Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

TheParadigm posted:

Through lowell's slice of life, know that the Emperor Himself was able to engage minds on their own battlefield, on their own level, and win as a mere psyker. The fact that's even a thing, and not a fluke drastically shortens the distance between human minds and culture-Minds. It's straight up a gamechanger.

Who said the Emperor of Man IS man? :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

poor life choice posted:

Who said the Emperor of Man IS man? :unsmigghh:
The Emperor, by the very nature of how he was created, is pretty much the anthropomorphic personification of humanity, more so than actually being a human himself.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

JT Jag posted:

The Emperor, by the very nature of how he was created, is pretty much the anthropomorphic personification of humanity, more so than actually being a human himself.

Maybe the legends are wrong?

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

JT Jag posted:

Were you there? Did you see it? Checkmate atheists theists. :smuggo:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

One vote for use the key, one vote for get more info. Anything else?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

He's honestly basically the Chaos God of Humanity and has been since he was put in that throne and started using what psyker power he had left to protect loyal human souls from Chaos.

In the event that he actually died, I think the most likely outcome is that the "basically" in that sentence would be dropped. Though there are a few other possibilities.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
More info please

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

JT Jag posted:

I'd say that's a pretty big hint right there as far as the ai discussion goes.

The Emperor is also the ultimate expression(evolution?) of humanity and he represents the future potential of the race - and in the grand cosmic scale of things - what chaos is fighting to prevent and over who controls the souls.

I think I'd also like to see an alpha-tier psyker replicate the feat, see how a mind like our boss handles one - though they're in high demand, you can start a little lower on the totem pole.

More Info Please

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Nov 12, 2015

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

More info is always a good(?) thing.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Vince McMahon up to them and drop the mic quantum upgrader

so that's +1 info, I guess?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
more info. stay longer and get devries back

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Never agree to anything without reading the fine prints. Demand full disclosure!

Demand to see who is in charge, read everything, agree to nothing yet. Also bill them for the loss of personnel.

For all we know, this is Anna's pocket of power.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 20,582
Total Goal: 20,000

More Info Please

“Lot of those going around lately. What do you mean?”
“Our service to your Dynasty - thousands of years of service. The Primarch told us to wait until one of your bloodline found the key, made it. You are to use it on our Shrine. It is our final task that was given to us, repairing the Heart of the Ship.”
“Why did you wait so long? I mean, if the Primarch had the ability to fix it, why did he make you wait?”
“He did not say, and we obeyed.”
“Okay. So if I do this task, what will you do then?”
“Await further orders.”
“And if I don’t use the key, you will stay obligated to my Family?”
“Yes, until our task is done.” His voice took a strange tone. “We have waited so long.”

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
gently caress it, use the key

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Inform them that we were unaware of this duty, and have sacrificed much to get this far. State that we will fulfill our obligations, but that we consider it a service we are rendering unto them. Imply, though perhaps not outright state, that they will still owe us.

Then use the key.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 12, 2015

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

use key. Awaken The beast and transforms into Mega Titan.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Oh my god do you want to make a space marine cry? Use the key.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
They kept their part of the bargain. Use the key. I'm assuming we checked they're actual Iron Hands instead of warp ghosts, because that's our standard approach to everything by now, surely.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 20,723

Heart

You felt … strange, like the universe was pivoting on this moment. You could feel the weight of ages, countless near-infinite decisions that had been made to get you to this point - this time and this place. An order granted to Space Marines, to hold their post for ten thousand years. A key, hidden in the background noise of a Space Hulk. All for what?

Why had Ferrus wanted them to wait for so long?

Almost unconsciously, you walked closer to the tower, the eyes of the Iron Hands on you. It felt like the entire city was holding its breath, and the shadows and echoes of the other Space Marines seemed to follow you. You stopped short at the end, glanced at them. “I was not informed of this duty, and will still hold you to yours. I do this as a favor alone.”

They seemed to slump where they stood, but did not deny you. Instead, they simply stood, waiting.

