Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Oh yeah, so how are people reacting to Athena and Hera? I mean how MA y people have we told and hasn't any one started gibbering about the Iron men?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Outrail posted:

Oh yeah, so how are people reacting to Athena and Hera? I mean how MA y people have we told and hasn't any one started gibbering about the Iron men?

From what I can recall, you haven't told anyone :v: Athena is doing her own thing. She has been shown to talk to Ching Shih and Lord-Sire. Hera has been shown to talk to Ching Shih.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Have we noticed this? Can we ask Lord Sire what he thinks of it?

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slice of Life: Brother Bricellus, Black Priest of Fabiyan. Donatien Grier's Quarters

Bricellus lifted the glass of amasec to his lip, sipped. A pleasing vintage, but its sweet taste did nothing to override the bitter taste of what Donatien was saying. He sat forward in the opulent real leather chair opposite Donatien's and looked him in the eyes, frowning. "A coup? Really?”

Donatien didn’t reply, instead looking away as Bricellus continued. “Are you insane? The Lord-Sire took an atomic explosion to the face and survived. She was beheaded and resurrected by a Saint.” His voice firmed, took on a reverent tone. She is trying to do what is best not only for the Dynasty but for the entire Imperium."

Apparently this was too far. Donatien slammed down his glass and stood up. "She's a loving maniac who will probably end up purging us all anyway in favour of those damned machines she loves so much.” They were staring into each other’s eyes now, both breathing angrily. “I thought you of all people would understand that she just can't stop herself from going too far. She's a sadistic tyrant who murdered her best friend for trying to do the right thing. You were friends with Amacita, how can you just gloss that over and carry on like everything's fine?"

Bricellus paused, ran his hand through his thick hair. Donatien was a friend. His voice took on a moderating tone. "Yes, Amacita was my friend. Yes, she died at the hands of the Lord-Sire, and yes, I mourn her death for the tragic and pointless waste that it was.” Donatien opened his mouth to reply, and Bricellus spoke over him. “But! But you are an idiot if you think that you have even a fraction of the complete story behind what happened. I will hear no more of this and I warn you here and now, old friend, quell whatever notion you have in your head of this stupidity before it gets you killed."

Donatien turned away, paced in front of the bookcase that lined the entire back wall of his study. Glanced at a book by one of the philosophers he always liked? "Stupidity? Caring enough to want a better way is stupidity?” His voice softened. “I should have known you'd not hear what I was saying anyway. You haven't been right since the Abraxus Incident when those Black Priests took you away. Something's wrong inside you too, you're as heartless and broken…” and his voice went to steel, knowing what he was saying was unforgivable. “As that metal bitch and her skulls."

The snarl that twisted Bricellus' lip was matched only by the spark of cold rage that shone in his eyes. He rose to his feet, leather beneath his gauntlets creaking, his hands curled into fists. "You are digging your own grave the more quickly that this filth spews from your lips, Donatien. My goodwill toward a friend goes only so far, and you have just about exhausted it."

Donitien didn’t look away, didn’t back down. His voice was firm with belief, with sorrow. "I'm dead already. I miscalculated the strength of our bond and the degree to which you've bought into that psychotic iron cow's delusions of grandeur. I'm sorry."

He turned, reached for a pistol with sudden motion. There was a flash. Bricellus glanced down at his chest, the smoking hole in his the blackened chainmail vest. The slight scorchmark on the Fabiyan Pattern breastplate beneath. A moment later he had closed the distance, smacked the laspistol out of Donatien's hand with one of his own, and grabbed him by the throat with the other. The powered carapace armour he wore beneath the greatcoat made lifting Donatien off his feet all the more easy, and as his fist impacted Donatien's face again and again it was almost like punching a bag of water. He - his knuckles - didn't feel a thing as crunch after crunch landed against the ruined features of what was once a man he called friend.

"I will have your head for this you perfidious wretch. Not only for shooting me, but for daring to question the Lord-Sire's Truth, defamation of the Lord-Sire and for conspiracy to commit regicide. I will--"

The door to Donatien's quarters opened and two hulking Excoriators entered, weapons shouldered. Through the vox-distorter, one speaks. "We detected a weapon discharge, Your Grace."

"The situation is under control."

"Yes sir." The two lowered their weapons and stepped back out of Donatien's quarters after securing the laspistol, closely followed by Bricellus. He dragged Donatien's unconscious form out of his quarters by his hair and reached up to tap the commbead in his ear as it beeped.

"Bricellus here. What is it?"

"Your Grace, a message from the Hierophant on Holy Terra. You are to report to the hangar bay at once and prepare to debark and join him."

"Did I hear you correctly? The Hierophant summons me to the surface?"

"Yes, Your Grace. Immediately."

