Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I like the way you think My dad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

A
B
C x
D
E (visit nobles) x
E (sell elevator) x x x x

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
E, my dad

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

my dad

mepstein73
Sep 18, 2012

Whether or not you find your own way, you're bound to find some way. If you happen to find my way, please return it, as it was lost years ago. I imagine by now it's quite rusty.
Ignore Limosa, or deliver a witty one-liner about tides turning and psykers burning (sub-audibly, of course, or maybe just in our heads to be saf--wait, no. Psyker. Nevermind.)

E, Plan My Dad appears to be gaining traction, so I'll push alongside the crew!

E: ALSO! Does anyone else find it suspicious that another space elevator is leaving now? Could Devries have made it over to the other Rogue Trader and commandeered or altered its mission somehow...? I wouldn't put it past him. Mother's another option; what if she's now off in the Warp on a new ship?!?!?!

mepstein73 fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Feb 5, 2015

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
With Limosa and us both planetside, we should feel pretty confident the Beast isn't leaving without us. What is this bullshit, though? Can I vote to figure out what the gently caress just happened there while we go to HQ and see what's up and get on the comms with our own forces and make sure everything's OK on their end?

The HQ is probably the best place to find out what's going on and why, and to find out what we can do to a) profit from this and b) help the war effort now that a neighboring front has lost its logistical train. That's the short-term. Long-term, we should do what we can to collect more information about the enemy the Guard is facing here. This war is not our priority but it might be nice to know. And while we're at it, be on the lookout for what Limosa says and does now that he's planetside--how he reacts to the psychic problems the other Psykers are having, in particular. Any indication he knows about Mother?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Outrail posted:

^E. Yep, but first get on the grim dark google and try and figure out why they left. Maybe they dumped a distress signal before whatever happened happened.

When the lights go out turn them back on before you start walking.

Do this. Simply warping out is bad juju.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

my dad posted:

E - This is an opportunity to both profit and prevent a looming disaster. The Kriegs have just lost the umbilical cord linking them to their supplies and are extremely vulnerable. If we can get the Beast to resupply them, we could prevent a potential catastrophe. Of course, if we charge for supplies at 10x the standard price, I'm sure nobody will blame us.
Make initial contact with the Kriegs, tell them we want to negotiate with them to provide a new supply line. Do it immediately so no one else gets the jump on us. While they're sending our communication up the chain of command,

Outrail posted:

^E. Yep, but first get on the grim dark google and try and figure out why they left. Maybe they dumped a distress signal before whatever happened happened.

When the lights go out turn them back on before you start walking.
Try to figure out why their space elevator is gone in the first place. Ideally we'll have an understanding of the situation by the time we're hashing out figures. Perhaps it'll be something that will give us an advantage in negotiations!

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

LowellDND posted:

“We might have a regiment advancing with no contact, and within two minutes they are all gone. We’ve lost nearly two hundred thousand troops already, and the other Fronts are doing as badly. We are having to send troops underground, where they don’t have air or artillery support. Even after two months of combat, we have no idea what these xeno are or how they work.

“They never attack without overwhelming forces, usually on a tunnel group that is isolated. There are no survivors and no wounded.” He pushed some papers at you - dozens of pictures, basic analysis. Varied trauma - blunt and piercing, crushing, even acid. “We can’t fly in any major force because no one knows where the Turkey airships are. Units are vanishing without warning or explanation.

Okay, I wanted to highlight this data stream here. Granted, it is possible we are dealing with either a brand new race of Xenos that LowellDND has created, or possibly one of the very obscure ones from the depths of the setting like the Demiurg.

However, if we assume that we're fighting one of the major players, then we're looking at the Tyrannids. There's no evidence of gunfire, which eliminates the Orks, Necron, Tau, both types of Eldar, and most Chaos types.

Crushing, piercing, and acid are all typical Tyrannid weapons.

There are a type of burrowing Tyrannid called Raveners who could be the key to their dominance underground. It's bad enough that our troops don't have vehicle and artilley support while in the tunnels, but with Raveners in the lead, the Tyrannids can create new tunnels at will while we can't, so one minute you're walking along with your mates, and the next the floor opens up and starts spitting up a wall of teeth and claws and your squad goes down as another MIA in a long list of MIAs. It would also make sense if the earthquakes were being created by burrowed Tyrannid bio-titans, or maybe something even bigger under the earth.

