Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
W is the inevitable betrayal of the machine spirits in your smart phone as they succumb to chaos.

Changing vote from W to 2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

I had chills reading that.

Thank you! I like the idea of having a tense patrol where nothing happens :D

For convenience sake:

1 x x x x x
A x x x x x
B x

(Outrails vote change to 1A noted)

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 30, 2014

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
1A

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
1 and A

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Omn1ssiAh, accept this humble disciple for he is eager to serve.
To him reveal the mysteries, that he may maintain thy holy machines.
To him give the disciplines, that he safeguards himself from malicius code.
To him give the fire, that he may hunt the heretek.
In your name. <do the mark of the cog>

1st GIS result for omnissiah

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
http://www.blacklibrary.com/Getting-Started/FAQ-Working-For-Black-Library.html

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
1A.
We can't afford to get ambushed from behind and a minion is always useful. Perhaps one day he can lead our Skiitari forces.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
1, A

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Oh, and for those who don't know: Making the sign of the aquila means crossing your hands on your chest and linking your thumbs, so you have what looks like a 2 headed eagle with the thumbs as the heads and your fingers as the wings. Making the cogsign means partially curling your fingers on each hand then inserting one into the other like cog teeth, also across your chest. I have always liked that both are a real thing we can do with our hands.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
1A sounds like fun.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

HiHo ChiRho posted:

1A. How hard can it be to forge someone's credentials in a society where the population sliders go into many-lots?

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
2B

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Innnnnteresting. I don't usually do Deathwatch, but I bet I could come up with something.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

LowellDND are you sure you're not secretly Dan Abnett ?

Superlative writing, I could see everything so clearly, particularly the inside of the cavern. I have some agoraphobic tendencies thinking about stuff that big and this writing definitely hit me. So awesome

1A

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

You’ve found out my secret! Dan is actually a goon :D

Really though, I’m unpublished. Been doing fanfiction (wheel of time, xcom, war40k) for fifteen or so years. I was looking at submitting something to Baen, but my pet project is still unfinished. Think I will submit to the BL though, might be nice to get in the door that way.

It looks like this vote is pretty well determined, so on with the show!

To the left to the left

This place was still unsecured, you should check your flanks. Nodding to yourself, you ordered the convoy North, where the sound was coming from. You considered leaving a rear guard to watch the chambers behind you, but you really didn’t have the personnel for it. Leaving a vehicle here would just be a vehicle that died alone. Instead, you simply moved one of the Centaurs to the rear, and had them point their machine gun to the South.

Just in case.

After a period of time, you noticed that the walls began transitioning into worked materials, poured concrete and steel. It looked like this section had been widened from the base tunnels, and possibly reinforced. From time to time, you could see sigils on the walls, written ten meters high. Reservoir 151. Chamber 6. Some of them were nearly worn away - in some case, you could only see them by their absence.

After passing Chamber 12, you declared a resting point. The convoy was circled up, guns outbound, and you put everyone on alternating food/sleep/watch positions. You didn’t have a lot of food, although you expected there was water to be found somewhere down here. As a rule though, you were willing to say you could stay down here another 96 hours, and that was with the troops entering the first stages of hunger.

To test your personal theories, you made a show of communing with the Machine-Spirits, making sure all the vehicles were up to speed. Matthais watched you hungrily, memorizing everything you did, even if he didn’t know the purpose to it. That served an additional motive, as well - checking the vehicles was simply good sense, and having someone who knew the rudimentaries would allow you to do other tasks.

The darkness had the weight of mountains, with the vehicle lights unable to see walls in wide arcs. You were fairly sure only Fluors and Megabite kept some of the troops sane down here. Sometimes, when the weight was particularly strong, you thought they might be keeping you sane as well. Megabite moved from person to person, nuzzling her nose, while Fluors leapt here and there, disdainful of it all.

