Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Lowell, if I may? The entirety of the Imperium is moving towards Golgotha. Well, that's almost true - the entirety of the Imperium commanded by the Lords of Terra is moving towards Golgotha. Some of it isn't. Some of it has commands far older from an authority far higher than that. When the Red Corsairs arrive, they will find there those that have always been there. Those that will always guard the Emperor's Holiest of Holies. Those that will always man the walls of the Imperial Palace.

They will find the Imperial Fists, and they will not find them wanting for courage and strategy in their defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

VanSandman posted:

Lowell, if I may? The entirety of the Imperium is moving towards Golgotha. Well, that's almost true - the entirety of the Imperium commanded by the Lords of Terra is moving towards Golgotha. Some of it isn't. Some of it has commands far older from an authority far higher than that. When the Red Corsairs arrive, they will find there those that have always been there. Those that will always guard the Emperor's Holiest of Holies. Those that will always man the walls of the Imperial Palace.

They will find the Imperial Fists, and they will not find them wanting for courage and strategy in their defense.

You are quite correct! :D

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

Off the cuff, Im thinking Ripley, Raul, and Lux.

This.

LowellDND posted:

You are quite correct! :D

Don't you dare forget the custodes!

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

heretic-smiting would be a sensible use of the Excoriators 2nd company, it's part of what they were built for. feel free to let Bricellus or some subordinate black priests help too. phoneposting sans irc else I'd confer and write something too :(

wish I could find a decent irc client for ios

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Nov 12, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current: 17,961
Total Goal: 20,000

Send the scouts first

“Because of course they are. Why haven’t I gotten word of them prior to this?”
The respirators helped push his voice. “They hide with cunning devices. They warp local space.”
“Uh huh. I’m guessing Amacita was somehow involved with them.”
“They served..” Another breath. “Her foremost.”
You laughed. “Hah. I was right.” No one in the room said anything, so you shrugged and pushed on.

“So, Amacita’s cultists, using warp devices to hide and deceive. Let’s see what we can do.” You switched to your comms, and the response was instantaneous.
“Colonel Astri.”
“Yes, Lord-Sire.”
“Travis here says he’s found a cultist nest. Why haven’t you told me?”
Her voice was strained. “Lord-Sire, we’ve heard no reports, no evidence, no sightings…”
“Well, you can fix it now. Travis, where are they exactly?”
He strained, mentioned some deck levels.
“Right, they are there. Send three companies of Grey Cloaks, lead by a Tribune each.”
“Yes Ma’am. The queue has us listing Ripley, Raul, and Lux. Does that fit your needs?”
“Hah, Raul? Yes, have him in the first wave. Time to test his loyalties a bit.”
“Yes Ma’am. Anything else?”
“Put the Abrogates on alert, with, mm, the 2nd Company on standby. If the first wave dies, I want the Abrogates ready.”
“Yes Ma’am.” The fact that you were sending three companies of her friends, family, and staff as a suicide wave went unsaid.
“That’s right. Keep me updated.”

<Athena.>
<Yes Magos.>
<... What?>
Her voice was amused. <Everyone else was jumping to obey you, I thought I should too.>
<You get weirder every day.>
<I blame you entirely. So, what did you need?>
<This ‘Heart’ of the ship. What’s there?>
<Couldn’t say. As far as I can tell, it’s all smooth there.>
<Can’t see any warps in space time or hyperspace or whatever?>
<Sorry. If something is there, they made a hole and pulled it over them.>
<Don’t worry about it. I guess, just keep an eye on things.>
<I always do.>

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:allears: I love the "chemistry" with Ohone's interactions with Athena

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current: 18,298

Raul

Once more into the breach dear friends.

Raul was a lot of things, but no one ever said he was bad at his job. Reckless, even suicidally so. Ambitious. A dangerous combination of brave and possibly stupid. All of those things, sure. But all of those traits would mean as much as a feral grox without the skill to back it up, and Raul was, actually, one of the best.

He took his company of troops and lead them from the front, coordinating with the easy of long practice, constant shouts and orders passing through vox beads and down the corridors. The assigned area had an unusual amount of growth, clutter that most would have thought cleaned out by now. Strange plants that seemed to move just a bit too much, animals that seemed to be not all there.

The Greycloaks, let it be said, were not cowards. Equipped with the best the Family could offer, power swords and flamethrowers, they cut a swath through the encroaching forest with verve and enthusiasm. Raul was a natural leader, and they responded to it, committing to some of the finest actions they had done in a generation. Something that wasn’t slaughtering civilians, punishing the gangs, or participating in purges. Something that mattered.

It was hard to say where it started to go wrong. Perhaps it could be said that it went too right. The company was pushing forward like the well-oiled machine they were, igniting all they came across, and when the plants tried to wrap around the column, they were immolated as well. Harder to notice, perhaps, was how the corridors themselves wrapped around the column, bending ever so slightly, until they were all folded in on themselves.

And swallowed them up.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

:gonk: the angles are wrong!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
non-euclidean posting

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh well God-Emperor drat it all.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current: 18,592

Ripley

Ripley was not one of the best. She was lucky, and stubborn, and mean.

