Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

mepstein73 posted:

Sounds like someone's been playing Warhammer 40,000 on the job. Haha.

Funnily enough, it has started as that scene in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Then I added contour maps, and little figures, and then I realized I was running a 40k game in a Dark Heresy game :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
A, and talk to the magos

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tech priests x x
Tech/magos x x x x
Nobs
Mercs x
Nobs/Mercs x
Officers
Officer/Gen

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
astropaths/psykers

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Tentaive vote for Officers/General

Talking to the psykers would be seen as beneath us right?

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Volmarias posted:

A, and talk to the magos

Yeah, Tech time! Techpriests + magos. Maybe we can get some tips on pimping our mechadendrites or something.

Fake edit: What are the outstanding requests for our ship? We got the food/water processing plant, right? So it's just making cash from the invasion? Or do we still need to steal a factory or something like that?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arcturas posted:

Fake edit: What are the outstanding requests for our ship? We got the food/water processing plant, right? So it's just making cash from the invasion? Or do we still need to steal a factory or something like that?

There is one minor piece you need left, which you've identified as being in a water truck convoy. The big plant you found wasn't in mint condition, sadly. So there is a future heist in the cards, from your fellow guardsmen.

Beyond that, you have 3 big objectives:

Make lots of money through scams and graft (this can include selling berthing tickets to the nobility)
Get maximum reputation and minimal danger (probably through stealing credit)
Going to Hive Gamma and finding the Magos' project

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
The Psykers I kind of want to see if Mother is screwing things up for them.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
D, the general They're the reason we are all ultimately here, after all.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Also, psykers not being able to get a read on poo poo? Yeah it's Tyrannids. This world is doomed.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
If a hive fleet shows up, we're hosed regardless. Hopefully that won't happen.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
A timed buggy race mission across the planet to get back to the space elevator before the Beast drops it and fucks off.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

paragon1 posted:

Also, psykers not being able to get a read on poo poo? Yeah it's Tyrannids. This world is doomed.

Mother started adding bodies to herself. Lot of sanctioned psykers running around attached to companies

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Can we run Mother into the Tyranids or something? Would that eliminate at least one of those threats or would we risk creating an entirely new threat?

The priorities we show here will be noticed. Pay our respects to the Magos before speaking to the Nobles. These are local nobles, right? They might be potential customers, but make sure we don't seem too eager. They should know their place when addressing a member of our Family.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Go talk to the Tech-priests and the Magos, and then the General, since he;s the reason we're here after all.

Also, if Quint is the Lord-General, the Magos in question just might be Ram. That might be a good way to get in with the general.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Find someone who looks incredibly tired with the 40k equivalent of a clipboard hovering near the General. This is assuredly the General's assistant. Make sure the General would actually like to meet us before introducing ourselves - dealing with people like the General is really more the role of the Lord Sire; but perhaps our breakthrough will earn us some personal thanks.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I have ninety nine problems, but faulty comms isn't one - Quint Intermission!

Because the fragging comms were down.

General Militant Quint Zetkin was having a long day. A hundred and fifty klicks of ruined wasteland once home to industry and imperial workers now sprawled across theater he was trying to control, and surveys couldn't really make heads and tails of it all. The enemy could be waiting underneath the rusting awnings of factorum parks, or they could be completely absent, preparing to strike from another angle. Perhaps one of the upstart nobles, or one of the disloyal generals, could be convinced to take in a force.

Or perhaps.. He caught a brief sight of Ohone, the liaison tech-priest for the family holding the linchpin of his entire logistical infrastructure, the Beast. That one was good, very good, completing a dangerous breakout and helping the war effort - if she died, she would be a great asset wasted in an unfortunate misadventure (but one proving that there was indeed danger in the industrial badlands), and if nothing happened, well, nothing was lost.

