Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Did we ask her what makes a human yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
We should ask Hera or Athena to heal\resurrect the god-emperor.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Outrail posted:

Imagine how far technology would be if even one world had been isolated from the Imperium prior to dark age (and not eaten by warp/xeno shenanigans).

They were purged or made into forge worlds during the great crusade.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That's my point, if they'd been left alone in isolation they'd practically be Gods by now.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Outrail posted:

That's my point, if they'd been left alone in isolation they'd practically be Gods by now.

Maybe they already are? Maybe they fled the Galaxy seeing what poo poo is waiting for them here? Maybe they stayed and are lying in wait. :tinfoil:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe they already are? Maybe they fled the Galaxy seeing what poo poo is waiting for them here? Maybe they stayed and are lying in wait. :tinfoil:

-scribbles furiously-

:tinfoil: Someone had to know enough to set up the throne to call the nids. Someone who would benefit from a broken Imperium, but be able to handle nids themselves! :tinfoil:

Loel fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Nov 21, 2015

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

I think we need more Tomn Questions™ with this insane Goddess.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I think we need more Tomn Questions™ with this insane Goddess.

Current questions I still have in the queue:

quote:

What makes a human?
What is art?
What is beauty?
Who made you, and for what purpose?
Are you happy with that role?
Can you think of what might drive Athena to subvert herself?
Have the If Athena Was A Traitor and Doesn't Remember It, was it really her and not someone else? talk with Hera. If she's certain about that inevitable betrayal, ask how she'd fix it?
Fish the Pillar out from her core, check whether Hera can see it or not. Maybe its mind-cloaking power is targeted at specific kinds of minds?
Ask hera if she ever knew the emperor back in the day - and to give her advice looking at the Throne/assisting with the fixitray
Introduce Hera and Ching Shih - connection obvious due to the iron hands tasks
Pull the Iron Hands in for questioning to this bullshit that happened - this was their device.
Go snag the athena-drone figment for questioning.

Grabpot Thundergust
Jul 6, 2010
Who is Terra?
Why is Athena?
Where are the Iron Men of yesteryear?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Here's a largely useless question:

Of the core principles you say you and Athena have, which of them relate to how you should treat with humanity, and what do they say?

(Largely useless because if her core principles allowed her to harm humanity and she wanted to, she'd just lie about it. Worth a shot, tho!)

For that matter, Are there any notable core principles universal to all your kind?

Tomn fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 21, 2015

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

LowellDND posted:

-scribbles furiously-

:tinfoil: Someone had to know enough to set up the throne to call the nids. Someone who would benefit from a broken Imperium, but be able to handle nids themselves! :tinfoil:
Given that only the Emperor himself can really control it, maybe he decided to call the 'nids to wipe clean an Imperium that grew into everything he hated about humanity.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There Bias Two posted:

Given that only the Emperor himself can really control it, maybe he decided to call the 'nids to wipe clean an Imperium that grew into everything he hated about humanity.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

LowellDND posted:

-scribbles furiously-

Doubtful, anyone strong enough to take on the 'nids should be able to break the Imperium over their knee. It also presupposes someone with extra-galactic knowledge of something ten thousand years away. It is a plot that would require an actor so powerful and perfect that they'd be on par with straight up Judaeo-Christian God, and even then it wouldn't make sense to me outside of a really savagely cruel boredom that the rest of the characters in setting can do nothing about.

In short, pulling such a thing off would require an actor so powerful that they could not possibly actually benefit from pulling it off, in my opinion.

Edit: And if it was the Emperor then he could solve the problem by turning the thing off and letting one of the 50 other existential threats the Imperium faces go to work. And for him to have been planning genocide of his own species from uh, quite a while back.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Maybe the Emperor saw the nids coming, took a knee to Horus and then climbed into his giant bug zapper and was going to wait until they encircled earth, THEN he would zap them all and rebuild for the who-knows-how-manyeth-time.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Seems like humanity would be in a whole lot better shape, have destroyed or suppressed most galaxy-local threats (except maybe the orks), and therefore be waaaaaaay more able to face the Tyranids if the Emperor doesn't intentionally just barely win one of the biggest wars in human history.

Something I don't get, lore wise, how did the Emperor's forces navigate the galaxy during the Great Crusade with no one on the G-Throne?

ALSO what happens when you put a blank and a warp creature in the same room?

