Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
c

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
E - All of the above.

Also, we should try to capture Devries alive. There's this thing I really want to show him, I'm not sure whether he has seenit before. It's called full processing.

Waci fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Jan 31, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A
B
C x
D x x x
E x
B/D x

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

C let's full process that fucker :black101:

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
At this point it should be a given that we full process just about anyone who attracts our personal attention.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

D When the option to vent something into space pops up I always have to take it.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

D IS all of the above, right? That's what I want.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

A Darker Porpoise posted:

D When the option to vent something into space pops up I always have to take it.
Eh, I'm only voting for D to be really, really thorough. He's going to be taken in the ambush. Ideally alive, maybe dead. I don't really intend to vent him, but I also don't intend for him to get away, so it'll be programmed so that we can do it in the worst case.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
When we do gloat, unfold our mechadendrites menacingly in full view of him. I want him to think about the game he tried to play, and how he lost the moment you saw he had what you needed. Tell him he could have lived had there been the slightest hint of morality in him. Tell him you have seen the hell he will visit soon with your own eyes, and the thought of the agony his soul will shortly undergo will cheer you up on the rare occasion things do not go 100% your way. Tell him his insignificant criminal empire is being dismantled as you speak, increasing the efficiency of the Imperial Guard operations on the planet by a whole hundredth of a percentage point. Then explain in full detail as you process him exactly how you hosed him, preserving his head and senses as much as possible so he can watch his processing with his own eyes. Then laugh and laugh, and thank him for his generous donation of the trucks to the Beast of Traal.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Nah, this clown isn't worth our time. See if we can save the Magos the trouble of a fight by calling the Tribes to show up, and do what we can to smooth things along for them by incapacitating Devries and his retinue somehow. We'll full-process them of course but we have better things to do than gloat to this idiot.

Pretending to be Amacita seems to have worked out but I'd still have rather we picked some random other family member and not someone who can still be useful to us. This could have gone more poorly than it really has.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger

VanSandman posted:

When we do gloat, unfold our mechadendrites menacingly in full view of him. I want him to think about the game he tried to play, and how he lost the moment you saw he had what you needed. Tell him he could have lived had there been the slightest hint of morality in him. Tell him you have seen the hell he will visit soon with your own eyes, and the thought of the agony his soul will shortly undergo will cheer you up on the rare occasion things do not go 100% your way. Tell him his insignificant criminal empire is being dismantled as you speak, increasing the efficiency of the Imperial Guard operations on the planet by a whole hundredth of a percentage point. Then explain in full detail as you process him exactly how you hosed him, preserving his head and senses as much as possible so he can watch his processing with his own eyes. Then laugh and laugh, and thank him for his generous donation of the trucks to the Beast of Traal.

I know. We need a good monologue at some point here. Timing is everything though. Poorly timed monologues never turn out well. He already almost got us monologuing at the wrong moment once.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
You know would be great? Not full processing him. That mindwipes him. No make him a security sentry servitor, the kind that stand in our quarters with a camera where an eye should be and is basically an orgsnic(ish) alarm system. In order to be most effective, this brand of servitor most have awareness beyond that of most other types. So a mindwipe can't be done. Also you want to brain of someone fairly intelligent.

So imagine Devries getting to the Beast and thinking he's won. Only to have his entire empire seized, his power structure crumble (kill the abhumans) and to have himself trapped inside his own mind watching the woman who obliterated everything he held special for as long as his meat holds out. It's the sort of vicious thinking that Inquisitors look for in their acolytes. The ones they are thinking of promoting, anyway.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I like this but I think D should be the way to go. There's no need for anyone else on the ship to know we were pretending to be Amacita and having Devries die knowing that he still knows nothing seems like a better way to finish him than to reveal everything to him.

Once Devries is out of the picture, we should make sure we send someone to supply whatever unit he was incharge of supplying. It's all about the bottom line!

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I Declare that you lot 'get' 40k, good job! :awesomelon:

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme
Destroy him and his stupid hair.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

VanSandman posted:

All of the above, with emphasis on this.

And offer that Kroot a job, those guys are good problem solvers.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
D

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
the only thing that worries me is that if he got the full dossier on Amacita, that means he probably has contacts on the Beast, so we should definitely get people who are super loyal to us.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

the only thing that worries me is that if he got the full dossier on Amacita, that means he probably has contacts on the Beast, so we should definitely get people who are super loyal to us.

D. Just use the tribes; they're as loyal as can be.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Kegslayer posted:

I like this but I think D should be the way to go. There's no need for anyone else on the ship to know we were pretending to be Amacita and having Devries die knowing that he still knows nothing seems like a better way to finish him than to reveal everything to him.

