Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011

LowellDND posted:

Only if anyone knows he's still alive :ssh:

We used his hand- his own flesh and blood. While it wasn't his as in his current one, it was made of his DNA. No one said he had to be present in his entirely. Therefore, it's valid!

We could always claim that Saint Husbando raised him from the dead in secret before and he has been resting all this time as we knew he wasn't needed at that time.

Also, try to figure out what this drat darkness is.

Edit: we should spend our cash on weapons and gear. Our wealth is our might, so says our resident holy saint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Don't burn profit factor to improve the ship accommodations, instead roll against it to do so at next opportunity.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

JT Jag posted:

Don't burn profit factor to improve the ship accommodations, instead roll against it to do so at next opportunity.

This

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Shogeton posted:

An investment of 5 PF in standards of living seems prudent. This is a religion that is scornful towards luxury and niceties after all.

How? As you said, the religion doesn't need nice things. If they encounter them, they burn them. 5 PF is ridiculously ostentatious for them and is more likely to drive them to rebellion than not. If you want to get rid of the Drusians, you have them meet up for Fabiyan's blessing and massacre them all, void the bodies into space, and get a new batch of passengers. Note: killing all of St. Fabiyan's worshippers may have a negative effect on his divinity.

Investing / Burning Profit factor is a ridiculous expenditure of wealth. When you have a bunch of profit factor (like we do), you can just roll on a table to get nice things without expending it permanently. Think of this as using a fate point to reroll something vs burning it permanently. You can get more profit factor, but why would you want to burn any in the first place unless it's for something major like getting a total overhaul of our ship by Mechanicus on Mars.

When we were offering 10 profit factor for Devries, it was because we had gone insane. It was not because it was the right way to do things.

Edit: Clarification

ElrondHubbard fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 27, 2015

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
no spending PF

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

JT Jag posted:

To clarify, I support this. We definely dont want anything gilded or ostenstatious, for the above reasons.

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Sogol posted:

Create a buffered interface with the spine so we can access it without installing it. Consider how else we might use all that free spinal real estate in our armor.

Teleporter homer for deep striking Iron Hands, extra powerful mechadendrite, giant pole with neon =][= or mechanicus symbol. The possibilities are limitless...

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"sorry to disturb you sir. The ship is under control. Shall we close the lid?"

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Arkanomen posted:

"sorry to disturb you sir. The ship is under control. Shall we close the lid?"

Afterwards, start pumping in SLUDGE, then have murder servitors and arcoflaggelants charge in:getin:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

JT Jag posted:

This pls

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Ask him about the spine.

His own. :getin:

Nah JK uhhh ask him if there are any secrets or tips that he didn't get to impart before faking his death. We are going to war. He is a brutal soldier. What does the Beast have for us to bring to bear?

Ask about the spine.

Ask how long he has to live. He's on a respirator, right?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
"Sorry to bother you Lore Sire, let me know if I can get you anything". Give him a personal vox hardwired to our personal line and seal him back up.

What's the deal with Fabian's wings?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

When I voted to spend 5 PF I had temporarily forgotten how the system works, but I remember now. As a refresher:

Profit factor is not a representation of the money or wealth that we have. Rather, it is what it says on the can: a representation of the of amount of profit that we as a Rogue Trader bring in on a regular basis. It's not just money, necessarily: especially powerful favors, artifacts and such can also be worth profit factor if the Rogue Trader can find a way to monetize them. When we attempt to acquire something, be it weapons, equipment or what have you, we do not lose profit factor, but roll against it. That is, using our income stream and the various favors that our profit factor represents, we can purchase things without, in theory, making a dent in our overall valuation as Rogue Traders. And the more money and favors you have available, the easier it is to get things.

Profit factor can, of course, be gained and lost. When we offered ten profit factor to track down DeVries, we were likely offering to sell incredibly valuable assets to whoever gave him up to us.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jun 28, 2015

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Destroy the spine. Xeno-tek can be cleansed for service to the Omnissiah, Warp-tek is damned from inception.