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Nov 21, 2015

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Mostly I'm raining on this particular conspiracy parade because a setting where absolutely loving everything all the time is JUST AS PLANNED for somebody, even worse if they all turn out to be the same somebody, bores the absolute poo poo out of me.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

paragon1 posted:

Seems like humanity would be in a whole lot better shape, have destroyed or suppressed most galaxy-local threats (except maybe the orks), and therefore be waaaaaaay more able to face the Tyranids if the Emperor doesn't intentionally just barely win one of the biggest wars in human history.

Something I don't get, lore wise, how did the Emperor's forces navigate the galaxy during the Great Crusade with no one on the G-Throne?

The Emperor was OP enough to run the beacon thing and conquer a bunch of planets for awhile. Eventually he had to stop and devote most of his energy to doing that though.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Emps sailed by the force of his own goddam willpower. The warp is just a reflection of the mind. Our abrogrates have enough juice to smooth the warp as we go. You have a big enough brain and you can just "go" where you want.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Arkanomen posted:

Emps sailed by the force of his own goddam willpower. The warp is just a reflection of the mind. Our abrogrates have enough juice to smooth the warp as we go. You have a big enough brain and you can just "go" where you want.

Or enough really small brains.

ERE WE GO!
ERE WE GO!
ERE WE GO THROUGH DA KOSMOS!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Anticheese posted:

Or enough really small brains.

ERE WE GO!
ERE WE GO!
ERE WE GO THROUGH DA KOSMOS!

They seem like they're having so much fun!

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

There Bias Two posted:

They seem like they're having so much fun!

Orks do not fear death as they have no concept of it. A life of Dakka and Krumpin' and Loot'n, so longs as you ain't a git. S'good life mate.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Arkanomen posted:

Orks do not fear death as they have no concept of it. A life of Dakka and Krumpin' and Loot'n, so longs as you ain't a git. S'good life mate.

And when they die, they just go to Ork Heaven which is just them krumpin' other orks with Gork and Mork for eternity.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

Slice of Life - The Tribes of the Batteries - Shepherd Boy

He had a name, but even his family just called him Boy. Boy, go fetch that wrench for your Da. Get over here boy, it’s time for dinner. Bedtime boy, you need your rest before you go learn the Rituals with your sisters.

He was good at running. He ran everywhere he went, scurrying over pipes and around obstacles, learning the ways Between that the Tribes traveled. The boy like to pretend that he was a racer like his distant cousin Jeb, who had only ever lost to the Iron Maiden, the Lord Sire herself! Jeb now served in other parts of the Beast, a commander of men and pilot trusted with Her life. Such an honor! The boy had only been a baby when that fabled race had happened, only three cycles old, but he demanded his mother tell him stories of Lady Ohone’s visit to the Batteries, and the feast that had happened afterward with the pipe beasts music playing for days while marriages took place and the Tribes rejoiced.

Such tales were a only reminder of what had been. After the Magos War his mother refused to speak of the old days when meatbeasts were plentiful and things had been the same as they’d always been. In fact, she refused to speak at all. The boy supposed the walls must hold some secrets in them, the way she would stare at them for hours.

The Battery the boy’s clan maintained was sacred, so he was only allowed to approach on occasion to view the Rituals. One day he too would take part in the holy Ritual of Cleansing when the Tribes would gather together like they had years ago, or perhaps the Rite of Strength. There were a myriad of smaller ceremonies that were carried out day to day, but it was the big ones that caught the boy’s imagination.

He remembered the Migration, when the Tribes had abandoned the Batteries for the first time in living memory. Then had come the Resettlement, but nothing would be the same for his clan. The meatbeasts they had lived off of were gone. The wild place the adults went to to prove themselves was destroyed, cleaned out by the Kriegs and the Iron Lady’s servo skulls after the ship had been Purged. The boy had listened to the grown ups speak of these things, but in the way of children he paid little attention to the details. Things were different. It was the way of life to change, and yet the Batteries remained. As long as they were in place, the Tribes would endure.

It was their way of life, and they adapted.

The Beast that housed them provided food, nutrient paste that was filling but a far cry from the slabs of fragrant meat they used to eat. The elders had petitioned the Family for different food, for a chance to return to their old ways, and the Family had provided a new type of meatbeast - ovines with curled horns and thick coats of brown hair. A woman in Family colors had been present when the herd had been brought on board, the boy didn’t know where any of the animals had come from, and she was as beautiful as an angel to him with her halo of blond hair. He saw her smile was sad, and it made him sad to think of it, but soon his life was full of the smelly bleating ovines and their needs.

