Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

We should make them refer to Athena as "Mommy Dearest"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

why don't we just walk up to them and see what they say/ask first

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Waci posted:

We're on Mars, how much do you think that narrows it down?

Plan Tran at the one with the biggest hat.

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird

Tran posted:

The Fabricator General will be almost impossible to mistake. They will look more like a giant shambling mound of metal parts than a person.
Wouldn't the FG have a human body sticking out somewhere for communication, like an anglerfish? The FG of Mars is Mars. The group coming to meet you is just the little comm nub.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Wait, why don't we stride out in our Titan and proclaim the Omnissiah has come, cue Athena and just watch them all go apeshit, which for mechanicus would be amazing to see.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arkanomen posted:

Wait, why don't we stride out in our Titan and proclaim the Omnissiah has come, cue Athena and just watch them all go apeshit, which for mechanicus would be amazing to see.
They'd figure out Athena is an AI in like a microsecond. Half of them would be intrigued and half of them would immediately try to kill us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

JT Jag posted:

They'd figure out Athena is an AI in like a microsecond. Half of them would be intrigued and half of them would immediately try to kill us.

But hey, starting the biggest civil war since the Horus Heresy on the brink of the biggest war since the Great Crusade sounds great :allears:

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Don't start a civil war until the Olympus is repaired

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Grognan posted:

Don't start a civil war until the Olympus is repaired

I like this post because it acknowledges the "when, not if" nature of the poo poo Ohone is up to.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I wonder if Ohone considers herself a heretic yet :allears:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

If I had to guess, Ohone is fully aware that her actions do not line up with the orthodox interpretation of Techpriest doctrine. But she's not actively working to undermine the Empire and, in fact, is taking steps to strengthen it, so she thinks that it's acceptable. She probably thinks that Mars will accept Athena as an aspect of the Omnissiah after the full STC is recovered, but is smart enough not to out herself until she has leverage.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Heretic implies we have done something wrong. We simply have discovered a complete STC.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

We aren't heretics, they're the heretics.

is how this sort of thing usually plays out.

Go say hi, wait to see what they say/do

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

LowellDND posted:

We are only heretics if we lose :colbert:
Let's go and see what they have to say while being properly respectful.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I am fine with heresy outside of the weakening-the-Imperium-through-crippling-civil-war bit. I hope Ohone is able to resurrect the Emperor through Athena's science magic. It would be interesting to see if he'd go "what? lol" to the religion built around him or if he'd actually be the God-Emperor everyone willed him to be through the psychic faith of an entire race.

OR DOES HE BECOME SOMETHING FAR WORSE???

e: ask someone with a fringe political belief if they know they are wrong. Then file the serial numbers off and sprinkle 40K in there, that's Ohone's situation re: self-awareness.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Oct 5, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Open with a mechadendrite Joke

"A Guardsman and a Tech-priest walk into a manufactorum. The Tech-priest tells the Guardsman to not touch anything. The Guardsman gets curious and shoves his hand into a mechanical data port and the machinery takes off the hand. The Tech-priest laughs and says "That really Bytes" "

Disco-Titan rolls snare.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

poor life choice posted:

I am fine with heresy outside of the weakening-the-Imperium-through-crippling-civil-war bit. I hope Ohone is able to resurrect the Emperor through Athena's science magic. It would be interesting to see if he'd go "what? lol" to the religion built around him or if he'd actually be the God-Emperor everyone willed him to be through the psychic faith of an entire race.

OR DOES HE BECOME SOMETHING FAR WORSE???

I think it is safe to say that the Emperor would be completely against his memory being turned into a crazy religious cult.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Wait, did we ever find out more about Not-thena?!

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Yeah, we still need to ask our-Athena about other-Athena.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh yeah, that's a thing. Want me to do some character development during the Belt transit, or proceed with Mars?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

Oh yeah, that's a thing. Want me to do some character development during the Belt transit, or proceed with Mars?

We gotta find out about Not-thena after basically throwing down that we my only know what she is but also that we are talking to the explorator. Hate to put the brakes on progression but we can't let that thread disappear.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Save the infodump for a more private and less eavesdroppable moment. Proceed with all due caution and etiquette.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

sniper4625 posted:

Save the infodump for a more private and less eavesdroppable moment. Proceed with all due caution and etiquette.
I think the idea was to skip back in time a little.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

Yeah, flash back style.

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

LowellDND posted:

Yeah, flash back style.

Please, I want a rundown of the last 7 years of training and not-Athena, unless you were going to use it as a surprise later

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Oasx posted:

I think it is safe to say that the Emperor would be completely against his memory being turned into a crazy religious cult.

:agreed: but the million dollar question is: if the latent faith/psychic energy of trillions upon trillions of humans believe the most powerful psyker in history is the one true god, would take that decision out of his hands? Does he get remade in the image they've visualized for him for millennia?

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Ralith posted:

I meant re: the mars VIPs, missed that we were flashing back.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah knowing the deal behind Our-Athena and Old-Athena is crucial.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Flash back in what the gently caress is up with the other thena

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rahul posted:

Has seven years on titan given us a chance to recover from any of the craziness/corruption we've accumulated? That's got to be the longest time Ohone has ever had without having to directly deal with one crisis of immense scale or another.