She had listened to the comms of the first company, and how they had reported endless victories. Until they stopped reporting anything at all. No change in tone, no change in expectation. Total success, and then gone. As such, she would take the opposite approach. Slow, steady, possibly sneaky.

Every corridor was checked with the ship-sensors and the unlimited number of servo-skulls the Magos had lent to the effort. And then they were ignored, with meltas used to create new corridors, new short cuts. Whatever was here anticipated the previous wave, made plans for it. Ripley intended to do the whole thing sideways, turn any such plans on their head.

Such caution paid off, certainly. She didn’t take any losses, and remained in communication with the rest of the Ship. But around the third time her squads started to open corridors that had already been melted from another approach, she had to stop and call in for suggestions. Whatever was here, she wasn’t being granted access.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Plug the fix it device into the ship close to where the phenomenon is happening. Maybe it can force the ship to obey euclidean geometry again.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 18,775

Lux

As a rule, Sollex Priests weren’t subtle. They specialized more in … direct thinking. Applied energy to problems.

Big frickin laser beams.

So, one would not think that Lux, of the third wave, would have much luck in whatever Warp-trickery was occurring here. ‘Shoot lasers at it’ was made a bit more tricky when ‘it’ was sideways to whatever reality this one was. Of course, Lux had spent a lot of time thinking about such things, perhaps due to having spent too much time in the company of Tibus, Tech-Priest.

Tibus was rather good at thinking about such things.

So, applied energy, sideways reality…. big frickin laser beams. All problems end at the same solution, when you know how.

<Lux> The voice of the Omnissiah, or nearest equivalent.
<Yes Magos.>
<What are you doing?>
Technical specifications sent across the binary waves, modified, updated.
<I’m sending down an augment. Apply it to your machine as you see fit.>
<Yes Magos.>

The strange little device, come by indirect manner from the mind and hands of a Primarch, slotted into the energy beam weapon easily. It would be too much to suggest that it’s shape had changed ever so slightly, that the cannon had somehow been built in such a way for that exact thing.

As if it had been waiting for it?

The gun fired. Reality bent, twisted.

A simple door stood where none had before. One with a passcode.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

RandomPauI posted:

Plug the fix it device into the ship close to where the phenomenon is happening. Maybe it can force the ship to obey euclidean geometry again.

I like this idea, hopefully it doesn't apply the principle of perfection to it and result in full-on Tzeentchian incursion. remember folks, just in case, the codeword is Omega

edit: ^^^^ reality gun! yeah baby

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Nov 12, 2015

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

RandomPauI posted:

Sounds good to me.

In a similar vein have some abrogates march near the boundaries of the phenomenon.

If it's a tech-based phenomenon, your approach should quiet it. If it's warp-based, the abrogates might smooth things out.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

The password is

*points 2 dilz*

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The password is blow up the door!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
My guess is the password is 01 or the 20 minute code to the ship's warrant.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If those don't work we should try plan boom boom.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 19,018

The key, the door

<Athena, what do you think? Brute force it?>
<I can’t even see it>
<It’s a keypad, on a door that was hiding in the Warp>
<Are there normally doors in the Warp?>
<How should I know?>
<Well, you did spend a few years there….>
<I didn’t see any doors.>
<Ah. So, what do you think?>
<Trap>
<You think everything is a trap>
<And that’s why I’m still alive.>
<Are not. I had to bring you back twice.>
<The God-Emperor did that and you know it.>
<And you view me as his incarnation of the Omnissiah>
<I’m still not giving you credit.>
<Pfah. Fine. Assuming it’s not some chaos trickery, or a gimmick, or whatever…>
<Big assumption…>
She ignored you. <Then it’s the core of the ship. Your man said it was the ‘Heart’. So try the code for that.>
<Mm. And if it’s an attempt to just steal that key?>
<We can change it on your Warrant.>
<And if it’s another bomb, just for me?>
<I’ll bring you back>
<I can never tell if you are joking anymore>
She didn’t reply. You shrugged.

You walked past the companies of readied troops, Abrogates, Greycloaks. People sworn to you, and less than people. Many, most of them watched you with unhidden worship. You ignored them, as was your right, but you felt the presence of their eyes nonetheless.

You entered the key of your Family, on a gate that was the Heart of your ship.

The Door opened.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I know its rude to go in guns blazing but we should seriously consider going in guns blazing.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

Oh, quick question Paragon. The Tech-Priest you had intro the device was named Theta-411. Same Theta as I used way way back with Commissar Kaydae, or different one?

(I'm fine either way, just updating notes)

I had him being someone that signed on when we visited Mars. So he's been on the ship for like a month or something. :v: He can be whoever you need him to be, really. Also please answer your pms. :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

I had him being someone that signed on when we visited Mars. So he's been on the ship for like a month or something. :v: He can be whoever you need him to be, really. Also please answer your pms. :v:

This next bit is pretty significant, so let's see how it will affect things :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Slice of Life Terra Gaiden
Only a very few places on Terra had any sort of view of space. Monstrous storms wracked the sky, long filled with the pollution of millennia of industry. The Walls of the Imperial Palace, above the highest mountain range on the holy planet, were one such place. To be permitted guard duty there was the aspiration of any faithful servant of the Imperial Fists. Brother Gereon was indeed faithful. He watched the sky as, one by one, the light of ships left orbit. For the first time in thousands of years, most of the lights above Terra at night were stars.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I dig it

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
We go in with guns READY to 420 blaze it, important distinction.

