Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Hah, I was just thinking of doing a big announcement like that. Splendid.

I think I have enough to start the next post, but Ill keep refreshing in case anything gets added.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Also: we don't want to meet him with the Kriegs around, because the boy might try something stupid and they would shoot first ask questions later.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Oh! Addendum to the E vote: Shoot the picture of the kid over to Skade, see what she can find out about him. Also, Plan Lanky Coconut Tree is a good extension of my own, and I approve as long as we make it clear to those who happen to be around him when the message plays that we want him taken alive.

Edit: Also, release the Nallanis, they're clearly innocent.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Give the sniper rifle to Tanya and get her training with that, Lord Sire can get his own rifle

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

When Ohone finishes draining this guy of useful information but before executing him,
I'd really like to read "This is for your own good you know, sooner or later you'd have pissed off the big dogs and they would have never let you die"

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Someone so incredibly bold and passionate clearly deserves a spot in the retinue.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
He's got some brass balls, that's for sure.

We should release the Nallani troopers.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Give the sniper rifle to Tanya and get her training with that, Lord Sire can get his own rifle

I agree with Lanky Coconut Tree on this, Give the rifle to Tanya, personally I don't think it'd be of such great value to the Lord-Sire, since while it is of course super high quality, it's not something that would sell easily, so it just becomes an artifact lying around, without even the emotional attachment that the Filthy Lucre had to it, because it wasn't used by our founder.
Now, if our Lord-Sire had had a grudge against them it would be different, but we don't know anything about that, so I'd rather use it for our own benefit.

Edit: Also release the Nallanis

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
He's a potential witness to the Enemy's handiwork, we need to pick his brain. After that, I we see if he's got any assets remaining (unlikely) and then he's probably corrupted so he gets mulched, I guess.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Just… what?

A quick scan of the servitor parts revealed more than enough to finish the hunt. The face, the age, the relative immaturity - even the lack of resources suggested this could be resolved quite quickly. You sent your skulls into the air like avenging birds, applying a Bayesian analysis to assign where to put them. It was less likely he would be in barracks, it was more likely to be in a children’s creche, so on and so forth.

You also spoke through them, demanding obedience from all who heard it. “Last scion of the Filthy Lucre! I know what you have done! I am Ohone, the target of your vengeance. Do not hide behind a coward’s rifle! You know where my HQ is, come there and we shall finish this!” You doubted it would work, but who knew. A child with a child’s sense of honor.

You sent a quick memo to Commissar Nalia, ordering her to release the suspects, and you also began working your way to your HQ to begin reviewing the Inquisitorial tapes. Honestly, this was all a sideshow to what had happened to the ship, and you wanted to focus on things like the war. This was .. this was really..

Really?

A small girl was walking towards you, holding a cheap doll. Quick painted face, plant leaf hair. She was smiling, and talking. You would have liked to have tuned in to what she was saying, but the fact that the doll was a low-count meltabomb had a certain focus on your thoughts. Replaying it later, you would realize she was saying ‘The nice boy gave me this if I gave you a hug!’

And then she exploded.

… Really?

. . .

This was just tragic.

How could someone not time a meltabomb properly?

By the Omnissiah, they didn’t teach kids anything these days.

Shrugging, you watched for any more snipers, rogue servitors, or meltabombs, but the dear child seemed to have run out of tricks. You went to your HQ, ready to do some nice research, and … “Skade, why is there an Inspector-Clerk in our HQ?”
Sincera Pax smiled at you over her knitting. “Don’t mind me dear, I’ll be ready to talk when you are. I heard your announcement, someone trying to kill you? Why is that?”
“Skade, why is she in our HQ?”
“Oh, don’t mind her. I told her that she could either let me sit out here and drink my tea, or I would have to remind those we serve that your unit technically requires Commissars. You are in the employ of the IG, after all, and mercenaries are so prone to leaving the battlefield…”
You started to say something, stopped. “I don’t have time for this.”