After a few hours, everyone having gotten their uneasy cat-naps in the oppressive blackness, gotten a bite of food and splash of water, you gave the order to press forward. It sometimes felt like you were in a purgatory here, and that the surface had been a dream. That your entire life had just been driving through this darkness, and anything prior had been fantasy. That was crazy, wasn’t it?

You thought so. The decreasing fuel dials suggested it was, anyway.

The darkness felt … weird … up ahead. You slowed your vehicles, your main lights pushing helplessly at the dark that had fallen like a curtain. In a wide arc, you couldn’t see the walls anymore. Only the barest shades of walls could be seen in the distance, far behind you. You felt uneasy, that a vast space had opened before you.

You ordered the dismounts cautiously forward. They did so tentatively, little half steps, the vehicle lights highlighting them into strange figments and contrasts. Their rifles swung uneasily from one point to another, looking for something to shoot. Something real, something accessible, something that could be understood.

One soldier vanished. He didn’t scream.

The convoy erupted into a babble, their fear only barely restrained. Your voice cut through it, strident and demanding. Demanding obedience. You dismounted your vehicle, walking forward, showing the unafraid Tech-Priest. The dismounts backed up, behind you, letting you take point. Some terrors could not be borne by mortals - only those involved with the Mysteries should be confronted with them.

Carefully, carefully… you went to where the soldier had vanished. It was a cliff edge, sudden and vast, and your mind quailed at the size of what was before you. Almost unwillingly, you imagined what had happened. A sudden tearing of the earth, cubic kilometers of water falling into the depths with a horrific roar. You motioned a vehicle closer, but even its lights couldn’t see the bottom.

How deep was this chasm, that a lake could fall in without a trace?

Even as the emotional part of you was trembling at the scale of this place, this nightmare of superlatives, the analytical part was running numbers. Shifting the light methodically, you examine the gap, looking for the other side. It took some time, but in the distance, you could see a ledge that had connected to this position. It even had the concrete road, acting as if nothing had happened.

If your vehicles ran at a certain speed, and the gap was so wide, and the drop off so high… yes, it was possible. The laity would think that the smaller vehicles would make it and larger vehicles would not, but you knew for a fact that everything fell at the same rate.

Quickly, you adjusted for local gravity norms. … yes, the math still worked.

Speaking forcefully into the radio, you ordered the dismounts into the vehicles. “Soldiers… loyal servants of the God-Emperor… I ask you to have faith in the Omnissiah, and his weapon the Tech-Priests. We are going to leap across this chasm, on the wings of faith. We will safely land on the other side. Drivers, you must hit 88 kilometers per hour before you leave the ledge. Have faith.”

Leadership by example. You wheeled the Chimera back a few hundred meters, where the math said you would need for the acceleration. The other crew members looked at you anxiously, except Matthais. His eyes were calm, completely accepting of what you had said. You looked behind you. “Trust your immortal souls to me, soldiers. I speak for the Omnissiah in this.”

They were shaking, but nodded. You cared not, as long as they obeyed. And after the convoy saw the miracle of your physics equations, they would be bound to you like no other. A company of fanatics, doing your will in the dark places of the earth. Such was the will of the God-Emperor.

You hit the accelerator, ensuring you hit the requisite speed. Your vehicle left the ground like an angel seeking heaven, and the feel of weightlessness was almost comforting, a reminder of the Space Hulk that was your home. It was a timeless moment, and then you landed on the ledge violently and with great force. Your straps barely held you in, and you kept the pedal down, clearing the landing area for the vehicle that followed.

As you watched them hang in the air, crashing in a predictable arc near you, you looked at Matthais.

“Would you like to know how that happened?”
His eyes were expressionless, although you noted his breath, his pulse jumped. “Yes, Tech-Priest.”
You pulled out a notepad from the bottom of the cabin, begin sketching. “These are force calculations, under constraints of gravity…”

Your reasons for teaching him were two fold. Him having that knowledge without being inducted into the Mysteries meant you had a lifelong hold over him, making him a reliable ally. If he showed some talent, then he could be inducted later, which means you would have a Tech-Priest you could groom into your world view.