The ovines were well suited for life on board the Beast, as long as you could keep them from wandering into a pocket of void space, or falling into a puddle of toxic chemicals, or crossing a room full of deadly radiation. They were sure footed, though, and often could be found in improbable locations far up on a ledge where they would bleat proudly to make sure you saw them there. Or maybe they did it just so they could poop on you from above.

The boy thought the ovines were dumb, and they needed herding from space to space or they would pick a room clean of the fungal growths they lived off of. So the Circuit was created, a lopsided trail through the Tribes where other boys would help move along the growing herds of furry beasts. One didn’t want to wander too far from their own clan, of course, so rather than following one group of ovines through the Circuit the boys would hand off a herd to the next Clan’s boys, who would guide the creatures through Between until they came to another clan’s territory.

Unless there was a war on, of course. Arguments between grown ups could make a war between the Tribes, but there hadn’t been a decent raid in a few years, and never one since the new meatbeasts had arrived. After the Magos War and the Purge the Tribes had huddled in their Batteries, more concerned about the latent xeno threat, than about what another Tribe might be planning.

And then the Drusian pilgrims on board had begun to change. There was no religion for the Tribes other than the worship of the Omnissiah and the Batteries they were pledged to maintain for the Family, but the boy and the other children were taught the story of Saint Fabiyan and how He saved them from the Darkness at the side of the Lord Sire. But the pilgrims had begun calling themselves Abrogates, and dressing like St. Fabiyan’s Krieg marines. The boy didn’t understand why they never smiled. He would sneak along his own secret ways in Between and spy on their areas of the Beast. Everything was clean and regimented with none of the friendly chaos of the Tribes.

There were no arguments or shouting matches. But there weren’t any games or singing, just the chants of their worship at prescribed times, a baleful drone that buzzed through the passageways and made his head ache.

The Tribes no longer had to fear the xeno, either; the threat to the Beast had been revealed by the woman he remembered from a year ago delivering the ovines, and she had heroically sacrificed her life to save the entire ship. Amacita, she was called. He whispered a prayer of thanks to her every night after his prayers to Fabyian. Perhaps she was not a saint like he was, but it couldn’t hurt.

He was seven now, old enough to only go home to eat or to sleep. He lived in Between with the ovines when there was a herd passing through, slept in a pile with his siblings when there wasn’t, and ran free through the Tribes. He would be a racer when he was old enough. Life was good for the boy.

And then he heard that they were at a place called Luna, and the Beast stopped moving, and everything began to change again.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Neat story hollylolly, keep it up!

Did Luna set up a bunch of uber-powerful cannons to shoot out of the dragon's mouth like I asked!?!?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

Neat story hollylolly, keep it up!

Did Luna set up a bunch of uber-powerful cannons to shoot out of the dragon's mouth like I asked!?!?

Nova Cannon, plus an alpha strike button that fires everything that can rotate aimed at one direction.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You have one of the fastest shootiest ships in the Imperium atm.

Just... not a lot of armor :v:

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003

LowellDND posted:

You have one of the fastest shootiest ships in the Imperium atm.

Just... not a lot of armor :v:

Plot armor??

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Flashback

Julian only knew Luckas professionally so he was surprised at Luckas's invitation to stop by the Explorator's quarters. There the two would commemorate the life of and commiserate over the death of Amacita. Julian was also told to bring a bottle of alcohol suitable for the occasion. The informal memorial would be held the night before Ohone and her retinue made its way to Terra.

The nondescript retinue welcomed the Romanesque tribune with an air of hesitation and uncertainty. Julian brought two slices of Lady Goldenglow cake a two-hundred year old icewine bottled on the long-since destroyed pleasure planet Ivuys. Two of the things Amacita loved to eat and drink the most.

Luckas's rooms were filled with books, showpieces, and other mementos chronicling his journeys into the belly of the Beast. The room that seemed to be the most open and inviting was the trophy room. A room filled with the taxidermied remains of creatures slain on the beasts. Two plush chairs had been pushed together, a coffee table between them with an assortment of bottles and glasses on it. Julian was unnerved by how cramped everything was and made his feelings known.

"Your quarters are a bit confining"
"I like the privacy."
"I didn't think that was possible on the Beast."
Luckas snarled his response. "Fredrick doesn't bother with this room. He's too busy drinking and watching orgies to bother with a man who reads reports in the dark all day."
"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it like that, besides, he's got some good..." Julian's instincts to de-escalate the situation and to protect his friend made his words sound insincere. Luckas remained angry.
"A good man doesn't wait for a person to make a mistake so he can swoop down on them like a vulture."

