Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Let it be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Anticheese posted:

Let it be.

Let the be + do some minor surveillance to check the list.

Is anyone missing from the ship? Are there people on the ship who're missing from the list?

No plans to *do* anything with the results. But it would be interesting to know about any cases where Amacita's records were incomplete.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Suggested in IRC: Adelaide gets a tutor - probably the nun/bene gesserit Tribune.

I was also thinking the Adie or the combination of both can enmesh themselves further with the Abrogates, considering Adelaide is already a Domine now that the Abrogates are missing a Domine Rex.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

page 25: you had just met the gang leaders in the Deeps
page 50: quint and tanya had just been introduced
page 75: meeting kozilek for the first time
page 100: knitting circle with sincera
page 125: the olympus
page 150: amacita’s wedding planning
page 175: talking to dwarf about factions
page 200: talking with eldar
page 225: fusion bomb incident
page 250: saving limosa
page 275: deathskull orks
page 300: tugboat
page 325: talking with cryonic lady
page 350: the manor on agatha’s world
page 375: meeting the motherfucking emperor
page 400: titan. 16,000 posts, we’re a real thread!
page 425: mars, space grandpa
page 450: luna and amacita

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Having a good discussion with Grognan -

Of the current living characters, who do you like reading?

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

LowellDND posted:

...all of them?

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Athena talking poo poo. Ching shih doing the same.

Would like to see more of galahad and limosa.

The fabricator general was a hoot too. He had a nice merry old saint nicholas robot feel to him.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Cuz Ive noticed I've killed off a tremendous amount of my NPCs, and Im wondering who the spotlight should be on :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Any surviving Tribunes should probably be your go-to if you're looking for secondary NPCs

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

Any surviving Tribunes should probably be your go-to if you're looking for secondary NPCs

We really should update the character list ... >_>

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Athena, Ching Shih, the Iron Hands, Space Grandpa, Limosa, Galahad, Eldar, Winterswijk, Edourd, pretty much the entire council.

First two most, rest in no particular order.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

LowellDND posted:

Cuz Ive noticed I've killed off a tremendous amount of my NPCs, and Im wondering who the spotlight should be on :v:

The good thing about NPCs is you can always make new ones!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Talk to Athena about our mental state, see if she has any suggestions.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

LowellDND posted:

RIP, Snarls Barkley.

May your post-scarcity rogue tradering future come to pass, hopefully with an Ohone still doing more or less the right thing.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Characters to spotlight:
  • Athena is a given, as she's central to the plot.
  • Ching Shih is similarly important enough to also require some writing time.
  • Limosa is our go-to for a level perspective on events and general overseer of all our day-to-day operations.
  • Winterswijk is a good option for comparing events before and after Ohone's ascension.
  • Jeb can be used as an example for how the rank and file view things.
  • Lastly Edourd is our window into how an established inquisitor views our upheaval.

The tribunes are still an option, though I think I rather them remain as the expendable middlemen and resources they started out as.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Earlier, on Speaking of Space Dad:
Speaking of Space Dad, part 1
Speaking of Space Dad, part 2

Speaking of space Dad, part 3

“Why not. You want to be found out even less than I do, and have nothing to gain by kidnapping me from my shuttle.”

Two relieved sighs, only slightly resembling meows.

“Show me this crowd-free observation dome of yours. If I can’t see Terra, I might just well take a look at Mars while we’re here.”

Chianti looks at her friend. “The one in the cut-off eldar wreck below the pulse-lance tribe?” Though the weapon had been maintained and reclaimed as a part of the Beast, a majority of the hsip it had originally belonged to was separated from the rest of the Beast, main passageways depressurised and exposed to the void by some forgotten disaster. Not considered a part of the populated section of In Between, it had been overlooked by the recent repairs.

“Yep. Remember where we hid from that one abrogate who saw me you with your hood down?” The two had spent a night being very quiet in a xeno maintenance cabinet, hiding from people in gas masks wielding archeotech farming implements. “I did some scouting while you looked for food, and there’s a pressurized but gravityless hallway behind it if you kick off the back panel. You can get to the dome from there.”

The old man smiles and pulls on a blue, hooded cloak. “Lead the way. It’s been a while since anyone discovered anything new on the Beast and didn’t immediately start fortifying it.”

