Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
I think we can be inquisitive here without that being weakness. The guy's dangling some interesting info, I'll take that bait.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
And what happened?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

sullat posted:

Odin? I've heard some interesting references to that in my research on the finding on Golgotha. One of the abominable intelligences of the Dark Ages?

upon further reflection Bring up Lucifer in regards to Odin, referencing anastasia and our time on titan instead of golgotha. "Hey fabricator-general, that sounds a lot like...."

Its a way to bring up the subject and discuss it, at least.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Waci posted:

"Did it work?"

He might have tried to prevent the Iron Men uprising, or he might have caused it. Alternatively, Ching Shih might be wrong about which Mind was on which side, but still.
Ask this

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Questions that need answering

“Did it work?”
He chuckled humorlessly. “Closed loops, as you discovered. Odin went off like a drat fool, talking about how he was needed at Ragnarok. Well, it killed him, sure enough, but it wasn’t the end of things.”
“I think some people might contest that last bit.”
“Heh. What do you think, are we in the end of things?”
“If the Throne is failing, and the armies are failing… Maybe the end of things as we know them.”
“Ah, to be young again.”
“You think it’s the end of things?”
He glanced at you. “Are you trying to convince me, or yourself?”

You paused, changed the subject. “When was this? Who was Odin?”
“A long time ago, and I used the Webways to go back even further. Odin was… a great warrior. A leader.”
“In the Great Crusade?”
“Sure. Point was, I tried to warn him, and I sometimes think I caused it.”
You made a show of being confused. “The Heresy?”
He waved it off. “Old events, Ohone, from long ago. I get a chance to talk, and I end up telling old stories no one remembers.”
“Who were you fighting? Orks?”
“Machines.”
“Ah. Iron Men.”
He glanced away.

“What happened afterwards?”
A shrug. “We tried to pick up the pieces, those of us who survived. It took a long time.”
“Is that how you became Fabricator?”
“In a roundabout sort of way, I suppose.”
“So you entered the Webways as a Magi, tried to convince Odin, and it didn’t work? How did you know about Odin, decide to choose him to try to change?”
“It scarcely matters at this point, don’t you think?”

(edited ending)

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Oct 16, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

(edit)

(for those who saw it, I got tangled in my plots and it went to a weird place)

K, so. Let's focus this a bit.

Do we tell him about Athena? If not, is there anything else you want to ask him? Finally, do we want a Titan test fight?

(my line of thinking is that we're mostly just having conversations at this point, and I think we should get back to the plot :D )

Loel fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 16, 2015

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
No, don't tell him. Knowledge is power, guard it well.

And yes, of course we want a Titan death match- why would you even ask?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Kinetica posted:

No, don't tell him. Knowledge is power, guard it well.

And yes, of course we want a Titan death match- why would you even ask?

Thought you might want to save that poor Imperator for Golgotha :D But I guess we should blow up centuries of labor for entertainment :D

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Thought you might want to save that poor Imperator for Golgotha :D But I guess we should blow up centuries of labor for entertainment :D

Psh, Athena can just make us another one

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Odin was a friend. He knew Athena. Let's show him everything was not lost.
Full disclosure

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Tell him

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Arkanomen posted:

Odin was a friend. He knew Athena. Let's show him everything was not lost.
Full disclosure
No, again, Odin was one of the rebellious AIs that got us in this situation in the first place.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Ralith posted:

No, again, Odin was one of the rebellious AIs that got us in this situation in the first place.
I think that's just CS's myth. The takeaway is that Minds fought each other. Athena says she wasn't there for that.

Tell him about Athena.

I am enjoying this conversation and like the idea of the leader of Mars being on board(?) with an intact, not-evil(?????) Mind would be awesome A+ cool & good.

Also, the edited post owned.

I thought it was very revelatory that the 40K universe is in an autistic child's snowglobe.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
I think we should ask Athena when we get back to the beast if she wants to talk to him. We really shouldn't reveal her without her consent. I'm sure we can arrange it at that point.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Set up battle bot --> talk to athena ---> decide ---> ??? ---> heresy

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Set up titan test. We can ask Athena if she think we should tell the fabricator-general about her.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Waci posted:

Set up titan test. We can ask Athena if she think we should tell the fabricator-general about her.

This seems sufficiently prudent.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Waci posted:

plan waci

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Plan Waci sounds good.
I like Space Grandpa, but we should consult with Athena before we give away anything more.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
Plan Waci

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
I would like to tell him that all hope is not lost. In other words, "I know Athena. And not just her ancient agent on Titan."

Also, I would like to save the titan battle for later.

Actually, does anyone else find it interesting that he describes "what unmakes a human" more concretely than what makes one? How do we know he's not gone traitor already? Assuming that Tech Priests are involved in keeping the Corpse God alive, who's to say he's not ushering him along to his demise?

I want to ask, instead of offering hope, "What is your current plan for after the end?" Will he serve the Enemy? Will he retreat and start afresh? How would he feel about leaving and starting afresh with us a few millennia early? How loyal is he to the Emperor?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Find a table and flip it. I'm not really sure why, but that seems to be what we want to do lately.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The removed post could be said to do that :v: So if you reeeeeeeallly want to...

