at them too, for good measure. Ching Shih had the decency to look ashamed, anyway. The Space Marine met your gaze, looking down from his great height. His voice was the grumble of the mountain. “Lord-Sire… Magos… Inquisitor. We have done our duty. Ancient duties and obligations, honored oaths and traditions. We have protected your relic.”

“That’s what you meant, then. Not just the armor, or the ship. Her.”
“Yes.”
“What were your orders? Exactly?”

He paused, looking deep into the past. “We are to guard the Warrant of Trade until Ching Shih awakens to claim it. We are to protect her sleeping and not to awaken her.”
Your eyes narrowed. “Would you fight the current Lord-Sire to put her on that throne?”
He looked away. You bit the inside of your cheek, considering how to fight ten Great Crusade era Iron Hands. It wouldn’t be pleasant.

“Who gave those orders?”
“Ferrus Manus.”
“Your Primarch personally told you to guard one human and her dynasty for ten thousand years? Why?”
He gestured, displayed a hologram. You watched impassively.

Two figures talking, giants you recognized. Ferrus Manus and Alpharius, the Primarch. It was strange hearing them speaking in that strange chirping. Caroline translated as you watched.

“Ferrus, what happened? You are covered in blood.”
“Fulgrim.” Ferrus threw his warhammer on the ground. “Is about to do something extraordinarily stupid.”
“Like what?”
“Rebel. Against the Emperor.”
“What? That’s absurd.”
“Yeah. He spent most of the morning trying to get me to join him. I said no. There were words.”
“And blows, it looks like.”
“Yeah.”
“That explains something earlier, than.”
“Yeah? What could explain this?”
“Guilliman. He was talking about building his Empire.”
“He’s always building an Empire.”
“Yeah, but this seemed different. Council of equals, equal Primarchs.”
“What?” Ferrus stared at his brother. “What do you mean? No Emperor?”
“Yeah, that’s what it sounded like.”
“That’s… that’s really not good. If Guilliman and Fulgrim are both planning this. And asking for other support. It would be a civil war.”
“Yeah. I’m hoping I’m wrong.”
“Me too. What’s that project he’s doing now?”
“Ultramar.”
“Yeah, Ultramar. Send one of your little spies out that way. Let’s see if this is for real.”
Alpharius shrugged. “I can do that, but I don’t have a ship that can get there in any reasonable time.”
Ferrus tapped his metal fingers. “I do. Send me a captain, l’ll give them a ship and some of my men. We’ll see if there’s any truth to this.”
“And if there is?”
He signed. “And if there is, we’ll go to war. We can’t lose the Imperium, you know what it was like before us.”
“I hope you’re wrong.”
“Me too.”

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
:argh:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Mutter exhaustedly: "This loving ship!"
Why does everthing have to end with Tzeentzch around here?
We should order our Inner Circle and all our current trouble shooters to compile a list of every way that a person's memory can be altered that they can come up with, with possible ways to detect and counteract it.
Now more than ever we should also examine if we can identify what remains of the Blessed Lady within the Beast and match that against any information we might have of the Furious Abyss, see if we can determine whether the reappearance of the Furious Abyss was a false flag operation.

Oh and I assume you meant to say Furious Abyss here?

LowellDND posted:

“As far as we can tell. The ship was briefly seen again, built for battle and renamed the Blessed Lady. She was in the control of the Word Bearers, and used to obliterate Ultramarine forces at Armatura, their most important War-World. Any idea what that was about?”

sheep-dodger fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 17, 2015

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Sneeze

edit:
:argh: too slow

Rahul posted:

Could we really be really be considered part Xeno due to this? I mean, she's as far back in our family tree as an early neolithic human is to us. Any Eldar genes have to be watered down to practically homeopathic levels by this point. Is that enough to still count?
That just means you're extra Eldar, more Xenos than an actual Eldar.

Besides, given the ten thousand years of coups and history and poo poo, are you actually related?

Rockopolis fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jul 17, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sheep-dodger posted:

Mutter exhaustedly: "This loving ship!"
Why does everthing have to end with Tzeentzch around here?
We should order our Inner Circle and all our current trouble shooters to compile a list of every way that a person's memory can be altered that they can come up with, with possible ways to detect and counteract it.
Now more than ever we should also examine if we can identify what remains of the Blessed Lady within the Beast and match that against any information we might have of the Furious Abyss, see if we can determine whether the reappearance of the Furious Abyss was a false flag operation.

Oh and I assume you meant to say Furious Abyss here?

Yeah, my reading of the lexicanum wiki said it started as the Furious Abyss, and then came back from the warp as Blessed Lady bigger and better than ever.

Then a different wiki said they are two different ships. 40k! :v:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
How did a bunch of Space Marines survive for 10.000 years without cryogenics?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oasx posted:

How did a bunch of Space Marines survive for 10.000 years without cryogenics?

They are functionally immortal as far as I know.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I was tempted to grab one of the earlier long justifications for killing her and just word-swapping for "yourself" but I still don't think murder, brain-swapping or boxing is the way to go. Here's our founder, far and away the most easily-accessible mid-point between our time and Athena's, and she seems cool as heck. She's the kind of heresy an AI-worshipping technology freak can get behind.

Is Fabiyan still in the room?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Urgh, this stuff is giving me headaches.
From what I understand from the Lexicanum on the Furious Abyss and the Blessed Lady neither of them were ever in Loyalist hands, as they were constructed by the Dark Mechanicus.
This would make it likely that this is a super-long con by Alpharius against the Ultrasmurfs and the Iron Hands we have on board could be Alpha Legion masquerading as Iron Hands to get us to distrust the smurfs.
At this point I feel that we can't really get much more reliable information from within the ship, since anybody who may be able to verify is potentially also part of the plot, except for maybe by researching the remains of whatever ship actually is stuck with us.
I feel we should table this until we are at Terra, put Ching Shi under highest level security possible and figure something out to counter the Iron Hands/Alpha Legionnaires should they make a move to get some independent verification from someone at Terra that is a confirmed loyalist in this.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Is Fabiyan still in the room?

Yes. Currently, its you, Fabiyan, Caroline, Ching Shih, and Iron Hand Marine.
edit: and Limosa.

sheep-dodger posted:

Urgh, this stuff is giving me headaches.

Got at least 5 more layers to this onion! :D

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 17, 2015

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Alpha Legion making GBS threads things up for ten millenia in advance, as usual.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
I buy it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
^^^Me too.^^^ If people actually view this rather than Athena-worship as the first step toward outright heresy then :rolleyes: but count me in. Cool character, very interesting plot that fits with our idea of reviving the Emperor (he'll probably want the worship poo poo to stop), I am picking up what she's putting down.

LowellDND posted:

Yes. Currently, its you, Fabiyan, Caroline, Ching Shih, and Iron Hand Marine.

Got at least 5 more layers to this onion! :D
Hooooooow's he doing? Is he still all smiley and cool outwardly? Screaming on the inside, counting all his ammo and trying to figure out how to choke out a space marine? I think using a living saint commissar as a "On a scale of 1 to Horus, how heretical am I right now?" litmus test seems legit.

1. I vote we become less inwardly skeptical about what she's saying.
2. Check in with the husband and work out the least-brainboxey containment method for her.
3. Start having sessions with her where she teaches you to use computers with a mouse and keyboard.

e: if/when a hologram of a tech-priest warns us away I'll reconsider my stance. But until then, this probably isn't a nuke.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Jul 17, 2015