Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

We should have just fired Amacita imo

Out of a cannon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
I wanted to send her on a suicide mission.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Though we are a Magos, we were acting as the Lord Sire in that place. Amacita calling us a Magos at that time is a pointed and deliberate insult that no one in the room would fail to understand even if you did Tomn. Imagine being in the military and the ranking General comes into the room. You have an issue with him because you think he's not doing his job. You turn to him and refer to him as anything other than 'General' or 'Sir' while acting like she did. You are now hosed. You have deliberately disrespected him in front of others, especially outsiders. You've known him for years, but that isn't going to change how hosed you are. Had you gone to him in private, things would have been very different. You didn't and basically committed career suicide. In Amacita's case, it was literal.

Lowell, as a veteran, what would have happened had you done this in your military career? Would people say that the General was a big meanie and Stalin-esque, or would everyone who heard what you did raise a glass to your brass balls and toast that they're happy they aren't you?

This is what I'm not understanding from the Amacita did nothing wrong camp. She hosed up royal whether she meant to or not. This is not hard.

Edit: even better, anyone remember that General that got forcibly retired when he insulted Obama to Rolling Stone? Yeah. We're the President and he served at our whim as we are the Commander in Chief.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Nov 23, 2015

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Tomn I agree with your POV on The Incident but I think asking someone to present for dismantling their step-by-step of how the game would be if we made different choices won't really change hearts or minds.

I think trying to ponder Vulkan's shrine, Amacita's words, Fabiyan's idea of service and Athena's hopefulness for what was and might again be may make Ohone a more sympathetic and possibly enjoyable character. I can't say it'd be a more effective or optimal leader of mankind but it would be a more human one. So that's why I vote for hope.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
The purpose of the meeting on that gangplank was to welcome back the triumphant return of the Lordsire and begin preparations for retrofitting the ship.

Amacita barely acknowledges our presence, then assumes authority of the congregation and begins issuing commands. This is a direct challenge to our authority and the act of turning her back on us is even more so. She did not ask permission to continue acting in our stead when we returned and then added a challenge to her insubordination.

Now, to address your question. What possible actions were there to take and what consequences would have arisen. We can really break it down into really four categories. Ignoring the challenge, Responding lightly, Responding harshly, and Excursion. The after effects are somewhat of a "what if" game but I will try and guess at a logical outcome.

Ignoring her display nets us a change to the network of power on the ship. Amacita would be seen as the real power behind Ohone and would have invited further challenges to our commands and dictates. Amacita would be seen as a sympathetic figure and our rather harsh upcoming battlefield decisions would eventually instigate a mutiny or sedition in Amacita's name. This would all culminate in another showdown and purges if we were the victor.

A light discipline is more complicated to guess the outcome to. It would have been the most political, Amacita is allowed to play her challenge off as a simple faux pas and then we later deal with her in private. This option I feel would keep the ship on status quo which is undesirable for Ohone. We want to remodel the ship to function how we see fit. All doors open and lock at our whim, no secrets are hidden from us and no one can use it against us again like the Magos did. This option is politically invalid for our end goals.

Harsh discipline. This is the least politically savvy, and depending on how harsh we got, would push people deeper into Amacita's camp and make her a martyr. Would we beat her within an inch of her life there on the gangplank? Maybe we disfigure her or send her into the deeps for Abrograte flensing. None of these are good options as they really, really make us a sadistic monster and breeds revolt. This is the trap option.

Execution. Now this is actually not the option we chose and at the same time we did. Look at what publicly occurred. She challenged us and we responded with lethal force. This is the correct option in maintaining, and in this case, reasserting our authority. It sets out the message that even if we disappear for a decade we expect things to be run properly and subtlety handed back to us the moment we return. We are the Lordsire. Amacita was able to muster enough loyalty to have someone use the blank to save her (Not really a heroic act) and then the situation was resolved. A challenge was issued and we responded. That interaction is closed now.

We then proceeded into our private discussion where Amacita confirmed her feelings about us and cemented the fact that what happened outside was a challenge to our authority. The four options come up again.

Now here is where I personally decided to vote of execution again. Her past history of failures demonstrated she was a liability, although her recent sucide as at running the ship showed she was getting better. Her involvement with Devries and being an accessory to our Nuking. I suspected her of cultist activity. And finally that public challenge was too much to let go and her ideology was poisonous to our own and inappropriate for the upcoming war effort. She had liability written all over and we had no real means of putting a leash on her like Limosa ready at the moment. This option could create a martyr but really only among the common people and they were easily manipulatable leaving only the Family to handle. Weighing that political mess against the potential mess from Amactia and taking her out was the right call.