His focus on the equations were impressive - you don’t think he even noticed the last vehicle landing. After ensuring everyone had landed without casualties, you ordered the dismounts to start walking, and your convoy began once again. You could feel waves of respect, even awe, coming from the vehicles towards you. As it should be.

Thankfully, finally, the oppressive darkness was decreasing. You could see ambient light in the areas ahead, faint and natural looking - perhaps from gas lamps. The tunnel was much smaller here, perhaps for transit instead of water, and there was a large sign on the wall.

'Maintenance division, Subchamber 6'

Standing below it was a small girl-child.

She had shaved sides of her head, with spiky blond hair. She wore stolen military fatigues and gear that were too big for her. There were two pistols in the harness. She was thin, almost boyish. Her calculating eyes looked at you, your dozens of troops, your multiple vehicles with mounted guns, in a place where they couldn’t be.

“You don’t look like much.”

What do you do?
A. Charm. Try to find out who this girl is, and how she got down here. And what else is down here.
B. Intimidate. She’ll tell you everything if she knows what’s good for her.
C. Ignore. Bypass her, you need to keep pushing on.
D. Kidnap. You need a guide and she just volunteered.
E. Something else

Today's post brought to you by Metallica's Black Album

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 30, 2014

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about this game but it came highly recomended so A

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

RandomPauI posted:

I don't know anything about this game but it came highly recomended so A

Really? Thats pretty awesome :D

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

LowellDND posted:

Drivers, you must hit 88 kilometers per hour before you leave the ledge. Have faith.

We have to go back, Matthias. Back to the future!

A. Diplomacy is the only remotely good people skill Ohone has.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
A

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

LowellDND posted:

There were two pistols in the harness.
:neckbeard:

A

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Try A, B then D in that order.

Check our memory banks, children enjoy animals. Let her pet our mutated, glowing, surgically enhanced cat kitty.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

A

I wasn't expecting to see a back to the future reference here.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There Bias Two posted:

A

I wasn't expecting to see a back to the future reference here.

Once I wrote the jump, I really had to do it. :D

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
A

Also, loved the jump; added a nice bit of fun to the story.

Edit: Also, is anyone else getting the vibe that this Matthias fellow could be interested in more than just the tech? He "watched [us] hungrily, memorizing everything [we] did, even if he didn't know the purpose to it." Sounds like we could have something of an admirer.

I propose the following to test this theory: Brush our hand against his while pointing something out on the diagrams. See how he reacts. ;)

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 31, 2014

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

A with D as a backup

If she refuses and fights...well we need servitors to replace the ones we lost

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
E. Tell her that unless she answered your questions, you would smite her in the name of the Omnissiah. Two pistols? This is not sanctioned by Him, he only goes Sword + Pistol!

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Read through this entire CYOA, it's pretty great, I adore that you're actually making rolls based around the Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader rulebooks to shape how the player decisions work out.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

JT Jag posted:

Read through this entire CYOA, it's pretty great, I adore that you're actually making rolls based around the Dark Heresy/Rogue Trader rulebooks to shape how the player decisions work out.

Thank you! Theres been a few times when my hair was raising on the rolls :aaaaa: The pod racing explosions, or the theft from the Sequester. Those Fate points are a life saver.

Loel fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Dec 31, 2014

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007
:siren:XENOS SPOTTED:siren:

We should kiDnap her either by charm or by force but under armed supervision. Suddenly running into an innocent helpless girl in a dark and spooky cavern right after we lose one of our men is pretty suss.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

wiegieman posted:

We have to go back, Matthias. Back to the future!

A. Diplomacy is the only remotely good people skill Ohone has.

I was going to make that joke. :(

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
A
Sweet-talk the suddenly-appearing-not-suspicious-at-all little girl!