Don't squander profit factor. We'll just upgrade our life support system and quarters when we refit at mars. We'll be burning a massive fortune in Mars as is, don't waste further wealth by trying to throw money at a jury rigged solution.

Greet Lord Di Muzio, ask if he and his servants would prefer to return to quarters on Alpha Deck. The death of a prior lord sire isn't strictly necessary for the ascension of another. We know this because Anastasia De Vocht's father is still in a box above the command deck. Di Muzio has clearly abdicated his position, and would hardly even have the forces to reclaim the ship if he were so inclined. Show him every courtesy as a ranking member of the family. If he expresses an interest in performing a role on ship, give him one. Otherwise let him have his retirement.

Edit: ^^^ There is a mechanic introduced in Into the Storm to permanently burn profit factor to ensure success. That's what we're going to be doing at Mars, but it's still best that we do it all at once. To give a clear idea of what it would take to get the absolute best living conditions possible, we'd need to burn 10 profit factor to get a 95% chance of success or 12 to completely guarantee it. Note that these two mods would make our ship about as habitable as a pleasant terrestrial planet.

Also, I strongly expect that we're going to get a significant increase in clout and importance once we send off the message that'll spark the largest war the galaxy has seen in ten thousand years.

Tran fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jun 28, 2015

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

poor life choice posted:

Ask him about the spine.

His own. :getin:

Nah JK uhhh ask him if there are any secrets or tips that he didn't get to impart before faking his death. We are going to war. He is a brutal soldier. What does the Beast have for us to bring to bear?

Ask about the spine.

Ask how long he has to live. He's on a respirator, right?

Tomn this motherfucker

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Volmarias posted:

Tomn this motherfucker

I don't know what this means. :ohdear:

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

Volmarias posted:

Tomn this motherfucker

Mercy is never misplaced. If you don't have any mercy for him, then at least have some for us poor goons.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Well after my big 3 questions I was thinking we bow out and wish him a happy retirement.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Guys, this is the chance for a grand second weddind, with a honeymoon on Titan!

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Yeah, I see profit factor as a representation of your assets and the income they produce. And it doesn't scale linearly, as I recall. So over several centuries of gallavanting around the galaxy, our family has amassed a lot of wealth. Presuambly it is invested in several diversified portfolios across several subsectors, to minimize risk. Normal purchases just mean hitting the stores with a couple million space-bucks, burning profit factor would be permanently selling off major assets.

As far as the previous Lord-Sire is concerned, presumably there have been occasions when this happened before? If not, well, this can be the first. Give him a new job and a pension. Preferably some where far away from the ship. Managing our new Terra offices, for example.

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

JT Jag posted:

Changing my vote to this and destroy the spine. Also ask pops if he can help us in secret

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
Don't burn profit factor. Role to acquire ship accommodations and upgrades.

Ask the former Lord-Sire about the spine. Ask him if he wants to advise us or be left alone. Try to convince him to advise us if he is reluctant to come out of retirement. Ask him for tips and secret knowledge.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

poor life choice posted:

I don't know what this means. :ohdear:

In another CYOA thread, forums poster Tomn is notorious for asking an obscene number of questions during Q&A sections with NPCs.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
People voting to burn profit factor on improving accommodations have no idea how much profit is worth and most of the votes are for burning amounts that could literally buy us a pleasant terrestrial planet.

Don't burn profit factor on anything just yet, roll first, negotiate second, burning PF is a last resort.

Keep the spine in a box in the attic.

Say hi to our predecessor, ask him if he'd like to move somewhere else, and do NOT SLUDGE him.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

sullat posted:

Yeah, I see profit factor as a representation of your assets and the income they produce. And it doesn't scale linearly, as I recall. So over several centuries of gallavanting around the galaxy, our family has amassed a lot of wealth. Presuambly it is invested in several diversified portfolios across several subsectors, to minimize risk. Normal purchases just mean hitting the stores with a couple million space-bucks, burning profit factor would be permanently selling off major assets.

