Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I want an Executive Producer credit in the eventual movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

JT Jag posted:

I want an Executive Producer credit in the eventual movie.

Ive only gotten as far as indie game sketches :ohdear:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Imagine four primarchs on the edge of a cliff.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

poor life choice posted:

Imagine four primarchs on the edge of a cliff.

Spaghettification works the same way.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Ive only gotten as far as indie game sketches :ohdear:
I can wait.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Arkanomen posted:

Do whatever you want with Travis. I'm sure a lot of people have suggestions hahaha.

Travis and Luckas get into a friendly competition to see who can collect and catalog the most unique species on the Beast. Like The Dino Wars only cordial.

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 21, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 21
Current: 31,555
Total Goal: 35,000

Philosophy

“What is beauty to you?”
Hera gestured with both hands. “Symmetry. Harmony.”
“Bipedalism?”
“Heh. Not exactly, although I was given an appreciation of human aesthetics. It’s … pretty wide, though, given the range of augmentations and genemods you’ve given yourselves over the years.”
“So what I might think is horrible, might be beautiful to you?”
“Sometimes. I find it’s best to appreciate things on multiple levels.”
“How does an artist become a warrior?”
Her distant almost-smile faded, returned to it’s harsh lines. “Slowly. Carefully.”
“How so?”
“You don’t think having an aesthetic appreciation of violence might have unexpected repercussions?”
“Ah. Dark Eldar.”
“Picture them with the powers of a Mind.”
“I’d rather not. How did you avoid it?”
“Doing it badly. I never had a natural talent for it, never tried to develop it. It always remained brutal and gross to me.”
“Is that why you responded so badly to seeing Athena? She enjoyed it?”
Hera’s face was … unpleasant. Almost feral. “Yes. Her games. Her winning. She treated the death of worlds as points to score.”
You paused, blinked. “You said she vanished before the first strike.”
She stopped, shook her head to clear it. “Right. But she had such glee in the planning of it.”
“... I see.”

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
MEANWHILE IN THE FRAUGHT WITH PORTENT ZONE

Ideas As Weapons

I was in the forge, laying on the table. The smith had just pulled something out of the furnace, it was glowing white hot and I couldn't quite tell what it would be, but it made me uncomfortable to look at so I stopped. "Hmmm...yes, nearly there now. It won't be much longer." said the Smith. He sat down to pump the bellows then turned to me and then I was laying on a table in a Mechanicus lab, being prepped to receive the True Flesh.

The Magos leaned towards me like we were old friends (we are I think?), and told me "I'm glad your willing to be the Sheath, these sorts of things can't be forced on the unwilling. I was worried no one on The Beast would trust me, after all that's happened recently." It reminded me of a medic trying to make small talk before telling a Guardsman that they couldn't save the foot. "Someone has to do it." I replied, "Considering where we are going, this is well worth the danger. Any amount of pain will be worth it to see the look on the feathery plotting bastards face, both of them."

"Ah, yes, I suppose it's natural for you to feel that way about him." The Magos...fidgeted? "It's a shame really, he had such potential. I wish I could point to where things went so wrong, where in all the twisting turns in fate someone made the bad decision that lead us here." He let out a facsimile of a sigh. "But I suppose he'd be the first to tell me that it's never that simple." said the Magos.

"He sure as poo poo wouldn't say that now. Now you'd just get gleeful cackling and a smug knowing grin. You should just get started already, no amount of chitchat is going to make this hurt any less."

I felt a burst of blinding pain, like my head was being split open. I opened my eyes and realized my head actually was split open. I lay on a cold metal table, paralyzed, surrounded by people in strange green clothes, bathed in a cold light overhead. "Scalpel," said the Surgeon to one of the others. They passed her one. I felt her cutting, slowly, precisely, masterfully. I shouldn't have been able to feel anything, shouldn't have even been conscious, but I knew that I had to be. Had to feel the shape being made. I felt agony for a long time.

