Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Arkanomen posted:

Question, why do we want the throne to linger?

That is probably the most :unsmigghh: post in this entire thread. We have a chance to fix the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Also our name would go down in Legends. Oh sure plenty of important people know who we are, but imagine that ten thousand years from now stories of Magos Ohone, She Who Fixed The Throne, are still being told by preachers around the galaxy.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Okay, but we let it fail and then install Fabs as the Emps reincarnation.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Arkanomen posted:

He's good, but he's not THAT good.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Arkanomen posted:

Aren't we though, Space Joseph Ohone?

We are literally holding the device that fixes things. Kick off ol'corpsey and point that thing into the warp. Problem solved.
Athena called it a novelty. It isn't that powerful, and likely only optimizes machines. That possibly includes biological machines like muscles or joints.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

JT Jag posted:

Athena called it a novelty. It isn't that powerful, and likely only optimizes machines. That possibly includes biological machines like muscles or joints.

The warp is the reflection/shadow of living souls. Something ganked up the immaterium hard but it's still a living thing. It should work, or atleast Athena's supersize version of it, no?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

The warp is the reflection/shadow of living souls. Something ganked up the immaterium hard but it's still a living thing. It should work, or atleast Athena's supersize version of it, no?
Can you use a wrench to fix a programming error?

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

Couple mid size projects - a few hundred people like your Tech Priests or Domine. Sure.

Optimize Adelaide

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

JT Jag posted:

Can you use a wrench to fix a programming error?

If a connection is giving you an intermittent signal then yes. Also you can force a reset if you hit it hard enough.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

If a connection is giving you an intermittent signal then yes. Also you can force a reset if you hit it hard enough.
You know what? Next time we're traveling through the Warp, feel free to have someone point this at it.

It won't do anything though

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
As far as we can tell, the device only makes things objectively better, not subjectively. Used on ourselves, our implants functioned better, but they didn't change their function, nor did Ohone suddenly become a saint.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone feel like seeing what an optimized Tzeentch looks like?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

JT Jag posted:

You know what? Next time we're traveling through the Warp, feel free to have someone point this at it.

It won't do anything though

With our luck, it'll be corrupted by the warp and start mutating anything it interacts with instead.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Tomn posted:

As far as we can tell, the device only makes things objectively better, not subjectively. Used on ourselves, our implants functioned better, but they didn't change their function, nor did Ohone suddenly become a saint.

Basically what I'm saying is, anyone feel like seeing what an optimized Tzeentch looks like?

Like the OP.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arkanomen posted:

Like the OP.

Awww :3:

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
use the device on the emperor/throne and our ship.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
I wonder what happens when you optimize a stellar mass/large nuclear reaction?

Point it at the sun.

Oh, and a tyranid when we get the chance.

Don't do this. Do this

Outrail fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 12, 2015

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

HiHo ChiRho posted:

Optimize Adelaide

Ol' Bricellus would be up for it too, "optimise me that I might better smite thy foemen!"

also pray for me, November tornado time

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Arkanomen posted:

I'd rather not find out what happens to people possessed by the Emperor when the Emperor dies, thank you very much.

Using this on the throne has the potential to stave off problems like our beacon in the Warp flickering until we can come up with a more permanent solution.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Seriously though Whatever else we do, use it on the ship.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Going on a veteran's day food looting spree, Ill post after :v: I have my phone and will check the thread from time to time.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

LowellDND posted:

Going on a veteran's day food looting spree, Ill post after :v: I have my phone and will check the thread from time to time.

I wanted to do that today but Im stuck at work.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 11
Current: 16,750
Total Goal: 18,333

Todays music: Maid of Orleans by Dark Moor

Maiden Mother Crone

<Well. We’ve tested on tech-priests. Let’s expand the margin. Organic form (animal), organic form (human), and mechanical device. If things look good there, we’ll use it on the ship.>
<So quick, Magos?> The tone wasn’t fear, but excitement.
<Sure> Your tone was brisk. <Have to get ready for the war and all>
<Very good. I’ve ordered the servitors to collect up one of the fluorocats, and I’m going through the files. Some of the Domine have volunteered for special programs, once they became available.>
A thought of your first cat flickered through your mind, and you shook it off. This test would go better, you were sure.

Although the symmetry of it bothered you on a certain level. Magos and apprentice, and the dull hum of the labs. This time would go better.

The cat the servitors reminded you of Flours II in a lot of ways. Half covered in the fungal patches that the Tribes used for healing (and that you now knew were orkoid spores). There was a certain atavatistic horror to it, these half human things with augmented eyes and removed voices, holding an angry cat out to you. The past was bothering you more than it usually did, today. Your first servitors, crafted of your enemies, dead at the hand of Abraxus. History didn’t repeat, but it did seem to rhyme.