She's gone. The remaining council was educated on our reasons. The populace thinks she died a hero for us. Our puppet is installed to control the council and everything is neat and clean. So what if the family doesn't like us, or is nervous. We simply require obedience. Better to be feared than loved.

e:

JT Jag posted:

I wanted to send her on a suicide mission.

We did! She was sent on the mission of dodge Ohone's gauntlet. Amacita did not complete her mission.

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Though we are a Magos, we were acting as the Lord Sire in that place. Amacita calling us a Magos at that time is a pointed and deliberate insult that no one in the room would fail to understand even if you did Tomn.

This is a good point. I missed that she called us Magos. It might be an acceptable mix-up for anyone else who couldn't guess which honorific title to call us, but calling us Magos while acting as Lord Sire is presumptuous as all get out.

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 23, 2015

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Tomn posted:

If you disagree, feel free to explain why. Explain, step by step, what the consequences would have been if we'd taken any action at all short of killing Amacita, and why those consequences were sufficiently dire to have justified Amacita's death and left us with no choice.
You're continuing to be disingenuous. I very specifically made no argument at all that killing her was the only possible choice. I only explained that her public transgression, then and there, was not the triviality you made it out to be.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012
This thread will never be free of the guilt of murdering Amactia; the constant war between "it was necessary" and "we could have handled it better".

Poor Ohone must be seething with self-loathing and self-justification.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Ysengrin posted:

This thread will never be free of the guilt of murdering Amactia; the constant war between "it was necessary" and "we could have handled it better".

Poor Ohone must be seething with self-loathing and self-justification.

Seems like a workable compromise to me :v: She's gone to Fabiyan's bar twice, once after killing that kid, and once after killing her cousin. But she doesnt feel safe in confiding in anyone else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RFYoZ7H67A

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 23, 2015

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

The thing about this whole situation was that I'm glad she did that and that we responded the way we did. Even if it wasn't her intention, she actually gave the greatest gift anyone could have given us at this crucial moment in history. Even more than Athena giving us a Titan or billions of troops. I feel that with her death she gave us back our humanity.

This is a good thing. I think she let us hit the reset button on our soul. I was never a purge guy and haven't liked the direction Ohone has gone for a while. Amacita let us take a step back and examine what we are and whether or not we like that person and what we should do to change that.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The pilgramage was also an opportunity for Julian and Fredrick to let down their hair and speak their mind without fear of being overheard by Ohone and the others. The duo just needed to make it a point to walk within the sight of the retinue periodically as proof they hadn't run off for some nefarious purpose. As if they could someone join the forces of Chaos on holy Terra. Fredrick had just demonstrated his continued loyalty when he was waved over by Julian.

As they went to shake each others hands Julian said "They don't allow recording here, Freddy"

Fredrick laughed, Julian continued "I suppose you watched Luckas's private memorial service."

Fredrick pretended to look hurt.

"I'm shocked, shocked you would accuse me of that. I had Anamarie write an executive summary of it."
"Ha ha"
"Before we start, you need to know Amacita was up to no good, a conceited know-it-all bitch, a oval office who didn't have the ships best interests at heart.
"You're just repeating slurs based on rumors spread by people who feared her authority. If there were any facts behind them she would have been executed a long time ago.

The duo were handed an apple and a pear each, the two instinctively swapped for their preferred fruit; pears for Fredrick and apples for Julian. Fredrick bit into a pear before speaking.

"Rumors exist for a reason"

Julian did the same with his apple before replying.

"Yes, that reason being the nobility fearing more power going towards the dregs and serfs. You promise you aren't recording right?"

Fredrick bit into his pear again, considering his response.

"You're not really that paranoid are you? I'll tell you how she died if you promise to destroy her hair"
"I was going to do that anyway."
"I know you, you'll toy with the idea of cloning her, making a new Amacita. I don't want you doing something stupid like that. Promise me you'll destroy it."
Julian replied "Yes, yes, I promise. By the emporer I can't belive you'd think I'd do something that stupid." He'd have to ask Anamaria if he'd said anything stupid like that during the drunken remeberance.

