Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Emperor of mankind: "i hereby grant you sainthood."

Ohone: "Nah, it's not my thing."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Nyaa posted:

Emperor of mankind: "i hereby grant you sainthood."

Ohone: "Nah, it's not my thing."
This hasn't happened and I doubt that just voting for it would make it happen, hth

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Arkanomen posted:

Ohone is no saint.
Her talents lie elsewhere.

Like being a Blank. Just sayin', there's only one vote against, and it means no more Warp bullshit.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

You realize that Malal keeps it 100.

Well, sometimes he doesn't tell you when he makes the "alright now first you get to hurt the people you hate and then after that you spend your whole life hurting who I hate" deal he doesn't let on that the people you hate are ALSO people he hates.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Nyaa posted:

Everyone, Saint is an option, change your vote now!

I think sainthood, if anything, should be a journey, not something we actaully buy.

That's kinda why I brought up the possibility of True Faith - i'd like the door to be open, but that kind of poo poo has to be something you earn.

With that in mind, sure, i'll vote for it, but I don't think it will go anyware.. I'd like to see Ohone grow in some way besides 'lol no this isn't 40k' coming up all the time. This is as much Not40k as rogue trader can possibly get.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Rockopolis posted:

Like being a Blank. Just sayin', there's only one vote against, and it means no more Warp bullshit.

For the record, this would tank our fellowship down to about 5-10. Depending on rules involved, something about halving it plus a -20 to all skill tests involving it.

Both pure faith(burn for blanket immunity) and psyker also mean less warp interference in their own ways, but without shooting the rogue trading in the foot.

Essentially being a blank trades all your warp problems for people problems. The other two options on the table don't, and also have benefits in other areas. A saint has the support of the people and the church, and is a totally powerful icon to mend rifts between parts of the imperium that SHOULD be working together but dont because politics, and a psyker has anything from like-me powers to divination or telepathy at their disposal - and since Fettering is a thing, its all risk free.

Being a blank is the lazy answer. Also, look at it from a storytelling perspective - what's the most interesting outcome of possession leaving its mark upon a soul? Strength from adversity? Seeing the warp is guaranteed already, but what if it was a touch more? (Rules Note: the Exorcised have/are forced to get Psynicience already, so they have their foot half in the warp, but without the protections of being a psyker or able to manipulate it)
That's the important factor.

Lowell: I was inspired by looking at the disciple of abraxus powers - which are able to treat luminen talents as Force stuff - Is it possible to get a similiar treatment for Sanctified/Holy/Blessed for those implants? That would make a daemon-fightan techpriest actaully somewhat unique, and those kinds of innard-engravings are something the daemonhunters already kind of do.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Oct 1, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Would Ohone ever actually have "True Faith"? We are on a mission to elevate our Athena to true godhood, throw down the Imperium in her name and build it back to the Golden Age. If there is any faith in her actions it is that Athena is the Omnissaiah incarnate and the next incarnation of the Emperor, which I guess you could call her True Faith. I don't know. That ones got me confused.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I think Ohone does believe in the Omnissaiah. She's also either convinced herself or is lying to herself that the Omnissaiah would approve of the whole Athena deal, but doesn't REALLY believe that Athena is an aspect of the Omnissaiah. She just REALLY REALLY wants the whole Athena deal to work out because if it does work out it'd be such a game changer to the better, and at this point a return to the status quo doesn't even seem possible. Athena taking over the Imperium is probably inevitable at this point, the only question is whether that will be a good thing, or as a mad AI, or at chaos's behest.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

TheParadigm posted:

Lowell: I was inspired by looking at the disciple of abraxus powers - which are able to treat luminen talents as Force stuff - Is it possible to get a similiar treatment for Sanctified/Holy/Blessed for those implants? That would make a daemon-fightan techpriest actaully somewhat unique, and those kinds of innard-engravings are something the daemonhunters already kind of do.
A mild houseruling of the Disciple of Abraxus powers to make them fit better for our situation would be pretty cool.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Arkanomen posted:

Well, we did start a cult dedicated to worshipping us, kinda. The whole "The Iron Maiden" thing but that's not a cult so much but rather something heading towards a holy abhuman sect. Besides, if we get saint then the Emperor himself knows and approved of what we are doing and I'm not sure if he would. Approved of Fabiyan though so who knows.

My take on sainthood is less "The Emperor looks on this worshipper, and finds him/her good" and more "the burgeoning psyker power of humanity has turned this person into a vessel of their faith."

