Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Sogol posted:

Alas poor Yorick...

I scavenged him from a decaying Guardsman: Horatio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Now I want to watch Rosencratz and Guildenstern are dead...

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

Now I want to watch Rosencratz and Guildenstern are dead...

Go right ahead. They're over there: last two on the right. Not much to see, though.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Make a really slow skull and name it Godot.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

LowellDND posted:

Headcanon accepted.

Headcanon.
Headcanon.
HEADcanon.

I would have words.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Head Cannon.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Give one a SKULGUN, call it Gunter.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

We can only call it Headcanon if we can fit it with a Handcanon

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A
B x x x x x, x x
C
CD x
BCD x x x x x, x
D x x x x
E

I have my outline for this post except for the ending. Should have it in the next few hours.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Short post is short

As always, it came down to Dana Skully to be your primary investigator. She floated closer to the strange threading, her microengines bringing her to the base of the platform. The webbing was thicker there, and you could see strange colors flaring along them, seeming to have a strange pulse. Dana reached out, attempted to gather a sample.

The material was unexpectedly sticky. Dana strained against it, engines whirring, even as the material flickered with faster colors, purples and reds right on the edge of the human spectrum. The darkness seemed to grow thicker, then, and your squad uneasily touched their triggers. And then she was free, floating downwards with kilograms of the gossamer wrapped around her calcium form.

Bringing it down to you, you immediately began removing the substance from her. You were unsure of its toxicity, so used your gloves, and then started the ritual examinations. Matthais, meanwhile, was checking the skull itself for functionality. His training was coming along nicely, and you thought he might be ready for more complex cases soon.

The stickiness of the webbing reminded you of spiders in some ways, although it was a weaker stuff then you had expected. If it was a spider, it would either have to be millions of little ones - which you hadn’t observed - or a couple big ones. However, a couple big ones wouldn’t be fed by a webbing that couldn’t even hold a servo-skull, which left you with more questions than when you started.

However, it did appear to be an organic material of some kind, even cellular. You didn’t have the best tools on hand, but a basic survey showed such a thing. One odd trait you did notice was that it was electrically excitable. That might explain the colors you saw earlier. Perhaps the electricity was the main mechanism of predation? If it didn’t rely on the stickiness, perhaps it was some sort of shock-spider.

After finishing the examination of Dana’s components, you sent her back up again, this time to speak with your voice. You couldn’t hear the transmission as it left her, but the replies, if any, would come back strong. Radio worked fine down here, even if it was only a distance of two hundred meters. Once she arrived near the platform, you sent up your voice.

“Hello? I am Tech-Priest Ohone. Can anyone hear me?”
”Hello… Tech Priest…”
The voice that came back was strange, metallic sounding. Almost tinny. At least it meant this wasn’t something animal - people could be negotiated with, after all. Perhaps you were almost out.
“Who are you?”
”I am here… Tech Priest…”
You pursed your lips. “Can you understand what I am saying?”
”You are Ohone”
As you are speaking, you can see the webbing light up with colored tracers.
“Yes. Are you a Machine Spirit? Or one of the explorers?”
”I am … one of the explorers.”
Curiouser and curiouser.
“How have you lived so long? Why couldn’t you return? Why didn’t you go to the surface?”
”Couldn’t return… couldn’t go to the surface… Machine-Spirits hear me…”
“Are you a Tech-Priest?”
”Yes… come here…”
Well, that would speed things up a bit.
You spoke binary, but all that came back was silence. Odd.

-

Well, theres really no helping it. This one is a choice of “How do you climb the elevator?” Normally I’d like to skip to the next scene, but this does actually have some game results.

What do you do?
A. Ascend fast. Have Dana install a dozen ropes and climb all at once.
B. Ascend safe. Use the Riding-Servitor to continue as normal. Its probably not a trap.
C. Infiltrate and destroy. Send Tanya with a bushel of grenades to clear the platform, then follow.
D. Split options. Some climb, some fire grenades and suppressive fire. Its probably a trap.
E. Something Else

Loel fucked around with this message at 23:56 on May 16, 2016

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

E

Keep Exploring with Dana until we can determine "TRAP Y/N?" more conclusively

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

jng2058 posted:

E

This. Dude has been there for (hundreds?) years. He can wait a bit.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

jng2058 posted:

E

This

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

jng2058 posted:

E

agreed

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
I'm pretty sure it's a trap.