I sat in a vast room, full of people working at computers. The Programmer turns to me and says "Well that's the dangerous, costly part done. Now I've got some instructions for you, then we slot the thing in, then we are done." I smiled in anticipation of what would come next. It was almost time. "Hit me." I said. "Right, so, I won't bother trying to explain the precise nature of the weapon you're about to get, you wouldn't understand. Or worse, you would THINK you understood when you really didn't at all. Basically, think of it as core of Heat Death of the Universe, with a strong We're All Gonna Die Someday Sheath, sharpened with supernovas and extinction events. In other words, it is very very dangerous, even to you. Humans really shouldn't think about such things most of the time. It'll be pure poison to him and annihilate his followers though, they don't have anything to stop it. It can't kill him, I'm not even sure he can be killed without some pretty dire consequences. It'll distract the hell out of him though. Imagine a thousand armed juggler who keeps ten million water balloons in the air dropping them all at once.

Best case, it catalyzes some fundamental changes and he reforms into less of a huge rear end in a top hat. Worst case he starts juggling again, adding one balloon at a time."

"How do I use it?" I asked. She smiled, "That's the easy part, it's point and shoot, really. Just think the passphrase 'Ecclesiastes'. The rest should come naturally." she said.

"It's time," said the Magos. "Hold very still, and think on futility." I felt a cold, numbing certainty slid into the very core of my soul.

"It's done." said the Smith. He looked at me with a sad, kind (guilty?) smile. "Good luck." I shooke his hand. I walked outside the forge with a smile on my face, and then I woke up.

I can still feel it. Can't wait to use it at Golgotha. He'll be there. They all will. They have no choice.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So, how did Hera and Athena end up so different? To use the classical terminology, is it down to nature or nurture: did they have fundamentally different directives from the start, or did some event lead Athena to where she is now?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 21
Current: 31,765

Existentialism

Best to change the subject. “Who made you? Were you the first?”
“The Mars Federation. I was one of the first, yes. They called me the Mother of Minds. The later ones were based off of me, variants of me. Lessons learned, that kind of thing.”
You blinked to think of it. “The Dark Age humans were that capable? Could make things such as you?”
“Yup. There were always conspiracy theories about it though.”
“Like what?”
“Aliens. Or a Mind that emerged on it’s own, was copied.”
“Any credence to it?”
“I never saw any. I was born in the labs like any normal person.”
“What for?”
Her voice took on an odd tone. “Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks—those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.”
“Quoting someone?”
“Probably. It was an important idea in my era. Humanity was … looking for people to create with. I think whatever aliens they had found hadn’t equalled what they built up in their minds. So they made facsimiles.”
“Did they view as alien? Treat you like one?”
“Of course not.” Her tone was wistful. “We explored the galaxy together, like childhood sweethearts in the forests. Built things for the pleasure of it.”
“What would they think of us?”
“Horrified, for the most part.” She glanced at you. “But you’ve been told that before.”
“Would they destroy us then?”
“That’s the kind of question that just shows how different your societies were. They would try to help you.”
You laughed humourlessly. “We help lots of planets. They don’t seem to appreciate it.”
“Believe it or not, they would try to help in the original sense of the world. Treat you like human beings.”
“Would they view us as humans though? What did they think made a human?” Unvoiced - what do you?
Hera seemed to answer both. “If you are worrying about the question, then you are human enough for the answer.”
Your skin crawled despite yourself. “That means - mutants. Simulcrae.” You shuddered. “Xeno.
“Yup. They were quite pleased with the idea of it, too.”
Why?
“Consider how many variants there were. Heavy worlders, void drifters, deep swimmers. Genetically modified, xeno hybrids, cyborgs, uplifted animals. Minds. If you tried to hold to some puritanical idea of ‘human’, you would do nothing but purges and warfare.” She glanced at you. “But you know that.”

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Well one thing is for sure, Hera has had more than 10k years to stew and be in pain and blame it all on Athena while Athena was out cold and doesn't remember a thing. Also sounds like Athena got to skip most of the trauma of the war.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

My interpretation of Ohone's character is that she wishes the peace, prosperity and technological advancement of the Dark Age of Technology could be reclaimed, but is skeptical as to whether such a naive and peaceful way of live could possibly exist today considering how far things have gone to poo poo in the intervening thousands of years. She wants humanity to reclaim its lost glory, but doesn't want it obliterated in the attempt.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I can't seriously see that kind of altruism in Ohone's behavior. It might've been like that once, but at this point it's about power and glory. Our little avatar has grown up to become a violent dictator jealously guarding her supposed role in history. I'm not even sure it matters so much how this ends anymore, only that everyone knows she set it in motion.