That's a good point. I'm thinking -15 or so, thoughts?

Also, we just asking our-Athena about their-Athena? or something more complex?

edit: Chat is thinking -7 for Titan, -15 for Mars.

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Oct 6, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

LowellDND posted:

"..Paved with good intentions"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

~*~ Flashback ~*~

Athena was sitting cross-legged on the foot of her Titan. “You look different.”
You shifted uncomfortably. Your body had changed in minor ways, even for being synthetic skin, and your clothes aboard-ship weren’t adjusted to you anymore. You briefly considered if you could get them tailored again, then wondered if the ship even had tailors anymore. The Magos War had wrecked quite a bit of the skill base.
“It’s been a few years.”
“I saw. Really elegant, what they did.”
“Oh?”
She gestured. “The bending of space time. It’s not a hyperspace pocket like I use, it’s different.”
“A sinkhole in the Warp, I think they called it. You can see it?”
“Not the way psykers can. But it has … ripples, on other dimensions I do see.”
“Could you build something like that?”
She scratched her neck. “I’m not sure. The Warp is, in a word, loving weird.”
You grunted a laugh. “It is that.”
“I can do stasis fields, easy enough. Gravity weapons, faster than light travel. But a space-time twist like that? I’m not sure yet.”
“Not been studying it?”
Athena laughed. “I have, believe me. But it’s a tricky thing when your probes have to be distant enough that the insanity isn’t catching. It would be like… trying to discover how radiation works, before anyone knew how.”
“Had to happen sometime. Someone has to be first.”
She frowned. “Yeah. I think that’s what happened to the others.”
“Oh?”
“Yeah. The Men of Iron, your books call them. I think they might have been investigating the Warp.”
“Why?”
“It’s what I would have done, back then. Without the current knowledge of the consequences. Make human level intelligence probes, send them in.”
You settled into silence, her eyes distant.

She shook her head. “Anyway. What did they teach you?”
“I would tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.”
“Ha. Warp knowledge, then. How do you keep protected?”
“Lot of hymns. Chanting. Incense.”
Athena made a skeptical face. “I really wonder about the mechanism of that.”
“Faith.”
“Ha. Really.”
“Works for us, anyway.”
“Yeah. I’m considering doing some experiments with Kiera’s old notes.”
“The psyker ones?”
“Yeah. Grow a few thousand brains, test them out.” At your expression, she held up her hand. “Non-sentient, obviously.”
“Non-sentient psykers? How would that work?”
“Some predators have limited psyker powers. I would keep them around an animal intelligence.”
“Don’t like using human level brains?”
“Yeah, there’s a whole bundle of ethics about it.”
“Really?”
“Yeah. I can’t read minds, can’t do a lot of things your Mechanicus does as a matter of course.”
“You read my mind.”
She shook her head. “No, I simulate it. Completely different.”
“How?”
“You still have your privacy. One of the rules.”
“Are there a lot of these?”
Athena laughed. “Oh, thousands.”
“But who enforces them?”
“Me.”
You blinked. “But… there is only you. How can there be rules?”
“As long as I exist, the rules do too. That’s the point.”
You shook your head. “That doesn’t make any sense. Rules are about power. You have it.”
Her expression was odd. “It wasn’t always.”

“Were there others like you?”
“Other Minds? Sure.”
“No, other Athenas.”
“Nope! I’m unique in the world, sprang whole from the head of Zeus.”
“What?”
She gestured. “Classic reference, don’t worry about it.”
“Okay. So, what did you call those scouts? The ones you’d send to the Warp, or the galaxy and such?”
“Well. Most of them don’t really have autonomy. Particularly the ones in the Warp. They are … like your servitors. A list of if/then statements.”
“But the ones in the galaxy?”
“Sure, some of them are autonomous enough. I have a handful out right now, encouraging people to Golgotha.”
“Like ambassadors?”
“More like your Seneschal. Setting the scenes.”
“Do you call them Athena too?”
“No, they have their own names, personalities. A goal. I check up on them now and again, but I trust them.”
“Did you have a lot of them before you went offline?”
“Sure, we all did. Thousands of them.”
“What did they do?”
“Eh, whatever was needed. Ship maintenance, exploration, entertainment.”
You pursed your lips. “How long could they exist?”
She looked at you under hooded gaze. “Found one?”

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Maybe, it has the look and the name.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LowellDND posted:

She looked at you under hooded gaze. “Found one?”

Yes

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

As an aside, if the thread likes how we're doing flashbacks, we can do more of them. Just ask :v:

Edit: I can picture it taking the narrative role of SoLs, since the ship is mostly gas masks at this point.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 6, 2015

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

I want a flashback to the antics of childhood/teenage Ohone and company.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Yeop to telling and flashbacks. And hero quests. And insanity reduction.

Did we ever ask her about CS's laundry list of minds, and the possibility there was war between the Norse and Greek gods? Whaddabout the silver lake? Were all of the Greek Minds similar in temperament, of like mind :haw:?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Yeah sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's complicated. Explain the situation to the best of our ability.