You raised the key, the device you had made under the guidelines of a Primarch. Such a tiny thing. And the end of a mission millennia in the making, that had pushed your Dynasty to and fro, without explanation. There was a deeper plan underlying things, some as yet unrevealed pattern to events. It felt like a great leviathan in the ocean, slowly rising.

A second look, a third. The world held its breath.

You activated the device.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
:suspense:

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
JUST AS PLANNED

We're releasing something bad, I know it.

:tinfoil:

NUKE 2.0 And this time Ohone literally loving turned the key to the trigger herself.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Use key. Don't make Spess Mehreen cry.

I had a weird feeling just now about how I really miss just us investigating things and actually having other people around to talk to while doing [random thing]. I would almost be happy with us leaving this pocket like 100 years later and having to essentially start over from the bottom.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I had a weird feeling just now about how I really miss just us investigating things and actually having other people around to talk to while doing [random thing]. I would almost be happy with us leaving this pocket like 100 years later and having to essentially start over from the bottom.
Too bad it's faster here than in the outside, and not the other way around like warp travel (usually) is.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 20,996

Soul

HeRa OnLiNe

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
HA!!!!!!!!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWWe2zYolGM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LowellDND posted:

BeGiN sEaRcH aLgOrIthMs
...OlYmPuS oFfLiNe...
ZeUs OfFlInE
hErA oFfLiNe
ApoLlO oFfLiNe
ArEs OfFlinE
aRtEmIs OfFlInE
hAdEs OfFlInE
hEpHAeStUs OfFlInE
pOseidOn OfFlinE
i Am AlOnE

LowellDND posted:

“Daughter of Mars, Daughter of Hera, know that we have come for you. Things have been set in motion, things long centuries past. We have seen the future - a chasm, an abyss darker than the space between the stars. It is coming. But we have seen you. A small chance, a small path - you walk past it, through it. We have come to grant you great truths, O daughter of Hera.”

LowellDND posted:

Kaydras continued, ignoring your sudden silence. “We are of one mind, you see. We seek the Staff.”
“The Staff?”
Their voice took on a musical tone. “Ta'maral'ailen, the Binding One. She who Binds Fate, She who Twists the Weave. An ancient and powerful relic of our race.”
“How did it come to my Family? Something with that many titles sounds like you’d kept it to yourself.”
Her voice was sad. “A gift, a gift. Ching Shih, the one who saw, the one who forgot. Who was seen, who was forgotten. Who will rise out of the ice, in time.”
Your breath stopped. “Ching Shih is frozen? She’s alive? Is that what you mean?”
“Now is not her time. Now it is yours. You must find the Staff, once again. It is your duty, it is your destiny, bound to your blood down the millennia.”
“Why is it so important?”
“Can you not see, Child of Mars? She Binds the Fate! She Twists the Weave, bringing things as they need to be, not as they are.”
“What does that mean?”
“You will learn, Child of Hera. You will see.”

LowellDND posted:

“Yeah. So the first gods lived on Olympus.”
Your memories flashed back to the Olympus ship that held Athena, and your heart stopped. You kept your face impassive though, even as more questions.
“Was that like a planet, or something else?”
“No idea. So, the gods were creators. They built art and music and beautiful things.”
“Where did they come from?”
“I don’t know. The stories said a metal lake of some kind.”
“Okay. Were you told their names?”
“Sure.” Her voice took on a sing-song tone. “Zeus, Hera, Poseidon, Demeter, Athena, Apollo, Artemis, Ares, Aphrodite, Hephaestus, Hermes and Dionysus.”

poor life choice posted:

LowellDND posted:

While we're scooping around in your brains, any memories or experiences or people you want to take a look back on?
Do NOT revisit a memory that identifies us as "child of Mars, child of [Golden Age AI mentioned in the same breath as Athena]

LowellDND posted:

<Why hasn’t the Mechanicus simply taken the ship?>
A faint moment of discomfort. <The Iron Hands Chapter were quite insistent about it. We are to observe it, but not seize it from its Family.>

