Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Sogol posted:

Aren't we all diplomated up and meat like?

Yes. As a rule, your mechadendrites are in a box.

A
B x x x
C x
D
E x x x x x, x

Edit: As an aside, we've hit 3000 posts! Woo!

25 pages ago we were meeting Quint and Tanya
50 pages ago, we were talking with the gang lords.

Since its the first of the month and a nice round number, Ill do a shoutout to my other (running) blog. https://www.patreon.com/user?u=502147&ty=c
If you are interested in helping support my running goals, check it out :)

Loel fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Feb 2, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B What kind of putz admits to being in a secret club just because some jagoffs wearing disguises showed up?

If I was Inquisition and one of my people just answered "Yes" to a question like that, I'd terminate them for gross incompetence.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Haystack posted:

In that case,

B+. Give them the most longwinded, deadpan, detailed public history of the inquisition that we can muster

If they wanted us dead or captured, they'd have hit us anywhere but our center of strength. Therefore, they want to talk. This whole thing is just to rattle us, maybe test us, make us play to their tune. They've got us in a bad place, but it will be informative to see how they react to us going off script a bit.

This, we're a tech priest, let's annoy them by being spergy

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Haystack posted:

In that case,

B+. Give them the most longwinded, deadpan, detailed public history of the inquisition that we can muster

If they wanted us dead or captured, they'd have hit us anywhere but our center of strength. Therefore, they want to talk. This whole thing is just to rattle us, maybe test us, make us play to their tune. They've got us in a bad place, but it will be informative to see how they react to us going off script a bit.
I like the pithy response, but this is too good. Also, the first couple times they try to interrupt us, just roll over them, insisting that the important part is just coming up.

Also, I'd like to propose that we realize our mistake here, and now that we have a bunch of disposable skulls, and since we're paranoid anyway, we should maintain a stealthy skull perimeter around ourselves at all times, and never enter a room that hasn't been scouted well in advance. Ideally we should keep the skulls spread out enough that nobody notices we're doing this.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
B. We use our words only to hide our ideas, and our ideas only to hide our evil.

We don't know who they are, and even if they're ordos, they may be attached to someone who doesn't like us. The Inquisition isn't your friend, even if you're a member.

Serpentis
May 31, 2011

Well, if I really HAVE to shoot you in the bollocks to shut you up, then I guess I'll need to, post-haste, for everyone else's sake.
Oh, boy. E.

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

Haystack posted:

In that case,

This is the answer most befitting of a tech priest. Trying to sound all cryptic and mysterious to trained inquisition storm troopers and what looks like a member of the inquisitor's retinue is going to get us a punch in the face at best or hauled off to interrogation at worst.

They've come in armed into our sanctum to make a point so let's hear what they have to say.

Also do not reveal that we know anything about the Inquisition aside from what we've picked up from our training on Mars and what a well traveled tech priest like us would know especially that we work for an inquisitor and our mission here. We're going to be in way over our head and easily discarded as a pawn by powers much greater than ours.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Betray nothing, try to bore them to submission.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So they know us, and they know us well enough to be here in our labs, and if they're here in our labs, they're smart enough to have deactivated our traps, but if they're good enough to find us and deactivate our traps, and they haven't shot at us already, they must be here to talk. But we don't know quite who they are or what we should say. So: B.

Give the most straightforward, truthful, and orthodox answer we can, and give it very calmly. We're being evaluated here, we need to show discretion and grace under pressure. While we're talking, of course, do whatever we can to figure out who they are and how much of our poo poo they've already hosed with, and get ready to call for backup if we can, just in case. Do nothing to threaten them directly, of course.

As an aside--so, are we being set up to see Amacita get stupidly killed so we feel bad about failing to protect her, or set up to see her unveil herself as secretly being Limosa's agent and/or Kozilek's agent and/or Mother's agent and/or Abraxas in disguise the whole time, so we feel dumb about not noticing?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Chantilly Say posted:

So they know us, and they know us well enough to be here in our labs, and if they're here in our labs, they're smart enough to have deactivated our traps, but if they're good enough to find us and deactivate our traps, and they haven't shot at us already, they must be here to talk. But we don't know quite who they are or what we should say. So: B.