You went down below to your labs, perhaps with only half your dignity, and tried to focus your mind on your work. This was a fascinating little problem, one that could normally occupy you for days, but you kept getting distracted by the thought of some amatuer running around with no sense of planning. He … didn’t follow any of the rules! Any of the strictures of common sense and preparedness, he was just running around in a frenzy.

He probably wouldn’t even live through the day, regardless of your help.

Fine. Whatever. You decided to work on the Amacita files for a bit. It was unrelated to everything else, and might clear your brain a bit.

Assume that Amacita is using the Artifact for concealment. All well and good. You had used it yourself, and remembered well the sense of grey that came with it. You walked the world in a fog, and no one else even noticed you. Presuming it was some sort of psyker tool, that would suggest that it simply dulled the senses - or, more precisely, the sense of important. It forced the idea that you belonged.

Now, you hadn’t heard of psyker devices working on many machines, but let’s say it did. If you had [mystical power], you would try to have it cover all angles, including tech. If that were the case, producing a visual loop would draw attention. Speculatively, what if the device produced similar imagery, but not the exact same? That would mean the viewer would think it was simply more of the same.

The flaw in the device was that you had copies of the records, and were thus able to identify the false event.

Alternately, she was running a double scam, but it seemed odd she would take no effort to conceal it. Assume higher probability of the first hypothesis for now. You willing to bet that the device had redundancies built into it - you remember how bored the tape had made you, forcing to do other things and not pay attention. It was possible you had a reduced attention span that day, but perhaps it was a result of the xeno device.

If that were the case, what had interrupted it? What had allowed you to double check the tapes, remember the inconsistencies?

You mulled the matter, walked around your lab.

… Hunh.

Before you, the body of the psider. You remember how Mother had been horrified by it, been unable to fight it in any way. A primaris psyker like her, unable to kill an animal that you defeated with a few grenades. Perhaps… it was an anti-Mother? Some sort of void, that psykers couldn’t deal with? That … that had promise. If it was resistant to the xeno-artifact, that meant you might be able to push through later and see what Amacita was hiding.

And, even better, the brain of an anti-psyker would be hilarious to implement against Limosa.

Ah, that was it. The gears of your brain running smooth again.

You reached out for the Inquisitorial tapes… your radio pinged.

“By the Omnissiah, what?
Skade seemed to quail at your response. “Boss… ma’am. He’s here.”
“Who?”
“The last scion. He says he’s ready for the duel.”

… Really?

What do you do?
A. Duel him, of course. You are an honorable voidborn.
B. Have the servitors capture him and bring him down to the interrogation room.
C. As B, but bring him down to the labs. Its time to do science to him!
D. Eh, just have him shot. You don’t have time for this.
E. Something else.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Have him wait in a locked room while a servitor plays video of all his assassination attempts on a loop, dub the Benny Hill music over it,

Look at the tapes.

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

sheep-dodger posted:

I agree with Lanky Coconut Tree on this, Give the rifle to Tanya, personally I don't think it'd be of such great value to the Lord-Sire, since while it is of course super high quality, it's not something that would sell easily, so it just becomes an artifact lying around, without even the emotional attachment that the Filthy Lucre had to it, because it wasn't used by our founder.
Now, if our Lord-Sire had had a grudge against them it would be different, but we don't know anything about that, so I'd rather use it for our own benefit.

It's the personal weapon of the founder of a rogue trader dynasty, it's kind of a big deal and a great status symbol for lord sire to have. It's "The Gargant Slayer" it isn't just a fancy rifle, it's a piece of history that collectors would pay souls for if they could get their hands on it. Lowell's words in irc not mine :v:.