Fredrick paused, trying to find the right words to Luckas's question. "Amacita died poorly. In a lot of pain and anger."

Julian looked at the partly eaten apple in his hand and thought about lying to the Explorator to spare his feelings.

"Does Luckas already know the facts behind her death?"
"He was there, but he claims not to remember it."

The two went silent. Julian didn't want to ask what happened and Fredrick didn't want to have to answer. Julian broke the tension.

"I'm guessing it was either a murder, a suicide, or an execution. Which one was it?"
"I'm sorry, that's classified"
"That never stopped you before"

The two walked in an uncomfortable silence, pocketing their remaining fruit for later. There wasn't anything Fredrick could stay to Julian about Amacitas death. And besides, it was time for Julian to make a proof of loyalty appearance.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

This is what I'm not understanding from the Amacita did nothing wrong camp. She hosed up royal whether she meant to or not. This is not hard.

The problem isn't that Amacita did nothing wrong, the problem is that WE did. It's a question of proportionality. If your hypothetical general had instantly responded by trying to shoot the soldier in the head and then resorted to tearing out his heart when he missed, then, yes, I think people would have called him a total lunatic because he did that instead of putting the soldier on a charge, reprimanding him, demoting him, sending him to garrison duty in Alaska or any number of possible solutions short of execution. The fact that the setting is 40K simply means that people keep that thought to themselves instead of agitating for our instant dismissal and trial.

Like I said, petty problems call for petty solutions. Instant death was an enormous overreaction fueled by paranoia.

Arkanomen posted:

Better to be feared than loved.

quote:

Nevertheless he ought to be slow to believe and to act, nor should he himself show fear, but proceed in a temperate manner with prudence and humanity, so that too much confidence may not make him incautious and too much distrust render him intolerable.

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved? It may be answered that one should wish to be both, but, because it is difficult to unite them in one person, is much safer to be feared than loved, when, of the two, either must be dispensed with.

Ralith posted:

You're continuing to be disingenuous. I very specifically made no argument at all that killing her was the only possible choice. I only explained that her public transgression, then and there, was not the triviality you made it out to be.

Not only was I not responding to you specifically, I don't think I am. The triviality wasn't that she did nothing wrong, but rather that her offense wasn't anything like major enough to warrant instant execution, unless I suppose you're bent on instituting absolute totalitarian rule (and even then it's a question whether execution was the most effective means of going about that.) It straight up wasn't a big deal until we made it a big deal.

For what it's worth, by the way, I question Ohone's judgment far more than I'm questioning her morality. Occasional purges are the accepted thing in 40K, as others have noted, but said purges ought in theory be based on cold calculation rather than passing hysteria. For all that people joke about kill-happy commisars, good commisars kill the right people at the right time to produce the maximum effect instead of firing wildly whenever they piss their own pants - and they realize they have more options than execution at their disposal, too.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Though we are a Magos, we were acting as the Lord Sire in that place. Amacita calling us a Magos at that time is a pointed and deliberate insult that no one in the room would fail to understand even if you did Tomn.

Imagine being in the military and the ranking General comes into the room. You have an issue with him because you think he's not doing his job. You turn to him and refer to him as anything other than 'General' or 'Sir' while acting like she did.

You are now hosed. You have deliberately disrespected him in front of others, especially outsiders.

What you and the whole murder camp made the mistake of assuming familiarity for disrespect.

The whole best friend thing is baggage to that relationship, as her death spiel so pointedly reminded everyone. I love how you admit it in one breath and completely miss the implication of it in the other, and ...

That's kind of how amacita met and knew ohone, who was being deliberately out of touch and not communicating with staff, not to mention keeping the inquisitor thing under wraps.

When everyone calls the captain the Iron Maiden, especially behind their back, its not a name that makes you think of a traditional lordsire. Its a deliberate reference to being a made of metal magos.

Tomn posted:

Those in favor of killing Amacita thought that this...was a big deal. I don't.

Tomn has the right of this. "Sup bro" happens a lot among peers despite rank. Even more regularly? an old friend gets a promotion and you call em by your old rank out of habit. poo poo happens ALL the time. Double so when you haven't seen a pal for a while or one party has been out of touch.

You know what you do?

You forgive that poo poo and you correct it. "Oh hey thanks I'm a captain now" Done.