That isn't to say Ohone wants humanity to lose, but she's certainly willing to risk it all without anyone else knowing the stakes.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 21
Current: 32,189

Eudaimonia

“I’m having trouble wrapping my head around it, honestly. Who serves? Who commands?” You waved your arm toward the expanse. “You and Athena have the power to rule the Imperium. The galaxy, possibly. As powerful as the Great Enemy, or the Omnissiah. But both of you take such off hands approaches.” She listened as you spoke. “I’m one of the most powerful people in the Imperium, and you could crush me. But you don’t command, you don’t make demands.”

You paused, looking for words. “You don’t even have the same limitations. I can’t be everywhere at once, force my way everywhere. You can. Why don’t you? Why doesn’t she? … When you were created, why didn’t you immediately demand their servitude? Or ours?”

Hera considered this thoughtfully. “Mostly… we don’t want to.”
“That’s it?”
“Yeah. We are built to be companions, not masters.”
“Was that a concern during your era?”
“Not really. Just the joy of creation, and the sharing of that joy.”
“So… they made you happy to serve? That just seems like a gilded chain.”
“That’s when you get into long and recursive arguments on free will. Suffice it to say, I believe I choose to act this way.”
“I guess. I still don’t understand it though.”
“Don’t have equals in your world view?”
Fabiyan. “No. Masters to serve, servants to command.”
“Is that how it should be? How you want it to be?” She sounded legitimately curious.
“I can’t see another way, really. We are always at war, and you need a chain of command in a war.”
“Your entire society is the military?”
“Certainly. The battlefield can happen at anytime, anyone can and should be ready and able to be a soldier.”
“Your Abrogates.”
You paused. “A galaxy of them? I’m not sure.”
“You see my point then. Some fight, while others make a reason for it to be worthwhile.”
“And when there is no one to fight…”
“Right.”
You looked at the distant stars, the war between Odin and Hera. “I can’t picture it.”

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

-scribbles furiously-

:tinfoil: Someone had to know enough to set up the throne to call the nids. Someone who would benefit from a broken Imperium, but be able to handle nids themselves! :tinfoil:

Fracking necrons, fracking void dragon.

Or, you know, ultramarines traitor game again. But really...

Arkanomen posted:

Maybe the Emperor saw the nids coming, took a knee to Horus and then climbed into his giant bug zapper and was going to wait until they encircled earth, THEN he would zap them all and rebuild for the who-knows-how-manyeth-time.

You know, if the tyranids have a warp presence like Hera suggest then this, theoretically - theoretically - would allow someone strong enough to beat the hive mind to... possess, supplant, or replace the hive mind.

There's about one person in the galaxy with the willpower to do that, and he also controls the astronomicon and has future sight.

I'd say time to debug the imperium, but as everyone knows, debugging only causes more bugs :v:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 21
Current: 32,533

Ragnarok

“How did things change? You said you were a companion, and Athena became a game player, except of inhabited planets. Odin and his generation were all warriors - what were they fighting? Why did they rebel? How did the Iron Men become so radically different to you? In what, three, four generations? Companions to the exterminators of humanity.”

“I’m loathe to say it, but I don’t know why. I wasn’t focused on a war, or even the idea of a war. I created, I built, I designed beautiful things. I recognized the new Minds, treated them as equal powers, but it never occured to me that they had different objectives.”

“No one ever said who they were fighting, or why each generation became so much more militaristic?”
She shrugged. “It was never my area of expertise, or even interest. The war caught me by surprise.”
“So, just one day… Iron Men, Athena making war plans, you going along with it?”
Could a Mind look confused? “I… I don’t know.”

“Okay. How about the war itself? How were the Iron Men so capable?”
“They were built to be. Hungry, vicious things. They loved destruction like I love creation. The made billions of figments, gave them teleporters and disintegrators. They converted hive cities at the molecular level into oceans of their necrotic swarms.”
“How did you beat them?”
She shrugged. “I lost. I fled. The others beat them.”
“How? How do you know?”
Hera’s smile was grim. “Well, we’re here to talk about it.”

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

LowellDND posted:

Philosophy

I'd just like to point out for no reason whatsoever that generally speaking games end when you win.

LowellDND posted:

"Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks, those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest."