So, like, a saint effectively IS an angel of a worshipped deity, but the worshippers made it so. It's the people's faith creating miracles, not God granting wishes. Same deal as the abrogates calming the warp. Bootstrapped divinity, nothing that implies/proves the Emperor is a conscious actor in the 40K setting.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Rockopolis posted:

It also means, if it were even possible, that everyone we know and everyone we would meet in the future would instinctively revile us.

Which would make commanding an army and doing Earth politics somewhat difficult.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
It already seems like most of the people who aren't our slaves plot against us, though. We...don't really seem to get by on our charm.
I totally see your point about this going super :spergin: and all, but this is basically the Abrogate option. Hm. Maybe not the greatest idea.

I still like the idea of being able to detach our soul whenever we need to deal with Warp messes or just be a ruthless hardass.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
No, dude, I don't think you get it. It would make people who don't feel one way or another about us actively loathe us. It would make people who already kind of don't like us actively murderous. We'd lose what few friends we have and alienate every single person we meet. It's not viable at all for anyone in a command role. There's a reason the Imperium uses them pretty much exclusively as assassins.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
You know if the grey knights are already going to be in the warp searching for Fabiyan, we should try to talk them into having a few try out doing the Great Crusade heroquest. Going into the warp to try to have affects on the real world, less likely to be willing to do experimentally, but if it's basically what they're already doing...
(I suggest the Great Crusade because finding the primarchs was initially its primary purpose and the reunification of humanity a nice plus. I imagine its king of dragon pass list would look something like "find someone missing, reunite the divided, then the standard strengthen the quester bring back a treasure.")

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Oct 2, 2015

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Finally had time to check back on this! I'm voting Train, go Psyker, because why the heck not? Magos, Inquisitor, Psyker, Lord Sire... What other major titles are there to pick up (NOT including Demon Prince or associated ones)? Commissar would mean working within the confines of the military, which doesn't seem our style, but we could probably find some more things to slap on our medal ribbon...

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

mepstein73 posted:

Finally had time to check back on this! I'm voting Train, go Psyker, because why the heck not? Magos, Inquisitor, Psyker, Lord Sire... What other major titles are there to pick up (NOT including Demon Prince or associated ones)? Commissar would mean working within the confines of the military, which doesn't seem our style, but we could probably find some more things to slap on our medal ribbon...

The only one we would ever need is "high lord".

Full blank here is bad, because everyone hates us and wants to murder us (more than normal) because we're inherently wrong. Psyker is bad because no one likes the fellow on the same planet, much less next to you, turning into a pile of daemons that wandered by for the free lunch. Soul binding makes it a slightly smaller chance of happening than normal but doesn't erase it.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Kinetica posted:

The only one we would ever need is "high lord".

Full blank here is bad, because everyone hates us and wants to murder us (more than normal) because we're inherently wrong. Psyker is bad because no one likes the fellow on the same planet, much less next to you, turning into a pile of daemons that wandered by for the free lunch. Soul binding makes it a slightly smaller chance of happening than normal but doesn't erase it.

We've been possessed and exorcised. Further daemonic possession is functionally impossible. Accidentally causing gravity to reverse or a portal to the warp opening are entirely possible however.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Tran posted:

We've been possessed and exorcised. Further daemonic possession is functionally impossible. Accidentally causing gravity to reverse or a portal to the warp opening are entirely possible however.

Part of the reason I brought up possession was if we ever turn to chaos, it means ohone would do so willingly, and being an exorcised makes her a perfect double agent.
There's some ordos who only use those because there's a minimum bar of trustworthyness/anti chaos they require for their line of duties.

and that would make for some interesting storytelling.

I for one look forward to seeing what lowell could come up with to actually tempt the thread down that papth.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

LowellDND posted:

K, OP of links updated. Tran, at some point I want to steal you for updating the gear/stat mods.

Next up, getting the vote count.

It's mostly finished, just need a chance to hash out a couple details with you in IRC or something.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Montage

Under the Warp sky, under the ice of Titan – the endless training of the Grey Knights. And their affiliates, the Ordo Malleus of the Inquisition. Layers of secrecy buried as thick as the glaciers themselves – less than one person in a trillion trillion knew that the Grey Knights were agents of older powers – that which was called the Cabal.

A place of secrets, then. Secrets wrapped inside mysteries wrapped inside an enigma.

When Malcador the Sigil formed this place, pushed an entire moon into the Warp by sheer force of will – he enacted further strangeness upon it. It is well known by those who travel the Empyrean that time is only a passing thing. A shifting tide can bring you centuries in your past, in your future. What is less known, though, is that there are … whirlpools. Sinkholes in the Warp, or something that could be akin to doldrums. Such is trying to describing that other place.