... really kudos to lowell for nailing the relationship between the two actors well enough to result in murder when read by people with no tact who can't read into the situation.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Tomn posted:

the setting is 40K

This is why it happened Tomn

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

TheParadigm posted:

Tomn has the right of this. "Sup bro" happens a lot among peers despite rank. Even more regularly? an old friend gets a promotion and you call em by your old rank out of habit. poo poo happens ALL the time. Double so when you haven't seen a pal for a while or one party has been out of touch.

You know what you do?

You forgive that poo poo and you correct it. "Oh hey thanks I'm a captain now" Done.

... really kudos to lowell for nailing the relationship between the two actors well enough to result in murder when read by people with no tact who can't read into the situation.

Sure, it happens all the time behind closed doors. But if somebody called President Obama "Senator Obama" and willfully changed his orders 2 years into his Presidency, or refused to follow the chain of command in a warzone, then that person is either incredibly incompetent or deliberately disobeying. Either way, in the 40k Universe, they have to go before another bloody Chaos incursion happens because of their stupidity.

Ysengrin
Feb 13, 2012

Slaan posted:

Sure, it happens all the time behind closed doors. But if somebody called President Obama "Senator Obama" and willfully changed his orders 2 years into his Presidency, or refused to follow the chain of command in a warzone, then that person is either incredibly incompetent or deliberately disobeying. Either way, in the 40k Universe, they have to go before another bloody Chaos incursion happens because of their stupidity.

That particular metaphor doesn't quite work, since I have no doubt people would very much call out the president if he flew off to the Philippines for a few months and didn't explain why, and told the US to just hold down the fort in the meantime. Obama doesn't also frequently disappear for months or years with little-to-no contact, or nor does Obama ignore most of his responsibilities in favor of pursuing enigmatic goals unexplained to his cabinet.

Which is why we made that resolve to try and actually explain ourselves more, right? So that that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 23
Current: 36,444
Total Goal: 38,333

Shrine City 7

“You seem happy.”
Athena’s smile was real as she looked around them. “Of course. This is as close to ideal as I’ve seen.”
Children running around, recently well fed and watered, laughing. Older ones looking intently at the instructions at the forge. Pilgrims and officers and even the occasional Space Marine, all discussing the commonality of Humanity.
Frederik was smiling too, if weakly. “It really is. I grew up in the Deeps, you know.”
“A butcher, I heard.”
“Butcher’s apprentice. The Deeps were … alive. Vibrant. A quarter million people with the food and customs of a hundred worlds. It gave me no end of satisfaction to put them under my care. Keep them safe.”
They watched in companionable silence as the children ran about.

“It’s one thing I regret.”
“Losing the Deeps? The Magos War?”
“Yeah.” He searched for words. “Kiera was my friend for centuries. And the Inquisition came in, shook up the delicate balance I had built.”
“Would you have still faked your death if you hadn’t known about the cancer?”
He considered. “I think so. Fighting the =][= head-on is foolishness.”

Frederik paused. “I think the galaxy is changing. I think if I hadn’t gotten cancer, I would have been outliving my time.”
“Really? If a Saint came back and offered to heal you, you’d turn it down?”
“Yeah. I continued the Dynasty for centuries, handed it off to someone who understands the new galaxy. It’s been a good run.”
“But you don’t like it.”
“I think…” He looked around them. “I think we as a species might be forgetting why we do it.”

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Ysengrin posted:

That particular metaphor doesn't quite work, since I have no doubt people would very much call out the president if he flew off to the Philippines for a few months and didn't explain why, and told the US to just hold down the fort in the meantime. Obama doesn't also frequently disappear for months or years with little-to-no contact, or nor does Obama ignore most of his responsibilities in favor of pursuing enigmatic goals unexplained to his cabinet.

Which is why we made that resolve to try and actually explain ourselves more, right? So that that sort of thing doesn't happen again.