Give the most straightforward, truthful, and orthodox answer we can, and give it very calmly. We're being evaluated here, we need to show discretion and grace under pressure. While we're talking, of course, do whatever we can to figure out who they are and how much of our poo poo they've already hosed with, and get ready to call for backup if we can, just in case. Do nothing to threaten them directly, of course.

As an aside--so, are we being set up to see Amacita get stupidly killed so we feel bad about failing to protect her, or set up to see her unveil herself as secretly being Limosa's agent and/or Kozilek's agent and/or Mother's agent and/or Abraxas in disguise the whole time, so we feel dumb about not noticing?

Mwhahaha! Mine is an evil laugh!

A
B x x x x x, x x x x x,
C x
D
E x x x x x, x x

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
E, pithy line about knowing blah blah

Bede
Jun 2, 2006

I wasn't even around for the goblin baby vote
B

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
B

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

B with extra spergy tech priest rambling

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
B with the longwinded answer, but if they look like they're going to shoot, try the pithy one and activate all defenses currently available. Even if they are the hardest of the hard core, being in the middle of a living tech-priest's lab while the tech-priest is angry with you is a bad idea.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Pity that Megabite isn't available right now, just for show. For future planning, what kind of extra modifications could we make to the dog, or our growing skull-cloud, to make our retinue of servitors better at a)tracking people and/or b)fighting psykers?

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Annnd I'm caught up. Shame I missed the interrogation. Had some ideas.

Right, then. Ohone is a tech-priest, so let's get analytical.

If these are Inquisitors, as seems likely (and as they seem to want to present themselves) they're here to do one of three things: Recruit us, question us, or shoot us.

If they wanted to shoot us, they probably would have done so already, which implies they want to at least question us first.

The fact that they haven't outright restrained us or boxed us in yet suggests they do not believe we will be a hostile witness, though they may think they need to apply a modicum of threat - there is reason to believe, then, that whatever they want to know is something they don't think we would tell them immediately, though they do not believe it will require a full-scale interrogation. The lack of restraints also suggests they probably don't intend to kill us, either, though it's possible that they expect to extract the answer they want with relative ease and intend to clean up loose ends immediately afterwards. We should keep a careful ear out for what they ask us - if it seems too simple, too harmless, then given where they decided to meet us they probably intend to kill us.

Overall, however, the extreme secrecy doesn't quite seem to add up to a simple questioning session. It's too incongruous - the lack of restraint combined with the high secrecy and the overwhelming firepower that doesn't actually have us pinned. Execution also seems unlikely for the above reasons. They are likely here, therefore, to recruit us. The fact that they're doing so here, in a secret lair we thought safe while they possess overwhelming firepower, suggests that they want us to be drat sure who holds the whip hand. They will want respect, fear, and loyalty from us - competence optional but preferable.

Given all that, let's try a shot in the dark.

E: "I know that it is dangerous to work with them, but still more dangerous yet to refuse to. What is it you want from me?"

This hints that we know what they want without committing us to anything and suggests a healthy degree of respect for their position, while at the same time appearing fairly competent in divining the reasons for their being here. It also gives nothing away on our part. If they're NOT Inquisition, we've said only that the Inquisition is to be feared - and if they're here in secret and talking about them, they likely agree. A bit riskier than simply pulling the stupid accountant act on the face of it, but given what they've already seen of our lab they likely already have a fair appreciation of our capabilities and won't enjoy appreciate our playing extra-dumb.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
If push comes to shove we should still have the electoo granting us our Inquisitor's authority to act in his name.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

While we answer, can we reach out electronically and check the status of our traps and any automated weapon systems we have floating around the area? Just to see if/how they bypassed them? Nothing so involved that it'd stop us from responding normally, but it'd be good to check on things.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I want to be clear about my vote that we shouldn't come off like a sperglord here. Giving a simple answer shows discretion, and calmness in the face of danger. After we show that, the next questions they ask are going to be very important, so we don't need to be glib.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I don't think I've voted yet - E Let's do that coy answer.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Chantilly Say posted:

I want to be clear about my vote that we shouldn't come off like a sperglord here. Giving a simple answer shows discretion, and calmness in the face of danger. After we show that, the next questions they ask are going to be very important, so we don't need to be glib.