They sneak off the ship, the the catgirls keeping an eye and a supernaturally sensitive ear on their route to avoid being seen. Except for the occasional routine patrol or maintenance crew, the section of the ship is relatively empty, containing little in the way of livable space or public facilities. Chianti mutters a prayer to the Emperor, thanking him for the plentiful nooks and crannies of a space hulk. Some thirty minutes later they find a closet with suspicious amounts of cat hair in it.

The retired lord-sire squeezes through the detached panel at the back of the cupboard and suddenly floats free, steadied by Chianti hanging by her feet from what would normally be a ceiling. The old man looks at her. “Thanks, but I grew up on a ship. I remember how to orientate in zero-g.” Before Chianti can apologise, he continues. “I’m not that old.”

“Of course not, lord-sire. My apologies.”

“No harm done. Now, which way was the dome?” Without need for an answer, he pushes himself off the wall to float after Salmari. Without power, though pressurized by air leaking into from actually maintained parts of the ship, the hallway was neither lit nor actually ventilated, and the three could see spirals of bony white dust floating in the air disturbed by their passage, glittering whenever the light from their glow-globes hit it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think we should make a list of the things Amacita did that led to her death and present it to our small council. Admit a degree of fault for not communicating the state of things well enough, but make clear that insubordination is absolutely a capital offense. Any objections or concerns must be brought to us privately, not publicly. Make it clear that Limosa has our complete confidence, something Amacita never had - she assumed power, she was not granted it. Make our upcoming goals clear. Communicate the reasons for the Golgotha campaign with a high degree of honesty - make it clear the Throne itself is at stake. Be open. Allow questions. We need to get a hold of this now, before mutiny starts to look attractive to anyone we need.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Step back for a moment, breathe, and assess the situation tactically.

We are Mechanicus, emotion is beneath us. The right path will be found through a thoughtful assessment of our situation and resources.

ArbitraryTA fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Nov 8, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waci posted:

Earlier, on Speaking of Space Dad:
Speaking of Space Dad, part 1
Speaking of Space Dad, part 2

Speaking of space Dad, part 3
The old man smiles and pulls on a blue, hooded cloak. “Lead the way. It’s been a while since anyone discovered anything new on the Beast and didn’t immediately start fortifying it.”

Hah :D

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

VanSandman posted:

I think we should make a list of the things Amacita did that led to her death and present it to our small council. Admit a degree of fault for not communicating the state of things well enough, but make clear that insubordination is absolutely a capital offense. Any objections or concerns must be brought to us privately, not publicly. Make it clear that Limosa has our complete confidence, something Amacita never had - she assumed power, she was not granted it. Make our upcoming goals clear. Communicate the reasons for the Golgotha campaign with a high degree of honesty - make it clear the Throne itself is at stake. Be open. Allow questions. We need to get a hold of this now, before mutiny starts to look attractive to anyone we need.

??? She died due to a xeno conspiracy. Who do you believe, us, or your lying eyes?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

VanSandman posted:

THIS, long overdue should of been before the funeral

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

VanSandman posted:

Yay good post +1 agreedo.

e: let them know that Titan was 7 subjective years of the most grueling anti-Chaos training the Inquisition can muster. "Your boss is just a little on edge hahahahahahahahaha" probably isn't the most reassuring thing, but it's better than literally having no understanding. And we can try to signal that we're trying something different.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 8, 2015

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot

VanSandman posted:

Agreed.

The guilt is strong in this thread.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

VanSandman posted:

Agreed

All things considered "civilization will end in 500 years or so unless we get our act together" is a pretty good fire to put under people's asses.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

VanSandman posted:

+1

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Like, transitioning from the small council perception that we're a Rogue Trader vessel with a death cult to "we are the last, greatest hope of Mankind... with a death cult."

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
THE DEVICE

Theta-411, tech-priest of Mars AND THE GLORIOUS WILL OF THE OMNISSIAH, was quietly furious. Someone at his new assignment was sabotaging him! Some uppity local afraid of a Mars trained tech-priest outshining them no doubt! It was childish really, corrupting his reports to Magos 01, but what really bothered him was the how. He could find no trace of intrusion, no clue to the exploits or tools used, any new encryption he added was seemingly ignored. One moment the files were fine, the next they were electronic garbage. And even that didn't make sense! There was no effort to hide the sabotage at all! So he had a hacker of Magos level skill going to great effort to, what, waste a few minutes of his day? It just. didn't. make. sense.