Except, this is literally what Rogue Traders and Inquisitors do. They commonly have missions that require disappearing for years at a time, and expect their underlings to know that. Its the equivalent to President Obama being at a meeting in Turkey for a week. He expects his people to know what they are doing when they are away. And this includes the understanding that they do not form policy without his consent unless in extreme circumstances.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
It was exactly the same as what happened with Truman and MacArthur, except we had a power gauntlet and Truman didn't. At least, not until late in '52, by which time it was already too late.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Clearly what we need to do is to travel back in time again, catch Amacita's body right after we kill her, implant a new heart (while we replace her body with a clone) and form the Secret Conscience Council featuring Ching Shi, Frederick di Muzio (use the optimization gun on him), Amacita and Fabiyan.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 23
Current: 36,716

Tea and knitting

“My dear!” His metallic voice was reverent. “Wherever did you find this?”
She smiled. “Outside Gliese 445. The first interstellar probe of the Terrans.”
“What an absolutely magnificent find. And the Terrans never noticed it?”
“They had forgotten it. It was in deep space, between the stars.”
“Barbarians.”
“Quite.”
“And… oh my. Intact.”
“I took care to ensure it. The contents should be in perfect working order.”
“My dear, I wouldn’t dare. This is going on a shelf and never touched.”
“I thought you would appreciate it.”
“You have no idea. Tell me, what is on your mind? Surely it isn’t to just hand me gifts.”
“Ah, I have a new project I am working on. From one collector to another.”
“Really?” His voice was interested. “What of?”
“The largest battle since the War in Heaven.”
He began to chuckle, then laugh, his voice booming off the walls. “My dear, you out-do yourself.”
“I am loathe to admit it, but I actually am. I don’t have the resources to contain something of that size.”
“A joint diorama? You intrigue me. What would we need?”
“Temporal pylons, in a sphere about two light years around.”
“You are right, that is a considerable project.” A flash of binary. “Mm… it’s doable. Would take nearly all of both our resources.”
“You were the first person I considered for it.”
“You honor me, my dear. How long do you anticipate us having?”
“Subjective local time, I think we could have the complete project in perhaps a decade. The significant events should have developed by that point.”
“I see, I see. And setting up billions of pylons, I’m sure they will need to be concealed?”
“Quite so. Dead to all sensors of the younger races, and the Tyranids.”
Another pause, rapid calculations. “It is doable, I think. If we act quickly.”
Athena smiled. “No time like the present.”

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Surface area of the sphere is 4Π(1.9e13)^2 km :v:

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

This is weird, the whole diorama thing is something I'd expect from Hera, as she's the one to create art. My guess would be that this is a ploy to also get the Necrons involved?
Also, Lowell, do you ever sleep?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Necrons?

Everything is fiiiiiiiiiiiine

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

sheep-dodger posted:

Also, Lowell, do you ever sleep?

Never never. I traded my ability to sleep to get the ability to write :D

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
Collector dude is pretty cool for a member of a nihilistic race of robotic geriatrics. He just likes collecting the interesting and unique.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Mm, yiss

Loel fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Nov 23, 2015

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Apropos of nothing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToKcmnrE5oY

Lanky Coconut Tree fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Nov 23, 2015

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 23
Current: 37,046

Golgotha

Five billion dead.

Perhaps not a large number, given the hundreds of billions committed to the battle in space and on the moons, but still. Governor Malkum thought that they should have gotten a better end than that. Not dying screaming under a thousand claws, a thousand axes. He didn’t even think the xenos had even noticed, so focused were they on the war. Five billion humans were simply biomass to feed the maw.

The few sensors he had the surface showed an alien landscape. None of the familiar winter landscapes he had grown up with. The razorstorms still existed, but the new ecology was even more adapted to it. Some xenos burrowed to avoid it, or flew away at the first sign. Many, though, simply had mutated to hulking forms of armor and mass, and fought under the storms as slow giants.

The oceans had been stripped bare. There were no fish, no great leviathans in the deep. Even the smallest mollusc or sponge had been stripped, converted to xeno biomass. Now, strange creatures floated over the waters, slurping it up and bringing it to the great organic formations, spawning the next wave of Tyranid forms.

In the East, billions of orks had turned Hive Gamma into their fortress city, tearing it to pieces even as they built new weapons and vehicles by sheer force of will. The two xeno factions met in the wastelands between them, slaughtering each other with glee. Organic mountains, slumped over swamps of sludge and chemical runoff, became the new battlefields, as the xenos leapt up and over to attack each other.

There was no one left on the planet except for him and his staff. There had been no word from the Mechanicus teams, and Malkum was all out of hope that there would be some trick or surprise that might save him. Time to make the call. His fingers reached out, dialed the vox, only slightly shaking. He finished the last of his whiskey. A fine vintage.

“Warmaster de Vadallio.”
“Governor.”
“I am the last outpost.”
“Understood.” She saluted. “You have done well.”
He saluted back. “Give them hell, Warmaster.”