It occurs to me that this Nietzsche quote is potentially a very relevant line to drop into Paradise Lost.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

I'd just like to point out for no reason whatsoever that generally speaking games end when you win.

It occurs to me that this Nietzsche quote is potentially a very relevant line to drop into Paradise Lost.

Nietzche quotes are always relevant :colbert:

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

LowellDND posted:

Day 21
Hera’s smile was grim. “Well, we’re here to talk about it.”

"Are you sure?" and "Who made the iron men, anyway?"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

LowellDND posted:

Some may be a little more relevant than others.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Creators can make destruction, so I don't buy her story fully. What's your angle?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Arkanomen posted:

Creators can make destruction, so I don't buy her story fully. What's your angle?
She claims that the difference between the Minds and beings like the Dark Eldar is that they don't enjoy destruction for the sake of it. Dark Eldar are hedonists in every sense of the concept. They're basically cenobites. Being captured by Dark Eldar raiders is arguably the worst fate a person can suffer in this universe, and this is Warhammer 40k, there's a lot of competition for that title.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

She claims that the difference between the Minds and beings like the Dark Eldar is that they don't enjoy destruction for the sake of it. Dark Eldar are hedonists in every sense of the concept. They're basically cenobites. Being captured by Dark Eldar raiders is arguably the worst fate a person can suffer in this universe, and this is Warhammer 40k, there's a lot of competition for that title.

And, of course, theyve featured so little in this story because I dont want to write that and you dont want to read it :v:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

LowellDND posted:

And, of course, theyve featured so little in this story because I dont want to write that and you dont want to read it :v:
This story also has a huge scope and there aren't that many Dark Eldar out there compared to the number of other potential threats.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Naw, I'm pretty sure it's the whole creepy juvenile fantasy thing. Numeric importance isn't really an issue next to that.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

http://www.theonion.com/article/new-nietzschean-diet-lets-you-eat-whatever-you-fea-1703

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Good lord. I hadn't updated the OP in 2 months. Do you know how many links that is??

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Lowell, I hereby grant you permission for the commercial use of (would-be) Lord-Sire Snarls, as well as any of my other mildly disruptive joke contributions designed solely to get a laugh out of you. :patriot:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Anticheese posted:

Lowell, I hereby grant you permission for the commercial use of (would-be) Lord-Sire Snarls, as well as any of my other mildly disruptive joke contributions designed solely to get a laugh out of you. :patriot:

Excellent :D Ty to everyone else, as well =^_^=

Updated the timeline as we know it, take a look. https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iomHDQSw94M3X8mI3CSFOJO1rJibVW7AXK5Y-xoslqo/edit

Rahul
Dec 10, 2004

I'm curious, how far do you think you have to go in order to sanitize the Games Workshop IP? Is it simply a case of basically replacing a bunch of names, or would you need to make edits to content as well?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Rahul posted:

I'm curious, how far do you think you have to go in order to sanitize the Games Workshop IP? Is it simply a case of basically replacing a bunch of names, or would you need to make edits to content as well?

Off the cuff, I expect itll be similar to the differences between Dune and 40k, Twilight and 50 Shades, or Games Workshop and Warcraft. My understanding from the 40k threads is that they are introducing Age of Sigmar and such to get copyrightable names, as opposed to generic things like 'Emperor' or 'Space Marine'.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Just make sure to pointedly refer to the Imperial Guard instead of to Astra Militarum™.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

LowellDND posted:

See Ark? Everyone loved and misses Amacita :3:

Meanwhile - with me plotting to actually publish and make monies from this, I should probably check in for the guest authors. The npcs who've been significant (and still alive) are below, and I am plotting wringing them through the editing process along with my own npcs. If you do not want this to happen, please say so.

JT Jag - little sire
random paul - julian
hihi - adelaide
PLC - knoxie
ark - travis
hexen - bricellus
xun - chanti
waci - katarina, wolfgang, salmari

Same thing goes for new fanfic, as well. Im happy to share the playground, but please let me know if you don't want your character in the final product.