You shook your head again to clear it. Everything was fine. You were at your peak, in control. This was just memories, coming back to haunt you. You glanced at Theta-411. <Proceed. I will observe.>
If only to conceal the slight tremor in your muscles. Everything was running 100% or more, it was all in your head. Still. Running through the ship defenses did little to calm you. The metal rail you were standing behind twisted and bent under your grip.

The device was applied, and held to the cat for several minutes. Even in that time, changes were noticeable. Old scars fading, the orkoid tissue forming more naturally. The cat was … more cat. If that made any sense. It also held the aspects of some sort of lizard, lanky and full of stillness and sudden moves.

You wondered if it was warm or cold-blooded. You wondered what a DNA test might reveal.

Regardless, the test seemed to have worked on an organic creature. More along the lines of … moderate healing, or perhaps a rejuv treatment. That might be worth following up on, rejuv was usually ludicriously expensive. You would have to filter for pure humanity, though. Rather awkward if someone showed enough of a change that they rated as abhuman suddenly.

The idea of Eldar somewhere deep in your background was a thought you carefully avoided.

<Worth human testing, I think. Tag the cat in case we need it later, but otherwise let it go. Who were our volunteers?>
<I wanted to test on one of the Tribunes, Magos. She has a history of weird and unexpected successes, clawed her way up to the Domine ranks, and is a very functional very sociopath.>
<Just the kind of person we need to upgrade.> Your tone was not sarcastic. <Send her in.>
<Yes Magos.>

The individual was … small. About the height of one of the voidborn, although you recognized her as a planet-dweller. A child of some sort, not that that meant anything these days. If it ever had. To quote some warlord of the distant past, ‘Children can pull a trigger just as well as an adult. Better, in some cases.’

“Your name?”
“Adelaide, Lord-Sire.”
“Are you aware of what this program entails?”
“No.”
“It’s experimental. It’s shown improvement in four out of four cases. It has every possibility of killing or mutating you.”
“If it doesn’t?”
“Then you will be improved. In some way.”
“I understand. Go ahead.”
You raised your eyebrows at her. “Are you sure?”
She shrugged. “We all die sometime, Lord-Sire. All that matters is that it helps the Imperium.”
“Well said. Please stand still.”

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Please rez Travis with the magic wellness stick

Gotta try it on a psyker, at least.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 11
Current: 17,432
Total Goal: 18,333

Doom over dead man, by Amon Amarth

That’s what little girls are made of

The humming continued for nearly an hour, and didn’t appear to result in any pain. Or, the young Abrogate had become utterly indifferent to it. Both were possible, and neither would surprise you. Theta-411 kept an eye on her vitals, which had slowed in interesting ways. Slower breathing, slower heartbeat. Would it eventually kill her?

None of you would stop the experiment, of course. The wheels of the Imperium are greased with blood, and all that. In this case, though… she seemed to have lucked out. Sample five out of five, success. The humming faded away, and she looked much the same. A quick scan of her vitals suggested expanded improvement in heart and lungs, endurance, vitality, things of that nature. And some minor potential problems from malnutrition looked like they were being addressed.

As Athena would put it, ‘neat.’

It hadn’t made her superhuman or a Space Marine, from what you could tell, but it did seem to have put her at the far edge of the bell curve for ‘very healthy human.’ Might be worth using on the Abrogates if you could find a way to mass produce it, their mentality of stoic suffering built up a lot of damage on their systems. And while their heightened resistance to pain was nice, the increased medical complications cut down on the army strength a fair bit.

“Well, Adelaide, you seem to have come across a full health inspection worthy of any Hive Spire. Congratulations.”
“Thank you, Lord-Sire. If I may ask?”
“Go ahead.”
“One of my men, Travis Wrent, suffered severe damage recently. Could we test it on him as well?>
You glanced at Theta-411, who shrugged. <More test subjects couldn’t hurt.>
<And a few hours won’t matter.> “Sure, we’ll have the servitors bring him in.”

She had been understating the damage, if anything. He was a few vital systems plugged into a row of machines. He looked like he had jumped on a grenade, and then done it again just to see if it did the same thing. Theta paused uncertainly. <I can’t even find a torso to put the device on.>
<Eh, just put it somewhere in the middle there. Biggest pile of blobby bits. This might even impact the machines too, which would be nice.>
<Yes, Magos.>

Afterwards, you couldn’t even say which had been more fascinating to watch. The slow stitching of flesh and muscle, turning a pile of meat into a recognizable form, or the steady improvements of the machines. They were slowly shifting into something you could easily see treating Family on the Alpha Deck, as opposed to the leftovers used for one somewhat-favored Abrogate. He probably wouldn’t even be functional for another day at least, but you were tempted to just leave him there while he recovered.