IRC posted:

[23:08] <LowellDND> collectors would pay souls for it
[23:08] <LowellDND> the original weapon of a founder of a trader dynasty?
[23:08] <LowellDND> "The Gargant Slayer"?
[23:08] <LowellDND> yeah

D Ohone has better things to do than deal with this chump. Have him directed to a "prearranged dueling site" and have someone put a las round through his face from long distance, just in case he's strapped with explosives.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Feb 8, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
The completely exasperated tone was just lovely.

As for what to do with the noble joke I say B: Ohone can continue working on her psider hypothesis while questioning him. The sight of a tekpriest casually conducting a dissection should have him talking.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Have him taken alive, but it's not worth our personal attention just this minute. We're a busy woman.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, every so often? Every so often? I need to remind myself not to ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Even mind-boggling stupidity.

B, but give him a good once-over first to check for hidden surprises. I imagine he might have some interesting things to say regarding the Filthy Lucre. It's almost certain that he doesn't know poo poo, but by picking his brain over we might narrow down the possibilities.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

You know, every so often? Every so often? I need to remind myself not to ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity. Even mind-boggling stupidity.

B, but give him a good once-over first to check for hidden surprises. I imagine he might have some interesting things to say regarding the Filthy Lucre. It's almost certain that he doesn't know poo poo, but by picking his brain over we might narrow down the possibilities.

I like to curveball every now and then :D Not everyone is the next Devries

A
B x x x x
C
D x
E

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Changing my vote to C. We need a live human volunteer for the memetic virus tests, combined with the psider

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Changing my vote to C. We need a live human volunteer for the memetic virus tests, combined with the psider

I just want to point out that in all likelihood the tape is the final moments of his Family, who died about two hours ago.

Just.. something to consider. :gonk:

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Duelling would be fun, but i guess the sensible thing would be to interrogate the guy, so i am voting B.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Oh, by the way, if after being captured he starts complaining about dishonorable treatment, wryly remind him that he hasn't exactly slapped our face with a gauntlet before now, and wasn't there the little girl he blew up?

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

LowellDND posted:

I just want to point out that in all likelihood the tape is the final moments of his Family, who died about two hours ago.

Just.. something to consider. :gonk:

Exactly

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Yeah sure! I'm willing to take some insanity points! We need to go crazy a bit! Changing from D to C

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
B I really want this dude to feel the depth and breadth of his incompetence. I mean, killing an innocent little kid without even accomplishing your objective? That's just low. This guy isn't worthy of having our lowest Dregs step on him.

I would also dearly like to know who put the idea in his head to take vengeance on us.

I suppose he could have made bad assumptions, but considering the weirdness around the Filthy Lucre, psyker fuckery seems much more likely.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
This kid almost feels like a PC made by a newbie.

Overly generalist jack-of-all trades, makes bad assumptions and plans, takes weird risks.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

paragon1 posted:

This kid almost feels like a PC made by a newbie.

Overly generalist jack-of-all trades, makes bad assumptions and plans, takes weird risks.

Could always ask My Dad if this one is his. :D

edit: to clarify, Im saying maybe this character is the one My Dad chose to introduce into the game as his MVP choice, not that he's a bad newb :ohdear:

Loel fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Feb 8, 2015

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Oh, yes.

I want to open the interrogation by asking him a series of questions assuming that he was the one who hosed up the Filthy Lucre. Start with things like "Why did you do it? Why did you betray your Family?" and so on, just to gently caress with him. Get him good and confused and emotionally vulnerable before we settle down for the real work of gathering useful information.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

Oh, yes.

I want to open the interrogation by asking him a series of questions assuming that he was the one who hosed up the Filthy Lucre. Start with things like "Why did you do it? Why did you betray your Family?" and so on, just to gently caress with him. Get him good and confused and emotionally vulnerable before we settle down for the real work of gathering useful information.

You were wasted in whatever job you have that isn't intel.

edit: I know its only been an hour, but I wanna write an interrogation scene. Standby for a post!