Also, that interference that the psykers are reporting? If we're very very lucky, it's only Mother. If we're not, though, then it's the edges of The Shadow in the Warp, which is a specific phenomenon when a Hive Fleet of Tyrannids shows up and in doing so blots out the Warp for anyone else's use. No astropath communications, your navigator can't see the Astronomicon to help you jump out of there, and your combat psykers are too busy screaming to help in battle.

So, what just happened? If we're lucky, then someone on board the elevator ship simply hosed up or perhaps a genestealer cult infiltrated the ship and caused it to Warp out to do us harm and spread their vile strain to another world. Note that I say that massive incompetence or enemy infiltration are the preferred scenarios.

Because the other explanation is that they just saw the vanguard of a Tyrannid Hive Fleet enter the system and got the gently caress out of there while they still had the chance.

Therefore, I must urge the other component parts of Ohone's brain to please reconsider and vote as I am:

If we are lucky and this isn't the worst case scenario, then B is still smart. It gives us access to the most resources to deal with the problem. We can go up, muster help from The Beast, then return at the head of a relief effort.

If, however, this really is the first appearance of a Hive Fleet? Then the Lord-Sire is going to be getting the gently caress out of dodge in the very near future. If we don't want to spend the rest of our life fighting bugs, with the measure of that lifetime being measured in weeks or days at most, then we'll want to be on The Beast before it leaves.

Oh, and while I doubt we'll get that lucky, if The Beast leaves and we leave with it, Limosa may get left behind, and wouldn't that be convenient?

EDIT: TLDR version - I thinks we're fighting the Space Bugs. They may be coming in great numbers. If so, time to pack up and get the hell out! Vote B!

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Feb 5, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
E plan MY DAD but call for a shuttle (the Beast should have several dozen available, commandeer the next one ready to launch) and have it waiting nearby. You never know when you might have to book it.

Seriously though if somebody got to the KRIEGERS we're all hosed and should be running. Those guys are basically servitors with slightly less personal initiative.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Good analysis. Here's an appetizer

IF I DONT GET TO SLEEP NEITHER DO YOU

Nightmares and Portents

You murmured your excuses to Limosa, and began sprinting the moment you were out of sight. When the Omnissiah closes a hatchway He opens a porthole, and a crashed Space Elevator had all the possibilities of wealth as a hivecap. Possibly more - supplying a million (minus casualties) troops had to be worth more than a few thousand aristocrats.

You began shouting for your staff the moment you got to your bunker, and they began assembling, sensing the urgency. The air was thick with anticipation and uncertainty, and they seemed grateful for your leadership. You immediately began taking charge. First and foremost, you sent out a runner and radio request to the Krieg troops, requesting a meeting with their leadership at the earliest convenience. They would be piling up bodies even as you sent the call, but you had to get them before some other Emissary did.

In this, at least, you were grateful for their infamous stoicism. They’d plan a war with the body of their best friend as the table.

While that got arranged, you found your orbital radio technicians. They were looking a little paler than the others, and you ushered the other people out with a gesture. You doubted whatever had happened would be good for the public morale. With that, you looked at your tech. Her tag said ‘de la Torre’, and you remembered her as one of the SubSixers. Had taken to tech with agreeable skill. “Well?”

She sucked on her teeth. “Ma’am. The ship that just left was the Filthy Lucre, a medium sized Rogue Trader ship. The other orbital techs and I - the ones in the other HQs - have been watching it for a couple hours. Right as it left, it was broadcasting this, all channels.” She flicked a switch, and a vocal transmission came up.

“We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you…” It sounded like half a dozen people speaking, and every sentence had the exact same tone and cadence. You gestured at her. “A weird message, sure, but so what? Someone recorded and looped it and decided to spam all channels. Call it an iteration of psych warfare.” She nodded. “Thats what we thought at first too. Its not, though. It’s a live stream, or was.”

You listened for a little bit, then shrugged. If there was a difference in the sequence, you couldn’t hear it. “Do we have anything more than that?” She nodded again, spun the dial. “In the beginning, here. It started about six hours ago, with one voice. In the first three minutes, five voices were added. The ones you heard. At minute four through six, there is some mild interference.”

The audio clip she played had the same phrasing, same voices, but the opening was garbled. Shortly after, there were a series of thumps, but all through it, the repeated phrasing never stopped. “We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you…” For some reason, the perfect repeating made your skin crawl. “Turn it off.”

De la Torre did so, and then you had a thought. “Wait, no. That was only audio - where was the visual?” She grimaced. “See, thats the strangest part.” She reached for the screen, flicked it on. No audio, at least. The screen was monochrome green, standard IG fare, but it gave an unpleasantly wrong tint to the scene before you.