"On my way." He paused and threw Donatien at the feet of a passing Greycloak. "This man is Traitoris Extremis and guilty of conspiracy against the Lord-Sire. Take him at once to the Cathedral and inform Deacon Claudius that he is to be held for interrogation. See that he does not die before then."

The Greycloak looked more than a little surprised as he nodded "Uh, yes, yes of course Your Grace."

"Thank you."

As Bricellus strode off at speed to head for the hangar bays, the Greycloak muttered to himself with some degree of surprise. "Thank you indeed, didn't expect to hear that from a noble. Will wonders never cease."

edit: Now with 100% more Lowell-added emotional inflection
Lowell's edits
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1jnknpqppuiGH1iFWo8iFoy_5nvKc2V4MEHLl5_UGFpc/edit

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 23, 2015

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
All this hope. We're absolutely sure, 100% that Amacita wasn't a Tzneech cultist?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Arkanomen posted:

All this hope. We're absolutely sure, 100% that Amacita wasn't a Tzneech cultist?

Yeah, she wasn't a cultist. She was just incredibly naive and taken advantage of time and time again. She did good things, but evil people used her for their own gains.

I'll say it again, she was Fredo and we are Michael. She was trying to do her thing for the Family. She did a good job near the end, but, in the end, she challenged the power of the Lord Sire, even if she did or didn't mean to. You just can't do what she did. In our present day, you get massively demoted, staitioned in Alaska, or you get to 'retire'. In 40k, you get dead. Power Politics are a real thing. Calling us the wrong rank, turning her back on us, and treating us as if we are not the most important person in the room is a Power Play. Was the thread whipped into a frenzy beforehand? Yes it was. That doesn't change what was written. Had the exchange gone down differently, I would not have voted the way I did. You just can't ignore open insubordination by your second in command in front of civilians. It just isn't done. As far as I was concerned, 5th or 6th chances are too many.

Despite all this, can we just take her death as an opportunity to get back to where most of us think we should and kind of where we started? I liked being cool with the Dregs and having drag races. I know that the Abrogates rub me the wrong way as well as the Kriegers. I like them for their military benefit, but without Fabian around, these guys suck. I want to be able to try to trust people again. Theta is a good start.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
I kinda do want to go back to the situations were we're in firefights with our buddies and blowing things away personally. I like the overall arc but I want things to go boom up close.

Can we stop with the pedantic Amatica stuff already? It's done for good or for ill.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
We are so hosed and we deserve it.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

VanSandman posted:

We are so hosed and we deserve it.

Why does it seem like everyone grows to hate the MC in every CYOA?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

There Bias Two posted:

Not everyone agrees on actions the character takes/All an individuals minor disagreements compound over time/Ends up hating the inconsistent character

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

There Bias Two posted:

People take decisions going against their vote personally. Their vision of the character becomes tarnished and over the life of a very long CYOA like this and Diogenes', many things compound.

I don't like the direction Ohone is going, but I don't hate the character and don't think we are the worst. I think we were going the direction that kept us alive the longest in impossible situations like with Magos Keira, Mobraxus, Webway, etc. I think that Ohone died, or became mortally wounded with Amacita's death. I'm hoping the next chapter, starting here, we start taking some of Amacita's posthumous suggestions/complaints to heart and change things. We already have a little.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I don't think we would have if Lowell didn't guilt us into doing it :v:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Yeah, I am still very much in the 'gently caress Amacita' camp but Athena is going to wreck us and we'll embrace it.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Well yeah, when we hitched our ride to Athena it was only ever going to end tragically for us personally, but hopefully, humanity would be better off for us having done it. Even this current plan of hers what we aren't supposed to know about would work out kinda good for humans. I mean 95% of all our enemies and armies will be taken out of play. We'll be alone in the stars pretty much, but hey, that's life man.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Let's get the staff!!! Let's throw back to when we were first called a child of Hera and ask her about the Eldar staff.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Well yeah, when we hitched our ride to Athena it was only ever going to end tragically for us personally, but hopefully, humanity would be better off for us having done it. Even this current plan of hers what we aren't supposed to know about would work out kinda good for humans. I mean 95% of all our enemies and armies will be taken out of play. We'll be alone in the stars pretty much, but hey, that's life man.

Alone in the stars. With the rest of the Tyranids. :v:

And orcs. There's always more orcs.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

I, for one, welcome our new Tyranork overlords!

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

paragon1 posted:

Alone in the stars. With the rest of the Tyranids. :v:

And orcs. There's always more orcs.