Loel fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Feb 8, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

LowellDND posted:

You were wasted in whatever job you have that isn't intel.

edit: I know its only been an hour, but I wanna write an interrogation scene. Standby for a post!

aspergers is a serious condition please do not joke about it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Tomn posted:

I'm all for that.

We should correct the idiot on whatever wrong he thinks we've done him, and then watch him scornfully as he realises he picked a fight with us for no good reason.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Standard shout out to http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2008-01-20

Go out there and have some fun!

Perhaps it was a personal failing, but you enjoyed the feeling of power over people. It was a heterdox ideology that said that was a bad thing, popular among the Dregs. Amacita, you knew, felt some affection for the idea - but you knew the ethos of the God-Emperor. A place for everyone, and everyone in their place. And in general, that place was with you giving orders and other people taking them.

Which is why your mood was so greatly improved by having this young thing in the interrogation chamber. Simple metal table, simple metal chairs. You had had the prisoner chained to the floor, hands behind his back, so he couldn’t do much aside from watch the vidfeed you had thoughtfully provided him. A loop of his failures - failed shooting, failed servitors, failed bombing.

Bizarrely, he hadn’t even been wearing a suicide vest. It reinforced the idea that he was flying on all rage and no plan, and only using what he had to hand. A (superb) rifle, a meltabomb, a bit of hacking skill. A quick scan of his remaining gear should a quite impressive poison on a cutting ring - perhaps that was his last gambit? No matter. The servitors had seized him with no trouble, and his look of rage and betrayal would bring you joy forever.

You let him soak in his own juices for an hour or so, while you rebalanced yourself. The thing about humans was that, for all intents and purposes, they were a machine - built in the Omnissiah image. Provide some inputs, and they would respond with outputs, in a very predictable way. Isolation and reminders of failures were a lovely way to begin, but you had further plans to get him off his game.

You gathered your folder of photos, graphs, ship data, and strolled in. Not all of it applied, of course, but it was important to appear all knowing.

The young scion looked up at you with a face of pure hatred, face strained with grief and rage. He even leaped at you against the chains, struggling briefly before giving up. You sat down in front of him, pushing the folder near him, cocked your head. “Travers Schatten, last survivor of the ship Filthy Lucre. Why did you betray your Family?”

The shock on his face was priceless, and his reply could only be described as incomprehensible screaming.

“Yes, quite. Want to try that again?”
“You are the one who killed them, you monster!” His voice was thick with rage.
“Mm, no.” You opened the folder, held it in a way he couldn’t see. “This says your shuttle left this planet about nine hours ago. You deployed a virus aboard your ship, and then returned. Why did you do it?”
He looked flabbergasted. “What? No. No! I was with my Family! The ship came to us!” His face hardened. “Your ship! Your monster came to us!” Interesting.
“Please, what makes you think it was my monster?”
He spat the words. “Everyone knows about your Psider. You conquered in the dark and made it your own. You are a psyker and a mutant and used your daemonic powers to kill my Family.”

“Mr. Schatten…”
“Lord Schatten!”
“Lord of what? Your ship is gone, your Family gone.”
He looked about to cry. “I’ll get them back.”
“You have no resources, and you are in a cell on suspicion of Familicide. You betrayed your Family. You failed your Family.”
“No.. No! It was you! It was all you!” His voice rose to a shriek. “You did this to us!”

“What do you think I did? Mr. Schatten.”
His head slumped back. “You killed us.”
“How?”
“You already know.”
“I know you’ve been tried to kill me three times today. Let’s talk about that.”
“Give me back the rifle.”
“Of course not.”