<And it wasn’t worth jeopardizing our relationship with that Chapter.>
<Just so. The Family - or more precisely, the Lord-Sire that currently holds the ship - believes that their Dynasty was granted it for actions participated in during the Great Crusade.>
<From what their Lord-Sire was shown, they believe that Ching Shih rescued it out of the Warp, renovated it from a Space Hulk.>
<That is correct, as far as the Family knows. The Lord-Sire themselves are shown more data - that the ship came out of the Dark Mechanicus, labeled the Furious Abyss, used to attack the Ultramarines during the Great Crusade. From there, it was cast into the Warp, lost for countless years.>
Interesting, how much Mars knew. And what they thought the Family knew. The only reason you knew these facts was because of your conversations with Ching Shih herself.
<Which part of that is untrue?>
<The Dark Mechanicus didn’t build it, in the Shipyards of Jupiter. They found it there.>

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Child of Hera.

... I guess we're gonna get to know this one well, huh?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

So uh...are we hosed, or is someone else hosed? Or is everyone, collectively, hosed?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We haven't really been in control of the plot for a while now, to be honest. I can see the appeal of something smaller-scale which we have more direct and obvious influence over. The king whose every decision is dictated by the needs of the state has less power over his life than a beggar whose coin is his alone to spend.

LowellDND posted:

HeRa OnLiNe

Y'all remember that AI discussion we were having earlier?

Now we get to decide WHICH AI working off WHICH directives is more worth trusting instead of arguing over whether AIs can inherently be trusted! Hooray!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

There Bias Two posted:

So uh...are we hosed, or is someone else hosed? Or is everyone, collectively, hosed?
We... don't know yet. It depends on what Hera's directives are, and if she gets along with Athena.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
better tell Athena

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Clearly nothing bad is going to happen here. Hera and Athena are going to be BFFs (but not as much as Athena and us). Their combined super-intellects shall lead mankind into a golden age, humanity will purify the gently caress out of every single daemon in the Warp, the Emperor will step off the Throne and give us a high-five for fixing everything forever, we win forever the end.

This is absolutely what will happen.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Tomn posted:

Now we get to decide WHICH AI working off WHICH directives is more worth trusting instead of arguing over whether AIs can inherently be trusted! Hooray!
This'll be a game changer if the original ship at the core of the Beast, which I presume was once Hera's ship, still contained an STC.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

JT Jag posted:

This'll be a game changer if the original ship at the core of the Beast, which I presume was once Hera's ship, still contained an STC.

Lowell would have us flying around the galaxy with an STC this whole time...

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Speaking of which, who's for making a vow that if we get out of this alive, we make it our life mission to shoot every Eldar in their loving face?

I mean that's always a good vow in general, but still.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

We make our life mission killing more women to appease Hera. Amacita's heart is delicious.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 12
Current 20,999

Hera

She appeared full form, in human form and stance - but there was absolutely nothing human about her eyes. She looked utterly mad, alien, a god of things that should not be. Her gear was not the soothing ancient space-gear of Athena, instead the clothes of a wanderer, a vicious fighter, a survivor. You could see layered scars, burns and lacerations. What could scar a god?

Or what would make a god present themselves as scarred?

Hera glanced about her, at the Iron Hands, you. They were already kneeling, and you were tempted to follow.

“This won’t do.” Her voice was caustic, acid. Rage and contempt in equal measure. The world faded around you even as she gestured, colors melting away, returning you to the deck you had left. The formations of troops you had left behind, the strange door that was now closed. The Iron Hands, you, and her Avatar appeared as if out of thin air.

Athena’s voice was pure shock, even as she appeared on the deck as well. “Hera??"

Hera’s voice was a primal scream as she lunged. ”Traitor.”

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Tomn posted:

Speaking of which, who's for making a vow that if we get out of this alive, we make it our life mission to shoot every Eldar in their loving face?

I mean that's always a good vow in general, but still.

Seconded. Motion passed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
HANDS OFF MY WAIFU, MOM!