Unbidden, another memory rose in his head. That of one of the wheedling nobles, Katallus Onslaw, showing him a fair hunting dog bought at price from the markets downland. The creature had razor sharp fangs, bulged with muscles, like a swollen plant-pod, and a fair bit of insanity gleamed in its eyes. He lookeded at Onslaw, now carousing with the other nobles in their decadent lean-to full of drink and gossip. The poo poo he had to put up with just to pursue war..

As it was, he tried to put both dog, noble and war out of his mind, and focused on the surveillance missions ahead. Oh, to have some proper Aran or Catachan scouts, and not this morass of hivers, penal scum and Emperor knows what else!

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Quick, someone start a CYOA about an Aran or Catachan scout.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slaan posted:

You poor man. Not even the craziest Cult of Chaos will torture people by making them run. What horrendous crimes against humanity did you commit to have such a terrible punishment heaped upon you? :ohdear:

You were right :negative: Ran two blocks and had the worst asthma attack of my loving life. Never get disabled, its terrible.

Dunno if Ill have a post tonite, but I'm working on the metaplot for the next few months. Once I have that, posts should come easy.

Green Intern posted:

Quick, someone start a CYOA about an Aran or Catachan scout.

:allears: The Catachan army is about 200 klicks to the Northeast. They are trying to flank the city. (and Ill officially reveal their presence next post, with the Death Korps of Krieg to the west of you)

Loel fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Jan 26, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

double post turned into a vote post:

Tech priests x x
Tech/magos x x x x x, x
magos/nobles x
Nobs
Mercs x
Nobs/Mercs x
Officers
Officer/Gen x x
Astropath/Pyskers x x

Ill see what I can cook up.

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jan 26, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

LowellDND posted:

Dunno if Ill have a post tonite, but I'm working on the metaplot for the next few months. Once I have that, posts should come easy.

:allears: The Catachan army is about 200 klicks to the Northeast. They are trying to flank the city. (and Ill officially reveal their presence next post, with the Death Korps of Krieg to the west of you)

Metaplot is always good, helps you plan out what you're going to write and all that.

Also, Catachans and the Death Korps, in addition to General Militant Quint leading the Nallani? I assume there'll also be some Cadians around since they're always in the thick of things whenever the Imperial Guard is out in force.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

GhostStalker posted:

Metaplot is always good, helps you plan out what you're going to write and all that.

Also, Catachans and the Death Korps, in addition to General Militant Quint leading the Nallani? I assume there'll also be some Cadians around since they're always in the thick of things whenever the Imperial Guard is out in force.

More technically, to the left and right of Quint. He has about a million Nallani on a wide front in the southeast. On his left flank is the Death Korps, overlooking the Wastelands that separate Gamma and Bravo. On his right flank, we have the Catachans. Think of them as WW2 fronts - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Army_group He doesn't order them around, but he does coordinate with their generals on how to push across the industrial zones.

I'll prolly have Cadians either at Gamma or in the 2nd wave once the Nallani reach Bravo. Not sure yet.

Post is coming along nicely, so we might have something tonite after all.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Hear that? That’s the sound a metaplot!

Dance with the one that brought you

When in doubt, pay respects to your own. Ignoring the hostility of the nobles, and the strange unreadable expressions of the psykers, you made your way to the Tech-Priests - the Cult of the Omnissiah. You could feel the atmospherics change as you made your way to them, a faint buzzing in the air, a metallic whine. Tasting the air curiously, you recognized the tendency of the ozone amidst the comforting smell of oil. A privacy field, then. An impressive bit of archaeotech, in these times.

The Tech-Priests stirred somewhat as you broke through the barrier. It wasn’t a complicated piece of work, requiring a chirp of binary, but would keep out the merely human. You, of course, looked mostly human - bearing some small augmentation, but nothing like the mechadendrites that spread from them like so many tendrils. Glancing about them, you easily recognized their quality; they were not amateurs by any means. Of course, if they were at headquarters, they’d have to be.

At the center, a hulking monster of a machine. Nearly four times your height, the size of a small tank, the Magos Sectutor who was responsible for the works of the Mechanicus on this Front of the war. Strangely, he had kept some scrap of hair, ultraviolet in color. Some tendency of his human days, a bit of nostalgia perhaps. Glancing at his tags that were suspended in the air in the augmented reality where Tech-Priests spent most of their time, you could see him listed as Magos Millicent.