His voice grew strength. “It’s mine. As the last remaining member of my Family, it is mine by right.”
“You’ll find, young Mr. Schatten, that rights are a matter of might.”
He looked shocked, like the world was breaking apart. Again
“No… the nobles serve the God-Emperor! You would act within the Code Nobilia. If you weren’t a heretic!” He ended on a shout.
“The Code Nobilia means serving the God-Emperor. Yes?”
“Yes.”
“How does ending in a cell serve the God-Emperor?”
“I was trying to destroy a monster.”
“You failed. How does that serve the God-Emperor?”
“Sometimes nobles fail.”
“Then they stop being nobles, don’t they?”
“No! Nobility is shown by inner strength! By duty!” His voice grew in strength. “By honor.”
“Not much honor in killing a little girl and an Imperial Guardsman.”
“You were…” his voice lowered. “You were too strong. I had to do it that way.”
“So nobility is a matter of strength.”
“... Yes.”

You waited a few minutes, let him think about it. Then:

“Where did you get the rifle?”
“My grandfather - the Lord-Sire - gave it to me. He said we were under attack. Said to take the shuttle down, to restart the line.”
“How does attacking me do that?”
“You were the one who attacked us!”
“Why do you think that?”
“Who else could have done it?” Memories flicked through your mind. Many enemies could have.
“Was this your first time on planet?”
“Yes.”

“Really? You landed and within six hours were shooting at me?”
“... No. My Lord-Sire said to find friends.”
“Did he say who they were?”
“No. Just to find some.”
“Who did you choose?”
“Nobles. By the Code Nobilis, they were honor bound to help me.” This child.
“Who did you talk to?”
“I don’t know. They talked to me, mostly.”
“What about?”

He snarled. “About you!”
“Some random person you just met started talking to you?”
“No. I told them what was happening.”
“What was happening?”
“The servants, the guards. They kept saying…” he shivered. “Well, you know.”
“So you told the other nobles this?”
“Yes. And they talked about you, and said you had fought the psider.”
“Did they say I was responsible for your Family?”

A pause.

“No.”
“You decided to shoot another noble for no reason?”
“No! He implied it! He said you were …”
“I was what?”
He slumped. “He didn’t say it. I thought it.”
“He implied?”
“Yes.”

“Travers?”
“Yes?”
“What did he look like?”
“... like you.”

What do you do?

A. Seems a good kid. Send him to the Schola Progenium.
B. Ah well. Psider and tape time.
C. Ask some more questions. (Such as?) Maybe rub his nose in his failed attempts
D. Give him a quick death and be on your way
E. Something else

Loel fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Feb 8, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

If he thinks we're a monster a monster we must Be. Kid's super racist and can't even tell the voidborn apart, he deserves family movie night.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Ahahahaha, so this actually WAS Limosa, just not an actual plan of his and more of a throwaway joke that fell into his lap.

C. If he was aboard the ship just as everything was going wrong, we ought to be able to get some interesting details, perhaps even find out where the virus came from.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

A Darker Porpoise posted:

family movie night.

oh god I just found the description of the thread

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

B, and let the kid know this would have gone a different way had he not pissed us off by trying to kill us, but by trying to kill us so badly.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Someone pick up the phone because I loving called it.
Well now I'm really curious who or what was on that shuttle.

I doubt the kid knows much more. B

It would have been A, but then he went and turned a little girl into a bomb. gently caress you kid!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
E: Inform Inquisitor Kozilek that the last surviving heir to a warrant of trade will be in need of training and a guiding hand. Waste not, want not.

The kid is nothing to us as an enemy or test subject, but to Kozilek he'll likely prove a very pleasant bonus.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
A warrant of trade doesn't mean much without a ship to go with it, surely?

vvEdit: Ah crap it probably was her. Whelp, it's not our problem anymore!

paragon1 fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 8, 2015

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

paragon1 posted:

A warrant of trade doesn't mean much without a ship to go with it, surely?

Also this kid would not be carrying it around, it's still on the ship. He has nothing really.

All hail Mother the new Lord-Sire!

Love Mother.

Love Mother.

Love Mother.

Love Mother.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Feb 8, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

The warrant is authorization to deal with xenos, the ship is just for the actual mechanics of such. As for the item itself, I'd expect most dynasties to leave it in a vault somewhere secure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Time to bring out the psider