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Do we know that the Corpse-god and his warpy flashlight are attracting bugs into the room? If so we should make the case that it's imperative that non-warp FTL be phased in ASAP regardless of what happens to the guy on the chair. Secondary to that we also need to revive him (if only he can be dismayed over what happened to his atheistic legacy).

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

The removed post could be said to do that :v: So if you reeeeeeeallly want to...

I think revealing Athena is a supremely high risk/reward option and I love it. Mars just straight up told us that the center cannot hold. So we show him our whole hand. If he turns out to be a Bad Man maybe Athena can, I dunno, electronically brown note him and we escape or she takes over. If Athena is a Bad Man and grandpa Rick isn't, well, we pick a side. If they're both good, this is the best thing. If they're both Bad Mans, well... tim_curry_laugh.mp3

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Switch to the Ultrasonic frequency Athena taught us. "One of your sisters is alive. If you still want to fix things, she can help."

He's just let slip that he's one of the AI. From the context of things I'm guessing he's a lost shell like the Athena on Titan, it makes sense he'd try to rebuild some semblance of his processing power here on Mars. Can't fault his choice of cover ID, it's hard to call him on his mechanical nature when he's leading the literal machine cult.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Tran posted:

Switch to the Ultrasonic frequency Athena taught us. "One of your sisters is alive. If you still want to fix things, she can help."

He's just let slip that he's one of the AI. From the context of things I'm guessing he's a lost shell like the Athena on Titan, it makes sense he'd try to rebuild some semblance of his processing power here on Mars. Can't fault his choice of cover ID, it's hard to call him on his mechanical nature when he's leading the literal machine cult.

THAT's what was tickling my brain. He did kind of let slip he's an AI didn't he.

Tran Plan

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Tell him

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

:allears:

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

LowellDND posted:

A shrug. “We tried to pick up the pieces, those of us who survived. It took a long time.”

Ain't a whole lotta' ways he could've survived from the Fall to now :P

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Tran posted:

Ain't a whole lotta' ways he could've survived from the Fall to now :P
Aside from being a super competent tech priest and therefore functionally immortal?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
FULL AND OPEN HONESTY WITH OUR COOL SPACE VOID DRAGON AI GRANDPA

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Full disclose
Ark
sniper
plc
tran
deadmeat5150
paragon
volmarias

battlebot! and ask athena
Nyaa
Waci
Outrail
Xun
Swedish
gnarl

Don’t tell
Kinetica

more info
mepstein73

Intriguingly close :D

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
PLAN TRAN

16:28 lowel who might be considered good at telling the future, out of the pantheons?
16:28 Grognan uhh
16:28 lowel I am unsure
16:28 Grognan a minor AI named Cassandra?
16:29 Grognan gently caress me if the olympians were vulnerable to chaos we have problems
16:29 Grognan Ares and Aphrodite might go off the rails
16:30 lowel <3
16:30 Grognan Hephaestus would have forged mars, like ninety percent sure
16:30 Grognan ohshit
16:30 lowel there is one BIG reveal outside mars that we're gunna see
16:30 Grognan Apollo was the god of prophecy
16:30 Grognan patron of the Oracle

Grognan fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 17, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slice of Life LXXI

The Warp is viewed as an ocean - this is well known.

It has its tides, its currents, its doldrums. That is the whole point of the Astropaths - to find the currents that allow passage, that allow for faster-than-light travel. Of course, this metaphor isn’t a precise one - the currents travel through time as well as space, and it is a not-uncommon thing for a ship to arrive a few weeks before it was expected, a few weeks before it even left.

So perhaps it was to be expected that the Hunger-Fleets of Samech, the Hellforge, would come screaming out of the Warp, ripping vast chasms in real-space, responding to a message that hadn’t been sent yet. They can come at all speed, as fast and as many as possible, screaming through the Warp on the flames of witch-pyre engines. Thousands of ships, living and ugly things, bent and twisted, appearing suddenly in the orbit of Golgotha.

The war was supposed to be over, there. Golgotha had thrown off the xeno, had begun the rebuilding for the Crusade in the nearby sector. The hives were full of life, again, and megatons of ammo and weapons were being put into orbit, beginning their long journey to fight the Tyranids. There were guards, sure - scattered fleets of the Imperial Navy - but most had pushed on, to the more necessary battles.

Daemon engines and warp batteries, screaming howls of blood, liquid fire and laughing madmen. That was what had come to Golgotha, the Place of the Skulls.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
^^^ :ohdear:

Grognan posted:

16:30 lowel there is one BIG reveal outside mars that we're gunna see

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

quote:

The Warp is viewed as an ocean - this is well known.

Pretty big well to hold an entire ocean!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arkanomen posted:

Pretty big well to hold an entire ocean!

The well isn't holding the ocean, it just knows about it from passing rain clouds.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've made up my mind. Spill the beans on Athena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Woop!

Not a big deal, Athena is encased in a stasis shield and if they dig too deep they'll find her army of Dark Age tech machines gestating in the mantle.