Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
KEEP GOING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Keep telling him everything. It is better to let it out now and tell the closest thing we can come to an ally, than wait and risk having everything blow up in our face when somebody actually starts asking us real questions.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Even telling 'everything' its PROBABLY best go leave off "oh and my dynastic founder says a chaos primarch invented the imperial cult."

So uh, everything except for anything about the origins of the imperial/omnissiah cults

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Based on the whole "we're a ship on the ocean of this guy's mind" thing I am willing to bet he can at least sense that we contact Athena, if not listen in. Just food for thought.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

I have a destroyer pew pew

“Now, that is interesting. I would have thought a Rogue Trader would have been all about the social elevation. Getting this information to me, maybe get a seat at the table in the new Pax Mechanicus.”
You blinked. “Not at the cost of a new civil war.”
“But not even as method of ‘saving’ everyone, either. At least, not as your first priority.”
“Well. It seems premature to be making plans about ‘a seat at the table’ for an event a dozen centuries in the future, particularly when Golgotha is happening right now.’
He laughed. “I sometimes forget how young you are.”
“I like to keep busy.”
“I see that. So what do you want out of this, if not Pax Mechanicus?”
Fabiyan. “Status quo, or an improvement to it.”
“Status quo isn’t worth keeping. We’re losing, you know.” Graphs and maps flickered across your vision faster than you could follow. “Even if the Throne survives, we’ll be overrun a millennia or two later. The Golgotha plan is … very much, a ‘have faith’ moment.”
“Is that something you have?” The question was impetuous, unexpected.

“Hah. I trust the machines. I trust physical laws, I trust consistency.”
“But not in the God-Emperor.”
“Faith in the God-Emperor was always more the area of Lorgar’s expertise.”
A passing thought. “What, then, makes a human?”
A shadow passed over the Fabricator’s face. “I find the better question is what unmakes one.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
:panic:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
When is a human no longer a human? Hm.

I think the defining human aspect is our determination, our stamina, our will to overcome the odds and make the universe fit us, rather than us fit it. One ceases to be human when one voluntarily surrenders their fate to someone else, and is no longer able to pave their own path.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
:frogon:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Fear. Fear unmakes a human. Fear of failure, fear of being insignificant, fear of death. Fear pushes us to become monsters and the demons in the warp find purchase.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Arkanomen posted:

Fear. Fear unmakes a human. Fear of failure, fear of being insignificant, fear of death. Fear pushes us to become monsters and the demons in the warp find purchase.

Nice.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
What unmakes a human? Sufficient firepower.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Call and response

“I find concentrated lasfire works wonderfully.”
“Hah. But no, they are still human, if somewhat dead at the moment.”
“At the moment?”
“Sure. We might turn them into servitors, for example. Are they still human?”
“I wouldn’t think so. They lack autonomy.”
“So autonomy makes someone human? And losing it means you are no longer so?”
“I think we could say that.”
He peered at you. “But the Imperium asks all its servants to serve. You and I, we may have autonomy in our decisions, but for every one of us, there are a billion dregs.”
“They still choose to serve.”
“Do they? Or are they just placed there by circumstance?”
“We can’t choose our circumstances, but we choose how we respond to them. Whether we serve or become traitors.”
“So, service is what makes humanity.”
You considered. “No, I don’t think so. Servitors serve, but they aren’t human. The choice is what matters.”
“So if we no longer have a choice?”
“We always have a choice. Fear might make us think we don’t, fear of consequences, of loss, of insignificance. But we still have a choice.”
“Therefore, fear is what unmakes a human.”
You paused, thought it through. “Yes.”
“So I think the question at this point would be; what do you fear, Ohone Konichev?”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Losing my humanity in the pursuit of saving humanity.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

RandomPauI posted:

Losing my humanity in the pursuit of saving humanity.

seconded

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Futility. We actually think we can make a difference. Even hearing the God-Emperor is winding down we put forward an alternative plan and keep talking. I bet the idea that we can't impact the world is pretty scary.