The hole was made for me!! Drrr drrr drrr

We are unlocking The Heart of the Ship man let's show it some respect. Don't shoot first. If we die Athena'll bring us back anyway. :)

e:

[00:50] <plc> but what if we shoot the beast in the heart? :(
[00:51] <RandomPauI> We plug in the magic machine, inject it with adrenalyn, and hope things work out the way they did in pulp fiction
[00:52] <plc> GO GO GO
[00:52] <plc> LOCK 'N' LOAD

changing vote to going in hot A dead man told us there were cultists, after all. :v:

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 12, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 19,270

Take me on to the other side

Well, you weren’t one to turn down an invitation.

The door was blank, implacable. But you had the feeling of openness... that it was inviting you forward. A half dozen servo-skulls filed obediently through - you could sense they were still active, but they weren’t transmitting anything. Perhaps the other side was a void, like the deepest of space? Or, perhaps, something was blocking transmissions.

Athena had said there was nothing there…

You unhitched a few grenades, activated them, let them loose. All types. Frag, wire, krak, psyker. Best to have a sound landing. Count to five, three, four, five, and Go. You strode forward with the confidence of the millennia that was your dynasty. As you entered the gate, you had a brief thought. What would have Ching Shih thought of this?

Even before your sensors had adapted to the new terrain, your hurricane bolters already cleaving everything before you. The vast thunder of their anger was comforting to you, a pleasing note in this new place. And as your sensors relayed the new information, you spooled them down.

You were … in a cavern. Or, a series of great cliffs, buffeted by the wind. Around and below you, dozens, hundreds of dead Explorer Guild members, torn to pieces by bolter fire. Mixed among them, dressed in the Grey Cloaks that were your regalia, hundreds of dead and broken figures. Their faces were aged, ancient. Mummified by the dry and biting wind.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Seems, uh, safe. And good. Let's keep exploring. Are we sensing spooky chaos things or anything? Or still "nothing."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Scavenge anything useful, rations, ammo etc. Look for any notes/ reports and then scan the area. Use our Psyocculum.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 19,523

Digging through the wreckage

You flicked your psyocculum on, attempting to get information. Winced.

It wasn’t picking up any Warp signatures, no psykers or daemons, but the entire world was wrapped and folded in on itself, like silk gauze. It gave everything a violet tint, constantly moving, swirling, reforming, gaining depth and mass, drifting apart again. You turned it off before you got a headache. That would do little to help you.

Cautiously, you advanced on the path along the cliffs. Occasionally, bits of rubble would be pushed aside, fall endlessly downwards. Out of sight and hearing. You had searched through the bodies you could, but they lacked anything useful - their ammo wouldn’t fit your weapons, and their swords or flamethrowers were children’s toys to your grip.

In the distance, at the edge of what you could see, other cliffs rose out of the mist. You weren’t sure how deep the intervening valley was, or if it had a bottom at all. On the other cliffs, solitary figures in Centurion power armor walked. Some of them stopped to wave at each other, and some of them waved back. You did your best to ignore them.

As the cliffs widened into something you might actually lead a column over, you found a broken pillar settled in the dust. It had unpleasant curves that you remembered well - a Pillar of Suln, most recently in the position of one traitor Amacita. A small note of paper was underneath in, flapping idly in the wind.

Carefully, you picked it up.

quote:

Lord-Sire Ohone, or who may find this message. This is the last remarks of Commissar-Captain Raul Oxenforth. We entered this place in the third year of the reign of Lord-Sire and Magos Ohone, of the Beast of Traal. It’s unclear how long we’ve been here - we have not felt hunger or thirst, or the need to sleep, but we are aging. Many of my men have died of old age already, and I expect to follow soon. scribbled notes, crossed out, indecipherable

We could not find a way out.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Uh... we still have a way out of here, right?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Well, we walked into the trap. Again. At least this time, it wasn't because we ignored obvious signs.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
We're still in the ship, right?

So, uh, dig?

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Do we recognize the centurion armor? Let's go say hi to them!

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Let's try to communicate with them, use binary handsigns if nothing else works.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Get out while you can, send out servitors to explore instead

Numeron
Mar 23, 2012

A whole new world in
the palm of my hand.
:10bux: the centurions are other versions of us, because of the folds in space.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Go further. Since time is slower here, this will be our personal time chamber

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Nyaa posted:

Go further. Since time is slower here, this will be our personal time chamber

Why the hell would we need one of these?

Have Athena try and pinpoint the distance between her and us to figure out where in the universe we might be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Lowell do any of the Centurion figures appear to be engaging in mechadendrite puppetry?