It's a bunch of tacticlol ~*~kewl guys~*~, giving them a long spergy answer is hilarious and entirely fitting with a tech priest.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Haystack posted:

In that case,

Sperg

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Haystack posted:

In that case,

This

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

If push comes to shove we should still have the electoo granting us our Inquisitor's authority to act in his name.

I keep seeing reference to an electoo granting us Inquisitorial authority, but I don't remember where it was introduced by Lowell. Can someone please point this out for me?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

It's a bunch of tacticlol ~*~kewl guys~*~, giving them a long spergy answer is hilarious and entirely fitting with a tech priest.

The way I figure it is, if they're here, they know we're not the run-of-the-mill tech-priest. Since we don't know who they are yet I don't want to be a smartass... yet.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
B. Literally access and read a public file. Inquisition Wiki. The naive assumption of a sperg is that the request is literal and they would like to know all about the Inquisition. Odd that they have not looked it up themselves, but people are so odd aren't they. This has to be done with some apparent goodwill and no hint of humor whatsoever. Mostly we can forget that they are there while we do it, really getting into the task. The most we could add is something like: "Oh! This is interesting. I didn't know this. Did you know... Some obscure historical fact about the Inquisition or member of the Inquisition that is public record, but incredibly boring?"

We also might not want to totally skip over the question of what the hell they are doing in our inner sanctum. The answer to that currently is static masks and bandoliers. We might reference it though: "I confess to some passing curiosity regarding your presence here, but by your dress I assume your request is somehow urgent. Very well." Read wiki with no camp and apparent sincerity. Probably until they stop us. Hopefully that interruption won't involve Hell Guns.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Sogol posted:

B. Literally access and read a public file. Inquisition Wiki. The naive assumption of a sperg is that the request is literal and they would like to know all about the Inquisition. Odd that they have not looked it up themselves, but people are so odd aren't they. This has to be done with some apparent goodwill and no hint of humor whatsoever. Mostly we can forget that they are there while we do it, really getting into the task. The most we could add is something like: "Oh! This is interesting. I didn't know this. Did you know... Some obscure historical fact about the Inquisition or member of the Inquisition that is public record, but incredibly boring?"

We also might not want to totally skip over the question of what the hell they are doing in our inner sanctum. The answer to that currently is static masks and bandoliers. We might reference it though: "I confess to some passing curiosity regarding your presence here, but by your dress I assume your request is somehow urgent. Very well." Read wiki with no camp and apparent sincerity. Probably until they stop us. Hopefully that interruption won't involve Hell Guns.
This is pretty much how I envisioned a B vote, yeah.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

GhostStalker posted:

I keep seeing reference to an electoo granting us Inquisitorial authority, but I don't remember where it was introduced by Lowell. Can someone please point this out for me?

It's pretty standard for acolytes to have one on their palm or, if untrustworthy, on their cheek. Any Inquisitor can call it forth when they see you if they feel like it but it has to be an emergency for the acolyte to use it.

Sogol
Apr 11, 2013

Galileo's Finger
Also, this is the Taoist reference regarding those who know don't speak. We are speaking.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Deadmeat5150 posted:

It's pretty standard for acolytes to have one on their palm or, if untrustworthy, on their cheek. Any Inquisitor can call it forth when they see you if they feel like it but it has to be an emergency for the acolyte to use it.

Yeah, but we were basically recruited as a Throne Agent by message and have had no physical contact with our Inquisitor or any of their lackeys. I doubt we got any secret Inquisitorial electoo in this instance...

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

GhostStalker posted:

Yeah, but we were basically recruited as a Throne Agent by message and have had no physical contact with our Inquisitor or any of their lackeys. I doubt we got any secret Inquisitorial electoo in this instance...

Quite so. Cynically, you might have just been responding to some spam mail and not the Inquisition at all :D . You've never met the person claiming to be Kozilek, nor have they given you anything. Although the deaddrops did know about the Abraxus cultists, and left some weapons for you. . .

A
B x x x x x, x x x x x, x x x x x, x x
C x
D
E x x x x x, x x x x x,

Plan Sperg it is. Ill see what I can cook up

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
That's a gooood point. I forgot I answered the 40k equivalent to the Prince of Nigeria.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Short post, but important I think

Blind them with science!

