Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Tran posted:

Devries is already dead. We took his brain out into the jungle on the ship and had Fabiyan join us in shooting it.

It was a truly heart-warming, romantic moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

Tomn posted:

It was a truly heart-warming, romantic moment.
Yes, that's why we make more copies so we can do it over and over again! Maybe make it a yearly celebratory family event!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I just want you to know that my dreams last night asked why all my characters were sociopaths. I blamed you :colbert:

Still brainstorming on Lynwood's quest, its not clicking for me yet.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

I just want you to know that my dreams last night asked why all my characters were sociopaths. I blamed you :colbert:

Yeah, that's probably fair.

But I think we can all agree that GW is REALLY to blame here.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Natural selection has led to a eveyone being a sociopath, it's the only way to survive

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

I just want you to know that my dreams last night asked why all my characters were sociopaths.

"Because, mon ami, foie gras."

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Aug 3, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

LowellDND posted:

Still brainstorming on Lynwood's quest, its not clicking for me yet.

It's working guys!

That's terrible and we feel bad.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Maybe it would help if you replace 'Dark Heresy' with 'Dark (Chocolate) Hershey'

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Nyaa posted:

Maybe it would help if you replace 'Dark Heresy' with 'Dark (Chocolate) Hershey'

*orders exterminachos*

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hershey? Truly this is a dystopian future.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Todays music: Jean Paul and Beyonce

Awakening

What?
“Thank the God-Emperor, she’s coming around.”
What’s happening?
“Ohone? Can you hear me?”
“Eugh.”
“Ok. Follow my fingers. Can you see them?”
“Bright.”
Fabiyan? sat back. It was hard to tell the figures. “Doesn’t look there’s a concussion.”
“What.” Why were words so difficult? “What happened?”
Other people were around. Grim faces. Sisters of Battle, Guardsmen.
“What was the last thing you remember?”
You tried to swallow. Thirsty. Someone gave you a canteen. Water.
“We were at the party. We met von Stählernfels.”
The images were firming. Ragged uniforms. Hastily dressed injuries. Something had happened.
“Ohone? It’s maybe… fifty hours later. We haven’t slept much.”
One of the other voices, hard edged. “We should get moving.”
“Ohone, can you move on your own?”
“Uh…” You gave it an effort. “Yes.”
“Okay, I’ll update you as we go. How are your weapon systems?”
You flipped through them. “Online. Sluggish. I wish I had my armor.”
“I’m starting to agree with you.”
You began walking, trying to catch up, adjust. You were in a tunnel of some sort? It had the feel of deep underground. You kept stumbling. Dizzy. Fabiyan offered you his arm, but his other hand held a hotshot lasgun. The Sisters were holding Bolters, and were pacing with a tired wariness. With effort, you readied your own weapons.
“Okay. So. We went to the masquerade ball.”
Images flickered through your mind. Memories? A thousand golden faces, Abraxus, laughing at you. Little one...
“Nothing much happened there. Lynwood’s contact - Lady Cabrice Ebo - ‘had an idea’ to go exploring the old tunnels. Things went smooth there. We had a few dozen, maybe a hundred of us.”
“Shh.”
Fabiyan looked up, checked his weapon. The Guardsmen dimmed their lights, and the people who had IR goggles flicked them on. All you could hear was your breathing.
In the distance, faint movement. Murmuring? The Sisters opened up with the grenade under-barrels, turning whatever it was into so much quivering meat.
Fabiyan grimaced. “We’ll need another route, now that they’ve heard it. Back to the last section, go left?”
They looked at each other, nodded. Started back the way they came.
“So we went into the tunnels. Servants kept us well stocked, everyone (else) was well past drunk. Lot of old rooms no one had used, storage and forgotten things. The further we went, the more Lynwood got excited.”
One of the Sisters spat. “Xeno-lover.”
“Quite. The further we went, the more wraithbone we saw. I don’t know why it had never been noticed before.”
You had a sinking feeling…
A vast chamber, a gate the size of your ship. Wraithbone, and seals and locks of ancient make. The party slowing to a crawl, overwhelmed by the scale of the thing.
“And then Caprice showed her hand. Current meat-suit of Gorgon. Limosa confirmed that one.”
“Is he still alive?”
Fabiyan glanced away. “We’re not sure. The fleet erupted into a civil war as he confirmed it.”
“Can they still do Exterminatus?”
They all glanced at each other, knowing the certain death sentence. “We’re not sure.”
“What happened at the gate?”
“Oh, you are starting to remember. Good. Gorgon opened up with their memetic virus. I’m not sure why they didn’t get all of us - maybe they were distracted by trying to get the ships as well, or maybe the island wards protected us.”
“Not enough, apparently.”
“Yeah. If we survive, Gorgon is absolutely Alpha+ tier. I sent a report to Titan, but I don’t know if they’ll receive it. It’s madness out there.”
“And down here?”
“Yeah. We’re killing everyone we see. Too many of them were infected, and we can’t risk it. If they see us, if they speak… We’ve lost too many already.”
“Any sleepers?”
They glanced at each other. “If there are, they haven’t revealed themselves yet.”
“What’s our ammo situation?”
“Not great. Way I see it, we can try to ascend and escape, or descend and try to interfere with Gorgon. It wasn’t able to get through the gate by the time we left.” He met your eyes. “Both are suicide runs, but the second is more of one.”
“Why do you think we can do the second?”
“You’ve been… talking in your sleep.” One of the Sisters spat again. “In Eldar.”