Orcs? This git dunkna 'ow to spell Ork! 'Ere we go, let's krump um boyz! :orks:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

dog kisser posted:

Not everyone agrees on actions the character takes/All an individuals minor disagreements compound over time/Ends up hating the inconsistent character

Lets not say anything we cant take back :colbert:

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Slaan posted:

Orcs? This git dunkna 'ow to spell Ork! 'Ere we go, let's krump um boyz! :orks:

Come at me bro.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

LowellDND posted:

Lets not say anything we cant take back :colbert:

To be clear, I think Ohone is a multi-layered, confused person - I don't think anything she's done is 'out of character', that's just the kind of person she is. I do think that some people think she's inconsistent, and I can see why - I just disagree!

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

What would help me out a lot would be to being back lettered or numbered options. When we had them, I felt I knew what was more plausible in-universe and could make decisions based on that. Then, if someone had an interesting idea not on the list, we could go from there.

I don't know how feasible that is for you, Lowell, considering how deep we are into this, but it's my $0.02.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

What would help me out a lot would be to being back lettered or numbered options. When we had them, I felt I knew what was more plausible in-universe and could make decisions based on that. Then, if someone had an interesting idea not on the list, we could go from there.

I don't know how feasible that is for you, Lowell, considering how deep we are into this, but it's my $0.02.

Well, the reasons I stopped doing them is because they didnt seem useful :v: most votes merged options or came up with something better. But maybe they help kickstart the percolation?

edit: Honestly, coming up with a good poll takes as long as a typical post :D

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
lettered votes felt like it gave a bit more control over the story, it felt more solid to me. I'm all for bringing them back.

Edit- it might help keep things a little more in control as wel

Kinetica fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Nov 24, 2015

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Personally, I think letters are good sometimes, not all the time. It would prevent the inevitable 'Sure let's just go with plan Tran' even though those are usually decent plans!

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
We almost might go with parties for the direction. Paragon and Renegade but something defined by us the voters.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Grognan posted:

We almost might go with parties for the direction. Paragon and Renegade but something defined by us the voters.

That would make my job a lot easier. Not necessarily 'actions', but 'attitudes, perspectives'. Team paranoia or team humanity or whatever.

Let me look up some flags...

Edit: K, Im tenatively thinking

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic.

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood.

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family.

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do?

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism.

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 24, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Really what I'd suggest is giving some time for "free" suggestions, and then turning THOSE into lettered options for the "proper" vote.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

LowellDND posted:

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism.

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play :commissar:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Team Ricola: Sweet, herbal, hint of menthol. The team to vote for when you think Ohone has a sore throat.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Team Jacob :blush:

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Team Waifusbando: We brook no opposition to Athena and Hera and Faybian. If they ever come to blows, we break down hard.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

reignonyourparade posted:

Really what I'd suggest is giving some time for "free" suggestions, and then turning THOSE into lettered options for the "proper" vote.

Exactly This.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I think most cyoa votes have a few post in option, everyone bandwagons onto the first Semi plausible one. Then there's a big debate. At some point someone else offers another, radically different plan that people start to jump all over just as voting closes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

RandomPauI posted:

Team Ricola: Sweet, herbal, hint of menthol. The team to vote for when you think Ohone has a sore throat.

This is my team.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uz_dehG2M8

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
TEAM PARANOID MAGOS

PURGE
IMPROVE
VICTORY
ONE MAGOS
ONE LORDSIRE

for a better tomorrow

Arkanomen fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Nov 24, 2015

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Team Mars Fed, but with the caveat that we should remain willing to do what's necessary to make it happen in the world as it is, even if it means becoming someone who wouldn't have a place in the world we're trying to create. A happy ending would have Athena overseeing the galaxy, and Fabiyan putting a bullet in our brain.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006

Waci posted:

Team Mars Fed, but with the caveat that we should remain willing to do what's necessary to make it happen in the world as it is, even if it means becoming someone who wouldn't have a place in the world we're trying to create. A happy ending would have Athena overseeing the galaxy, and Fabiyan putting a bullet in our brain.

I am in favor of this approach in general. How will action X lead to this kind of universe? It also incorporates Fabiyan's "We do, so everyone doesn't have to" line of reasoning from Agatha's World.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Team Mars Fed

But I kind of hope after Golgotha Ohone refuses to come back off the ledge, takes a long step off the deep end and the story switches to us being hunted down by our own faction/Athena/grey knights etc as we cut a bloody swath across the shattered remnants of the galaxy. I would especially be down with this if the majority of updates are from the perspective of our once friends and allies.

Dark Heresy: Rogue Trader: Black Crusade :black101:

Outrail fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Nov 24, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I miss the tunnel cats. Ohone missed her calling by not being a military officer, I think.

Also: We haven't leveled in a 110 pages. :stare:

What's our insanity and corruption at lowel, it wasn't listed in the doc. Or do we not use those anymore?