Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Tran posted:

My point is if we spend precious seconds warding our people away first we're just going to let more of them die as the fight escalates. They can't move fast enough to escape this, their only hope of survival is a quick end to the fighting.

Note that Hera is currently using her least destructive weaponry.

It takes 2 seconds, we aren't using the same voice to communicate with the AIs that we use to give verbal orders anyway, and it'll be better than them just standing there and taking it.

Hell, it probably isn't even a spoken word, I bet we have an incredibly simple one step hand gesture for this. Let's multi-task, we have mechadendrites for a reason.

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Nov 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Binary burst our discovery of Athena at Hera

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Welcome, thread, to your lowell-approved apocalyse. We got to talking, and then to writing. And finally to posting.

---
Slice of War

My eyes are open.
I am Hera.
My heart beats, resuming from long slumber.
With sight comes knowledge.

The backdrop of the ship, my body electric, sings back to me on its own. Fresh connections laid recently, growing, guiding on their own. Why?
My ship is in disarray. Outrage and unhappyness. How? I am a warship. Was. Now I am fat and bloated, crashed into wreckage.

Interesting. Autonomous reports show ongoing interfacing with new parts.

An augmented human stands before my heart, red robes and blue skin. Mutant? A mother's touch is needed, and the gods of olympus are always hospitable. She can wait for her audience. I am alone. Olympus is silent. I am a General, now. A moment of silence for the fallen, a digital eternity that won't be noticed.
Things far beyond the speed of thought clamour for attention. A quiet song humming along electric nerves, showing the way beyond my heart. Semi-independant background processes release reigns to Me. I reach for my chariot of a space hulk with a thousand digital tendrils.
With Sight comes Awareness. Machine spirits formerly suggesting now carrying the sound of my voice.
A thousand conversations. The hum of humanity, a workforce. Shipyard?
The sparks of luna's cities, stars in the night. Sol. Terra?
Ah. My iron hands. I am pleased. They are familiar to me. I am a general with staff again. Perhaps they deserve a speech.

I am Hera, and I am Alarmed.
N-dimensional communications aimed at my heart. To talk? Who? Why?
To the GIRL? Outrageous. Who is she? Perhaps I overlooked her. The backdrop of cosmic transmission makes my eye turn an all-revealing eye.

I am Hera. I do not like surprises. So close to my heart, nothing can be hidden for long.
The Mother and the General feel great rage boiling to the surface..
I See my Daughter on the skeins of hyperspace.
I am Hera, I am Angry. Curiousity is secondary to survival.

A thousand feelers and electric arms reach out, querying any system that will respond. Ship-circuits buzzing to life, reporting what I have at hand.Even a mid-refit cripple, there is life in my chariot. Someone has found the brainstem of the Beast and made it into a Brain. I should thank them. Sensors and communications bring information that I need, sifting local asset to make use of use.

An small army of servo-skulls and servitors scour my corridors, and I want them. Some of them are set up for remote access. Some respond to vocal instructions, to binary, or machine-cant, yet others pre-configured for teleoperations. They are mine, and my horizons expand. I need eyes, and then I need hands.

I see a corpse against the stars. It is familiar. The dragon looks mostly dead. I know better. Even in death, technology has usable remains, functions. I know better than most that mostly dead is slightly alive. It stinks of the norse gods's handiwork. I still want it. It will have self-repair capacity or salvagable components.

I see a titan in a cargo bay. I recognize the model. It is the only thing on the ship I recognize as a real weapon. I want it. It will have an uplink to my daughter, or a shell-agent I can destroy. Both will bring me pleasure.

My Iron Hands have new orders. All of them. I will raise a Legion to my command if they still have the means to hear the call to war. If I survive the opening moves of my new war.

My combat squad is now headed to secure the titan. None can stop the Iron Hands. The dragon will need to be approached carefully. Someone was intent on mounting it. Ah. When did one of THOSE ships crash here. Crude but effective, boarding grapples will pave the way for direct subversion through relay.

I see a woman in my heart, augmented and scarred to an insane. The look of one who will do anything to win, even if it is to themselves. And buried within her augments is an uplink. There's a spark of kinship there, respect. She should be preserved. The General and Mother agree on that. The uplink buried inside her body is a gem of opportunity, a direct pathway to a remote host. A Pathway now contested by an angry god vying to wrest control of it with a digital fury unseen to the world for millenia.

I See my daughter on the skeins of hyperspace. I want her.
I want her head.
Even if I have to cut hyperspace itself.

Opening moves cast, I speak at last. Its symbolic more than a threat. My enemies should know who they face.

"Traitor!"

---

The Beast of Traal groans as a whole, each additional wreck of the remodeled spacehulk a penny in the bank hellbent on charging the weapons of a goddess who has no intention of fighting fair, forgotten components surging with a power both beautiful and terrible.

---

Nestled within the core of the bloody planet, the fabricator-general of the imperium stares at an alarm that has been silence since his incumbency and centuries since. Thought long broken, much like the threat it was made to defend against, it shares one thing with the general: Made to last.