Julian frowned, he was trained to respond to angry outbursts but he didn't react properly at all. They drank in silence for half an hour before Julian spoke up.

"I have a plan for when we get to Luna. I know we can't take Amacita with us so I'm going to burn one of her drawings from when we started therapy and scatter the ashes."

"She would appreciate it"

Luckas rose and walked to a mounted tyranid skull. It concealed a wall-safe. Luckas unlocked it with a thumbprint, opened it up, and took out a small package wrapped in parchment and secured with a black ribbon. He walked towards Julian slowly, and handed it over to Julian with his eyes closed and a painful grimace on his face.

"This is a lock of her hair, don't ask me how I got it. She'd rather have it on Terra than stuck in a wall."
"This is a saintly relic!"
"Tell no one. Burn her remains on Terra."
"I, of course I will. But why me?"
"Because I'd just hold onto it. I have a request. No one will tell me how Amacita died. Fredrick knows, you're friends, please find out."
"Everyone knows that she died at the hands of the xeno"
Luckas's voice turned angry again. "I don't need to know what killed her, I need to know HOW she died."

The two would spend the rest of the night drinking and sharing stories about Amacita, with Luckas having three stories for every one Julian had to share. Julian considered keeping a strand of the hair for himself to clone a baby version of her. But then it wouldn't really be her, no matter how hard he tried to raise her right. Luckas never considered that possibility though. To him, it was the most tangible tie he had to the woman who was saving the soul of the beast. They never touched the cake.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

See Ark? Everyone loved and misses Amacita :3:

Meanwhile - with me plotting to actually publish and make monies from this, I should probably check in for the guest authors. The npcs who've been significant (and still alive) are below, and I am plotting wringing them through the editing process along with my own npcs. If you do not want this to happen, please say so.

JT Jag - little sire
random paul - julian
hihi - adelaide
PLC - knoxie
ark - travis
hexen - bricellus
xun - chanti
waci - katarina, wolfgang, salmari

Same thing goes for new fanfic, as well. Im happy to share the playground, but please let me know if you don't want your character in the final product.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Come to think of it, if you're planning to make money from this have you gotten in contact with GW yet? They're a bit tight-fisted with their intellectual property, from what I recall.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Come to think of it, if you're planning to make money from this have you gotten in contact with GW yet? They're a bit tight-fisted with their intellectual property, from what I recall.

Thats why step 1 is sanitize everything :D They aren't Space Marines, they are Nephlilim! Or whatever.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

paragon1 posted:

The established effect is that their connection to the warp is diminished or even severed. In practical terms demons find it very uncomfortable to be suddenly impacted by physical reality. Little things like gravity, mortality, and a general inability to draw power and sustenance from the warp itself.

For something like the Emperor it would be unprecedented, but we can speculate that either it'd sever his corpse from the mass of souls known as the astronomicon or the raw amount of warp energy would somehow overpower the blank.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tran posted:

The established effect is that their connection to the warp is diminished or even severed. In practical terms demons find it very uncomfortable to be suddenly impacted by physical reality. Little things like gravity, mortality, and a general inability to draw power and sustenance from the warp itself.

For something like the Emperor it would be unprecedented, but we can speculate that either it'd sever his corpse from the mass of souls known as the astronomicon or the raw amount of warp energy would somehow overpower the blank.

To expand on the idea, our (mid level) blank started getting cerebral hemmorhages when he approached the brain vat.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Okay, cool. I assume beings in the warp are basically blind to blanks in realspace?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Depending on how smart they are they might be able to spot the area they couldn't see as far as just sensing stuff goes, and if they have physical sense those will still work, but otherwise generally yeah.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

See Ark? Everyone loved and misses Amacita :3:

Meanwhile - with me plotting to actually publish and make monies from this, I should probably check in for the guest authors. The npcs who've been significant (and still alive) are below, and I am plotting wringing them through the editing process along with my own npcs. If you do not want this to happen, please say so.

JT Jag - little sire
random paul - julian
hihi - adelaide
PLC - knoxie
ark - travis
hexen - bricellus
xun - chanti
waci - katarina, wolfgang, salmari

Same thing goes for new fanfic, as well. Im happy to share the playground, but please let me know if you don't want your character in the final product.

Adie is all yours mate

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
My tribunes are yours.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Feel free to use anything I've posted here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Do whatever you want with Travis. I'm sure a lot of people have suggestions hahaha.