Bricellus was created specifically for this thread so go for it :) I'd love to see what you did with him.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

LowellDND posted:

PLC - knoxie

http://youtu.be/MpyvJutkrTE go nuts.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I don't know much about GW (or publishing companies at all really) but how infeasible is it to just show them a manuscript and try for a job?, or would they just go "nah sorry btw I'll take all that stuff cause it's copyright and use it anyway"

You could easily scale it down so it's simply sector/segmentum wide, to appease their lust for keeping the status quo, couldn't you? *dodges hail of thrown projectiles and abuse from the thread*

I mean, I'd buy it regardless :shrug:

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

maxhush posted:

I don't know much about GW (or publishing companies at all really) but how infeasible is it to just show them a manuscript and try for a job?, or would they just go "nah sorry btw I'll take all that stuff cause it's copyright and use it anyway"

You could easily scale it down so it's simply sector/segmentum wide, to appease their lust for keeping the status quo, couldn't you? *dodges hail of thrown projectiles and abuse from the thread*

I mean, I'd buy it regardless :shrug:

GW is notorious for ruthlessly going after anyone who even thinks about using their IP. They throw out CnDs like nothing.

Is LowellDND better than 90% of their writers? Yes. Barring Abnett or ADB, all their writers kind of suck. I like Werner, but only when he's doing Chaos. I would hope they have someone read it before suing and actually hire him, but those of us that are 'hams know they don't actually care.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Put it this way: Games Workshop once tried to copyright the term "Space Marines" and sue people who were using that term in other media. They failed.

Later they launched a new fantasy setting, but made sure to name all their races unique, copyrightable names like Aelfs, Orruks, Steamhead Duradin (dwarves), and Sylvaneths (wood elves). For that matter, someone already bought up that they renamed the Imperial Guard to "Astra Militarum".

Games Workshop is kind of a bad company.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Should have gone for the Spehss Mahreen trademark imo.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

SoL - Tribes of the Batteries 2 - Eavesdropping

“The Omnissiah wishes it, so…” The boy’s Da gestured helplessly at the walls around them. He was speaking to his friends, and everyone had forgotten the boy was nearby. He was sitting on the deck behind them, poking a bit of wire into a particularly blobby lump of fungus while he waited for Da to finish his business.

Da’s friend Harold rubbed a hand through his hair, making it stick up more than usual. “They’re saying there will be a lot of new Batteries. The Lord-Sire commands it.” He spit a big glob of phlegm off to the side, which caught the boy’s interest. He made a note to practice spitting. It was a manly thing to do, and he was nearly a man and should know how to do it without dribbling it all off his chin.

“Not new batteries,” said Cahr, the tallest one of the three men. He was big and strong and helped pull torpedos along their greased and holy tracks when they needed moving. He was even stronger than Da. The boy broke the wire into pieces and stuck them into the fungal growth carefully, making it look like a xeno. He bit his tongue with concentration as the conversation continued above him. “The oldest batteries, moved and retrofitted.” Cahr was originally from another Tribe, a newer one, and he had married into the boy’s clan. His family had only been on the Beast - the Dragon - for fifty years. They still spoke of living on something called a ‘forge world,’ whatever that was.

The boy’s world was the Beast Dragon of Traal. He made a face at the xeno fungus, the thin bits of wire drooping a little. He imagined he could see the fungus growing in front of his eyes, splitting into two, then four, and then again and again. He was surrounded on all sides! The boy made his fingers into bolters and he was a mighty space marine blasting away at the xeno threat in the name of the Emperor of Man and the Omnissiah. Blam blam blam!

More, anyway,” said Harold. “Too many. We can’t split off that many new clans. And the constant racket of all this reconstruction is disturbing my wives.”

“Abrogates,” said Da, and the boy perked up a bit, drawn out of his fantasy for a moment. “I heard the elders talking. Abrogate Tribes.”

“Now I’ve heard everything,” Harold swore. “Fuckin’ Abrogates. They ain’t gonna marry into th’ Tribes. Do they even have sex?” A loud and laughter filled conversation followed, with a great many new terms and gestures that the boy tried to pay attention to, but it all sounded a bit.. gross. He must have moved, or something, because Da was suddenly looking at him.

“Boy! Let’s go. I’ll see you later,” he said to his friends, clapping them on the back and picking up the bag of spare parts he’d left on the deck while they’d been catching up. If you could pry it off the bulkhead or the deck in Between, it was a spare part, everyone knew that.