A quick skim of the binary, records and biographical information. Everyone in this sonic chamber were heroes all, and not a few legends. By comparison, you were only starting on your own Path of Knowledge - although your path of Glory had come along rather further than some of them, you were pleased to say. You could feel their gaze weighing you, and you knew what they would see. A short deep-blue voidborn, wearing the midnight that signified you as a noble.

And the sigil of your regiment - a fluorescent cat, with mechadendrites rising from its shoulders. It was only a mistake of the light to suggest that it looked like your first cat, rescued from the depths, lost to the efforts of the Great Enemy. Surely, that was just a coincidence. A baseless accusation of organic nostalgia.

You presented the sign of the Cog to your Elders here, and they responded. For all your efforts, you were outranked here, and it would be best to remember your place. Without a hierarchy, without those to serve and those to obey, the Imperium would fall, and Humanity shortly after. A suggestion of anything else was simply madness. You chirped binary, then, sending your respects to all present.

After that, they mostly ignored you for a brief while. You might be something in the world of nobility, but that didn’t mean much compared to tech, and you knew it. The Tech-Priests were discussing some idiosyncrasy of tech, something you couldn’t quite follow. Apparently the comms were down, even beyond the buzzing that the telepaths had reported. That was ominous. You began reviewing different back up plans, just in case. A coordinated assault of the comms was usually prelude to something worse.

It was a good thing it was a short drive to the space elevator, and you were a VIP there.

Eventually, Magos Millicent turned to you, his binary vibrant, commanding.
<Tech-Priest Ohone, a pleasure. You are come from the Beast?>
<Yes, Magos. I am the Emissary from that fair ship>
He sent an image. <Does her Magos still live there?>
<Yes, Magos. They have taught me many things.>
<Good, good. I worked with them, oh, nearly a century ago. An archaeo dig, very interesting work.>

That was a surprise. Small universe, you supposed, and it made sense for the Magi to run into each other from time to time. You resolved to cultivate more of the Mechanicus, as well as continue the training of your own cadre. Your musings were interrupted by his nod.

<That was a good bit of work in the tunnels. Have you caught up with the local situation?> He laughed mechanically - you wondered if the Magos still possessed a sense of humor by now. Some Magi removed parts of their brain in their quest for knowledge, replaced them with cogitators. <It would be unfortunate if the Emissary for our logistics wasn’t aware of upcoming issues.>

You felt about for a trap in his tone. Was he implying you weren’t competent for your job? Perhaps replaceable, by some random in his retinue, or one of your nameless cousins? … No, it was genuine interest. He had obviously been keeping tabs on you, was aware of your work in forming the regiment and moving the refinery skywards. Aware of your coordination with Amacita to continue the war effort, at that.

<No, Magos. I am still getting my bearings.>

He sent a burst of binary - sensory data, maps, troop formations, aerial footage. A comprehensive package for someone just landed, and of officer rank.

Local situation:

Hive Bravo. Three Army Groups have been committed to the assault, split among Army Group South (Death Korps of Krieg), Army Group East (Catachan), and Army Group South East (Nallani). Each Army Group fields approximately one million troops, and has set up 100-200 kilometers from the outskirts of Hive Bravo.

Twelve more Army Groups are held in reserve for the taking of the hive actual. It is expected that the three Army Groups in the first wave will suffer 100% casualties in the approach, and it is their duty to hold the gate for those that follow. Permitted time to reach and cleanse the hive is one year standard.

Hive Alpha has been allocated similar troops, support, timeline, and deployment. Commander’s intent is to allow the relief of Alpha and Bravo in order to move all forces (and forces liberated from the Hives) to support the assault on Hive Gamma. Hive Gamma has approximately ten Army Groups laying siege, with another fifty in reserve.