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Kill her, anyone here who isn't with us is a potential hostile or security threat.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Actually, throwing Flours at her isn't such a bad idea. Cats are an excellent judge of character.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A. But send Flours over to rub against her leg in annoying cat fashion.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

A. But send Flours over to rub against her leg in annoying cat fashion.

As if we can make a cat do anything.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

FireSight posted:

As if we can make a cat do anything.

With direct neural induction, what can't you do?

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

wiegieman posted:

With direct neural induction, what can't you do?

Make a cat do what you want.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

A, we now have our Tanya!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Looks like the vote is pretty clear, and I feel like writing before bed

Tanya

To be honest, you weren’t really sure how to proceed from here. When you were a child, you were under the strict discipline of the Cult of the Omnissiah, learning the Sacred Rites as a Cog. After that, you were mostly with people of your own age and rank, and you didn’t think your approach to servitors or cyber-mastiffs would work here. Since you had returned to the Ship, you had mostly been on a rampage of intimidation and violence, and you had the feeling that wasn’t the best approach in this case.

Thinking speculatively, you consider what you’ve seen of children, mostly in the Tribes. They liked cats, right? You remember they had seemed fascinated by Fluors, which was one reason you had selected her. Climbing out of your vehicle, you grab Fluors by the nap of the neck. Her body went limp, paws outstretched, as she looked at you sullenly. You leapt carefully down, still holding her, and walked up to the child.

“Little one, this is my cat, Fluors.”
She seemed less than impressed. “I’m as tall as you. Taller, even.”
You were at a loss, decided to wait.

It worked, the child reached out and grabbed Fluors.
“Eugh, why are there scales?”
“Where I come from, there are sometimes fires. We use a plant to heal the burns, and it leaves that mark.”
“She’s been burned? Poor thing.”

You waited a bit, let them cuddle for a time, and then decided her guard was sufficently down.
“Tell me about this place.”
“Oh, I’m Tanya Stelmakh, and this is Subchamber Six. We call ourselves the Subsixers.”
“Ourselves? How many of you are there?”
Her eyes went out of focus, then she said “Six thousand seven hundred and fifty four. Fosca just died, and Cora Baudet had just had twins.” Tanya looked at you. “Mother says we need to remember the names of the Ten Thousand, which I think is weird. We haven’t had ten thousand people here in ages, since before I was born.” Mother had a peculiar emphasis, like a name or a title, more than a parental name. You made a mental note to follow up there.
“What do you do down here?”
“Our duties include maintenance on the reservoir, and we read them every week. We haven’t been able to access it because of the Fissure though.”
“The Fissure?”
She gestured behind you. “That. It wasn’t always there.”
“How long have you been down here?”
“I’m not sure. Mother says we just have to be ready for when TheForemanRescuesUs.” She said the phrase all in a rush, like something memorized, or ritualized.

You gesture to her gear. “That’s a lot of nice things if you’ve been here longer than anyone can remember.”
Tanya slipped into a grin. “I explore things. The city is boring, so I climb and find all the tunnels. I found one with all of these, and I’ve been practicing.”
“Is that what you were doing here? Exploring?”
“Oh no, everyone knows about this spot. New people sometimes come across the gap sometimes. I like to wait and see if anyone will. The last people arrived during my parents’ time, and you are the first I’ve seen.”
“What happens to them?”
She shrugs. “They stay, mostly. Gerrold and Kolya and Damiana stayed, everyone was really excited to see them.”

What do you do?
A. Obviously, she is a xeno liar. Slay her and all with her.
B. Regardless of whether she is a xeno, you should find out about Mother. She’s either a xeno leader, and must be killed, or a human leader, and must be questioned.
C. Keep a low profile. Ask Tanya to show you the tunnels without showing you the Subsixers. You don’t know what the locals will think of you.
D. You need more information. Ask her about….
E. Something Else