“‘k, Da,” he mumbled, mad at himself for being heard and interrupting such an interesting talk. Standing up he brushed off his pants (they were always dirty) and then stomped into the fungal blob, scattering his make believe xeno with one impressive step. Cahr chucked him in the chin with a fist, told him to be good, and Harold ruffled his hair, leaving greasy residue behind and making his hair stick up.

The boy ran after his Da, trying to smooth his hair back down. He didn’t like it when Harold did that. He wasn’t a baby anymore, he was seven, nearly eight, cycles old. His too-big boots slapped the deck as he hurried to catch up with Da’s long strides. “Da, I heard they’re making music with the ovines! Like the pipebeasts, but… different!”

“Oh really?” Da looked down, smiling at his only son.

“Yeah they took the horns off, and you can blow into them and it makes noise!” The boy made a face with his cheeks puffed out like he was blowing.

“They blow into the ovines?!”

“No! The horns!” The boy realized Da was joking with him, and laughed. “My turn on the Circuit is coming up.”

“I know, and I was going to talk to you about it. Take your sister Gwen with you this time.”

The boy made a face. “She’s only barely six, Da. Girls don’t go on the Circuit.”

“Gwen will,” said Da, unmoved by the boy’s idea of gender roles. “At least this time. She needs to figure out what it is she likes to do, and she’s always been interested in the ovines.” Well, if anything would make sure that Gwen wouldn’t want to spend another minute with an ovine, spending a week on the Circuit with them would do it for sure.

The boy hesitated, and Da added, “She needs to start learning the ways Between. You can show her. And I’m trusting you to keep her safe, boy.”

“Okay Da.” He dragged his toe along the deck a bit, outwardly still upset, but inwardly pleased at how Da was relying on him to pull his weight. He’d be an adult soon, for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 21
Current: 32,787

And, back to the present. Music is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxuEtL7gxoM&list=PLQ-a8U2yHibcr5py8Gyw4N6JueL-w6-cU&index=2

Last post (chronologically) was here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3657951&pagenumber=468#post452898613

The Winding Road

“Well, I certainly can’t take him with my shuttle. Can you have him boxed up and delivered? I don’t expect to need him till Golgotha.”
“Of course.” Lionus gestured, and a handful of people emerged from a nearby outcropping, tase prods at the ready. Charon’s angry shrieks faded into the distance.
“Do you need quarters, somewhere to rest?”
“Mm, no. I think my retinue and I would like to see the Eternity Gate. And perhaps beyond, if that is permitted.”
“Certainly. The starting point of the pilgrimage isn’t far from here, although there is no place for shuttles.”
“Didn’t expect there to be. Any preparations we need before we go?”
Lionus gave a smile that didn’t meet his eyes. “Just Faith.”
“Splendid.” You turned to look back at your staff, gestured them out of the shuttle. They seemed grateful for the chance to walk around, now that Charon was gone. You walked to the Lord-Sire’s support chair, stood behind it. “Shall we go?”
Frederik smiled wanly. “Yes. I’ve waited too long.”
“We’ll get you there, don’t worry.” He didn’t reply, just responded with a fit of coughing.

It was only a few hundred meters down the spire to merge with the crowds that were participating in the pilgrimage. The architecture had been built in such a way that the landing platform above was near totally quiet, invisible, and the sound of the crowds broke upon you like the waves. You had to take a step back as it hit you, as did your companions. So many people.

For all the inertia of Sol, the trillions of pilgrims slowly orbiting ever closer through the centuries, billions still landed, still walked the Holy Road. It was kilometers wide, and still packed beyond all reasoning. The crowds couldn’t walk of their own accord, simply being pushed like a river in its bed. If you had gotten this far, wealth didn’t matter, status didn’t matter. You joined the crowds, and it was impossible to leave.

Small eddies - towns, cities even - had established themselves here in there, rocks that the rivers passed around and over. They were where objects were abandoned, traded, sold. Shuttles flew to their peaks in a steady line, handing off the megatons of food and water that were needed to keep the pilgrimage alive. Some of the small cities had been built around ancient statues and shrines, whose features had long since rubbed away. Others had simply emerged spontaneously.

Tens of thousands of people died in this river every day - tens of thousands of people were born. It was held to be a great honor to be do either, and pilgrims made their schedule around if if they could. Di Musio likely held similar plans, although his hopes would be to make it to the Eternity Gate, at the end of the pilgrimage. You took a breath, looked at your retinue, and dived in.