Until the flayed form reached out for you, somehow, against all reason, conscious. You nearly blasted him right then, but your metalline mind identified the horrible hissing as words.
“Lord-Sire! Lord-Sire…”
“Relax, relax! We’re fixing you right now.”
“Lord-Sire. Cultists, aboard the ship. In the Heart…”

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
"Yeah, well, what else is new?"

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

So I guess the options are

A. Investigate yourself and the people here
B. Send a company of GreyCloaks
C. EEVERRERYONNNNEEEE
D. Don't send anyone, he's half dead and you have science to do.
E. Something Else

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
A Let's go talk to the cultists iron hands necrons nice mans.

e: okay changing vote to B because I just wanna see things happen!!

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 12, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Well, someone scout it out and confirm, and have others on standby nearby.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
"Cultists of what kind? Tell me in detail what you saw."

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

LowellDND posted:

So I guess the options are

A. Investigate yourself and the people here
B. Send a company of GreyCloaks
C. EEVERRERYONNNNEEEE
D. Don't send anyone, he's half dead and you have science to do.
E. Something Else

B + Minions.

This seems like a perfect task to use to test some of our second-tier assistants. Pick 2 or 3 of them at random. Give each a group of Grey Cloaks, and have them do the initial investigation.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
If we've learnt anything it's DON'T GO 'INVESTIGATE' THINGS OURSELVES. Send some servitors and a whole container load worth of skulls. The remote controlled ones with bombs on them. Five at a time. Wave after wave recording and transmitting everything.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Waci posted:

"Cultists of what kind? Tell me in detail what you saw."

quote:

Travis Log *cough* Last one
I think this may be it for story time little Adelaide. I appear to have maneuvered myself into a corner. Both physically and more general. I'm hiding this log like I did all the others. Not sure if you're getting them but someone will find them. Hopefully not the warp-damned Explorators and their puppet Amacita. No more time for paranoia. I have to exit the stage. You'll most likely feel the site before you reach it. That's good, getting closer will get you killed. Now listen, hear that noise. The sound of razors against sheet metal mixed with the wailing of forsaken children. That's going to kill me, but not before I get it first. My own terms. Not from Amacita's agents, not from the Abrogrates, not even that damned black ship, my own. I trapped it in some thick cabling but that won't hold for long.

Down here, way down, I think the core of the ship lies. Not the true center, everyone's visited that, but rather the hidden center of power. The cube and the chanting. All a show you see. Proper ways of doing things and all that garbage. I found it. A chamber, walled with polished Ceramite with seams so flawless it appears as if the room was cast from a single mold. There in the center of this blasphemous place there hung a cube of dark starlight. Hooded figures stood around the titanic object, chanting and whispering to slowly revolving monstrosity. The congealed mass radiated raw warp energy, seething from its surface and folding back into itself. Invisible to the sight of normals but I could see what it truly was. The darkness and the rumbling below, all from this terrible shape. Twisting the threads of reality to it's whims, sending ripples cascading through time and probability. Weaving through the congregation, throughout the bulkheads of the ship, up into the alpha decks through the hearts of those who's will moves mountains and through the smallest unborn abrograte floating in his cloning vat. Threads that twisted and fought and bit each other, knotting around souls and tying them to other souls across time and space. Up further still, beyond space and into the void between where chaos dwells. The threads converging onto a single point, writhing and horrible. I felt it look down upon me and upon the thread running through my heart. I felt a pang of dread, a feeling of knowing, and also a heavy hand upon my shoulder.

I turned to see one of the senior lieutenants of the Explorator's guild. The man smiled fiercely under his hood, jagged teeth slicing behind black gums with eyes that winked the wrong way. "Brother Travis, you are here as HE willed. Your struggle against fate has been noticed and you are offered a place at the Architect's side. Come, assume the place among the people you have always had and take up the chant. Look, he bestows his blessings upon you, you are healed. " I felt a terrible heat as warp fire bathed my broken arm. The flesh bubbled and mutated into a horrific talon, creeping up my arm. The pulsating flesh writhed with eyes and fingers as it grew like a cancer. I could hear the voice singing in my head, growing louder as the flesh traveled up my arm. I shoved the cultist aside, took my laspistol and fired it point blank at the elbow. The force knocked me over and sent the mutated limb across the room. I was grateful to the guns machine spirit for searing my pure flesh closed. The severed limb was picked up by several cultists who were quickly absorbed by the limb. I took a moment to breathe. The cultists started screaming foul blasphemies at me. I was already firing my las pistol and tossing det-packs into the crowd.