A young woman, standing in the center of the screen. It looked like the command deck, although much smaller than the one on the Beast. Rows of computer consoles, empty chairs. Ships weren’t supposed to have such a small crew, even on skeleton duty. Over the next three minutes, five other people joined her, standing in the center. They shared a familial resemblance - possibly parents, husband, children. They all spoke at the same time, staring directly at the camera.

“We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you. We love you…”

The video feed cut out. A new image appeared. “Memetic virus suspected. Removed by order of the Inquisition.”

Behind the image, the thumps continued.

What do you do?

A. Send De la Torre out, and try to access the visual material with your Acolyte rank.
B. As above, but if it doesn’t work, use your Interrogater Rosette.
C. Save it for later, and secure it well.
D. Delete it. If the Inquisition wanted you to know, you would have been told.
E. Something else. Maybe leave.

Something to consider - if you access it, you’ll be tagged as seeing it, and anyone who comes later with equal or higher rank will be able to see the tag. By the same token, you’ll be able to see who else has accessed it prior to you.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today
Memetic weapons are scary as hell. D.

Can we use our technical knowledge to heavily process it in some way (say, render it as ASCII art) that will likely render it inert but still get us some intel?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
A for now, but grab a copy using somebody elses log in, if we have one handy. Maybe Limosa? Note: Get Limosa's log in for the Beast's databanks.

We should have spent the drat point. WE COULD HAVE STOLEN A HIVE, YOU FOOLS!

Edit: This smells a lot like Mother. If it starts to look like Mother, we need to find a new thing to be engaged in, quickly.
We also need to be headed towards the Kriegers yesterday.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Ralith posted:

Memetic weapons are scary as hell. D.

Can we use our technical knowledge to heavily process it in some way (say, render it as ASCII art) that will likely render it inert but still get us some intel?

Yes

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey
E. A, but only after heavily reprocessing it to defend against memetic hazard. Try to make sure this is indicated on the tag that shows that we've watched it.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Show an unfiltered copy to a dreg when we're in the lab. Observe, then purge the dreg after five minutes have passed or the dreg starts acting up.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

VanSandman posted:

Show an unfiltered copy to a dreg when we're in the lab. Observe, then purge the dreg after five minutes have passed or the dreg starts acting up.

De La Torre has heard the audio, so if you want to be efficient...

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

+

That could be Mother making a break for it, or it could be a genestealer cult. Or, it could be some kind of Chaos thing. Hard to say, but it does suggest that even if a Hive Fleet may be coming, it may not be here yet.

Things to do:

Secure the meme. We can gently caress with it later under controlled circumstances. Do't plug it into our unprotected brain yet!

Call The Beast. Find out if there's a Hive Fleet or some other really bad thing entering the system.

Consult with psykers. If the interference was Mother and Mother is the one who took over the Filthy Lucre and left the system, then the interference should have died down. If, on the other hand, the interference is getting worse? Then we could still be seeing a Hive Fleet situation and should get the gently caress out.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

VanSandman posted:

You are a sick twisted gently caress.... This

At this point according to our intel the best suspect is Mother.

We should have recruited her! We're missing a psyker component to our retinue.

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Feb 5, 2015

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Double post

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, this option confuses me. It's been blocked by the Inquisition from the sight of the Guard. Do we have reason to think that our Inquisitorial superior doesn't want us to see it? Beyond, of course, the ordinary reason that we don't want to expose ourself to a memetic virus.

I'll say D for now, and to continue what we were doing until/unless otherwise instructed. And I do hope we didn't separate ourselves from Limosa without at least trying to keep surveillance on him. How convenient for him that one of the Family's competitors should fall under psychic attack.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

LowellDND posted:

De La Torre has heard the audio, so if you want to be efficient...
Place De La Torre in isolation, and make sure no signs of memetic virus infection show.

Also, we need to dive into our own brain and purge our own memory of having heard the virus. After getting the information we need about it, ideally. Let's be thorough.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

JT Jag posted:

Place De La Torre in isolation, and make sure no signs of memetic virus infection show.

Also, we need to dive into our own brain and purge our own memory of having heard the virus. After getting the information we need about it, ideally. Let's be thorough.

This & D: This is the kind of weapon that makes self lobotomy seem like the cautious option.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Don't purge it! The Mechanicus never deletes anything. Partition it in an external brain - maybe somebody elses' brain. Maybe a servitor.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

VanSandman posted:

Don't purge it! The Mechanicus never deletes anything. Partition it in an external brain - maybe somebody elses' brain. Maybe a servitor.

if you do that you need a static brain, one with no appendages to spread the memes!