It was in one of these that Titan floats, and time does not pass here. For those with the tools to measure, perhaps – a year on Titan might be a day in the mundane world. It was in this way that Malcador formed the Grey Knights in only a few days, bringing them forth when they were most needed. An entire chapter of Space Marines, veteran and learned. It is here, then, that you are taught their secrets.

For the Beast, waiting in orbit; it is only a week. For you, it is seven full years, spent under the tutelage of the foremost experts of the Great Enemy in the entire Imperium. It took half that long just to fortify your mind against the secrets you would learn – raising your mental shields, an indomitable fortress of basalt and steel. The first few secrets hidden there were the ones you had used in the exorcism of the gifts of the Great Enemy. They were the first of many.

You were not a psyker, that much was true. Not for you, the mightiest works of the Grey Knights. Instead, you learned the most ancient lore of the Inquisition, the most terrible daemons, the lost battles, the conquered foes. You met captured and bound daemons, deep within the most protected vaults. Tortured eternally by the Faith that surrounded them, they spat and hissed, promising awful truths and agreeable lies in equal measure. With acolytes who had not yet become Knights, you stood vigil against them.

Not just the works of the Great Enemy – tactics and strategy, logistics, the best applications of force – hammer and scalpel. Kozilek taught you many things, and your mind whirled with the possibilities. If you had known these methods when you had dueled Devries! Or, far worse, if he had learned these tricks and stratagems. You were Kozilek’s apprentice in truth, and he taught you as such. You learned the variance of deployments, the vagaries of fate.

And then, message from Outside – Mars awaited. You had been requested by name.

SerSpook
Feb 13, 2012

Titan is a massive hyperbolic time chamber, eh?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

SerSpook posted:

Titan is a massive hyperbolic time chamber, eh?

Hilariously, the bit with Malcador is canon :D

The belt

If your staff and crew noticed any difference in your appearance, they didn’t comment upon it. It would have been difficult, given that you wore synthetic skin and augmented eyes, but you thought that some of them would know. Something in your posture, perhaps, or your voice. Something about you showed you had learned that which could never be forgotten, that which should have never been learned.

The Beast was one of the largest Rogue Trader ships known, carved out of the ancient wreck of a Space Hulk – but here, at the heart of Humanity and the Imperium, it was a minnow among mountains. Battle stations the size of small moons drifted through the void, constantly surveiling all about them. There were only a handful of planets in the galaxy that could be considered the most fortified – Cadia, Armageddon – and Sol was home to three of them. Titan, Mars, and Holy Terra. From Titan you left, to Mars you approached.

The distance was not far - a few handful of AU – but it took some weeks of travel regardless, even on the expedited route as you were. The asteroid belt was an asteroid belt no longer, instead a fortress ring. What the ancients might have called a Ringworld, although it was not one solid piece. It circled an entire orbit of the sun, and every gram of metal and stone was devoted to weapons and wards.

There were two paths, one for pilgrims and one for the elite, but both travelled the entire ring, scanned a thousand times by a thousand ships for a thousand days. So it was said, anyway – the pilgrimage route was far longer, a generation of genuflection, while the elite path was a couple of months. Even a mission such as yours, with the fate of the Imperium your message, the safety of Terra could not be risked. Every moment of every day, you felt the static of scans radiating from devices the size of mountains, and in your dreams were the endless chanting of psykers.

Mars itself – Sacred Mars! The beginning of the Machine-Cult, the source and library of all of Humanity’s knowledge – filled your horizon. Finally. It would be difficult to call a planet, anymore – instead, it was a loose orbit of thousands of hive cities, small continents and shifting mountain ranges. It had been cracked like an egg some long ago, and the mining machines of the Mechanicus had dug deep. Not a planet, then. A trillion trillion humans and servitors, living and building in slow orbit around each other.

Macrocannons the size of cities examined your approach. Cautiously, reverently, you descended.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
I always suspected

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The Cloud

Mars was too small for an atmosphere, originally. The Dark Age of Technology had responded to the problem simply – launching gigatons of comets from the Outer Cloud, crashing them into the planet. Normally, any such geoengineering would knock a planet off its orbit, ruin its rotation, any number of catastrophes – but the weight and speed were timed so precisely as to barely shift it at all. It was nearly Terra in size, then, with the atmosphere to compare.