The cultists fell, taking nine or more in the first wave. Only thirty or so more to go. Then things went west of pink smelling like Thursday before green lessons. Warp fuckery. The cultist began to chant over the corpses and bathed them in witch-fire. From the gore and the cancer that was once my arm, a terrible creature arose. Blue and fish like. The beast was almost ten feet long and bore large spikes and great curved tusks ringing a gnashing, circular mouth. What it lacked in limbs it made up for in a thrashing tail. So many spikes. What is with Chaos and spikes. It seemed to sniff the air before locking onto me. It began to scream, making that wonderful noise you're hearing now. It thrashed its way up the side of the spinning cube and launched into the air amid a shower of iridescent sparks, swooping down upon me. I tossed the last of my free packs at the congregation and the monster before performing a strategic retreat into a demolished hallway.

The narrow hallway slowed its progress, forcing it to slide along the floor. The loss of my arm began to weigh on my awareness, must have ripped a hole in the wound. I found an access panel, forgive me mechanicus, pulled a whole mess of conduits loose from the walls and made a decent net trap. I only glanced back for a moment to see it get caught and melt through some high-power cables. It screamed as the cables sparked and I made my way here. When you find this recording you will likely find what's left of me down the hall. Can't miss the smoking crater. There is a plasma reservoir about four-hundred feet past this auxiliary locker. Adelaide, if you would be so kind as to transport what is left of me back to the alpha deck. I assume the Black Priest will want to debrief me using whatever warp power he has been granted by the False Lordsire. What did they promise you Adelaide? Its all lies. There is only one truth, save yourself. Deliver my message and hide until she returns. For now, I will show what I learned from that black cube. The answer to that damned question. Come with me skull...What makes a man..It's spite."

*The Sounds of someone cursing , rigging something heavy against metal and the screaming of the creature. There is sudden sound of snapping cables and loud scuttling. There is an alien scream and a laugh.*

In the name of the Iron Maiden and the Blessed Saint Fabi....

****Recording ends:: Cause: High energy plasma discharge following the detonation spectra of a class-II Melta-type Charge*****

I want to emphasize that is an audio log of a person who may be an unreliable narrator, and he's currently recovering from being gibbed.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B Have a contingent of our Super-Abrogates on standby.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh, quick question Paragon. The Tech-Priest you had intro the device was named Theta-411. Same Theta as I used way way back with Commissar Kaydae, or different one?

(I'm fine either way, just updating notes)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

falcon2424 posted:

B + Minions.

This seems like a perfect task to use to test some of our second-tier assistants. Pick 2 or 3 of them at random. Give each a group of Grey Cloaks, and have them do the initial investigation.

Yeah actually i'm gonna throw my support behind this.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

falcon2424 posted:

B + Minions.

Off the cuff, Im thinking Ripley, Raul, and Lux.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Speaking of Space Dad pt 5

“It’s so...empty” Salmari whispers, eyeing the featureless grey hallway. It was the furthest into the ship that they’ve been in years. Apart from the tidiness, the dark halls of the Beast were almost indistinguishable from the Between. “Where is everyone? There should be peo--” Chianti hushes her, listening intently.

“Be quiet, I think I hear...Patrol! Hide, quick!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KIKrSG-Xzc

DiMuzio watches the two mutants attempt to hide themselves, rather unsuccessfully, in the hallway. He was much too old for these shenanigans. He is a Lord Sire, the Butcher, and he was not going to cower like children less than half his age. He simply turns to face the incoming patrol. If it came down to a fight, well. An old man has his tricks.

“What are you doing!” hisses Chianti, moments before the patrol turns the corner.

The two women freeze, eyes wide as they stare at the masked patrol. Frederick clears his throat, speaking calmly. “We are lost civilians, would you mind showing us the way back?” The abrogates are silent.

Then

Showing no outward surprise, DiMuzio simply says “Well. I suppose we’re auxiliary.”

They were swiftly whisked away. They passed countless encampments, fortifications, and security checkpoints. After each one Chianti and Salmari breathed a sigh of relief, and the genetic scanners stayed silent. Before they even knew it, the group was deposited at an abrogate barracks, somewhere where the Shallows used to be.

“You have to admit, they’re very efficient.” DiMuzio grins, picking up a gasmask that the abrogates helpfully provided. “Now let’s go find us a ship.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The batgirl arc is making me smile, Ill admit. Im running an IMPENDING DOOM story, and the catgirls are kidnapping an old man :v:

It's like alternating between 'Mars the Bringer of War' and 'Yakety Sax' :D

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

They aren't bats, they're cats! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Xun posted: