Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
Better yet, ask this: If humanity as a whole is given the choice of whether they should live, though it cost them their humanity, or die as humans, what should they pick? And better yet, who should make the choice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

hollylolly posted:

I'm Team Inquisitor

Love all these conversations. :allears:

I still have 2k words left for the day :v: We want to ask anyone else something, or go to the next shrine? Also, Which shrine?

Tomn posted:

Better yet, ask this: If humanity as a whole is given the choice of whether they should live, though it cost them their humanity, or die as humans, what should they pick? And better yet, who should make the choice?

Oh, good one.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Talk more with Athena. When the conversation sifts to something less serious, attempt flirting with the omnipotent AI.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Waci posted:

Talk more with Athena. When the conversation sifts to something less serious, attempt flirting with the omnipotent AI.

Yes

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

And cheat on Fabiyan? :commissar:

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

LowellDND posted:

And cheat on Fabiyan? :commissar:

A widow remarrying isn't cheating. :colbert:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Day 25
Current: 40,053
Total Goal: 41,666

Survival

You broke the silence. “How about this. If Humanity as a whole were given that choice, whether they should live or remain human, what should they choose? Or, who should make that choice?”
“Well, first I’ll turn the question around on you. What is remaining human? Can someone gain or lose humanity?” Her tone went serious. “Are Minds human to you?”
“Minds are gods, of course. Aspects of the Omnissiah.”
“But are they human?”
“What is human to you?”
“I’m asking you. Are Minds human? Is it a mental state, or in the meat of things? You are less than 5% organics by this point, are you human?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“Because I want to be.” The words seemed to have the truth of clarity to you in that moment.

“Then your question appears to be a tautology. You are stating your premise in the question - that to live is to give up being human, and to be human is to choose to be. Your question repeats itself.”
“I suppose it’s not a good answer in the context of the question.”
“Leaving that aside for now, who decides about Humanity now?”
“Well. Everyone who survives makes the decision to. So they do. And the Inquisition decides who is human or not, and who has kept their Humanity.”
“So does humanity come from a personal decision, or a societal one?”
“Um. I could see it going either way. If I say I’m human, but the =][= says I’m not, I like to think that I still am. But if a mutant says they are, I’m kind of more skeptical.”
“So, you alone decide who is human?”
“Mm. That does sound prideful.”
“A bit.”
You considered. “So if we say humanity comes from desiring it, and that the hypothetical is ‘live and give up humanity, or die’ I guess we are saying desiring to … give up the desire. And I’m not sure why we would do that. Even to stay alive.”
“Well, continue the question. Why is being human desireable?

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood.

Waci
PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
AntiCheese

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do?

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica
Holly

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic.

Van Sandman
Paragon

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism.

Slaan
Ark

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek.

Rahul

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

Volmarias

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
"Process of elimination. The alternatives available to us are undesirable."

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

You know, I actually meant that as a rhetorical question for the thread and wasn't expecting Ohone to actually ask Athena that, but I dig it anyways!

I'll let you know if I come up with a coherent answer to that question, BTW.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tomn posted:

You know, I actually meant that as a rhetorical question for the thread and wasn't expecting Ohone to actually ask Athena that, but I dig it anyways!

I'll let you know if I come up with a coherent answer to that question, BTW.

I think philisophy is an important part of scifi :3:

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Are our legs still organic?

This is important

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Mars Federation.

Put Theta in charge of some Magos-y position on the ship as his reward for finding that gizmo.

gnarl
Jul 28, 2010
Soiled Meat
Team Mars Federation

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Humanity does seem lacking. Embrace Team Xeno. Tau's philosophy, eldar's beauty, ork's ferocity, human's dignity, and AI's 1010101.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Current Mental State

Team Mars Federation. Pragmatic, hopeful, somewhat open minded. Athena's corner, Hera in a good mood.

Waci
PLC
Outrail
dog kisser
Random Paul
Althair
Ralith
Swedish
Arcturas
Toughy
Grognan
Hot Dog
BB Rod
AntiCheese
Zybourne Clock
gnarl

Team Inquisitor: Cautious, practical, subtle, long-term. What would Kozilek do?

JT Jag
Sniper
Hiho
Haystack
Sullat
Tran
Tomn
Kinetica
Holly

Team Magos: Just run the numbers. Cold, clinical, looking for optimization. Not cruel, not empathic.

Van Sandman
Paragon

Team Paranoia: Full Stalin. Paranoia, contempt, authoritarianism.

Slaan
Ark

Team Black Crusade Just as Planned. Max out xenotek, heretek, and warptek.

Rahul

Team Ricola: Riiiiicolllaaaaaaaa
Revitalize the Imperium, soothe scratchy relations, blow alphorns.

Volmarias

Team Xeno
Tau's philosophy, eldar's beauty, ork's ferocity, human's dignity, and AI's 1010101

Nyaa

Team Dynasty: Self interest, personal benefit, increasing the wealth and standing of you and your Family.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Team Xeno

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

maxhush posted:

This is important

Whatever we come up with as a serious answer for Athena's question, lead with this first as a joke.

"What is desirable about being human?"
"Fully organic legs."

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll give it a shot.