Once Devries is out of the picture, we should make sure we send someone to supply whatever unit he was incharge of supplying. It's all about the bottom line!
That happens after D.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

Voting to interrogate him about where he got that dossier on Amacita before we kill him. Sounds like we have a chance to root out a spy.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Voting to interrogate him about where he got that dossier on Amacita before we kill him. Sounds like we have a chance to root out a spy.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

Yes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah actually that's why he's worth our time. We should take this spy poo poo seriously. More bodies for the full processor!

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
He's almost certainly been up to heretical genetics and drug stuff, besides regular graft and corruption, pull that out of him, send to Inquisitor, win Interrogator rank.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I wouldn't assume our victory a foregone conclusion. Let's slip word to as many friendly forces as possible that he's a rotten traitor egg, and preferably blow him up in transit when he's vulnerable.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Our victory is a foregone conclusion

Unsurprisingly, today’s post is written to Iron Maiden

Fear of the Dark

To be completely honest, you wished you had more time. It was only a dozen hours till first sun-down, and while a cargo side ambush only took a tenth of that time to prepare, you still felt the weight of time bearing down on you. Devries was a slippery little eel, and you were soon wrapping yourself in contingencies and back up plans.

You left Devries as quickly as you could, saying you had to get things prepared. Which was true, it just wasn't the preparations they were likely expecting. You hopped on a truck leaving the depot and tapped into the ether as you did. On the road, the occasional camera flickered on, changed orientation. Best to make sure you weren’t being followed.

As far as you could tell, you weren’t. Behind you, the Water Dogs were beginning to pack their gear. Not unusual in an IG base - units were always moving hither and yon. And it wasn’t like anyone was going to ask to see their orders. The person in charge of that sort of thing was in a drug soaked stupor, being tended to by the mercies of a Sister of Silence Quietude.

Still, it was good to be sure. You stopped off at your HQ, and privately told Matthias to keep an eye on them. A few more soldiers in the crowd wouldn’t be noticed, and the troops of the Tunnel Cats had no relation to Amacita, Quartermaster. You stationed a platoon of them on the road to the space elevator, split into fire teams all along the primary pathways. They would radio Matthais as they saw the Water Dogs pass, who would contact you.

By corollary, if they didn’t message, or your primary team watching the depot called in, you knew that Devries wasn’t planning to leave after all.

Getting all that in place took a couple hours, and you went aboard the space elevator with impatience eating at you. A private comm to Captain Astri, and a company of troops was being oriented to the cargo bay. You didn’t give her much an explanation, just ‘private information’, but she trusted your judgement. Even beyond that, the Grey Guards were well trained in obeying Family without asking too many questions.

You told them to stand ready for the first sun-down shipment, and they set up a watch to wait. A quick traverse to Between, and you were talking with the Elders and the High Technician. You told them you needed warriors familiar with the Rites of Cleansing, and nearly a hundred stepped forward. They began wrapping themselves in oxygen suits, magboots, shotguns and ammo belts. The incendiaries wouldn’t ignite without at atmosphere, but if the cargo bay didn’t have an atmosphere the problem would have resolved itself.

The cargomaster looked rather alarmed to see hundreds of troops approach her position, but your appearance soothed her. You told her the next shipment was Family business, and she and her crew should take a long dinner. They bowed, backing out of the cargo bay, and then it was just you. Taking a deep breath, you began your hack of the external doors. It had taken more time than you liked, but the preparations were almost done.

The hack itself went easy. The doors were meant to be opened, after all, and everyone in the cargo bay had their suits on. You sent a small override to not worry about people who weren’t, and told the Machine-Spirit to standby. It hummed to itself, waiting for the order, and was ready to release a company of IG into space. Finally, you wrapped the cargo bay with Tribe warriors, ringing the dock in an elevated position, painted masks on space suits.

And then it was just the waiting.

It had that unpleasant feel of something you couldn’t rush, but couldn’t delay either. Everyone was wired, like a small electric current running through their bodies. Anticipation of violence, an ambush on orders of the Family. There was little to distract from the upcoming mission - no games to play, no drinks to be had. Even conversations stuttered into silence.

The arrival of the sun-down cargo was almost a release. The twenty trucks you had been wanting for weeks, and the operating personnel. A company, near enough, of Water Dogs, corrupt IG and deviant abhumans. Your eyes quickly swept over them. From your position, you could see Devries and a Bullgryn, but the Snake and Vulture weren’t nearby. Probably on the other side.

The conversations and laughter of the IG stalled to a stop as they took in their new position. Instead of the expected work crews, amiable work jokes and physical labor, they were looking up at a hundred shotguns, a hundred space suits. Anyone who knew anything knew that to be the preliminary for a spacing, and you could almost hear their throats go dry.