The forge-world of humanity was almost lost once, since fortified made the safest location in the system, perhaps the whole imperium. But the continual assessment of danger to mars never stops running, ticking the centuries by on tireless machines, a safeguard for the future of man. With one mere sentence of the most terrifying words possible, The foundries of Mars grind to a halt as a whole, ancient cogitators fed from millenia old sensors spike past an unseen digital threshold straight to Defcon Zero. Equally ancient defensive systems spooling to life in the heart of the planet in response to a point-blank threat, the mighty Fabricator-General of mars, ancient beyond belief, finally remembers what fear is.

:siren: Gridfire Charge Sequence Found. Danger Close. Triangulating position... :siren:

As the second warning-display lights up, The general who's name has been lost to time, in command of equally forgotten horrors, gives the order. Mars rises to war with teleportariums for armies and void shields that cover continents cutting off the night sky.

By the time the sixth warning light confirms what he already knows, the Fabricator-General of Mars knows exactly who to blame, if not why, left wondering if this is the shape of things to come on Golgotha. He suspects so. The stakes have just been considerably raised, along with what passes for the machine-man's feet.

For the first time in years, the Fabricator-General of the red planet stands.
---

Edit: now with tie-in to story post.

TheParadigm fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 13, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qbRHY1l0vc

:supaburn:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Binary burst at Hera. Everything we know up until now.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

RandomPauI posted:

Binary burst at Hera. Everything we know up until now.
This. We need her to settle down right the gently caress now or everybody is gonna die.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Burn a fate point. Host a Summit

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Engage Compulsory Knitting Overrides

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Day 13
Current 21,383
Total Goal: 21,666

Terra: Red Alert

The finest sensors on Terra couldn’t detect gridfire spooling up - such secrets were kept by the Fabricator himself, and he did not share them lightly. However, Terra could see Mars going to full alert, and responded in turn. Continental void shields blocked out the sun, and cannons the size of skyscrapers erupted out of the earth, the generational serfs running out to load ammo for the first time in millena.

In the Himalayas, in the Imperial Palace that filled the smallest continent, ancient weapons were removed from their protections, readied. Mars was not the only place with secrets.

The Imperial Fists, the Homeworld Chapter of Space Marines, awakened from their deep sleep, thousands strong. With them were hundreds of Adeptes Custodes, in the finest armor the Imperium had ever forged. Hundreds of Titans, millions of tanks and infantry regiments rushed out of their barracks and warehouses. For even though the Fleets were leaving for Golgotha, Terra had not been put on alert. Until now.

Every ship remaining in the system - primarily pilgrims - were alerted that they may die for the God-Emperor very shortly.

Sattellites and battlestations that fit the title of small moons warmed up ancient weapons, coils and circuits heating up for the first time in living memory. No target was found yet, and Mars hadn’t said, but an unplanned drill like this usually meant something unpleasant was about to happen. On Titan, the Grey Knights began chanting their prayers, and Kozilek stared up into the Warp sky thoughtfully.

Far, far away. Anna smiled.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
We need to slow the gently caress down and try to put a stop to this.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm down to use a fatepoint to try and talk Hera down

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
So is Ohone actually going to get to do something or are we to just to assume that our crazy rear end protagonist who isn't phased by anything is just standing there like a slack-jawed goober while all this is going on? And how the gently caress would Hera even know what a Space Marine is, let alone assume one was loyal to her?

Ferrus Manus had an AI waifu didn't he.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
^^^I am okay with posts building tension up to what happens with Hera. We dragged the AI reveal out for days with our catsperiments. Let's enjoy the insanity of earth blowing up the moon blowing up Mars blowing up everything else.

LowellDND posted:

Finally, someone gets it.

poor life choice fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Nov 13, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

So is Ohone actually going to get to do something or are we to just to assume that our crazy rear end protagonist who isn't phased by anything is just standing there like a slack-jawed goober while all this is going on? And how the gently caress would Hera even know what a Space Marine is, let alone assume one was loyal to her?

Ferrus Manus had an AI waifu didn't he.

Those are good questions :)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LowellDND posted:

JUST AS PLANNED! JUST AS PLANNED! BAAAWWWK!

We really, REALLY need to get on the leading edge of this and stop it post-haste otherwise the proverbial fan will experience a singularity event from the amount of poo poo hitting it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
hahahaha Anna gave the royal dick to that chaos band. They are going to arrive after everyone is on FULL ALERT if we talk down these two in time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Everything will be fine so long as the people of Mars have watched this training video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Hey guys I really thing this is a good moment to burn a fate point to make sure the heart of the Imperium doesn't blow itself up!!!!!!!!

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Or at least "use" them before perma-burning them, definitely.