Given their capabilities, you were more than willing to think they were Inquisition, either retinue or kill-squads. It would be nice to think that a simple statement of ‘Oh, I’m one of you!’ would relax the situation, but even if they believed you, it wouldn’t mean much. The Inquisition was a mess of factions and orders, many of them at each other’s throats (sometimes literally). You needed more information, and you needed to play for time.

It was funny, sometimes, the stereotypes laity had of Tech-Priests. Deeply powerful and esoteric, to be sure, but also terrible at social skills and talking like a normal person. Your role, the Factor of the Lathes, was actually built as a response to those truths - but that still didn’t change what many people thought of Tech-Priests. Someone who was more comfortable with machines then organics, someone who couldn’t have a simple conversation.

With that in mind…

Your voice croaked up, as if you hadn’t spoken in months or years. It wasn’t hard to fake - when you heard Tech-Priests speak, it was the most common tone, so it was easy to replicate. “Processing… processing. Accessing data banks of the Lexicanum. “In the twilight hours prior to His internment within the Golden Throne, while Terra lay besieged by the traitor forces of Warmaster Horus, the Emperor of Mankind commanded Malcador the Sigillite to seek out "men of character, skill, and determination" to be tested and trained so that an elite group of investigators might be tasked to discover the alien, mutant, and heretic…

Even as your words came out in a stream of babble, historical references, and minute-long segues, your mind was reaching out. Your security system had been craftily disabled - perhaps the best deconstruction you had seen this side of a Magos. Covering their tracks, though, that was less effective. It gave the impression of some great drilling machine, crafted of binary algorithms, and driven through the heart of your systems. And then, half heartedly, covered up with some ivy and disdain.

It was very, very good. But in looking at it… you got the feeling that it was a Machine-Spirit’s work, some chained beast kept in the equipment of the people standing before you. It lacked the Human spark that reached greatness, and you could tell that it had taken them a long time to perform it. Likely longer than you would have taken, given the same task. You were willing to be it was a tool of the Inquisition, and not a Magos in retinue.

That did give you some interesting possibilities. Given time, you could reconnect some of the structures, reactivate the security systems, and almost certainly without them noticing. They didn’t appear to have the same connection to the technological ether you did, instead drawing on tools from ancient years. While not ineffective, it meant they weren’t ready for a Tech-Priest in the heart of her power.

As you considered how far to take it, whether to repair or to reactivate, something they said stalled your unconscious mind, made you catch your words. You ran back into your memories, looking at it. What had they said? One of the soldiers - “Enough, enough. We all know the history of the Inquisition. What do you know of Limosa? Has he made any connections with Abraxus or Mother?”

Second verse, same as the first.

A. Repair the security systems. Say if you want to use Fate points to ensure success, and if so, how many. We’re in the start of a session, so I wasn’t sure if we should spend them. Also say if you want to activate the defenses.
B. Delay, delay. Give basic information of Limosa, and talk about Mother as if she were a child rearing mammalian.
C. Tell more of the truth. Very, very few people know the truth of about what happened in the depths, so that suggests they are affiliated with Kozilek
D. Truth is best surrounded by a bodyguard of lies. The Inquisition, investigating your rival? Give every impression he’s a heretic of the worst sort, and watch things resolve itself.
E. Something Else

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
D+A :getin:

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003
Second verse, same as the first.
D. Truth is best surrounded by a bodyguard of lies. The Inquisition, investigating your rival? Give every impression he’s a heretic of the worst sort, and watch things resolve itself.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
C

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
A&E: Stall for time, provide just enough truth to keep them interested. Treat this as a hostile interrogation until they offer up something concrete to confirm they work for Kozilek. Their knowledge of Mother is somewhat reassuring, in that it narrows down the field quite a bit. However, they're still a very real and present threat until confirmed otherwise.

Edit: If they do prove their loyalty to the boss, give them everything on a formatted and summarized dataslate. Progress reports, notes on Mother and all interactions, biological data on the psider, all available information on Limosa's movements, and of course detailed reports on Abraxus' cult and eventual banishment. For a competent tekpriest this should take a fraction of the time necessary to actually relay any of that verbally.

Tran fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Feb 3, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

D+A 2 fate points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

A Darker Porpoise posted:

D+A 2 fate points