Failing that, we definitely shake off fate points like they terrify us.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Futility. We actually think we can make a difference. Even hearing the God-Emperor is winding down we put forward an alternative plan and keep talking. I bet the idea that we can't impact the world is pretty scary.

So what you are saying is what we fear ... is fate :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
scratch that.

e: I fear that I will live to see the fallout of my choices.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Considering the odds, failure.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The consequences of our mistakes.

No matter what ridiculous scenarios or impossible enemies Ohone has been up against, the only things to ever truly unnerve her driving force (goons) have been her own choices. Given the nature of the game, that has become a defining trait. She should own up to the fact that out of all her failings, that's the one most likely to bring her down.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

These guns *flexes*

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I like futility. Rage against the dying light. It keeps us human.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Futility is perfect.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

poor life choice posted:

This is definitely the most Ohone answer. Ohone is driven by the idea that she can do something to make the Galaxy and the Imperium a better place. Her greatest fear is that she's wrong.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

*points 2 dilz*

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright Futility's won me over.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Xun posted:

*points 2 dilz*

Changing everyone's answer to this

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grimdark grimdark grimdark

You met his gaze evenly. “I fear futility. I fear fate controlling everything I do, every decision being meaningless, everything predestined. I want to know, not that my choice matters, but that I have in fact a choice at all.”
“You must not be happy with the death grip fate has had on your Dynasty, then.”
“Our Family has the spotlight of the galaxy on us, that much is true. But we have decided what to do from there. Suceed or fail, serve or turn traitor, we have decided.”
“And your experience in the Webways hasn’t changed that?”
His knowledge of that didn’t surprise you. “It has certainly disturbed me. Have you travelled the Webways, Fabricator?”
“Certainly.”
“Then you know what I found, in my journeys to the past.”
“A closed loop.”
“A closed loop. What does it say, then, that my deepest fears may in fact be true? That my destiny is written by others, decided by others?”
He shrugged. “Better minds than you - or I - have made themselves mad thinking of it. There is a branch of Magi who work with Temporal mechanics. Or they will someday, they aren’t clear on that.”
“Would have preferred them to the Eldar. Or, for that matter, I would have preferred the Ordos Chronos.”
The Fabricator grunted. “They tell me their message is on their way.”
“Doesn’t do me much good now, does it.”
“‘Now’ is such an imprecise term, I find.”

You settled back thoughtfully. Spoke after a time. “What were you looking for?”
“Hm?”
“In the Webways. What were you trying to change?”
“Oh. I told Odin he had seen the wrong future.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Now we can tell him about Athena

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

RandomPauI posted:

Now we can tell him about Athena

Yeah

If this is a trap its a drat good one.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tell him, but ease into it. "Odin, the name sounds similar to another I've heard before."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Full disclosure now, call in Athena

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's entirely possible we're dealing with an ally here. Honestly, the stuff we're up against directly is so huge we'll need allies the size of Mars to stand anything like a chance. Let's be honest and lay our cards on the table. If anyone is likely to understand our goals, it is our fellow Magi.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A reminder: Odin is one of the war AIs that Athena said rebelled, causing the end of the golden age. I have no idea what it means that the Fabricator is working with him.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well my first instinct is now we know why they rebelled: because odin had predicted/foreseen something that made it appropriate, but evidently was wrong.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Odin? I've heard some interesting references to that in my research on the finding on Golgotha. One of the abominable intelligences of the Dark Ages?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Ralith posted:

A reminder: Odin is one of the war AIs that Athena said rebelled, causing the end of the golden age. I have no idea what it means that the Fabricator is working with him.

Not working with him. Sounds like he's implying that he went back in time to try to warn Odin so the AI war doesn't happen.

Might have accidentally caused it instead?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Ralith posted:

I think our millennia-removed ancestor said that's the legend of happened, not Athena. Athena (says she) was dormant at that time.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

*points 2 dilz-- I mean tell him about Athena

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Potentiality a trap question for us, testing familiarity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
"Did it work?"

He might have tried to prevent the Iron Men uprising, or he might have caused it. Alternatively, Ching Shih might be wrong about which Mind was on which side, but still.