Is the "webbing" attached to the walls, or just the platform?

Frankly, I'd be happier climbing past and not stepping into the Heresator platform if that's the case. And, maybe we can view it from above. I'm guessing that all the people who climbed past are stuck together there like mother.

Say, does our skull have some sort of auspex? Can we see what it sees?

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

jng2058 posted:

E

It seems to be almost echoing the phrases we use. I don't trust it. This.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
E. Burn it with fire.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

E. Burn it with fire.

+1 LCT E

If it won't speak back in binary then it is no tech priest. The bundles are obviously neural tissue of sorts. Regardless it is a foul work of Xeno or Chaos and must be burned. Cleanse the path with righteous fire and faith.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D The Xeno filth stands in our way. Destroy it.

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.

Arkanomen posted:

If it won't speak back in binary then it is no tech priest. The bundles are obviously neural tissue of sorts. Regardless it is a foul work of Xeno or Chaos and must be burned. Cleanse the path with righteous fire and faith.

Ooh, good catch! Nerve cells make sense, as they are electrically excitable and (obviously) cellular. Wonder whose neurons they are, though...?

I vote E, examine further to see if it's a trap as well.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

D/E: It is obviously a trap, and we should burn it with fire and other things to kill it as we ascend.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012
Things are hosed UP down here.

jng2058 posted:

E

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Arkanomen posted:

+1 LCT E

This is what happens to those who oppose Mother. They become part of a greater Brain elsewhere in the area.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Zap the webbing with a very strong alternating current We use its web against it

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Colonel Wood posted:

Zap the webbing with a very strong alternating current We use its web against it

you want to....power it up?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

jng2058 posted:

E

This.

Keep talking to the thing until we can deduce whether it can pass a Turning test.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Outrail posted:

This.

Keep talking to the thing until we can deduce whether it can pass a Turning test.

E and this. Assuming the Turing Test is still a rite that is passed down in the Mechanicus, by one name or another.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
C - Kill it with fire

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Outrail posted:

This.

I'm going with Voight-Kampff, personally.

Fake edit: Already voted, this is just a comment.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Outrail posted:

This.

I support this on the condition we get the servitors in place to kill it with fire (incendiary grenades) while talking to it.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
D

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I think we can be pretty sure this is a trap guys. That's generally what disabling webbing from an unknown source is for.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I support this on the condition we get the servitors in place to kill it with fire (incendiary grenades) while talking to it.

+1

Its likely a trap, that's why we're staying down here until we can figure out the nature of the trap.

And then we can acquire the trap, weaponize and attach it to a servoskull.

Tremynci
Jun 16, 2012

Outrail posted:

+1

Its likely a trap, that's why we're staying down here until we can figure out the nature of the trap.

And then we can acquire the trap, weaponize and attach it to a servoskull.

Both these goons talk sense. I'm on the talk to the thing, then kill it with fire/subvert it for our own skull-mounted purposes :bandwagon:

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Don't we have the information that a Tech Priest was previously disassembled for parts to keep things running?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Can you make a semi-sentient elevator platform into a servitor?

I'm asking for a friend.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Disassemble it some more. I'm sure it can power an elevator on our ship with minimal acceptable side-effects.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Well it looks like the Tech Priest has maintained a sense of identity, distributed across some sort of organic/electro fibre optic network. Who knows how crazy this has made it? Given the organic material it seems like some sort of symbiotic relationship with silk worms or something might be involved. How portable is it? What is the smallest structure that would allow it to maintain whatever shreds of sanity might remain and regenerate? How would we use a sentient Tech Priest housed inside of some sort of symbiotic neural web that can grow, change and adapt? How do we figure this out without having to nuke it into oblivion or going insane ourselves from some attempt it may make to integrate us?

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Lick the web

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

There Bias Two posted:

It seems to be almost echoing the phrases we use. I don't trust it. This.

It doesn't use any word or homonyms we don't use first. It is absolutely a trap, a bit like the one the Predator pulls in Predator with recording the voices of everyone. We should still figure out what kind of trap.