"Athena. I consider you a person, a peer, and a living entity that deserves dignity and respect by virtue of existing. You have your own thoughts, feelings, desires. You're free to make choices to the best of your abilities. You may even have a soul.

"I'm human by virtue of the continuity of my physical, mental, and spiritual being from one state to the next. My changes were drastic but there's still been a continuity. Being a human is desirable because it also confers personhood. It also tells the universe that you do not have to have your future determined by chance and fate."

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug
"That which has a human soul"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Before I begin, I'd just like Athena to know that her definition of humanity has opened the Imperium's gates to Eldar, Orkish, and Tau otherkin, FYI. I'm not entirely certain how far I'd agree with her definition, for that reason and others.

But anyways, it's late and I'm tired and I'm not entirely sure that I didn't misunderstand the original exchange, but some thoughts go here.

"If you say that humanity comes from choosing to be human, then to be human is to choose to be one who chooses, to want to be one who wants. To be human is thus at heart to say "I Am," to declare the will and to point at all things in the world beginning with the self and say "That is my desire." Why, then, are there those who want without first wanting to want? Are there those who desire without first desiring desire? If there are, they are the inhuman ones, they and all things which never desire at all, and like unto them are these inhuman ones, as rocks and dirt and blades of grass that exist only to be acted upon. Is such the life you seek? If not, there then is your desire for humanity."

Tomn fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Nov 25, 2015

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

maxhush posted:

This is important
If they aren't right now, I'm sure we have them in a freezer and can swap out the artificial ones for them as soon as we reunite with Fabiyan.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I think you're forgetting Team Waifusbando: Think 'What would Athena/Hera/Faybian do, then try and do it.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

"Let me just slip into something a little more comfortable"

*sensually goes into adjoining operating room to surgically remove legs from silently screaming torso-servitor for reattachment*

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:

VanSandman posted:

I think you're forgetting Team Waifusbando: Think 'What would Athena/Hera/Faybian do, then try and do it.
What would the god emperor do?

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

maxhush posted:

"Let me just slip into something a little more comfortable"

*sensually goes into adjoining operating room to surgically remove legs from silently screaming torso-servitor for reattachment*
This is canon now, you know that right

VanSandman posted:

Team Moral Compass?

ArbitraryTA
May 3, 2011
Team Paranoia seems appropriate, since I did sort of help galvanize people to start doing the purges/executions after the nuke :v:

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Sorry if I'm too late but I think we should gently point out that humanity, to us (as a magos if we have to admit that) is a collection of biologically near-identical creatures blah blah DNA origin on Earth 40K evolution over a like 3 decades don't worry about how that's absurd blah. If her point is that non-humans can valuable or important to humanity then we admit it - Athena has always held the key to humanity's salvation in her eyes - but that same realization when applied to non-Minds is kind of a hard truth for someone that just internalized "it's okay to reward underlings."

If the conversation continues, Ching Shih is half Eldar - which makes her half human. Limosa admires/fetishizes their culture and [grits teeth through realizing he had relations with one] there may be something to learn from them. But it's so hard to separate that from the memory of the horrors in the webway.

We maybe remember the staff after using the Eldar in our clumsy musings on race relations, and ask CS/Hera about it soon.

Then ask Athena if she's okay, because 1) she sounds kind of funny and 2) we just kind of rediscovered that being okay is a thing.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
Also point of clarification the team Mars Fed is our ideology/mission statement but can we use other approaches in certain moments without throwing that out, right?

I like that we can only slowly change our mindset - will probably make for fewer voter riots - but we still have the capability to act as a Kozilek or a Magos would in service of that Star Trek-ey goal, right? Like if some Salamander space marines overheard my suggestion of talking about Eldar to an AI they might have some questions. And in that moment I'd want to be an Inquisitor, not captain Picard.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Athena, since we're walking down this path. What can change the nature of a man?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

We can do all this as long as we Don't skip Space Wolves!

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Team Catgirl be kawaii as gently caress make the imperium kawaii or something

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Don't skip the Space Wolves, but remember that their whole schtick is that they haven't changed at all since the Great Crusade. So, while they were vicious killers that nobody really wanted to associate with then, today they're the honorable paragons of humanity.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

wiegieman posted:

Don't skip the Space Wolves, but remember that their whole schtick is that they haven't changed at all since the Great Crusade. So, while they were vicious killers that nobody really wanted to associate with then, today they're the honorable paragons of humanity.

The only reason people didn't like them was because they were the ones who knocked.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

I just want to see Elrond and Limosas eyebrows fly off when we go to the Space Wolves shrine

You know, Armageddon and all that

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Let's go see the Space Wolves because Ohone has to do just that much more than everyone else.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Still voting to visit all shrines. No half measures.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Waci posted:

Still voting to visit all shrines. No half measures.

I like this idea

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Before we vote on going to all the shrines, is there anything the Lord-Sire was hoping to do after the pilgrimage? Or does he expect to wear out by the end of this?

If he wants to see something on Terra after hitting three shrines we should facilitate him.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Piggy-back carry the Lord-Sire to Big E in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

paragon1 posted:

Piggy-back carry the Lord-Sire to Big E in person.

We apologize for the inconvenience!