What do you do?

Loel fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 13, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know how we'll do it, but we must kill the Gorgon!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
What's the status on the beast? If the virus got onto it it's gone.

How many fate points do we have?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Outrail posted:

What's the status on the beast? If the virus got onto it it's gone.

How many fate points do we have?

I want to say 3, and the Beast is radio silent for obvious reasons.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Hmm, I think GTFO and attack every warp/void capable ship in orbit, then when it's stuck on the planet exterminatus all the way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Now we can exterminatus the planet.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Voting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67JpMyrOVE

As for the immediate question - I don't think we're quite equipped to fight Gorgon on it's turf.

sniper4625 fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Aug 5, 2015

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

JT Jag posted:

Now we can exterminatus the planet.

Not while we're on it we can't...well...we should at least wait until we're outside and have a shot at getting a ride out in time.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think it's safe to assume the Eldar want us dead. We've become too big, from their perspective. Too big, to powerful, to hard to manipulate, perverse in every aspect they consider worthwhile, unwilling to listen to the reasoning of Xenos. Having us die at the hand of a Daemon, while they use their foul majiks to make us think we have a shot - that's a plan with a dickishness level worthy of an Eldar.
Flee up. Burn the planet. Escape to safety. Hope to hell Limosa won't shoot us down while we attempt to achieve orbit.

Question - once in a shuttlecraft, could we hack the Beast?

Voting never to leave our armor behind again, drat those who would have us do otherwise also.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

VanSandman posted:

I think it's safe to assume

Maaaan, we can't safely assume anything with this story! We can spin all this a million ways. We could run away, hook up with Eduard, send the message back to ourself to try to stop Gorgon. Or we go through the Eldar gate, hook up with Eddie, send a message back in time. Or it's an Eldar trap, but burning the fate point and dying makes us fuse with the wraithbone because reasons so we end up looking like we do in the message we later send back in time.

I vote for probable suicide mission-ing because I believe Gorgon is the thing/her we're supposed to stop and that thing getting loose will make Athena-War even worse, gently caress it, yolo, etc.

I don't know what to do. Me reading these last posts:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Fight to a shuttle. Link up with reinforcements in orbit, prepare a strike force to secure the vault. Elysian grav schute drop with orbital kenetic strikes pasting everything outside the LZ during the drop. Secure landing zone, deploy Krieg. Find the vault and either destroy it or retrieve what is in it.

Find out what happened to Lynwood. Deploy arco-flagellants and servitors, they will not give two fucks about the memetic hazard.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

poor life choice posted:

Maaaan, we can't safely assume anything with this story! We can spin all this a million ways. We could run away, hook up with Eduard, send the message back to ourself to try to stop Gorgon. Or we go through the Eldar gate, hook up with Eddie, send a message back in time. Or it's an Eldar trap, but burning the fate point and dying makes us fuse with the wraithbone because reasons so we end up looking like we do in the message we later send back in time.

I vote for probable suicide mission-ing because I believe Gorgon is the thing/her we're supposed to stop and that thing getting loose will make Athena-War even worse, gently caress it, yolo, etc.

I don't know what to do. Me reading these last posts:

Fair point. Safer to assume, then.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Well, uh, that went to poo poo even quicker than normal. Kill the Gorgon. Even if we exterminatus now, we'll never be sure we got her unless we kill her in person. There will always be the chance she'll slip away in the confusion or make it through the gate.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Question for the explorator & Inexperienced-person-who-guards-against-the-stupid: You're the Gorgon. What obvious things might you try to keep us from just launching an Orbital Bombardment of the planet?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
This/everything is pure speculation, and we can go throw all sorts of shade or layers of treachery on the message sent back in time, but right now it seems like the either/or option is to go after Gorgon with what we have and get creative, or retreat and try to come down on her with everything we've got. My :siren: guess :siren: is that the version that told us to try to change the past is the cautious version that retreated, regrouped, and came back too late. So that's why I vote for going for it. We've got a handful of mans, a saint, and a whole lot of robot heart. Let's do it. :toot:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

falcon2424 posted:

Question for the explorator & Inexperienced-person-who-guards-against-the-stupid: You're the Gorgon. What obvious things might you try to keep us from just launching an Orbital Bombardment of the planet?