Back then, anyway. One hundred and fifty centuries of factories and hive cities had done rather a number on the once clean atmosphere. Descending into low orbit, then, was as sinking into a swamp – corrosive and hungry. If your ship had had paint, it would have peeled off immediately, and you were actually concerned how long it would take for the hull to begin melting off as well.

And low orbit was a sometime thing, in a place such as this. Below you, kilometers below you, a hundred hive cities shifted and spun, themselves constantly changing, and below them were layers of hundreds of more. It gave you the dizzy feeling of looking into the primordial ooze, and seeing the first monocellular creatures devouring each other. Except these were hive cities, and the ooze they flowed through was the atmosphere itself.

Around you, in similar orbits – thousands of Ark Mechanicus. Entire fleets, armadas of fleets. You couldn’t even say if that was unusual for here, this birthplace of the Mechanicus. Did they launch these numbers every year, or was this an event similar to the Great Crusade? You couldn’t say. You knew, though, that your ship, the one that so often dominated any skyline it entered in, felt very small here.

One shifting platform – a hundred kilometers or more to a side – highlighted in colors, mandating your landing. It was a slab of a thing, looking like nothing more than an infantry carrier, if one was transporting a billion troops. Deploying it would be something unimaginable – the engines alone would need to be the size of your ship. And yet, you felt the odd twinge that such a thing might be possible. That the most ancient secrets of the Mechanicus were being revealed.

As you approached in your shuttle, you could see them. A parade ground the size of cities. Hundreds of millions of servitors, hundreds of millions of Skitairri. Thousands of Magi, supported by the swarms of lesser Tech-Priests. Flanking them all, a full regiment of Titans, one hundred strong. One end of the slab was highlighted for your shuttle - the other, the densest cluster of Magi. On an elevated platform, these Magi stood alone.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Oh poo poo. Are we meeting the Arch-Magi and the Coglords?

That's the name of my next band.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Keep the sass to a minimum.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Finally, FINALLY, someone almost manages to give Ohone the proper welcome and amount of respect she is owed.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

After seven years hard training in the time chamber, it's time for a change of fashion. Change your hair to blonde, too. :goku:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Nah dude blue and red is a terrible combo.

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

Has seven years on titan given us a chance to recover from any of the craziness/corruption we've accumulated? That's got to be the longest time Ohone has ever had without having to directly deal with one crisis of immense scale or another.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Getting the demon tumor should have some effect, surely?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Flip.The.Table

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Do not attempt to assert our authority over these people.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Good postin'

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Waci posted:

Do not attempt to assert our authority over these people.
We aren't Ordo Machinum, so we don't have any authority over these people.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Walk straight up, wait through any last line security measures they may have in place, then simply deliver a detailed report via burst transmission. No embellishments, no emotion.

These are the elite of the machine cult. They left humanity behind long ago, and do not value it in others. They will value the knowledge we offer and efficiency in presentation.

As for what to include in the report, I recommend the following

• All information on depth, air pressure, air contents, geologic makeup, and dimensions of the cavern that we may possess.
  • A copy of the sanitized records we took from Magos Angelika Desparrois
  • A brief description of all observed original components.
  • A description of the dimensions of the stasis field the Olympus created.
  • Detailed recordings and scans of our newly upgraded titan.
  • An "additional data of interest" subsection regarding all suitably orthodox research salvaged from Kiera or our space marine warp delusion.

Tran fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 5, 2015

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Tran posted:

Walk straight up, wait through any last line security measures they may have in place, then simply deliver a detailed report via burst transmission. No embellishments, no emotion.

These are the elite of the machine cult. They left humanity behind long ago, and do not value it in others. They will value the knowledge we offer and efficiency in presentation.

As for what to include in the report, I recommend the following

• All information on depth, air pressure, air contents, geologic makeup, and dimensions of the cavern that we may possess.
  • A copy of the sanitized records we took from Magos Angelika Desparrois
  • A brief description of all observed original components.
  • A description of the dimensions of the stasis field the Olympus created.
  • Detailed recordings and scans of our newly upgraded titan.
  • An "additional data of interest" subsection regarding all suitably orthodox research salvaged from Kiera or our space marine warp delusion.

Good effort post. Do this.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Verify their identity first. These could be lackeys for the real Arch-Magos. Do it politely and efficiently.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

The Fabricator General will be almost impossible to mistake. They will look more like a giant shambling mound of metal parts than a person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Tran posted:

The Fabricator General will be almost impossible to mistake. They will look more like a giant shambling mound of metal parts than a person.

We're on Mars, how much do you think that narrows it down?