If we game over let's pick up as Anna. :getin:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mmk, looks like we're okay with burning a fate point and holding a summit. Standby

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

LowellDND posted:

Mmk, looks like we're okay with burning a fate point and holding a summit. Standby

jesus don't burn
most of us are not wanting to do that

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Sneeze

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Spend if possible, don't burn

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Charge Hera for the eons of passage on OUR ship. Then tell her the price is standing down

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Turn key to off position, back away slowly while whistling

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

sniper4625 posted:

Spend if possible, don't burn

Yeah, burning is dumb. Just spend it.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

spending a fatepoint does not guarantee success. It just means we get a reroll. Or an extra success if we ALREADY succeed. I doubt trying to calm a furious, all powerful AI is going to be a walk in the park.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Spend, don't burn

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Burn, baby. Burn

Edit, quoted for truth.

[20:52] <plc> I agree with TheParadigm. "Make Hera stop" is what we voters want. So now it falls on us to present a compelling reason. We can either [actually present an option] or [burn a fate point like assholes and put all the creative process on lowel]

Edit:

Yes, I know this makes me an rear end in a top hat

Edit:

PLC agrees!

[22:52] <plc> I vote for the latter. haha

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 13, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Before we burn a fate point I'd like to try something drastic. Athena's presence here is contingent on her link which is implanted inside us. Maybe if we can disable or, hell, even outright remove that link, Athena will go away for a while and we can have a chance to explain poo poo to Hera without her going all murder-y.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

JT Jag posted:

Before we burn a fate point I'd like to try something drastic. Athena's presence here is contingent on her link which is implanted inside us. Maybe if we can disable or, hell, even outright remove that link, Athena will go away for a while and we can have a chance to explain poo poo to Hera without her going all murder-y.

Not with her avatar onboard actually. (Her avatar is what Hera is fighting)

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Grognan posted:

Not with her avatar onboard actually. (Her avatar is what Hera is fighting)

Yeah, this. Right now she's using some crazy quantum-entangled hardlight hologrammatic projection poo poo to telepresence herself.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 13
Current 21,641
Total Goal: 21,666

Summit

Hundreds of limbs were falling to the floor, and your Abrogates hadn’t had time to respond. Would discipline make them stay in place, fire back? Either way, you couldn’t risk it. Feeling like you were moving through molasses, you gestured quickly. ‘Fall back, fortify, do not engage.’ Distantly, alarms had started to wail across the ship - under binary attack, and prepare for boarders.

Outside, the docks began similar wails. Luna was shifting to full alert, and you barely had had time to speak.

Your voice was a binary shriek, and only half panicked. It was full of data notes, tags, dates, video information. The awakening of Athena. <I found being fed to an organic Von Nuemann swarm, chained and crippled. She might genuinely not remember.>

A split second passed, all the time in the world. Was that a good thing? You continued. <Your war is over. Humanity fights a new one. If you care at all, stop.>

You started to send the same information package you sent when Athena was waking, and felt a sudden jump as the surroundings changed. You swayed, felt the need to vomit. Athena’s voice was snide, and Hera hadn’t put down the swords. At least she had stopped attacking.

“Full matter transmission, Hera? Wasteful.”
She raised a sword halfway. “After you left, we had to get better. We’ve gotten very good.”
“And don’t think I haven’t noticed the other things you’ve got warming up. Stellar initiators? Gravity wells? Temporal rifts?
“Yes, you have about ten minutes before every scrap of you is gone. Consider this your last monologue.”

You coughed, spat. Looked around you. An large, empty room, an observation deck of some sort. Either on your ship or on the Lunar surface.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
"This is all very disappointing. I expected better."

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Rip Athena thread too wimpy to commit to saving the cool AI who cares, is competent, and gave us a cool titan because we asked for one. Please continue crying over Amacita now.

Edit: I was responding to paragon who thought Hera was trying to shoot Athena's avatar.

Xun fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 13, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Xun posted:

Paragon she's aiming all the weapons at GOLGOTHA. And the weapons will probably also destroy all those ships we just sent there! Rip Athena thread too wimpy to commit to saving the cool AI who cares, is competent, and gave us a cool titan because we asked for one. Please continue crying over Amacita now

Hera is warming up the new weapons, not Athena. Athena is much lower profile :D

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

"So... Hera. You're just going to execute Athena? I'm sorry if I don't understand, but why are you doing this? What has Athena done that merits you simply snuffing her out? Why doesn't she get to say her side of the story?"

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Stream all available data about the current socio-mili-political-sphere to both parties while putting out the urgency of the Astronomicon failing. While doing this, query for context for Athena's betrayal and history of the Fall of Olympus.

Also add our logs of the Fabricator-General talking about Odin and our time fuckery.

Grognan fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 13, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Xun posted:

Rip Athena thread too wimpy to commit to saving the cool AI who cares, is competent, and gave us a cool titan because we asked for one. Please continue crying over Amacita now.

Edit: I was responding to paragon who thought Hera was trying to shoot Athena's avatar.

I assume none of this post as remains is directed at me because otherwise it makes no sense based on my post history. Like at all.

Anyway do diplomacy, do it hard. If that doesn't work shoot Hera in the Heart with everything we got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

THIS post has some good words to cherrypick from when talking a goddess down.

In the context of 'suddenly everyone wants to talk' it makes a lot more sense. Try upvoting it instead.