Devries didn’t seem to react, the smug bastard.

He slowly walked away from the trucks, towards the balconies that watched him. He didn’t even have the courtesy to put his hands up, instead acting as if the imminency of being spaced was something that happened to him everyday. He raised his voice, called out. “Amacita darling?” Was there an undercurrent of tension there? You liked to think so.

“Captain Devries. I thought we might have a chat.” You leapt down the ladder, strolled towards him. Not too close though - he might have a back up plan, even when cornered. Explosives strapped to the vehicles, or something. Quickly, you had the Machine-Spirits do a quick scan - no unexpected chemicals. Could be some other sort of bomb, but the more typical ones were ruled out.

“That seems wise. Your shipping crew seems nervous about explosive decompression.”
You couldn’t hide your smile. “Yes, well. On a Rogue-Trader. . . accidents happen.”
He raised a perfect eyebrow. “One would be wise to avoid accidents. A message to the Mechanicus, and your situation is much worse than mine.”
“You don’t seem to have access to a radio here.”
You could feel him roll his eyes. “Please. I left word in case of such an event.”

“Well prepared, are you.”
“You could say that. Now how about you take off those helmets, and we pretend this whole thing never happened? I can respect your initiative, if not your judgement.”
“You made one mistake Devries.”
“What is that?” You could still feel his supreme confidence, the knowing he was in charge of the situation.
“I’m not Amacita.”

You almost missed it - a small tic, where he bit the inside of his cheek.
“Who are you then?”
“Ohone. The Brevet-General. Tech-Priest.”
You saw it then, a crack in his tremendous self control. His nails dug into his palms, even though he concealed every other aspect of his tension.
His control was really quite good. You expected that was no small smart of his success.

He recovered quickly, at that. He recalculated the situation, said: “Well, General. I know when to fold.”
“You think you can just fold? All the laws and regulations you’ve broken?”
Devries shrugged indifferently. “You can run the math just as well as I. As long as I’m valuable to you, you won’t kill me.”
“What makes you think I would trust you? Your loyalty is not something to be noted.”
He looked at you incredulously. “Loyalty? There is none, not in all the galaxy. There is only a recognizance of the facts. You want things from me, and I want to stay alive. As long as I have something, you will keep me alive. As long as you can kill me, I will try to give you something.”

You gestured to the Tribes. “Get these trucks out of here. Tell the work crew to take them to the Recyclers. As for you, Devries…”

What do you do?”

A. “You are going to wear an explosive collar, and then tell me all I need to know.”
B. "You are going to full processing.”
C. “You are going to be made into a sentry servitor.”
D. “You are going to the Grey Guards for . . . questioning.”
E. Something Else.

Lord, but he’s a smug son of a bitch. I’m starting to channel some Vetinari here.

Loel fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Jan 31, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
A

Space all the water dogs and anything that lives, claim all the gear.

E: on second thought he's more useful as a remote controlled rat

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Jan 31, 2015

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Don't go full on sadist.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Full processing!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh, do we have a quiet location where we can be undisturbed and unspied upon?

Yes, your private labs in Between

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

my dad posted:

Don't go full on sadist.

I dunno I like silly justice, is forcing him to live forever and memorize all the rivets in the Beast that sadistic?

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yes. It does come off as slight overkill to me, but then I'm a big softie.

D, and maybe they could leave him intact as a pawn, I kind of like him.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Tias posted:

Yes. It does come off as slight overkill to me, but then I'm a big softie.

D, and maybe they could leave him intact as a pawn, I kind of like him.

Actually a pawn would be pretty fun too. What if we got him some new implants so he's got a personal Machine spirit riding along as our commissar / remote control. Could be useful to have a fall guy.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
B.

Shogeton
Apr 26, 2007

"Little by little the old world crumbled, and not once did the king imagine that some of the pieces might fall on him"

Tempting to use him as a pawn. I mean, he is obviously really good at what he does. But we can't trust him, can we? Sure, we could instal safeguards and things. But you know what? That kind of arrogance, thinking you had things under control and working with people who have every reason to hate you is exactly the way HE got in this situation. D, but recommend following it up with B The value he has is in rooting out those treacherous to the Family on board of this ship. A good Ordo Mechanicus person knows that a very powerful weapon with a high likelihood to blow up in your face is not a useful weapon at all.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

E. He likes games so have him roll a 20 sided die. The options are choices A to D. If he refuses to play space him.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

HiHo ChiRho posted:

E. He likes games so have him roll a 20 sided die. The options are choices A to D. If he refuses to play space him.

Yes, this.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
B You are an infection. You will be cleansed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A x
B x x x
C
D x
E x x