Hold Fabian hostage.

^^ in that case we should be cautious, GTFO, and send back a message to ourselves that says what they want us too, and ends in a shriek of binary:
**Exterminatus prior to ship acquisition**

Outrail fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Aug 5, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Get up close and personal. Do we have any psy-helmets handy?

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Okay, so thing to take away from this is that an astronomically powerful daemon witch was explicitly waiting for our arrival before acting. They need us here for some reason. However, the Eldar also planned for this. The cautious and probably most reasonable thing to do is immediately evacuate to the Beast and commence large scale operations. However, that would ignore a couple key pieces of evidence. Foremost is the fact that if the Eldar can be trusted in anything, it's their absolute hatred of Slaanesh over all else. Even that pales compared to the other detail, Edourd said we can stop her here.

We have to press on and spoil the daemon's plan however we may. Start looking for structural weak points, plant real explosives if we have them or use jury-rigged grenades from their launchers if not. This thing could be the size of a city, but it's also carrying the weight of an entire planet. In addition, if we're able to get a message out to the beast have them ready to make an orbital strike on our position. If for whatever reason we lose contact after that point, the decision lies with Edourd.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Tran posted:

Okay, so thing to take away from this is that an astronomically powerful daemon witch was explicitly waiting for our arrival before acting. They need us here for some reason. However, the Eldar also planned for this. The cautious and probably most reasonable thing to do is immediately evacuate to the Beast and commence large scale operations. However, that would ignore a couple key pieces of evidence. Foremost is the fact that if the Eldar can be trusted in anything, it's their absolute hatred of Slaanesh over all else. Even that pales compared to the other detail, Edourd said we can stop her here.

We have to press on and spoil the daemon's plan however we may. Start looking for structural weak points, plant real explosives if we have them or use jury-rigged grenades from their launchers if not. This thing could be the size of a city, but it's also carrying the weight of an entire planet. In addition, if we're able to get a message out to the beast have them ready to make an orbital strike on our position. If for whatever reason we lose contact after that point, the decision lies with Edourd.

Convincing

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Switching to Plan Tran

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Edouard offered no proof we could stop her here. gently caress future Edouard.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Tran posted:

Breach and Clear + Try to contact Athena to see if there are any gubbins here that she'd like for us to liberate / retrieve.

If we're going to be smashing up fancy xenotech anyway, may as well see if there's any good stuff lying around that might come in handy during our crusade.

Edit:

I wonder how many of our Tribunes came down here and how many of those survived vs how many are we going to be blasting to pieces.

V At least this time we're in a position where the nuke going off might kill us even if we retreat.

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 5, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Outnumbered, outgunned, a rag-tag band of survivors faced with a clear choice between a safer retreat and a suicide run into the depths of hell for a dramatic confrontation against a terrible foe, the only advantage and reason to attack being a mysterious bit of prophecy?

Hell yeah, let's charge the nuke!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Good to see everyone has stopped feeling so cautious! :v:

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Go down

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Go friend computer on them

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT ELDAR IS HUH

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Fall back to the surface and evacuate. The Gorgon grows stronger by adding more servants under its thrall. Let's not join them. Nuke the site from orbit, get a strike team in place to finish the job and confirm the kill. Krieger should be resistant to the memetic virus, as should the sisters. Oh, and loudly curse Eldar mindfuckery to make the sisters slightly less inclined to purge us.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Xun posted:

Go friend computer on them

HOW DO YOU KNOW WHAT ELDAR IS HUH

This.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Plan Tran

So much for having an investigation/diplomacy mission.

Can't Ohone render herself immune to the virus by just cutting off audio input to her brain? What we need is some deafeningly loud speakers to drown out the Enemy. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Exterminatus is wrong they said. You can't be sure She's there they said. You can't destroy a paradise planet with important people on it because you think a Demon might be on it they said. Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnn. Y'all should have listened to your buddy BB Rod. He had it right. Now look at this poo poo. We should have nuked the joint the second we got that video from ourselves. We should have done it again when Linwood started talking about a demon engine in the planet's core.

Exterminatus as soon as we clear atmo. gently caress this place and these assholes, we need to get to Mars.