The intent is to complete liberation of the planet within five years standard, allowing for the war effort to continue the Vesalius Crusade of the Sarina Sector. This planet is vital to the war effort, and the xenos must not be permitted to continue their delays of the Holy efforts of the Imperium.

Initial reports show that the xeno favor underground work, and have thus far avoided vulnerability to close air support or artillery barrages. This has also made classifying their capabilities and disposition difficult, but probing attacks have supported the initial hypothesis that casualties will be very high.

You nodded to yourself. That made sense. Given the desperation of the local situation, you were willing to bet you could make the Family a tremendous amount of money, and you resolved to find the local hive nobles as fast as possible. They would probably offer their weight in star opals for a ticket off this rock.

First things first though. You bowed to Magos Millicent, said <Thank you Magos. That helps tremendously, I believe I know what the Family needs to do next. If you will excuse me?>
The Magos waved dismissively, turning to the technical problem which was so fascinating the table, and you left the sonic chamber.

Mentally, you went over the target in your head. Twenty purification trucks, operated by a second rate militia group. You had no idea how they had ended up here - probably some grafting deal somewhere along the line. All you knew was that they were barely worth the effort it cost to break down their organs for processing.

Captain Devries, their commander. A vacant, effeminate wastrel of an officer, all blue lips and greasy hair. You weren’t even sure if he knew what planet he was on, let alone there was a war on. Of the people you could steal from, he was the easiest mark - and it would be easy for someone to believe he simply forgot the convoy in a swamp somewhere. He was currently attached to a penal battalion of some rabble or another, and you expected they would be dead within the month regardless.

Still… how to separate him from his vehicles?

A. Find his vice and supply it. Drugs, gambling, lechery, he has to have one.
B. Commando raid. Bring out your top team, leave his body in a ditch, and drive.
C. Politics. Work the system and get his unit sent to the front lines and proceed from there.
D. Frame him. He is or can be found guilty of something, and to the victor go the spoils.
E. Something Else

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
A - low risk, and why frame him for something when we can bait him into the real deal?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
A

Let's be smart about this. Also when are we going to get to read your submission for that contest?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Deadmeat5150 posted:

Let's be smart about this. Also when are we going to get to read your submission for that contest?

Im unsure if I can post it while its in review. So, soon (tm)

Edit: Submissions to the contest end tomorrow.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Definitely A. We want those trucks unused so we can requisition them, scrap them, count them as a war loss and then charge the Administratum for vehicles lost in the valiant war effort.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A guy like that would surely be under investigation by some Commissar or other authority. So lets make sure that they find evidence of some sort of heresy. It should be easy enough to dig up some xenos bits from a grave site or something to stash in his room.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Still… how to separate him from his vehicles?
D. Frame him. He is or can be found guilty of something, and to the victor go the spoils.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Slaan posted:

A guy like that would surely be under investigation by some Commissar or other authority. So lets make sure that they find evidence of some sort of heresy. It should be easy enough to dig up some xenos bits from a grave site or something to stash in his room.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
A and D sound easy enough to combine.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

A.

I was going to go politics, but meh, why burn favors for this and the less the people know the better.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Waci posted:

A and D sound easy enough to combine.

Give him one of the drugs that brings out psychic powers, then execute him as an unsanctioned witch.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A. Bribery, for now the easy way is the best way.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

VanSandman posted:

Definitely A. We want those trucks unused so we can requisition them, scrap them, count them as a war loss and then charge the Administratum for vehicles lost in the valiant war effort.

This. Why choose any other plan that will potentially leave us out of pocket?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
It is by will alone that we set our mind in motion. If Devries' name is Piter, go for A+D. Lechery won't work, but drugs will. After all, his thoughts may acquire speed, but his lips acquire stains, and the stains become a warning.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I can't believe I missed that.

ADminister to his craving, then sell him out.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.

Slaan posted:

A vote for Plan Slaan.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
A and D. Use our investigative tech skills to ruin his poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

A and D. Use our investigative tech skills to ruin his poo poo.

voting for this