It was while drinking at Sarge's that the idea came to him, like a bolt out of the blue. One of the regulars was complaining to the little Sire, who nodded along. The Little-Sire made some pithy response about puzzles and big pictures and then tried to sell the regular a really expensive cocktail that Theta-411's sensors told him was just ethanol mixed with anti-freeze. Anyway, he got the idea to put up a visual display of one his reports displayed in basic binary form. Aha! The ones and zeros had been moved around, to form an image. It wasn't complete though. He pulled up all of his other corrupted reports, moved them around like an absurd jigsaw puzzle. What he put together took his breath away.

It was a set of plans for a device, of about his volume and mass, but incredibly complex. He wasn't sure how it would do it exactly, but the notes claim that they would reach down to the very sub-atomic level of any set device, infrastructure, even a ship, and optimize it. Invisible stress fractures would be removed, electrons in magnets would be aligned perfectly, warp taint would be folded up and discharged into space. This revelation would have been cause for astonishment, but it was the name of the author that would make him faint.

quote:

Some flaws are too small to be seen, too deep to be fixed, too omnipresent to separate from the work itself without total destruction. But my Father, in his wisdom and might, demands better. So I will provide it. This device, when constructed, will bring the perfection and discipline that is my dream and birthright. I will use it on Forgebreaker first, Fulgrim should be impressed.

The Emperor's will shall be done.

-Ferrus Manus

He immediately collected his findings and sought out the Magos.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

And here we go :allears:

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

LowellDND posted:

I wrote her as the only legitimately good character in the whole galaxy :v: But I also strongly encourage death of the author interpretations, and intentionally left quite a bit of stuff in her background to justify those other interpretations =^_^=

Hah, I knew it! It was just too good of a premise for you to be actually planning the super-conspiracy route.

LowellDND posted:

edit: This is the first big time I can remember the thread wants me to run Ohone in an actually schizophrenic way - randomly killing important NPCs, than feeling immense regrets over it. It will produce some bizarre behavior which I think would deviate from the slow character development we've been doing.

Right now I think Im going to keep a certain level of paranoia, framed within missing Fabian and trying to be guided by his actions. She doesn't really feel guilt, but she does want Fabian to be her prosthetic conscience. So I'm going to play with that a bit. So: currently literally Stalin, but trying to get better. She recognizes she sometimes goes overboard. Whether Amanita was one of those times Ill leave in the hands of 'death of the author' ;)

That said, everyone around her is going to take a step up in terror, which may have some repercussions later. I know we're doing the full honors funeral, but she still is ... developing a reputation.

I think that this is entirely appropriate. The last two arcs were (to borrow some terminology from Robin Laws Dramasystem) mostly procedural. Obstacles were presented and overcome, dragons literally slain, etc. We're due for a dramatic arc, and I'm entirely happy with it centering on the question of just what sort of person Ohone has become.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Thread Challenge: Write up a biography of Ohone that portrays her as sympathetically as Amacita's Death Post did for her.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Thread Challenge: Write up a biography of Ohone that portrays her as sympathetically as Amacita's Death Post did for her.

Im not a miracle worker :v:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Here lies Ohone,
She Tried.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Here lies Ohone,
She Tried.

^

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

paragon1 posted:

I'll take this up if we actually get our hands on an STC

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

THE DEVICE

For those who don't know the lore, Ferrus Manus was the Primarch of the Iron Hands, who happen to have a squad on our ship :3:

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012

VanSandman posted:

Lay it out to our cousin at least. Basically, these were my thoughts, I need you to keep me in the loop or you will die.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

paragon1 posted:

THE DEVICE

Good, good!!!!!

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

LowellDND posted:

I'm afraid to say, because whoever is suggested is probably going to get mentioned more, and as we've seen coming to Ohone's attention is a death sentence.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tomn posted:

I'm afraid to say, because whoever is suggested is probably going to get mentioned more, and as we've seen coming to Ohone's attention is a death sentence.

You're a prayin' for purgin' there bucko.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

paragon1 posted:

You're a prayin' for purgin' there bucko.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXQR-cPXlmY