Writing that I felt like I was in a Metal Gear game for a bit

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

if you do that you need a static brain, one with no appendages to spread the memes!

Writing that I felt like I was in a Metal Gear game for a bit

You've got any number of soldiers volunteers

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LowellDND posted:

You've got any number of soldiers volunteers

You know what? Let's see how basic the memetic virus can go. Make a servitor watch it. If the servitor starts getting affectionate, bump up the threat rating on the recording and put a big old BANNED BY THE ORDER OF THE ADEPTUS MECHANICUS on it.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
C. Keeping poo poo on ice is the best way to handle it.

If we DO decide to purge our own memories it'd be pretty funny if Lowell went back and edited those bits of his post out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh yeah, we should do whatever's necessary to stop this poo poo from spreading of course, including putting a hellgun beam through the back of De La Torre's head if that's what we need to do, and making sure it doesn't take root in our skull.

Based on what we know of these things (what do we know of these things) how much danger are we in? How much danger is De La Torre in? Since this was just broadcasting in the clear for a little while, how much danger is the whole army in?

Do the Kriegs love us now?

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Chantilly Say posted:

Oh yeah, we should do whatever's necessary to stop this poo poo from spreading of course, including putting a hellgun beam through the back of De La Torre's head if that's what we need to do, and making sure it doesn't take root in our skull.

Based on what we know of these things (what do we know of these things) how much danger are we in? How much danger is De La Torre in? Since this was just broadcasting in the clear for a little while, how much danger is the whole army in?

Do the Kriegs love us now?

Well, the first contacts would be the radio operators and possibly anyone in the room who saw the screen. So, if you hear reports of HQ buildings acting oddly...

You were making an appointment with the Krieg HQ, come to think of it :)

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

LowellDND posted:

Well, the first contacts would be the radio operators and possibly anyone in the room who saw the screen. So, if you hear reports of HQ buildings acting oddly...

You were making an appointment with the Krieg HQ, come to think of it :)

If a Krieger asks for the definition of the word "love," run away.
Kriegers are some very scary people.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Were the censored visuals watched live by the techs during the initial broadcast or was that censored as soon as it happened, while broadcasting?

What is actually known about the enemy? The only description is from when the drop pod almost landed on them and the disco suicide squad drove them back in hand-to-hand combat, so at the very least Ohone's troops produced a ton of autopsy subjects.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Shadeoses posted:

Were the censored visuals watched live by the techs during the initial broadcast or was that censored as soon as it happened, while broadcasting?

What is actually known about the enemy? The only description is from when the drop pod almost landed on them and the disco suicide squad drove them back in hand-to-hand combat, so at the very least Ohone's troops produced a ton of autopsy subjects.

Hard to say, as of yet. You could go through the file and see if the Inquisition left any notes on it. Alternately, you'll see here soon if anyone had a reaction to it.

You (plural) did collect several thousand human modified cultists. They had increased musculature, twitch muscles, and big frickin claws. Its possible they were using cosmetic surgery or gene therapy to be more like their vile xeno masters.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

VanSandman posted:

If a Krieger asks for the definition of the word "love," run away.
Kriegers are some very scary people.

They don't have to worry, we don't intend to hurt them.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Shadeoses posted:

It's a late-stage Genestealer infestation. There's probably a Patriarch out there somewhere, waiting to psychically gently caress up somebody.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I have just spent the last few days reading this amazing thread, nice to finally catch up to it in real time :)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oasx posted:

I have just spent the last few days reading this amazing thread, nice to finally catch up to it in real time :)

Awesome! Good to have you!

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I want it noted that I called Tyarnnids back when we first visited Army HQ.

Anyway, D we don't have time for this poo poo.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

I want it noted that I called Tyarnnids back when we first visited Army HQ.

Anyway, D we don't have time for this poo poo.

They could still be some awesome home-brew I stole from Gears of War made :colbert:

As an aside, I only tossed the Kriegers in cuz of the terrain I wrote in my head (they are near a toxic valley). Now that I might need to write them, Im looking them up, and they are fun as hell.

I hope they become regulars. That and some Inquisitorial Stormtroopers would be ten times of kick rear end.

Loel fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Feb 5, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

VanSandman posted:

Changing my vote to this, except use someone due for execution. This is the grimdark future, there should be no shortage of them.