He cut the vox, waited. The rumbling didn’t take long to reach him.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 23
Current: 37,420

Exterminatus

The thousands of specially crafted missiles cut through the atmosphere, bursting on impact. Specially crafted to fight xeno swarms, the chemicals synthesized with organic tissue immediately, reducing it to its component parts. Not unlike what the Tyranids did in their vast vats on the western coasts, but with an added trick.

Tyranids broke down parts to rebuild them anew - these missiles produced megatons of flammable chemical gases as a byproduct of the decomposition, and it was only minutes before they had ignited. The spark was brighter than the sun, and thousands of square kilometers were incinerated in seconds. It was impossible for the human eye to watch without being blinded, but if it could, it would have seen a line of fire expand across the planet, until all was dust.

Within minutes of Exterminatus, millions of Tyranids began deploying in the atmosphere, and the thousands of Space Hulks released millions Orks more. They were attacking each other even before they landed, thousands dying before they hit the ground. Ork spores and Tyranid bacteria began working on them immediately, spreading the xeno forms under the gaze of the ashen frames of the hive cities.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Now that we've lured all our enemies in one spot, we can destroy them all with one fell swoop! Genius! Why didn't we think of this before? :downs:

(Seriously, pretty much the only thing Athena needs to do about now to eliminate like 90% of the threats to humanity would be to warp out and cause Golgotha's sun to go nova. It'd also wipe out 90% of humanity's military power as well, but ey!)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 23
Current: 37,629

Warmaster

“Pretty.”
“I love the smell of burning xeno in the morning.” Similar comments echoed across the bridge.
De Vadallio put down her coffee. “Not a bad job, everyone. How many more times can we do it?”
Her chief of staff checked her notes. “Twenty, thirty more times maybe. The Navy doesn’t really equip for that many Exterminatus on a tour.”
She waved it off. “Don’t need to defend yourself, just making plans. Figure, do it again every ten days or so? Enough time to expand across the planet, but not really develop into a threat.”
“That should destroy perhaps a trillion of them. Not a bad effort for a couple months.”
“Mm. Yeah, let’s keep them focused on the planet for now. They don’t seem to know or care it’s trapped, so let’s just keep hitting them with it. A few bays of missiles to give us a year is well worth it.”
“We’re expecting the Great Enemy soon, as well.”
“Yeah, the thought occurred to me. Another reason to keep the retrofitting going, and use minimal forces to spend the xeno effort. Might even lucky enough to get the Great Enemy to land as well. And wouldn’t that be nice?”
A wave of chuckles responded to her.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tomn posted:

Now that we've lured all our enemies in one spot, we can destroy them all with one fell swoop! Genius! Why didn't we think of this before? :downs:

(Seriously, pretty much the only thing Athena needs to do about now to eliminate like 90% of the threats to humanity would be to warp out and cause Golgotha's sun to go nova. It'd also wipe out 90% of humanity's military power as well, but ey!)

Doesn't sound like she has anything so crude as making a star go nova.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
As an aside: Let's just vent the ship and replace everyone with servitors. I tire of these unpredictable "other characters" who could compromise our great vision for the future.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Are we going to get a Tyranid /Ork/Chaos hybrid? Should have spent more points in Magos biologis, we could have made something wonderful.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

ArbitraryTA posted:

As an aside: Let's just vent the ship and replace everyone with servitors. I tire of these unpredictable "other characters" who could compromise our great vision for the future.

We should just get Athena to simulate all the other characters for us and determine who needs to be purged and who does not.

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

We should just get Athena to simulate all the other characters for us and determine who needs to be purged and who does not.

Not a bad idea. I don't think she'd be too happy about that though, as the servant of our Goddess we should really be asking her what she wants us to do with the ship and if that means no purges then oh well.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
Why is Athena talking to a necron about making a diorama? Golgotha isn't some table top strategy game!

Also the Nids and Orcs are going to adapt to those bombs quick and because all the Gods in 40k suck, they are going to hybridize.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Arkanomen posted:

Why is Athena talking to a necron about making a diorama? Golgotha isn't some table top strategy game!

It's like you didnt listen to a thing Hera said :v:

quote:

Also the Nids and Orcs are going to adapt to those bombs quick and because all the Gods in 40k suck, they are going to hybridize.

:v:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is that our Athena or a crazy fragment?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Xun posted:

Is that our Athena or a crazy fragment?!

What's the difference?