As far as the previous Lord-Sire is concerned, presumably there have been occasions when this happened before? If not, well, this can be the first. Give him a new job and a pension. Preferably some where far away from the ship. Managing our new Terra offices, for example.
Yeah, we should give him the opportunity to do something useful for the Dynasty, but away from the ship, if that's what he wants.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Actually, in terms of improving living conditions.... Convert the jungle into an arboretum. If it has a sustainable, lush ecosystem, we could probably start farming there. Optimise it a little bit for space and making sure it remains stable, and we could have people actually eating fresh food rather than just nutrient slurry at least every now and then.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Hey so I wonder if we can use the legend of Ohone and Fabiyan's love as a way to turn converts into troops. You know, teach them a sacred hymn or something. Kind of like this:

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

Waci posted:

People voting to burn profit factor on improving accommodations have no idea how much profit is worth and most of the votes are for burning amounts that could literally buy us a pleasant terrestrial planet.

Don't burn profit factor on anything just yet, roll first, negotiate second, burning PF is a last resort.

Keep the spine in a box in the attic.

Say hi to our predecessor, ask him if he'd like to move somewhere else, and do NOT SLUDGE him.

Agreed

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Also, contact some of the people on Kiera's contact list. I don't mean make friends with Forge Samech, but deals with Ultramar we should definitely follow up on. Tell them she's dead and left her contact list to us as her successor, which is the truth with the omission of some irrelevant details.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

yes to wacis plans + some things we should look at

Kiera(may she always live on in my heart) left us with a list of "open minded" techpriests. That means they don't work for her BUT are open to more radical ideology and experimentation. If she thought they could work with her they can work with/for us. Research them more in depth, dig up more info to see who would be most approachable since we have no friends in the mechanicus

We really screwed up with Matthias. Who else realized that we never spent any time with him and allowed his loyalty to be swayed? We have been taking our underlings loyalty for granted and that cannot go on. Spend more time with everyone. Party with Limosa, have tea with mom, talk philosophy or something with Winterswik, anything. We cannot neglect the people who are working for us!

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

Sure, we're gonna' have time while we rebuild the ship.

Althair
Jul 26, 2006
words are weapons
I also support investing more time and attention in getting to know our people better and in the intentional cultivation of loyalty.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Xun posted:

yes to wacis plans + some things we should look at

Kiera(may she always live on in my heart) left us with a list of "open minded" techpriests. That means they don't work for her BUT are open to more radical ideology and experimentation. If she thought they could work with her they can work with/for us. Research them more in depth, dig up more info to see who would be most approachable since we have no friends in the mechanicus

We really screwed up with Matthias. Who else realized that we never spent any time with him and allowed his loyalty to be swayed? We have been taking our underlings loyalty for granted and that cannot go on. Spend more time with everyone. Party with Limosa, have tea with mom, talk philosophy or something with Winterswik, anything. We cannot neglect the people who are working for us!

Agreed on all points.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Althair posted:

Don't burn profit factor. Role to acquire ship accommodations and upgrades.

Ask the former Lord-Sire about the spine. Ask him if he wants to advise us or be left alone. Try to convince him to advise us if he is reluctant to come out of retirement. Ask him for tips and secret knowledge.

All of this

ElrondHubbard
Sep 14, 2007

If the Lord Sire is reluctant to serve, assist, or give any secret information, brainbox him and ask him again :unsmigghh:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Oppose everything ElrondHubbarb says regarding our predecessor.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

Waci posted:

+1.

Also since it slipped my mind earlier we should probably make sure he knows Limosa is alive and well, while Siadwell is very much not.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd

Waci posted:

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Waci posted:

Goon hivebrain-in-a-box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tran posted:

+1.

Also since it slipped my mind earlier we should probably make sure he knows Limosa is alive and well, while Siadwell is very much not.

All this, too